Ham Radio Stuff
Fr. Z - W9FRZ - OFF
QRV on: 00m 00000
Check Echolink WB0YLE-R - OFF
When you do your Christmas shopping online…
"If I ought to write the truth, I am of the mind that I ought to flee all meetings of bishops, because I have never seen any happy or satisfactory outcome to any council, nor one that has deterred evils more than it has occasioned their acceptance and growth."
St. Gregory Nazianzus ep. 131 - AD 382
"The archaic is not the obsolete."Must read for priests, seminarians, anyone interested in beauty in our sacred liturgical worship of God... Signs of the Holy One: Liturgy, Ritual, and Expression of the Sacred by Uwe Michael Lang [UK link HERE]
God or Nothing: A Conversation on Faith by Robert Card. Sarah
Buy it. Get one for your parish priests. UK HERE
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
- "In those situations where homosexual unions have been legally recognized or have been given the legal status and rights belonging to marriage, clear and emphatic opposition is a duty. ... If all Catholics are obliged to oppose the legal recognition of homosexual unions, Catholic politicians are obliged to do so in a particular way, in keeping with their responsibility as politicians." CDF 2003 and HERE
- You keep this blog, and me, going. I pray for benefactors.
There is a subscription form at the bottom of this page!
- pray4truth said Awwwwe… thank you so much, Fr. Z … tha...
- robtbrown said everett says: In regards to the questions about va...
- taffymycat said pls pray for prvt cody carver only 19; killed in M...
- taffymycat said pls pray for prvt cody carver only 19; killed in M...
- Mr. Graves said Some years ago, I read a booklet about the Brown S...
- Grumpy Beggar said I was enrolled in the Brown Scapular about 17 year...
- wised said I was enrolled as a student in a Carmelite high sc...
- everett said In regards to the questions about validity of Orth...
- Viva Cristo Rey said That’s so great! Women scapular regularly no...
- Viva Cristo Rey said My guardian angel :)
- Viva Cristo Rey said Awesome!!!
- Andrew Saucci said The situation may vary depending upon the location...
- jacobi said We now know that the observer survived. Accounts c...
- TWF said I’ve been to an OCA Parish a number of times...
- bookworm said Here’s another entry in the “In case y...
- Veritatis Splendor said If I recall, I am approaching two years of 24/7 we...
- Gerard Plourde said Dear Stuart Reiss, I have no desire to turn this i...
- Taylor Marshall said Ps. I do mental prayer at the Romanian Orthodoc ch...
- Taylor Marshall said Well done Father. Thank you for this.
- Elizabeth D said How the Brown Scapular “works”: There...
- stuart reiss said When IS turn up to cut your throat who would you r...
- SKAY said Turkey is a member of NATO and that also complic...
- acardnal said “Turkey” is definitely in the headline
- Ed the Roman said Russia has been pushing in a lot of places, has be...
- MWindsor said I’ll get setup if anyone is still out there....
- Absit invidia said Obama has already condemned not Turkey, but Russia
- Absit invidia said Solid, practical advice. Thank you, and happy Tha...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf said N3GBJ de W9FRZ Thanks! Maybe next time. The b...
- chris_R said W9FRZ DE N3GBJ I can hear barely you but not stron...
- acardnal said Thanks for all you do, Father Z. And Happy Thank...
"One of the few things in life you can be absolutely sure about is that, if Management tells you it doesn't like your Tone, you are getting something right."
Most commented in the last 7 days…
- Pope Francis to German Bishops: Your Church is a mess! Fix it and … GO TO CONFESSION! (46)
- More weird sex stuff at Jesuit-run Fordham University (40)
- Earth Might Have Hairy Dark Matter! (36)
- UPDATE: Bishops of England, Wales v. SSPX? Request for review of Good Friday Prayer for Jews (35)
- 1st Bishop appointed for an Anglican Ordinariate (23)
- Of scapulars, devotions and Russian jet fighters (23)
- Fr. Z asks help: finding fabrics (20)
- Sam Gregg on the rise of young, fearless, dynamically orthodox Catholicism… in FRANCE! (19)
- High praise for Card. Sarah from Archbp. Gänswein (19)
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Sole Food! (18)
Support them with prayer and fasting.
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
"We as Catholics have not properly combated (the culture) because we have not been taught our Catholic Faith, especially in the depth needed to address these grave evils of our time. This is a failure of catechesis both of children and young people that has been going on for fifty years. It is being addressed, but it needs much more radical attention... What has also contributed greatly to the situation is an exaltation of the virtue of tolerance which is falsely seen as the virtue which governs all other virtues. In other words, we should tolerate other people in their immoral actions to the extent that we seem also to accept the moral wrong. Tolerance is a virtue, but it is certainly not the principal virtue; the principal virtue is charity... Charity means speaking the truth. I have encountered it (not speaking the truth) many times myself as a priest and bishop. It is something we simply need to address. There is far too much silence — people do not want to talk about it because the topic is not 'politically correct.' But we cannot be silent any longer."
Raymond Card. Burke
The Catholic Church is the exponent of Reality. It is true. Its doctrines in matters large and small are statements of what is. . . .My conclusion – and that of all men who have ever once seen it – is the faith. Corporate, organized, a personality, teaching. A thing, not a theory. It.”
Hilaire Belloc to G.K. Chesterton
"In assessing Our duty and the situation now prevailing, We have been weighed upon by the thought that a matter of this kind [i.e. error in respect of the Faith] is so grave and so dangerous that the Roman Pontiff, who is the representative upon earth of God and our God and Lord Jesus Christ, who holds the fullness of power over peoples and kingdoms, who may judge all and be judged by none in this world, may nonetheless be contradicted if he be found to have deviated from the Faith.
