- If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.
- 2 Chronicles 7:14 RSV
BACK TO SCHOOL SHOPPING?
Please, come here first! Enter Amazon through my search box and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see the search box? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
PS: I added Amazon Search Boxes for the UK and for Canada at the bottom of the blog page. Copy and paste titles I mention into those boxes and - BAZINGA! - results appear as if by magic. Kindle? HERE
US Hardcover - HERE
UK Hardcover - HERE
US Paperback - HERE
UK Paperback - not yet
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
- Matt R said It’s simply personalism, though perhaps poorly art...
- WmHesch said Before the Council, no one conflated the Apostlesh...
- Fr Martin Fox said Excellent questions and answers. I would add, firs...
- Geoffrey said I once heard a priest paraphrase: “It’...
- APX said I often wonder if, over time, it could happen with...
- acardnal said Where I live one parish has scheduled confessions...
- un-ionized said There will always be people for whom learning anot...
- Aquinas Gal said The point that it’s very easy for the priest...
- Mario Bird said Just answering #2: 2. I take the Benedict XVI ...
- rgrutza said I found this on “Loving the Novus Ordo.̶...
- frahobbit said Possibly some priests at first tried to defend the...
- John UK said One is reminded of the definition of the Renaissan...
- robtbrown said This question of Mass and Confession reminds me of...
- Gil Garza said More people are clueless about what happens during...
- cl00bie said I believe there was a need for reform. The Holy S...
- Venerator Sti Lot said In his post of 19 July, Fr. Hunwicke wrote, “...
- Richard A said 1. Latin is hard to learn and hard to teach. [We c...
- Boniface said Dear writer of the questions to Fr Z: I predomin...
- Venerator Sti Lot said Is the personhood of each something that is knowab...
- Fr Martin Fox said My homily focused on humility in the context of Ho...
- stadtpilger said In Latin, prayers for the Holy Father’s intentions...
- CATHOLIC TUESDAY EXTRA | Big Pulpit said […] Direction 15 of the Most Unforgettable E...
- Boniface said It’s pretty clear to me that the Holy Father...
- Athelstan said Hidden One, Very often, even almost always, the pr...
- Polycarpio said As Backpewsitter points out, the September prayer...
- Venerator Sti Lot said For possible interest’s sake (and since I br...
- Absit invidia said To complain about confession lines at any time of...
- Suburbanbanshee said Jesus Christ is the New Adam, so in a way He encom...
- Athelstan said Hello iamlucky13, So this policy apparently predat...
- manwithblackhat said For most of my adult life, my expectations have be...
Without you, there is no blog.
There is a subscription form at the bottom of this page!
Art by D Burkart
- Aedificantium enim unusquisque gladio erat accinctus.
- Nehemiah 4:18
"Where priest and people together face the same way, what we have is a cosmic orientation and also in interpretation of the Eucharist in terms of resurrection and trinitarian theology. Hence it is also an interpretation in terms of parousia, a theology of hope, in which every Mass is an approach to the return of Christ."
Joseph Ratzinger - The Feast of Faith"In those situations where homosexual unions have been legally recognized or have been given the legal status and rights belonging to marriage, clear and emphatic opposition is a duty. ... If all Catholics are obliged to oppose the legal recognition of homosexual unions, Catholic politicians are obliged to do so in a particular way, in keeping with their responsibility as politicians." CDF 2003
Ham Radio Stuff
Fr. Z - W9FRZ - OFF
QRV on: 00m 00000
Check Echolink WB0YLE-R - OFF
"One of the few things in life you can be absolutely sure about is that, if Management tells you it doesn't like your Tone, you are getting something right."
"Latin is a precise, essential language. It will be abandoned, not because it is unsuitable for the new requirements of progress, but because the new men will not be suitable for it. When the age of demagogues and charlatans begins, a language like Latin will no longer be useful, and any oaf will be able to give a speech in public and talk in such a way that he will not be kicked off the stage. The secret to this will consist in the fact that, by making use of words that are general, elusive, and sound good, he will be able to speak for an hour without saying anything. With Latin, this is impossible."
