- If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.
- 2 Chronicles 7:14 RSV
BACK TO SCHOOL SHOPPING?
Please, come here first! Enter Amazon through my search box and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see the search box? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
PS: I added Amazon Search Boxes for the UK and for Canada at the bottom of the blog page. Copy and paste titles I mention into those boxes and - BAZINGA! - results appear as if by magic. Kindle? HERE
US Hardcover - HERE
UK Hardcover - HERE
US Paperback - HERE
UK Paperback - not yet
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
- Matthew Gaul said Perhaps find an Eastern Catholic church? Or attend...
- Matt R said This is the behavior which pushes people to the By...
- mlmc said is it peer reviewed? Sorry that us unlikely to pro...
- Venerator Sti Lot said boxerpaws63, Thanks for the additional detail! (Th...
- Uxixu said I know that Clinton is the epitome of corruption a...
- pfreddys said It is a shame that these fine people are being per...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay) said How many priests who pull this kind of stunt ̵...
- Sword40 said I kind of like what Gracie said. I would “po...
- robtbrown said If I vote for Trump, it will be for one reason: S...
- acardnal said I drive 50 minutes each way every Sunday to attend...
- slainewe said I want to tell this couple to please stand their g...
- Gabriel Syme said greenlight, what about receiving on the tongue fro...
- Adeodata said Furthermore, the Human Genome Project found no LGB...
- Gabriel Syme said TimG, I was trying to draw attention to myself. O...
- momoften said I recently had a “run in” with a local...
- Mar Chabel said EMs haven’t liturgically purified their hand...
- djc said I usher at Sunday Mass and we have to count the nu...
- John Ed said ‘Homosexual persons are called to chastity.&...
- Benedict Joseph said The imperial clericalism demonstrated in this gros...
- asburyfox said For the reader: the 1983 code of canon law states...
- TimG said This reminds me of the time a local pastor pulled...
- Fr Martin Fox said I’m late to this party, but I will vote for...
- Fr Martin Fox said To the correspondent who told this story: I’...
- un-ionized said ts, I feel as you do. We must stand in unity with...
- tzard said One parish we attended disapproved of “chang...
- gracie said If it were me, I’d call the priest’s b...
- Y2Y said “We have advanced in society in regard to th...
- Beth said Padre, I am worried (also because I am of Hispanic...
- mpmaron said If the “born this way” paradigm is tru...
- TWF said It always amazes me that liberal leaning clergy ha...
Without you, there is no blog.
There is a subscription form at the bottom of this page!
Art by D Burkart
- Aedificantium enim unusquisque gladio erat accinctus.
- Nehemiah 4:18
"Where priest and people together face the same way, what we have is a cosmic orientation and also in interpretation of the Eucharist in terms of resurrection and trinitarian theology. Hence it is also an interpretation in terms of parousia, a theology of hope, in which every Mass is an approach to the return of Christ."
Joseph Ratzinger - The Feast of Faith"In those situations where homosexual unions have been legally recognized or have been given the legal status and rights belonging to marriage, clear and emphatic opposition is a duty. ... If all Catholics are obliged to oppose the legal recognition of homosexual unions, Catholic politicians are obliged to do so in a particular way, in keeping with their responsibility as politicians." CDF 2003
Ham Radio Stuff
Fr. Z - W9FRZ - OFF
QRV on: 00m 00000
Check Echolink WB0YLE-R - OFF
"One of the few things in life you can be absolutely sure about is that, if Management tells you it doesn't like your Tone, you are getting something right."
"Latin is a precise, essential language. It will be abandoned, not because it is unsuitable for the new requirements of progress, but because the new men will not be suitable for it. When the age of demagogues and charlatans begins, a language like Latin will no longer be useful, and any oaf will be able to give a speech in public and talk in such a way that he will not be kicked off the stage. The secret to this will consist in the fact that, by making use of words that are general, elusive, and sound good, he will be able to speak for an hour without saying anything. With Latin, this is impossible."
- - Giovanni Guareschi
Support them with prayer and fasting.
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
"We as Catholics have not properly combated (the culture) because we have not been taught our Catholic Faith, especially in the depth needed to address these grave evils of our time. This is a failure of catechesis both of children and young people that has been going on for fifty years. It is being addressed, but it needs much more radical attention... What has also contributed greatly to the situation is an exaltation of the virtue of tolerance which is falsely seen as the virtue which governs all other virtues. In other words, we should tolerate other people in their immoral actions to the extent that we seem also to accept the moral wrong. Tolerance is a virtue, but it is certainly not the principal virtue; the principal virtue is charity... Charity means speaking the truth. I have encountered it (not speaking the truth) many times myself as a priest and bishop. It is something we simply need to address. There is far too much silence — people do not want to talk about it because the topic is not 'politically correct.' But we cannot be silent any longer."
Raymond Card. Burke
Help the Sisters. They have a building project. Get great soap (gifts, etc.) while helping REAL nuns!
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee) and Norcia (beer)!
Some OBLIGATORY reading…
Leave Voice Mail for Fr. Z
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…... and there will be nearly 1,000,000 page loads this month.
A great hymnal…
Find a Quality Realtor. Support the Gospel of Life!
If you, or someone you know, needs to buy or sell a house, office, or any kind of domestic or commercial property anywhere in the world, call Real Estate For Life on 1-877-LIFE-US1. They connect you with an expert agent with a proven track-record from a local franchised broker or strong independent. When the sale is completed, the agent gives a portion of their fee to Real Estate For Life as a referral fee. Real Estate For Life gives 80% of that fee to one of the pro-life organizations they work with: a house with a value of $150,000 means $1000 goes to the pro-life organization. It doesn't cost you anything.
