Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Benedict Joseph: It’s either clueless or feigning cluelessne ss. Either way its off the rails. May the Romper Room Synod reveal itself for exactly what it is without ambiguity.
- MissBee: Father I scrolled down and said aloud, at my desk, “wha t the hell is that?̶ 1;. Hopefully I am not in a state of venial or mortal sin, now.
- un-ionized: dbf223, the sodomy rainbow has six colors, not seven, indigo is missing. God’ s rainbow has seven colors.
- Malta: I wonder what the gay-friend ly Pope has to say about this: https://ww w1.cbn.com /cbnnews/u s/2018/oct ober/switz erland-vot es-to-crim inalize-ho mophobia-a nd-hate-sp eech Switzerlan d...
- Archlaic: @chantgirl : you read my mind and saved me the trouble of trying to format a list on a small screen! All I can add is: someone please throw a net over him and get him off the stage!...
- Man-o-words: Kinda hard to ignore the pattern.
- chantgirl: A rainbow cross, right now, while our sodocleric alist scandals are raging? The Synod is looking like one big grooming party. We are not to believe our lying eyes when: -Francis refuses...
- JuliB: The explanatio ns are ridiculous and insulting. While it references some obscure youth organizati on, and could also be compared to the promise to Noah, but… the rest of the world...
- SanSan: Grateful for you *grateful* and for all the faithful who love and understand the plight of all of our brothers and sisters. God is in charge. All is well. Peace.
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): Vincent196 7 says: But now, now, I have to make known where I am. I have posted in the past who/what I am, but also and as well my desire and prayer to accept the challe...
- MrsMacD: @iPadre And a sombrero!! He he he.
- iPadre: Matching ferula, mitre, and vestments? ;-)
- Grateful to be Catholic: I have also heard that “dark satanic mills” refers to the universiti es that where becoming unhinged from their religious origins and embracing scientific positivism and...
- MaHrad: Even if those colors have meaning other than an LGBT flag, why do they need to be in that order? Having kids with lots of colored toys, I’m well aware that you can order the colors...
- MrsMacD: I think that cross is hideous. I hate how sodomites have stolen our precious rainbow for their filthy sin promotion. I wish/pray Pope Francis becomes a Catholic and a saint. Dear Vincent...
- Charivari Rob: Thank you, Will.
- dbf223: The optics here are clearly bad, but there̵ 7;s some clear difference s from LGBT symbolism: – The cross does not include the color purple, whereas gay pride rainbows all feature...
- Il Ratzingeriano: Adding to my previous comment, I for one cannot make light of this. It is deeply upsetting to me. It is worse than merely giving a signal of support to gay rights and in the...
- Il Ratzingeriano: It is a sacrilege pure and simple. The rainbow colors signify the approval of sodomy, which is a sin that cries out to heaven for vengeance. Lying is also a sin. It theref...
- Man-o-words: It is always dangerous, and probably sinful, to guess or assign intent to another 217;s actions. I actually believe that falls well in the realm of bearing false witness, as we...
- Ave Maria: It goes well with that thingy of a staff he was carrying that could be interprete d as a “sta ng”. They just keep pushing the envelope and keep the scandals coming.
- Joy65: Dear Lord, PLEASE continue to give your good, holy, devout, TRUE Priests and clergy the graces they need to do YOUR will in YOUR Church. PLEASE Father Son Holy Spirit, Blessed Mother Mary,...
- hwriggles4: Years ago, even up to circa 1970s, I heard it was common to sterilize men and women with disabiliti es such as Downs Syndrome and mental retardatio n (that̵ 7;s what therapi...
- cwhitty: The clergy, especially this blog, have such an obsession with blaming homosexual ity for everything . I highly doubt that that is the real source of the problem of clerical sexual abuse....
- KateD: Vincent196 7, What has been going on in the Church has made me look hard at my faith, too and caused me to contemplat e…. options. There will always be a Judas quotient among those...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- The massive, glaring, screaming lacuna in #Synod2018
- Requests for GREGORIAN MASSES and priests who can say them
- WHAT IS THAT? Francis wearing rainbow colored Cross.
- 23 October: Bp. Egan of @PortsmouthRC calls for Masses of Reparation
- Eugenics in our recent past
- Some good news from Montana, a laugh, and some reactions to Paul VI canonization
- 16 October 1978: Election of John Paul II – 40 YEARS!
- Archbp. Chaput interviewed by The Pill – #sodoclericalism
- Fr. Longenecker: “ALL ARE WELCOME…TO WHAT EXACTLY?”
- #Synod2018 concerns in a couple of sharp sentences. Then Fr. Z rants.
- 15 Oct: St. Teresa, calendars and fascinating fountains! (A note to NAC seminarians and Rome denizens.)
- ASK FATHER: Celebrating Conciliar Saint Popes in the Traditional Roman Rite
- The future of the Church (hint – NOT #Synod2018)
- How the Left rolls
- #Synod2018 underway but there are no rules. Making it up as they go?
- ASK FATHER: Coalition in Support of “Ecclessia Dei” – What’s up?
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Dodging Global Extinction Events
- VIDEO: Pro-abortion propaganda v. Catholics in NYC
- JUST TOO COOL: The ‘tricolours’ ensign of Le Généreux, captured by Nelson on display
- ASK FATHER: Pastor won’t allow TLM wedding in “his church”
- WDTPRS – 28th Ordinary Sunday: Fascinating Collect, seminar on grace!
