- You keep this blog, and me, going. I pray for benefactors.
There is a subscription form at the bottom of this page!
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
Shopping online through Amazon?
Please, come here first! Enter Amazon through my search box and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see the search box? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
PS: I added Amazon Search Boxes for the UK and for Canada at the bottom of the blog page. Copy and paste titles I mention into those boxes and - BAZINGA! - results appear as if by magic. Kindle? HERE
- Aedificantium enim unusquisque gladio erat accinctus.
- Nehemiah 4:18"In those situations where homosexual unions have been legally recognized or have been given the legal status and rights belonging to marriage, clear and emphatic opposition is a duty. ... If all Catholics are obliged to oppose the legal recognition of homosexual unions, Catholic politicians are obliged to do so in a particular way, in keeping with their responsibility as politicians." CDF 2003
Ham Radio Stuff
Fr. Z - W9FRZ - OFF
QRV on: 00m 00000
Check Echolink WB0YLE-R - OFF
- mwa said At the Cathedral parish in our diocese, the rector...
- MikeToo said Father spoke about the choice of following Jesus a...
- Mark said Well, it looks like Pope Francis will be on the si...
- PhilipNeri said What’s your excuse for not following Christ....
- Elizabeth D said 1jacobo5, you are only supposed to post GOOD POINT...
- Elizabeth D said This is not about radio but it is about the St Mar...
- GrumpyYoungMan said Following Jesus isn’t about “let’...
- 1jacobo5 said OF in St. Louis as we were in town for a wedding:...
- Elizabeth D said ordinary form… it was about how, whatever ou...
- Rob83 said I am in the middle of reading 2 Kings right now....
- Philomena Mary said EF sung Mass. Father spoke about the difference be...
- Semper Gumby said A buddy who is a big Star Trek fan said today that...
- Mike said There’s an easy way to make this happen: Tel...
- Fr Martin Fox said Thanks for the plug, Father, and the kind words by...
- jameeka said 2 Kings 2—hmm, salt into water to heal it, is that...
- Farmer0831 said (The homily was in spanish which is not my first l...
- Kensington said And he’s at it again: https://ca.news.yahoo....
- amsjj1002 said The reboot movies I’ve ignored as much as po...
- JerrytheYTPer said I am a student at one of the colleges she graduate...
- Adaquano said A visiting priest asked us whether we really feel...
- hwriggles4 said EWTN’s The World Over Live this week (June 2...
- PapalCount said How much longer Lord? How much longer?
- Prayerful said The Parish Administrator spoke on preparation for...
- Benedict Joseph said Yes, “Viva Cristo Rey!” I wonder how t...
- Allan S. said MWindsor – sorry, I had left before posting...
- MWindsor said No joy. 20m and 40m seem to have closed down now.
- pannw said I love the idea of a special walk for men, fathers...
- MWindsor said Well, everything above 20m is closed from my locat...
- MWindsor said I’m going to get my radio out and give it a...
- cwillia1 said Russia is a very interesting community, overwhelmi...
"One of the few things in life you can be absolutely sure about is that, if Management tells you it doesn't like your Tone, you are getting something right."
"Latin is a precise, essential language. It will be abandoned, not because it is unsuitable for the new requirements of progress, but because the new men will not be suitable for it. When the age of demagogues and charlatans begins, a language like Latin will no longer be useful, and any oaf will be able to give a speech in public and talk in such a way that he will not be kicked off the stage. The secret to this will consist in the fact that, by making use of words that are general, elusive, and sound good, he will be able to speak for an hour without saying anything. With Latin, this is impossible."
- - Giovanni Guareschi
Support them with prayer and fasting.
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
"We as Catholics have not properly combated (the culture) because we have not been taught our Catholic Faith, especially in the depth needed to address these grave evils of our time. This is a failure of catechesis both of children and young people that has been going on for fifty years. It is being addressed, but it needs much more radical attention... What has also contributed greatly to the situation is an exaltation of the virtue of tolerance which is falsely seen as the virtue which governs all other virtues. In other words, we should tolerate other people in their immoral actions to the extent that we seem also to accept the moral wrong. Tolerance is a virtue, but it is certainly not the principal virtue; the principal virtue is charity... Charity means speaking the truth. I have encountered it (not speaking the truth) many times myself as a priest and bishop. It is something we simply need to address. There is far too much silence — people do not want to talk about it because the topic is not 'politically correct.' But we cannot be silent any longer."
Raymond Card. Burke
Help the Sisters. They have a building project. Get great soap (gifts, etc.) while helping REAL nuns!