- - Giovanni Guareschi
Support them with prayer and fasting.
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
"We as Catholics have not properly combated (the culture) because we have not been taught our Catholic Faith, especially in the depth needed to address these grave evils of our time. This is a failure of catechesis both of children and young people that has been going on for fifty years. It is being addressed, but it needs much more radical attention... What has also contributed greatly to the situation is an exaltation of the virtue of tolerance which is falsely seen as the virtue which governs all other virtues. In other words, we should tolerate other people in their immoral actions to the extent that we seem also to accept the moral wrong. Tolerance is a virtue, but it is certainly not the principal virtue; the principal virtue is charity... Charity means speaking the truth. I have encountered it (not speaking the truth) many times myself as a priest and bishop. It is something we simply need to address. There is far too much silence — people do not want to talk about it because the topic is not 'politically correct.' But we cannot be silent any longer."
Raymond Card. Burke
Help the Sisters. They have a building project. Get great soap (gifts, etc.) while helping REAL nuns!
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee) and Norcia (beer)!
Some OBLIGATORY reading…
Leave Voice Mail for Fr. Z
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…... and there will be nearly 1,000,000 page loads this month.
A great hymnal…
Find a Quality Realtor. Support the Gospel of Life!
If you, or someone you know, needs to buy or sell a house, office, or any kind of domestic or commercial property anywhere in the world, call Real Estate For Life on 1-877-LIFE-US1. They connect you with an expert agent with a proven track-record from a local franchised broker or strong independent. When the sale is completed, the agent gives a portion of their fee to Real Estate For Life as a referral fee. Real Estate For Life gives 80% of that fee to one of the pro-life organizations they work with: a house with a value of $150,000 means $1000 goes to the pro-life organization. It doesn't cost you anything.
And for your cybersecurity…
Mystic Monk Coffee also has TEA!
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
My wish lists
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- St. John Paul II
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
A morsel for thought…
"If your work is strong enough for someone to hate you, it's strong enough for someone to love you. The middle is what you should fear."
- Sean McCabe @seanwes
- ASK FATHER: What are the best arguments they have in the favor of the novus ordo?
- ASK FATHER: Minimum to fulfill Mass obligation
- ASK FATHER: Praying for the Holy Father’s intentions when those intentions are… odd
- ASK FATHER: Confessions during Mass – followup
- Of speaking truth to power, close hair cuts, and you
- ASK FATHER: How are we supposed to remain Catholic these days?
- 29 August – Beheading of John the Baptist and diminishing returns
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- INDONESIA: Wannabe ISIS terrorist stabs priest, fails with bomb
- QUAERITUR: Best translation of St. Augustine’s “Confessions”?
- ASK FATHER: What to do if your parish is extremely liberal?
- WDTPRS 15th Sunday after Pentecost: Holy Church, Peter’s Barque
- Photos from a Mass of Reparation for sacrileges and blasphemies
- UK Ordinariate… Quo?
- ACTION ITEM: Prayers after Earthquake near Norcia, Italy
- WDTPRS – 22nd Ordinary Sunday: graft the love of Your Name into our hearts
- ACTION ITEM! Birettas for Seminarians Project!
- PROXIMA b!
- Screwtape’s letter to Bitterwench
- Benedict explains more about why he abdicated
- Si vis pacem, para bellum. If you want peace, ready war.
- Monstrous Soros spent $650K to tame US bishops
- My View For Awhile: Inertia Edition
- Wherein Fr. Z asks readers to offer the Fishwrap some constructive help
- ASK FATHER: Only half-way decent parish near us is still not good. What to do?
- New scientific study concludes NOT “born that way”
- A proposal for wymynpriests
- PRP: 5th Glorious Mystery: The Coronation of Our Lady
- ASK FATHER: Converts trying to make 1st Confession –
- Detroit’s crafty new tax on churches
For your consideration…
"One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting."
