HAM RADIO W9FRZ STATUS
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
I had to change the way that people go to amazon to buy things because... you know... why make it easy?. So, just click the link below. Once you're in, you're good to shop.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
Fr. Z’s Blog is a Founding Member of…
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Semper Gumby: I’m with Vicki McKenna on this, the more toxic Top Gun 2 is the better. Every screening of this movie should be attended by a HazMat team, there should be wailing and gnash...
- jaykay: Correction : The choir gallery is on the right, facing the High Altar.
- jaykay: Aiii! Thank you Father! I haven̵ 7;t heard their boys’ ; choir. It looks bigger than Westminste r Cathedral& #8217;s! And what a glorious sound. The Victoria O quam gloriosum is...
- Bob B.: The Daily Caller has a comparison photo of the back of both jackets – the Taiwan and the Japan flag are both missing on the new jacket. It was a great PR movie for the Navy and they...
- roma247: No doubt many will blame this on the fact that it is my birthday. They will likely be correct. Sorry for the trouble. It’s only one day. :)
- trespinos: Praying for you and your son today, Supertradm om, with gratitude for your eminently good example shown in the use of this medium. “Dea th may come, in Love’ ;s safe keeping...
- JonathanTX: For English, press one. ¡Para español, marque el número dos!
- baileymxd: After my third consecutiv e miscarriag e, my husband and I conceived #4 six weeks after. At that point, every positive pregnancy test seemed like a death sentence to us and we were at a...
- Suudy: Unplug the computer for 30 seconds, and restart. Did that fix your problem? No? Ok, I’ll have to elevate your support case. ;)
- TKS: Thank you for your excellent posts over the years. I am praying for you and your son.
- TonyO: Whew, that’ ;s a lot to take in. Thanks, Fr. Z, for sensible and thoughtful teaching. Thanks, especially , for your carefully indicating where you draw your own (very sensible) applic...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): I have one of these crucifixes . It was one of the last gifts my grandmothe r gave me before her death when I was six. She selected it because it most resembled her own,...
- Philmont237: I asked a local priest about this. I’ve pasted his reply below. I was disappoint ed because I was baptized Episcopali an. “Not really. You might be thinking of the various exorci...
- Suburbanbanshee: Father Z — scary story out of Japan, as a crazy arsonist attempted to murder everyone in one of the Kyoto Animation offices, splashed gas on some and set them on fire, and...
- SanSan: I have our familyR 21;sick call” ; crucifix hanging in our kitchen with palms from palm Sunday behind it. So happy it wasn’ ;t lost or discarded.
- Liz: Supertradm om, we will add you to our rosaries and I will offer my mass and Holy Communion for you today, for the grace of a happy death. St. Joseph, pray for us!
- ProfKwasniewski: Thank you, Father. A wonderfull y balanced, perceptive , and nourishing post! (For something written at an airport, it must set a new record for perspicuit y and depth.) I especi...
- Gab: Of course you are correct, Father. Both forms are valid, however there is only one exorcism in the new rite and it only talks about “your only Son… to cast out the power of Satan, spirit of...
- Suburbanbanshee: Praying for you and for your son, Supertradm um! We love you, but He loves you more.
- TonyO: “Most so-called “Catholic vote” groups are little more than shills for the Republican party. If they supported ethnic cleansing, these putzes would find a way to justify it.” That’ ;s...
- Charles Sercer: My understand ing is basically the same as yours. I was baptized in the modern rite and not under extreme circumstan ces, and thus am not a candidate for receiving supplied rites....
- samwise: I appreciate you being there Fr Z! My folks took our family there ages ago to hear Sen Byrd speak nonsense. The Oglebay branding is still the same. Seeing you Priests there does my memory...
- Tina in Ashburn: I never liked grits until I discovered that I had only had BAD grits. Never eat them cold or not freshly made. Grits made correctly are very very close to polenta. Gritty, not...
- Tina in Ashburn: SuperTradM um, teary-eyed to hear your news, fellow commenter. Golly. Prayers and offering up of my sufferings for you. Trust in Jesus no matter what the temptation s are.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- New music from the London Oratory: Sacred Treasures of Spain!
- Toxic Masculinity and Sequels
- What a difference a day made
- ASK FATHER: Traditional “Supplied rites” after emergency or modern rite baptism
- Sick-Call Sets and You
- Day 2 – St. Paul Center Priesthood Conference
- 17 July 1794: “Mother, permission to die?”
