HAM RADIO W9FRZ STATUS
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
I had to change the way that people go to amazon to buy things because... you know... why make it easy?. So, just click the link below. Once you're in, you're good to shop.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
My Twitter – @fatherz
Beautiful, heirloom quality Rosaries
Fr. Z’s Blog is a Founding Member of…
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
2020 TLM Pilgrimage to the Holy Land
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Transportsjoie: Thank you – I will look for it!
- Volanges: glennbcnu says: Just curious if there are laws in the USA for the disturbanc e of a religious service? In Canada those disrupting a service can be charged under section 176 (2) of the...
- KateD: Father, may I suggest an addition to your list? Abolish the three days of darkness that is L. A. Congress. Most catechists I’ve encountere d are well intentione d parishione rs just...
- KateD: F W I W Sometimes one may encounter regulation s about jewelry that may cause difficulty for the wearer of a scapular. A couple of years ago as we sat waiting for our son’ s soccer...
- Charivari Rob: On Vacation – sorely needed. Yesterday – slept in (a luxury in itself), an afternoon at Valley Forge, and wonderful dinner at a restaurant in Easton, PA on tap for today...
- RK3: Fr. Z., you don’ t have a comment box for “Mon day Morning Brain Jumpstart: some good reading 221;. Is that a mistake? I would like to comment on “Wil l Only a Few Be...
- JonPatrick: Recently received a copy of “Voy age to Alpha Centauri 8221;. It is so good, I end up staying up past my bedtime to read it as I can’ t put it down.
- iamlucky13: I might need to try some liturgical play at home with my 4 year old to see if it inspires some semblance of attention during Mass, rather than the constant struggle to keep him from...
- roma247: Was visiting my parents out of town and went to Mass at a perfectly dreadful modern churchR 11;you know, the kind that looks like a megachurch , with an enormous submersion font in the...
- TonyO: Gorgeous, breathtaki ng chant and the shrill screams and cries of babies, toddlers, and the occasional overtired and hungry preschoole r. All emanating from the back of the church that we...
- Julia_Augusta: After 2.5 months on holiday on various Greek islands, in Turkey and on safari in Africa, I finally ended up in a city with a TLM. I went to Confession immediatel y, and went to Mass...
- bartlep: There are so many good, orthodox religious orders to which to contribute , as well as pro-life organizati ons, Catholic organizati ons that rescue sex-traffi cked girls — so many that do...
- TonyO: I love it I love it I love it. Fr. Z is great! There is always door number 5 as well, but that is not much of a consolatio n prize. I heard its very hot in that location. I think this is...
- Kate: A daughter who received her habit on the Feast of the Assumption !
- Fr Martin Fox: I spoke about the Pew study and also included an exerpt of the Archbishop ’s letter about welcoming and assisting migrants, per his request. I connected them with St. Paul...
- hwriggles4: After seeing this video, here’ ;s a few questions for these disruptors , many who look like they graduated high school between 1963 and 1971: 1. If you have children, how many are...
- Sonshine135: There is always door number 5 as well, but that is not much of a consolatio n prize. I heard its very hot in that location.
- ejcmartin: Mr. Esolen might be thankful that they use “Glo ry and PraiseR 21; and not “Cat holic Book of Worship III,” ; (CBWIII) which was published by the CCCB. CBWIII is a...
- jameeka: Father C had a good homily for 20th Sunday in Ordinary Time. Started by talking about dysfunctio nal families-a nd said even Jesus extended family (cousins, etc) thought He was “nuts”....
- Semper Gumby: Great post Fr. Z. Those rebellious folks should realize that Holy Mass is not the place to relive Woodstock. A protestor wearing a Ft. Sherman Jungle Operations Training Center...
- Michael: The good news: I’ve made it just about halfway across the country (about 100 miles to go) on my Walk Across America mission for the Lord. Thanks to those who have been praying for me.
- Mike: [as an aside̷ 0;] Two men go into the Temple [church] to pray… ; How seldom we find men doing that these days. Why do we leave it to the womenfolk outside of Mass time?
- Semper Gumby: Philmont23 7: Thanks for the link. Garth Lucas: Take a closer look, you missed quite alot. Cheers.
- Garth Lucas: Dear SG Your friend has missed the subtlety of Christophe r Dawson’s analysis. Also Dawson did know that WWI had changed the world forcing him to write about the politics which came to...
- Suburbanbanshee: So I got fruit blessed on Assumption Day, and planned to give it out at work. Thursday night I had a plumbing flood. Fruit stayed dry, but forgot to bring the fruit into.work, all...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- “LaCI and Beans” back at it again! Attack US Bishops for their enthusiastic implementation of law
- PODCAzT 174 and PRAYERCAzT: The Latin of the Traditional Rite of Baptism of a Child
- Your Good News
- Monday Morning Brain Jumpstart: some good reading
- “My sons playing Mass ‘against pagans’.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – Our attitude at the altar
- That tragic Portland parish, the mistreatment of the priest. Fr. Z’s solution: “Let’s make a deal!”