- C.S. Lewis
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Please follow me on Twitter!
- "It will never be known what acts of cowardice have been committed for fear of not looking sufficiently progressive."
Charles Pierre Péguy Notre Patrie, 1905"If I ought to write the truth, I am of the mind that I ought to flee all meetings of bishops, because I have never seen any happy or satisfactory outcome to any council, nor one that has deterred evils more than it has occasioned their acceptance and growth."
St. Gregory Nazianzus ep. 131 - AD 382“We will conquer your Rome, break your crosses, and enslave your women. If we do not reach that time, then our children and grandchildren will reach it, and they will sell your sons as slaves at the slave market.”
Reading and gift ideas!
Daily Archives: 16 April 2006
Concerning the title of lay people who help the priest and deacons distribute, I could write reams of material. Suffice to say that the proper term is Ã¢â‚¬Å“Extraordinary Minister of Holy CommunionÃ¢â‚¬Â. The bishop, priest and deacon are the only Ã¢â‚¬Å“Ministers of the EucharistÃ¢â‚¬Â. Lay people are never Ã¢â‚¬Å“Ministers of the EucharistÃ¢â‚¬Â, but they can be, in case of genuine necessity, a great help in distribution of Communion, either in church or to the homebound, and so forth. It is helpful to review what the Congregation for Divine Worship and Discipline of the Sacraments wrote in its document Redemptionis Sacramentum about the participation of lay people involving the Eucharist (my emphasis):…
In our prayer today we recognize the Ã¢â‚¬Å“renewalÃ¢â‚¬Â that we as a Church have experienced. Like grains of wheat we fell and died during Lent. We rise now to life and bear fruit. Just as we prune flowering bushes and certain trees and they then burst into even more abundant blossoms and fruit, we too are pruned back in Lent. And not only in Lent, but constantly during the year. Each Friday is a little Lent when we are all required by law to do penance. Each Sunday is a little Easter when we rise to new life. Each week is a chance for us to bear great fruit because of the ongoing cycle of dying and rising.
The Church is being forced into a new kind of fast through the scandals caused by wicked clergy. It is bad enough that the people of God have been cheated of their heritage for decades through a poor or even maliciously false implementation of the liturgical reforms mandated by the Second Vatican Council. It is bad enough that catechetics have been neglected or subverted. It is bad enough that seminaries were hijacked by ideologically driven dissenters. Now we are being brought as a Church to pay for the sins of bishops and priests who commit the abomination of sexual abuse of children and minors. While I loathe the way the media exaggerates the charges and inflates the numbers of men involved, I cannot help but be grateful in a reserved way. Jackals clean the land of rotting flesh, after all. They cull the sick of the herd. I think that we have at last now the chance to clean our house with a real spring cleaning. Just as Lent (which means Ã¢â‚¬Å“springÃ¢â‚¬Â) is our spiritual preparation through penance and mortifications and Easter is our Resurrection, so too as a Church we must now go into the desert and fast and suffer and pray. The enemy of the soul will tear at us, tempting us to vainglory, pride, desire for material comfort. Continue reading
Here is my rendering of the 1970 Missale Romanum version of the Exultet. Alas, there is no space to give you the Latin also. The Exultet is also called the Praeconium Paschale. Paschale is an adjective of a Latinized Hebrew word pascha, for the Passover meal of the lamb. The sure and certain Lewis & Short Dictionary says the adjective praeconius, -a, -um is Ã¢â‚¬Å“of or belonging to a praeco or public crierÃ¢â‚¬Â while the substantive praeconium is Ã¢â‚¬Å“a crying out in public; a proclaiming, spreading abroad, publishing.Ã¢â‚¬Â In a Christian context this of course also infers the Good News! A praeconium is simultaneously a profession of faith and a call to faith extended to all who hear. Continue reading