- URGENT ACTION ITEM: Note from long-time reader who is dying
- 16 July 1969 – #Apollo11 and Our Lady of Mt Carmel
- Day 1 – St. Paul Center Priesthood Conference
- Mark Shea is sad because seminarians are Catholic
- Amazon Prime Day Discounts
- My View For Awhile: To the East and to priests
- Good VIDEO for people who aren’t familiar with the TLM or with our traditions
- ASK FATHER: Sex before Communion
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – GO TO CONFESSION! – VIDEO
- 13 July: St. Ezra (Esdras), Old Testament Prophet and some spectacular baroque musical weirdness
- SSPX video of their amazing new US church project.
- BOOK: In Praise of the Tridentine Mass and of Latin, Language of the Church
- WDTPRS – 15th Ordinary Sunday: Too far right or too far left, we wind up in the ditch in the dark
- “Damn!”, quoth I. “That’s the spirit.” Coasties getting the job done.
- How credible is “credible” in allegations against priests?
- Tour Talk – #TDF2019 @Le_Tour Stage 6
- What the ‘c’atholic Left is up to on Twitter
- ASK FATHER: Should Catholic parents attend wedding of daughter outside the Church?
- ASK FATHER: “Funeral Liturgy Outside Mass”
- @Church_Militant on the public lynching of Fr. Eduard Perrone
- Really old frozen permafrost critters revived. What could possibly go wrong?
- Tour Talk – 2019 Tour de France
- The Church Militant and You
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Monthly Archives: December 2005
I am gratified to find that some other folks are now thinking through the Successor of Peter’s wardrobe when contributing to the blogosphere. For example, over at the catty Whispers in the Loggia a piece was published (finally) about why … Continue reading
Pillar of Truth is up and running. It looks as if Dave might be a sensible fellow, in that he also comments on the sport God loves the most. He seems to be a former Lutheran and convert to Holy … Continue reading
What Does the Prayer Really Say? Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God Your feedback brightens my dark wintry days! Fr. FW of WA writes via e-mail (edited): Ã¢â‚¬Å“I hear very little but have picked up that the US Bishops seem … Continue reading
I have returned to my native place for the Octave of Christmas. At St. Agnes in St. Paul, MN, there was a fine midnight Mass. A full orchestra and large choir began with traditional and modern Christmas carols at 11:15 … Continue reading
… I guess we will have to wait a while longer. Ratz.
I am back in the USA for Christmas and at my home parish of St. Agnes in St. Paul (MN). There is a marvelous tradition here on Saturday mornings: after the Latin Mass sung in Gregorian Chant by schola (proper) … Continue reading
Papal ceremonies must set liturgical standards, Pope says This is just the sort of news we need to spread around. But first, a comment: I wrote this for the WDTPRS column for the 4th Sunday of Advent: On 5 December … Continue reading
Well… let’s just look at this one. This is on the so-called “Angel Bridge” in front of Castel Sant’Angelo in Rome. In contrast to the heralds of great joy at the birth of the Lord, this angel is holding one … Continue reading
If you are using an aggregator, please use this link. I am having a hard time getting my RSS links set up. http://www.wdtprs.com/blog/wp-rdf.php You can cut and paste that into the right stop when you add a new bookmark. It … Continue reading
Hmmm… I wonder if Pope benedict is competing with Archbishop Raymond Burke of St. Louis visiting a parish in his see where the pre-conciliar liturgy is in constant and exclusive use: This is a cappa magna.
No…. this is not Benedict XVI sporting a seasonal Santa Hat. This is it, the real thing, the camauro of yesteryear. Nor is this one-up-manship on the part of a Pope competing with some kids at the audience of 14 … Continue reading
I made a little O Antiphon page which might be useful to some of you. There are links to audio files of the chant both by the undersigned and the schola cantorum of the North American College in Rome (though … Continue reading
What Does the Prayer Really Say? 4th Sunday of Advent Some feedback. MK of Lake View, NY writes concerning my claim in WDPTRS of 29 November last about the origin of the term Ã¢â‚¬Å“secretÃ¢â‚¬Â which formerly identified the oratio super … Continue reading
What Does the Prayer Really Say? Holy Family – Sunday in the Octave of Christmas Originally our Feast today was celebrated on the first Sunday after Epiphany but after the post-Conciliar reform of the calendar it was moved forward, probably … Continue reading