Cum ex Apostolatus Officio (On Error in Respect of the Faith) Apostolic Constitution of Pope Paul IV, 15 Feb 1559 (Roman Bullarium IV, I, 354-357)
Some current reading… review and a new novel…
Leave Voice Mail for Fr. Z
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…... and there will be nearly 1,000,000 page loads this month.
Help Monks in Wyoming, Fr. Z, and get great coffee too!
And they have tea too!
And for your cybersecurity…
Wyoming Catholic College!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch!
New Gregorian Chant CD by the Benedictines of Norcia!
Identity theft is a serious problem that you do NOT want to have. I use Lifelock.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
My wish lists
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- St. John Paul II
A bit more food for thought…
“Only one sin is nowadays severely punished: the attentive observance of the traditions of our Fathers. For that reason the good ones are thrown out of their places and brought to the desert.”
- Basil of Caesarea - ep. 243
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
A morsel for thought…
"If your work is strong enough for someone to hate you, it's strong enough for someone to love you. The middle is what you should fear."
- Sean McCabe @seanwes
- CQ Thanksgiving Day #HamRadio
- Giving thanks, with Mass, for benefactors and donors
- Of scapulars, devotions and Russian jet fighters
- Of wheels and mystical marriages
- ASK FATHER: No Catholic Mass on Sunday. Are we obliged to attend Orthodox Divine Liturgy?
- High praise for Card. Sarah from Archbp. Gänswein
- UPDATE: Bishops of England, Wales v. SSPX? Request for review of Good Friday Prayer for Jews
- Earth Might Have Hairy Dark Matter!
- 1st Bishop appointed for an Anglican Ordinariate
- Sam Gregg on the rise of young, fearless, dynamically orthodox Catholicism… in FRANCE!
- ACTION ITEM: Christmas Cards 2015 and ADVENT MUSIC CDs
- UK READERS: LONDON EVENTS
- Pope Francis’ letter to “the best hermeneutical interpreter of the Second Vatican Council.”
- Notre Dame U. v. Fr. Miscamble, NDCatholic.com
- More weird sex stuff at Jesuit-run Fordham University
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Sunday Clerical Supper
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS – 24th and Last Sunday after Pentecost: Beg His help. Beg His mercy. Praise Him for His gifts.
- WDTPRS – Christ the King (2002MR): The world will be consumed in fire
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Sole Food!
- It’s “Stir Up Sunday”! What are your plans?
- “Asking Our Lady to Help Us Make Up for Lost Time” AUDIO INTERVIEW
- CQ CQ CQ #HamRadio Saturday – Frigid
- ASK FATHER: Is it a sin not to have a cere-cloth on the altar?
- Pope Francis to German Bishops: Your Church is a mess! Fix it and … GO TO CONFESSION!
- Fr. Z asks help: finding fabrics
- Lutheran Satire
- ASK FATHER: Can Orthodox obtain indulgences through the Catholic Church?
- ACTION ITEM: Pontifical Vestments Fund Raising – PROGRESS UPDATES
- When Jesuits quote Jesus… and when they don’t
For your consideration…
"One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting."
- C.S. Lewis
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Be a “Zed-Head”!
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
More food for thought…
"All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void."
- Marbury v. Madison, 5 U.S. 137, 176
Even More Food For Thought
"Men by their constitutions are naturally divided into two parties: 1. Those who fear and distrust the people, and wish to draw all powers from them into the hands of the higher classes. 2. Those who identify themselves with the people, have confidence in them, cherish and consider them as the most honest and safe, although not the most wise depositary of the public interests."
- Thomas Jefferson to Henry Lee, 1824. ME 16:73
Please follow me on Twitter!
Daily Archives: 6 August 2006
Did you know that today is the titular feast of the Basilica of St. John Lateran, the Cathedral of Rome? "But Father! But Father", I can hear you objecting. "Don’t you know that that basilica is called ‘St. John‘? How … Continue reading
Our Latin prayer for today conveys a deep sense of total reliance on Almighty God. We need His protection as we face the vicissitudes of life. We know that the Enemy prowls, seeking to devour us (cf. 1 Peter 5:8). If we are honest, we see our present defects and remember our past delicts. With the knowledge that only the pure will see God in His heavenly City, of which our Church is a shadow (cf. Rev 21:27). We are shaped and readied for this reward through grace and elbow grease. God prepares us in His own ways. He also makes us capable of fulfilling our own part, according to our will and intellect by which we shape our words, deeds and that dimension of our spiritual landscape that we command. Through all the challenges this earthly journey brings, the Eucharist is the concrete demonstration that, while there is breath in our bodies, God never ceases to cherish each one of us. Continue reading
Perhaps we can hear our prayer now and hear some new things. First, given our current contemporary context wherein we are awaiting the preparation of new and better liturgical translations, we Catholics yearn for good and rich nourishment so that we, as individuals and as a Church, can deepen our relationship with Christ and thereby make our proper contributions to the world around us. In the liturgy we receive Ã¢â‚¬Å“pure, spiritual milkÃ¢â‚¬Â and more. Personally, I want more than the non-fat or 2% we have been given so far in our translations. Second, no matter what we think of the translations, we are still receiving an inestimable gift in Holy Mass. We ought to strive to live up to what Christ Himself imposes on us all: Ã¢â‚¬Å“So when you are offering your gift at the altar, if you remember that your brother or sister has something against you, leave your gift there before the altar and go; first be reconciled and then come offer your gift.Ã¢â‚¬Â (Matthew 5:23-24) Continue reading