Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- LarryW2LJ: As Inigo Montoya would say: “Par adigm shift? You keep using those words. I do not think they mean what you think they mean.̶ 1;
- Semper Gumby: Great article by Fr. Longenecke r, a methodical and solid correction of Fr. Martin. God willing, Fr. Martin will accept at least some of the correction . Thought I’d mention...
- richiedel: I would like to tell Cdl. Cupich the following: The world teaches families to do what feels good and to be accepting of family members who do things you may not agree with, then, when...
- adriennep: HeatherPA, I feel your pain, as I’m also a rural Catholic desirous of a classical education. But rejoice, there are options now. Not only can you get a great classical education online...
- JabbaPapa: The Catholicit y is not a “par adigm̶ 1; — I also think that those who are over-using this word in recent times are mis-using it from a lack of understand ing of what it...
- Fr. Lovell: I was ordained a priest just six weeks prior to the release of “Summorum Pontificum .” I mention this because from the very beginning I have experience d the joy of the EF as well as...
- Kathleen10: Heh, just wait til Vatican II gets beatified along with Paul VI. They’ ;re making it all but illegal, and if they can make it illegal, they will. Their intentions are perfec...
- Michaelus: This is how young people can change the world! It really happened: https://ww w.heraldo. es/noticia s/ocio-cul tura/2018/ 02/14/el-p regon-sant iago-compo stela-ofen dio-virgen -del-pi...
- Henry Edwards: The “Rec tor’ s shrineR 21;??? Thanks for letting us know how cordially our NATIONAL Shrine (aka “Ame rica’ ;s church) welcomes TLM priests. Good to remem...
- Father Totton: I experience d a similar challenge recently at the Shrine. I was in DC back in October and I had requested ahead of time to offer a private Mass in the Lourdes Chapel (I didn...
- adriennep: The spectacula r G. A. Henty (spelled with a t) novels come highly recommende d by homeschool families with boys. They are written before 1900 but so dense and historical ly accurate. He...
- Lucas: jbazchicag o: He is definitely a priest looking for advancemen t, I’m sure he’l l get it sooner rather than later. Fr Z: I’m not surprised about your issues. There was...
- JamesA: “Dr. H. D’um py” ? (Insert uproarious laughter) Excellent. If His Excellency insists there is no rupture, then that means the age-old teaching of the Church is unchang...
- momoften: I homeschool . I have been for about 20 years. I am not perfect at it. I am not a teacher. I know what I do want for my kids. I want the best mass, best churches I can go to in the city I...
- Joy65: How very sad. This hurts my heart. Whether one or 1000 or more each deserves the Adoration and reverence of Our Lord. Praying that in the future this situation will be thought about ahead of...
- Fr.JP: When St JPII visited NZ in 1986 and a large outdoor Mass was held in Christchur ch at the then Lancaster Park, a similar thing happened – too many hosts consecrate d – but...
- bobbird: This was texted to me by a fellow retired teacher: Young Girl: “Dea r God, why do you permit these terrible school shootings to take place?R 21; God: “I 8217;m sorry, but...
- bcstudent: I think that there are certain evangelica l benefits from having public mega-Masse s. When roads are closed or stadiums are filled with practicing Catholics praying the Holy Mass it is a...
- Grateful to be Catholic: A Pontifical Solemn Mass according to the Missal of 1962 will be celebrated at the High Altar of the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception on April...
- David L Alexander: I understand there is a specific chapel (Our Lady of Lourdes) that is used for the TLM. It has its own very small sacristy with suitable vestments and other accoutreme nt. I...
- wmeyer: As to paper vs. Kindle, I think it an excellent idea to give real books to the children. First, because the experience of the book, and freedom from other distractio ns, is part of the...
- HeatherPA: This makes my heart sink, worrying about the Lord being subject to sacrilege because they didn’t use prudence or want to upset anyone over poor attendence ? I truly hope that His Sacred...
- John UK: Don’ t get me started, Father! 1) I understand that when JPII celebrated on Pontcanna Fields in Cardiff on his papal visit so many Hosts were over-conse crated that that they were...