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee) and Norcia (beer)!
Some current reading…
Must read for priests, seminarians, anyone interested in beauty in our sacred liturgical worship of God... Signs of the Holy One: Liturgy, Ritual, and Expression of the Sacred by Uwe Michael Lang [UK link HERE]
God or Nothing: A Conversation on Faith by Robert Card. Sarah
Buy it. Get one for your parish priests. UK HERE
Leave Voice Mail for Fr. Z
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…... and there will be nearly 1,000,000 page loads this month.
A great hymnal…
Find a Quality Realtor. Support the Gospel of Life!
If you, or someone you know, needs to buy or sell a house, office, or any kind of domestic or commercial property anywhere in the world, call Real Estate For Life on 1-877-LIFE-US1. They connect you with an expert agent with a proven track-record from a local franchised broker or strong independent. When the sale is completed, the agent gives a portion of their fee to Real Estate For Life as a referral fee. Real Estate For Life gives 80% of that fee to one of the pro-life organizations they work with: a house with a value of $150,000 means $1000 goes to the pro-life organization. It doesn't cost you anything.
And for your cybersecurity…
Mystic Monk Coffee also has TEA!
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
My wish lists
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- St. John Paul II
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
A morsel for thought…
"If your work is strong enough for someone to hate you, it's strong enough for someone to love you. The middle is what you should fear."
- Sean McCabe @seanwes
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- MADISON 1 July: Pontifical Mass at Throne for Suffering and Persecuted Christians Around the Globe
- JUST TOO COOL! “Beating of the Bounds!”
- “Let the Supreme Court send bishops and priests to jail … the Church cannot go against the law of our Lord Jesus Christ.”
- CQ CQ CQ #HamRadio Saturday: Summer Field Day – UPDATED
- WDTPRS: 13th Ordinary Sunday – divine adoption and the splendor of truth
- A priest’s plea: “Please, Holy Father: Enough”
- A black hole shreds a star
- New Star Trek series for TV in 2017
- An imaginary dialogue of US nuns and Vatican officials
- Pope Francis’ ‘Armeniam Visit” [sic]
- A Litany to Sr. Joan Chittister (… no… really!)
- More US women religious summoned to Rome: Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet
- WDTPRS – St. John the Baptist: “guide the minds of all the faithful”
- ASK FATHER: Can a Catholic help children with dyslexia through a Masonic organization?
- A Plea: Stop misusing “tragedy”
- 23 June – Vigil of St. John – bonfires and witch burnings, solstices and snails
- SUPER! New book with table of readings for the Novus Ordo and TLM! ACTION ITEM!
- Soros is involved in the Migrant Crisis, against national borders
- ASK FATHER: When Holy Days of Obligation… aren’t
- BOOK RECOMMENDATION:
- Just Too Cool: Bishop Etienne on Wyoming Carmelites
- ACTION ITEM! Coordinated prayer for Pope Francis against diabolical attack
- Yet another group of US women religious is being called to Rome for a chat.
- Valencia’s Card. Cañizares persecuted for defending nature, common sense against “gender theory”, homosexualist agenda
- Your Good News
- Road Warrior Tips: Appreciating soft landings and cheaper data abroad (KeepGo)
- #ActonU 2016 Wrap-up and a Scholarship Opportunity
- Men! We need you watching on the wall.
For your consideration…
"One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting."
- C.S. Lewis
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Please follow me on Twitter!
- "It will never be known what acts of cowardice have been committed for fear of not looking sufficiently progressive."
Charles Pierre Péguy Notre Patrie, 1905"If I ought to write the truth, I am of the mind that I ought to flee all meetings of bishops, because I have never seen any happy or satisfactory outcome to any council, nor one that has deterred evils more than it has occasioned their acceptance and growth."
St. Gregory Nazianzus ep. 131 - AD 382“We will conquer your Rome, break your crosses, and enslave your women. If we do not reach that time, then our children and grandchildren will reach it, and they will sell your sons as slaves at the slave market.”
Reading and gift ideas!