- The unhinged Left now turns to satanism, witchcraft to fight Pres. Trump, Justice Kavanaugh
- SSPX Superior Fr. Pagliarani interview: “we have to have souls ready for all sorts of sacrifices”
- What to do with former-Card. McCarrick’s galero in the @WashArchdiocese Cathedral
- Something fun for Friday
- ASK FATHER: ” I feel that my Faith is just being torn apart”
- URGENT PRAYER REQUEST: Australia and removal of all abortion restrictions
- Francis accepted Card. Wuerl’s two year old resignation, wrote him a Letter
- ASK FATHER: Official Latin of Fatima Rosary Prayer
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Daily Archives: 26 January 2006
One of the things that keeps me a) in touch with the USA and b) sane is listening to streams of various radio and TV shows in my native land. One I particularly like is William Bennett’s Morning in … Continue reading
Most Rev. Alexander K Sample
Bishop of Marquette
Photo: Upper Penninsula Catholic
In all the flurry of activity in the wake of the new encyclical of Pope Benedict, let us not forget to pray for the (now) youngest bishop in the USA, … Continue reading
“The Christian’s programme Ã¢â‚¬â€the programme of the Good Samaritan, the programme of JesusÃ¢â‚¬â€is Ã¢â‚¬Å“a heart which seesÃ¢â‚¬Â Continue reading
Consider: we can study about God and our faith. But really the object of study is a living Person, not a set of abstractions. We need the sort of knowledge of God that draws us into Him. This is a Ã¢â‚¬Å“knowledgeÃ¢â‚¬Â which reaches into us, seizes us, pulls us into itself and transforms us. To experience GodÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s love is to have certain knowledge, more certain than any knowledge which can be arrived at by means of merely rational examination (but not in opposition to it). Continue reading
Knowledge and love are interconnected. The more you get to know a person, the more reason you have to love him (rememberÃ¢â‚¬Â¦ love seeks the other personÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s good in charity even if a person is unlikable). Reciprocally, the more you love someone or (in the generic sense of love) something, the more you want to know about him and spend time getting to know him. For example, Billy is fascinated by bugs. From this Ã¢â‚¬Å“loveÃ¢â‚¬Â for bugs Billy wants to know everything there is to know about them. He works hard to learn and thus launches a brilliant career in entomology. Given Our CreatorÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s priority in all things, how much more ought we seek to know and love God first and foremost of all and then, in proper order, know and love GodÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s images, our neighbors? He is far more important that the bugs He created. Even spouses must love God more than they love each other. Only then can they love each other properly according to GodÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s plan. Continue reading
By our baptism we are made capable of receiving the benefits of the Ã¢â‚¬Å“gift of our redemptionÃ¢â‚¬Â. By the spiritual (and physical) nourishment offered us in the Eucharist, we simultaneously progress toward our ultimate goal of heaven and we are strengthened for our work here. Chronologically heaven comes later. At the same time, if we desire to be spiritually healthy and later attain that heaven, we must adhere closely to the here and now. Nevertheless, our goal of heaven must always have a logical priority over what we are doing here. The Ã¢â‚¬Å“nowÃ¢â‚¬Â is important because the Ã¢â‚¬Å“laterÃ¢â‚¬Â is more important. We cannot let the present, or the world, blind us to the priority that lies in the future bliss of heaven and the spiritual realm. Our liturgy (music, art, vestments, architecture, gestures, etc.), being a foretaste of the heavenly banquet must give priority to the spiritual and not the worldly, while at the same time it embraces and transforms the world. The Eucharist is the food which changes us into what It is, rather than the other way around. Continue reading
Thus, for decades there has been nearly a maniacal effort to tear Ã¢â‚¬Å“extraÃ¢â‚¬Â altars out of churches, even historic churches. When this was coupled with the goofy idea that the priest must face the people over a table-like altar, the result was that the main altars of churches, often placed in the back of the apse contiguous to the wall, were liturgically reformed with crowbars and jackhammers. At best they were turned into shelves for potted plants. Now, as it turns out, the whole cobbled-together historical foundation for mass facing the people has been debunked with real scholarship. Still, the damage has been done in countless older churches. Continue reading
Bob can Ã¢â‚¬Å“loveÃ¢â‚¬Â his Ferrari, Susie can Ã¢â‚¬Å“loveÃ¢â‚¬Â her kitty, and without doubt we all Ã¢â‚¬Å“loveÃ¢â‚¬Â baseball and spaghetti. We can talk about the different tenors of love, such as the love of benevolence, or of complacence, of enemies, concupiscence. But we are called to a special sort of love in this prayer… true charity: the infused virtue which makes it possible for us to love God for His own sake and love all those who are made in His image. This is more than benevolence or tolerance, more than appetitive desire. Love is not merely a response to some appetite, like seeing a beautiful member of the opposite sex, a well-turned double-play, or a plate of spaghetti allÃ¢â‚¬â„¢amatriciana. It isnÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t the sloppy gazing of passion drunk sweethearts or what we see on TV primetime. I call that luv. Real love is the adhesion of the will to an object which is grasped by the intellect to be good. Real love, the sort of love invoked in our prayer, is an act of will. This love delights in the other and is informed by a longing for the good of the other. It makes two resound with one spirit. Love, in the sense this prayer offers, is an act of will based on the work of a discerning intellect that is reshaped and informed by grace. This why we find in our prayer that phrase rationabilis affectus. Continue reading