And for your cybersecurity…
Mystic Monk Coffee also has TEA!
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
My wish lists
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- St. John Paul II
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
A morsel for thought…
"If your work is strong enough for someone to hate you, it's strong enough for someone to love you. The middle is what you should fear."
- Sean McCabe @seanwes
- Wherein Fr. Z asks readers to offer the Fishwrap some constructive help
- ASK FATHER: Only half-way decent parish near us is still not good. What to do?
- New scientific study concludes NOT “born that way”
- A proposal for wymynpriests
- PRP: 5th Glorious Mystery: The Coronation of Our Lady
- ASK FATHER: Converts trying to make 1st Confession –
- Detroit’s crafty new tax on churches
- 22 August: Immaculate Heart and Queenship of Mary
- Reader Feedback
- Must. Have. One.
- The USA Solar Eclipse of 2017 – signs in the heavens
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- A blast from the not too distant past
- Pope Francis’ Angelus: “our life is not a video game or a soap opera; our life is serious”
- ASK FATHER: People say Mass prayers together with the priest
- POLL: For whom will you vote in the 2016 Presidential Election?
- WDTPRS – 14th Sunday after Pentecost: healths, hands and the finger
- ACTION ITEM! Birettas for Seminarians Project!
- New art from Daniel Mitsui: The Mass of St Gregory
- WDTPRS – 21st Sunday of Ordinary Time: When “values” replace “virtues”
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- Bp. Zubik (D. Pittburgh): “The No. 1 priority has to be, ‘We need to make our worship better.’”
- Pre-Order Pope Benedict’s new book – Last Testament: in his own words
- 14 Sept – Solemn Mass in the Bronx!
- Wherein Fr. Z has a little fun with Jesuit mockery
- Italian Islamic leader wants legal recognition of polygamy
- In the depths of August, Pope Francis makes surprising appointments for Laity and Family
- Swetland v. Spencer: Is Islam a “Religion of Peace” – a hot debate
- ASK FATHER: Can Lectors still bless bread and fruit?
- PHOTOS: 15 August – Assumption Solemn Mass of Reparation for Sacrilege and Blasphemy
For your consideration…
"One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting."
- C.S. Lewis
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Please follow me on Twitter!
- "It will never be known what acts of cowardice have been committed for fear of not looking sufficiently progressive."
Charles Pierre Péguy Notre Patrie, 1905"If I ought to write the truth, I am of the mind that I ought to flee all meetings of bishops, because I have never seen any happy or satisfactory outcome to any council, nor one that has deterred evils more than it has occasioned their acceptance and growth."
St. Gregory Nazianzus ep. 131 - AD 382“We will conquer your Rome, break your crosses, and enslave your women. If we do not reach that time, then our children and grandchildren will reach it, and they will sell your sons as slaves at the slave market.”
Reading and gift ideas!
Monthly Archives: December 2005
I am gratified to find that some other folks are now thinking through the Successor of Peter’s wardrobe when contributing to the blogosphere. For example, over at the catty Whispers in the Loggia a piece was published (finally) about why … Continue reading
Pillar of Truth is up and running. It looks as if Dave might be a sensible fellow, in that he also comments on the sport God loves the most. He seems to be a former Lutheran and convert to Holy … Continue reading
What Does the Prayer Really Say? Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God Your feedback brightens my dark wintry days! Fr. FW of WA writes via e-mail (edited): Ã¢â‚¬Å“I hear very little but have picked up that the US Bishops seem … Continue reading
I have returned to my native place for the Octave of Christmas. At St. Agnes in St. Paul, MN, there was a fine midnight Mass. A full orchestra and large choir began with traditional and modern Christmas carols at 11:15 … Continue reading
… I guess we will have to wait a while longer. Ratz.
I am back in the USA for Christmas and at my home parish of St. Agnes in St. Paul (MN). There is a marvelous tradition here on Saturday mornings: after the Latin Mass sung in Gregorian Chant by schola (proper) … Continue reading
Papal ceremonies must set liturgical standards, Pope says This is just the sort of news we need to spread around. But first, a comment: I wrote this for the WDTPRS column for the 4th Sunday of Advent: On 5 December … Continue reading
Well… let’s just look at this one. This is on the so-called “Angel Bridge” in front of Castel Sant’Angelo in Rome. In contrast to the heralds of great joy at the birth of the Lord, this angel is holding one … Continue reading
If you are using an aggregator, please use this link. I am having a hard time getting my RSS links set up. http://www.wdtprs.com/blog/wp-rdf.php You can cut and paste that into the right stop when you add a new bookmark. It … Continue reading
Hmmm… I wonder if Pope benedict is competing with Archbishop Raymond Burke of St. Louis visiting a parish in his see where the pre-conciliar liturgy is in constant and exclusive use: This is a cappa magna.
No…. this is not Benedict XVI sporting a seasonal Santa Hat. This is it, the real thing, the camauro of yesteryear. Nor is this one-up-manship on the part of a Pope competing with some kids at the audience of 14 … Continue reading
I made a little O Antiphon page which might be useful to some of you. There are links to audio files of the chant both by the undersigned and the schola cantorum of the North American College in Rome (though … Continue reading
What Does the Prayer Really Say? 4th Sunday of Advent Some feedback. MK of Lake View, NY writes concerning my claim in WDPTRS of 29 November last about the origin of the term Ã¢â‚¬Å“secretÃ¢â‚¬Â which formerly identified the oratio super … Continue reading
What Does the Prayer Really Say? Holy Family – Sunday in the Octave of Christmas Originally our Feast today was celebrated on the first Sunday after Epiphany but after the post-Conciliar reform of the calendar it was moved forward, probably … Continue reading