- Is cutting off the money the way to go?
- ASK FATHER: Can I wear a scapular on my bullet proof vest?
- BOOK: Grandmother and the Priests
- What is a “liturgist”? Some thoughts.
- WDTPRS – 20th Ordinary Sunday: Live in love to have later Love Himself
- Adventures in “gay” ad blocking
- Lighter Fare For Friday
- ASK FATHER: @BishopBarron on the Pew Research and lack of belief in the Eucharist. Fr. Z rants a little and issues an invitation.
- The latest podcast on the upcoming Synod from Damian, Unbound. “@HolySmoke” is right!
- ASK FATHER: Why didn’t Benedict XVI say the #TLM? How can we get one? What does the future look like?
- @JamesMartinSJ praises preaching by a religious sister. Let’s consider what he praised!
- VIDEO: 1950 – Pius XII infallibly proclaims the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
- Shoot up in Philadelphia – cops injured. I’m a simple guy and I’m worried.
- ASK FATHER: Priest puts up scandalous “gay” flag for annual public “pride” week. Bishop: zero help.
- Your Good News
- A Black Mass in the Vatican at the time of Vatican II?
- BACK TO SCHOOL TIME?
- 14 Aug -St. Maximilian Kolbe, priest, martyr, #HamRadio operator, intercede for dissident ‘c’atholic media! #CQ
- It’s no surprise at all that Catholics don’t know or believe about the Eucharist. After all, worship is doctrine and we are our rites!
- A quick look at some ‘c’atholic media
- BOOK : A guide for forming Catholic gentlemen and future priests – and a mini rant.
- ASK FATHER: Am I obliged to tell an old priest about his liturgical ad libs?
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – What Catholics DO BELIEVE about the Eucharist!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Daily Archives: 12 March 2006
Sure, it happens all the time that the priestÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s all too human flaws make it difficult to see in him what God has placed upon his soul. I get complaints about priests constantly via e-mail and snail-mail. Sometimes they are about me! Regardless of how inadequate some of you might think Father is, his blessings are effective. His consecrations and absolutions are valid. And rarely, rarely, despite how it might seem in the moment, or how ignorant or thick or lazy or given to less than edifying things you think he may be, does he act in such a way that his blessings or celebrations of sacraments are not guaranteed by the ChurchÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s authority and GodÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s own promises. As spotless as Holy Mother Church is, we do not belong to a Church of the pure only. The priest, however inadequate you might think yours to be, is mysteriously alter Christus. He remains the fundamental figure in the formation of the Christian faithful. Continue reading
The Word of God, from all eternity, is the perfect image of the invisible Father. We are made according to that image. In the Incarnation the Word became the perfect visible image of the invisible God. This perfect image, Jesus, came into the world to save us from our sins and to reveal us more fully to ourselves. He gives us the ultimate Ã¢â‚¬Å“viewÃ¢â‚¬Â or Ã¢â‚¬Å“insightÃ¢â‚¬Â of who we are and what we are to do. In the Transfiguration the three apostles see something more of JesusÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ perfect image and it is a sight that transforms them. Remembers how Moses was transformed by and how his face shown with light after his encounters with God in the cloud of His glory (Heb. shekina) when it descended on Mt. Sinai or the tent/tabernacle (cf. Exodus 33:7ff; 34:29ff). A symbolic shekina remains in our churches even now: more than a red presence lamp a baldachin or a veil covering the tabernacle is the true sign of the Real Presence! Continue reading
Paul admonishes us in 2 Timothy 4:6-8:
For I am already on the point of being sacrificed; the time of my departure has come. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that Day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing. Continue reading
One of the purposes of a season of penance is interior purification. By giving up things that are good, we take control of our appetites and passions in preparation for what is to come. We experience a liturgical diminishing in Lent so that Easter can be more joyful. Since only the pure may enter into the Beatific Vision, in order to have the joy of heaven, we must be purified of our attachments to sin and perfected in love. This purification must begin in our earthly lives and, provided we die in the state of grace, may continue purgatory. In our collect we acknowledge this necessity of purity before seeing the face of God. Our collect today points to the reason why we are taking on ourselves the yoke of penance. At the same time, our seeing the Lord and the LordÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s own image (intuitus/aspectus) transform us and make us better able to bear the burden. Perhaps a good supplement to a lenten discipline this year would also be frequent visits to a chapel where the Blessed Sacrament is exposed for perpetual adoration. As Richard of St. Victor said: Ã¢â‚¬Å“Love is the eye and to love is to see.Ã¢â‚¬Â Look upon Him who was pierced for us and let Him transform your spiritual landscape. He is waiting for us both within and without. Continue reading