- GypsyMom: My husband and I run a small homeschool “co- op” using an accredited Catholic classical curriculum . The materials are solid and trustworth y, and the students get a good...
- Semper Gumby: I agree with other commenters about reading aloud, printed books over screens at that age, and reading Tolkien first before viewing those movies. MacCheese: For a 10 year-old boy, a...
CLICK and say your daily offering!
- Of “paradigm shift” interest
- Spain: young people dancing a jota in reparation for blasphemy against the Blessed Virgin
- Mega-Masses and too many Hosts
- The State v. Self-Reliance
- LENTCAzT 2018 07 – Tuesday in the 1st Week of Lent: subtle temptation
- Attacks on the family
- My View For Awhile: Capital Edition
- Books for boys. Suggested titles and an additional point.
- LENTCAzT 2018 06 – Monday in the 1st Week of Lent: “I warned you!”
- Wherein Fr Longenecker schools @JamesMartinSJ
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS 1st Sunday of Lent (N.O.): The Lenten “Sacrament”
- LENTCAzT 2018 05 – 1st Sunday of Lent: Anger and Reason
- Commandments are NOT mere “ideals” from which some are excused because, “They’re tooo haaard!” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- JUST TOO COOL – Cops, ashes, and podcasts
- VIDEO Fr. Murray and Prof. Royal on some tough issues
- LENTCAzT 2018 04 – Ash Saturday: Getting ready for… it.
- Pontifical Requiem Mass for a great lover of the Church’s sacred liturgy
- LENTCAzT 2018 03 – Ash Friday: Grant me a little more time
- Role of #MSM in mass shootings: If it bleeds, it leads. Angry @fatherz asks fearful questions
- Wherein Fr. Z rants in the wake of the Florida school mass murder
- Friday after Ash Wednesday: Feast of the Crown of Thorns
- LENTCAzT 2018 02 – Ash Thursday: What you are I was, what I am you shall be.
- Your #AshWednesday Sermon Notes #ashtag – AUDIO Fr Z
- Ash Wednesday, Fasting, Abstaining, and You – with notes on alligator, endothermic moonfish, and muskrat
- LENTCAzT 2018 01: Ash Wednesday – Unto dust thou shalt return.
- Fun with @OneMadMomBlog – BuzzFeed – Alt-Right and @SebGorka
- LENTCAzT 2018 00: Shrove Tuesday – Get out your armor, pilgrim’s shoes and cloaks
- Singing and confession – Just Too Cool!
- Writing to Fr. Z
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
READER DONATIONS FROM…
- - FEBRUARY - AKP (monthly), NF (monthly), JB (monthly), AS (monthly), PC (monthly), LL (monthly), MG (monthly), AR (monthly), A LLC (monthly), TS (monthly), MMcG (monthly), CRN (monthly), AK (monthly), LM (monthly), TB (Amazon Kindle Wish List), MJC (monthly), LC (monthly), JJ (monthly), TT (monthly), KZ, MR, MR, JW (monthly), BMcC! (monthly), TR (monthly), BB (monthly), MD (monthly), MMcH (monthly), MW (monthly), EDJr (monthly), PE (monthly), AD ($1/day), TS (monthly), RL (monthly), KT (monthly), TeachNarnia.com (monthly), AP (monthly), JC (monthly), CHEJr! (monthly), AM (monthly), RetroToyCo (monthly), SS (monthly), MD ($1/day), AP (monthly), RL (monthly), AR (monthly), CF (monthly), RK (monthly), TY (monthly), J-AF (monthly), MG (monthly), Fr MF (monthly), JH (monthly), SK (monthly), LS (monthly), AP (monthly), CO'C (monthly), ML ($1/day), NS (monthly), KC (monthly), SH (monthly), NA (monthly), JR (monthly), MK (monthly), MF (monthly), PS (monthly), ST (monthly), FF (monthly), FW (monthly), TB (monthly), JL!!, EL!!, DJ (monthly), JB (monthly), FV (monthly), JL (monthly), RMcE (monthly), DE (monthly), JO!!!!!, CB (monthly), PL (monthly), BS (monthly), MS ($1/day), TB (monthly), SB (monthly), BK (monthly), WH (monthly), PMcD (monthly), RW (monthly), St Augustine Academy Press ($1/day), JM (monthly), JC (monthly), CB (monthly), VR (monthly), BB (monthly), MW (monthly), BC (monthly), MK (monthly), FZ (monthly - NEW), TP (monthly), JE (monthly), DJ (monthly), WB (monthly), PO (monthly), GG!! (monthly), ML (monthly), CK (monthly), SZ (monthly), St. Emiliani's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves (monthly), KB (monthly), JP (monthly), JB (monthly), SH (monthly), BC (monthly), SC (monthly), LS (monthly), LM (monthly), SJ (monthly), SS (monthly), CS (monthly), CDeK (monthly), MM (monthly), JWM (monthly), DC ($1/day), TB (monthly), MS (monthly), DRFB (monthly), LJS (monthly), CK (monthly), MH (monthly), PMcG (monthly), RJ (monthly), LL (monthly), DC (monthly), MH, JS (monthly), CR (monthly), KE (monthly), MH )$1/day), CJ (monthly), GZ, KH (monthly), AN (monthly), SJS (monthly), DG (monthly), DG, RM, RW (monthly), JP (monthly), MR (monthly), SMcK-D (monthly), AW, CJG (monthly), GBJD (monthly), MG (monthly), JO (monthly)
To set up a recurring, monthly donation via PAYPAL (even a small one) go to the bottom of this blog and look for the drop down menu! Do you want yet another alternative to PayPal? I have set up an account with CONTINUE TO GIVE Get a link to donate via CONTINUE TO GIVE using your smart phone.
They take a larger percent taste, but they are an alternative.
Send snail mail to:
Fr. John Zuhlsdorf
733 Struck St.
PO BOX 44603 Madison, WI 53744-4603
I remember benefactors in my prayers and periodically say Mass for your intention.
Be a “Zed-Head”!
Fathers, you don’t know who might show up! It could be a “big fish” of one sort or other…
And... GO TO CONFESSION!
“And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.”
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Support Military Chaplains!
Visits tracked by Statcounter since Sat., 25 Nov. 2006:
What people say about Fr. Z
"The great Father Zed, Archiblogopoios" - Fr. John Hunwicke
"Some 2 bit novus ordo cleric" - Anonymous
"Rev. John Zuhlsdorf, a traditionalist blogger who has never shied from picking fights with priests, bishops or cardinals when liturgical abuses are concerned." - Kractivism
"Father John Zuhlsdorf is a crank" "Father Zuhlsdorf drives me crazy" "the hate-filled Father John Zuhlsford" [sic]
"Father John Zuhlsdorf, the right wing priest who has a penchant for referring to NCR as the 'fishwrap'" - Michael Sean Winters
"Fr Z is a true phenomenon of the information age: a power blogger and a priest." - Anna Arco
“Given that Rorate Coeli and Shea are mad at Fr. Z, I think it proves Fr. Z knows what he is doing and he is right.” - Comment
"Let me be clear. Fr. Z is a shock jock, mostly. His readership is vast and touchy. They like to be provoked and react with speed and fury." - Sam Rocha
"Father Z’s Blog is a bright star on a cloudy night." - Comment
"A cross between Kung Fu Panda and Wolverine." - Anonymous
Fr. Z is officially a hybrid of Gandalf and Obi-Wan XD - Comment
Rev. John Zuhlsdorf, a scrappy blogger popular with the Catholic right. - America Magazine
RC integralist who prays like an evangelical fundamentalist. -Austen Ivereigh on Twitter
[T]he even more mainline Catholic Fr. Z. blog. -Deus Ex Machina
“For me the saddest thing about Father Z’s blog is how cruel it is.... It’s astonishing to me that a priest could traffic in such cruelty and hatred.” - Jesuit homosexualist James Martin to BuzzFeed
Fr. Z's is one of the more cheerful blogs out there and he is careful about keeping the crazies out of his commboxes - Paul in comment at 1 Peter 5
I am a Roman Catholic, in no small part, because of your blog.
I am a TLM-going Catholic, in no small part, because of your blog.
And I am in a state of grace today, in no small part, because of your blog.
- Tom in comment
Our Lady of the Clergy, Pray for us!