Daily Archives: 7 May 2006
I thought you might like a few more shots of the ceremony for the swearing of the Swiss Guard. As I sort them out, I will add them from time to time. The recruits in line. Here is a view … Continue reading
EXCERPT:By the English word Ã¢â‚¬Å“continuumÃ¢â‚¬Â the seasoned Catholics understand Ã¢â‚¬Å“an uninterrupted whole or a series of things without a breakÃ¢â‚¬Â. Those of us who are of the Star Trek generation know that Ã¢â‚¬Å“continuumÃ¢â‚¬Â refers to a time/space phenomenon which, though incredibly rare, figures in episodes about every other week. An imbalance in the time/space continuum will usually destroy the whole galaxy, which would be very bad. To prevent this bad thing the Captain and crew must Ã¢â‚¬Å“reverse the polarityÃ¢â‚¬Â of a gizmo with a long name, often the big dish on the front of the ship. They have only five seconds left before the ship explodes and everyone everywhere dies. The unflinching Captain tells someone sporting a forehead with ridges or bluish skin to do an amazingly risky thing, which the first officer must passionately question. The risk works miraculously, probably because there are more episodes left in the season, and the time/space continuum is restored to its proper order. Everyone throughout the galaxy are until the next week. Now, you would think that after saving the galaxy, the galaxy saviors would get more recognition from saved. They should all be offered their own luxury resort planets or, if that sounds too much like Mormon afterlife, at least some stock options or a medal orÃ¢â‚¬Â¦ something. Maybe a high school named after them. I donÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t get it. In any event, I digressÃ¢â‚¬Â¦. Continue reading
TodayÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Mass has various Ã¢â‚¬Å“pastoralÃ¢â‚¬Â images. Two years ago we saw what the Collect really said for this Sunday: Ã¢â‚¬Å“Omnipotens sempiterne Deus, deduc nos ad societatem caelestium gaudiorum, ut eo perveniat humilitas gregis, quo processit fortitudo pastorisÃ¢â‚¬Â¦ Almighty and ever-living God, lead us unto the communion of heavenly joys, so that the humility of the flock may reach that place from whence the might of the shepherd came forth.Ã¢â‚¬Â Clearly there is a thematic connection between the collect and final prayer today: gregisÃ¢â‚¬Â¦pastoris. Notice the intertwined meanings of Ã¢â‚¬Å“flock, communion, societyÃ¢â‚¬Â. Both the Collect and Post communion seem to be from similar sources. Neither were in the 1962MR while the Super oblata was. I may be going out on a limb, but I am guessing they were put together by the same person. Continue reading
The once for all time Sacrifice of the Cross transcends all time and space. God makes it possible for the very same reality to be renewed and represented to the Father through the constant and faithfully fulfilled religious offering of the Church (operatio continua), which is His own mystical person continuing in this earthly realm. This bloody Sacrifice which occurred at a single point in the continuum of both time and physical space, which took place on the Cross outside the walls of Jerusalem nearly 2000 years ago, is both completed and is still taking place on our altars in all places and at all times. By this Sacrifice, Christ reversed the course of the human race, hurtling headlong into the darkness of oblivion and the hellish separation from God that sin deserves. Now all peoples of all times and places have the opportunity of salvation, even though they have no idea of whence it comes. And yet so many of those who actually know Him will blithely go on their way without so much as a Ã¢â‚¬Å“Thank you, O Lord, for the unfathomable act of self-emptying and brutal, painful death, by which you saved us from the hell our sins merited, and by which you taught us who we really are.Ã¢â‚¬Â Many who profess His Holy Name will come to Sunday Mass and receive the very sacrament of our salvation without discerning what it is or what they do. Some will even take the Lord and head for the door to beat the parking rush. Continue reading
Here we have an image of the Christ as shepherd, proceeding forth in mighty resolve to lead the humble flock to the place of never-ending joys. This collect reminds me of the mosaics in the apses of ancient basilicas in Rome and Ravenna. These ancient works are wrought in tiny bits of colored stone and glass are assembled in to beautiful works of great spiritual significance. In a way, the Body of Christ, the Church, is rather like a mosaic: small members each playing a part to make a larger work, each stone (or tessera) serving to make the others more beautiful, each giving a purpose to the other as if they were members of a societas. Seen up close the individual stones are not much to look at. They can be flawed and unremarkable. But once that are placed together in an order by the hand of the artist, they make something stunning. In those apse mosaics Christ is sometimes depicted in glory with imperial trappings. On either side are often arranged apostles and saints as His imperial court, bracketed by images of Bethlehem or the earthly and heavenly Jerusalem in the manner of bookends. Often in these mosaics there are gathered beneath the feet of the glorious Christ are lines of sheep being lead to a safe green place, where there is flowing water symbolizing the river Jordan and therefore our baptism. Continue reading
On Sunday 7 May Fr Paul Pei Junmin (37 yrs old) will be consecrated bishop in the Cathedral of Shenyang (Liaoning, north-east China) as coadjutor to Bp. Jin Peixian, with the approval of the Holy See. Fr Pei Junmin met … Continue reading