When you shop…... through Amazon, please, come here first? Enter Amazon through my search box. I'll then get a small percentage of everything you buy. (Pssst - Can't see the search box? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
- You keep this blog, and me, going. I pray for benefactors.
There is a subscription form at the bottom of this page!
- Geoffrey said The Roman Missal for the Ordinary Form says that &...
- Sonshine135 said I actually read the Lifesite interview and the MSW...
- Random Friar said Minor peeve: Folks who begin by “Father, th...
- JPD said I have a canonical question: Is the seal of confes...
- JPD said I know I sometimes commit sins while just waiting...
- JPD said I once saw a Priest and listed my sins in kind an...
- Grumpy Beggar said “Superb”, for sure. Thanks for postin...
- Fr Martin Fox said Yes, we priests can be talky, I readily concede. B...
- Dr. Edward Peters said capchoirgirl, I agree. It can be priests who do no...
- Darren said My biggest wonder sometimes is whether I give enou...
- capchoirgirl said Oh, it’s not just chatty penitents. It’...
- Mariana2 said Dear Vexilla Regis, That’s right : )
- VexillaRegis said Dear mariana2, only seven parishes in your country...
- Dr. Edward Peters said O HOW I WISH CONFESSORS WOULD CUT OFF CHATTY PENIT...
- Imrahil said I’ve heard sometime that “there’...
- MONDAY AFTERNOON EDITION - BigPulpit.com said […] Hazard, Catholic Stand The Profound Dign...
- Gregg the Obscure said I’m a convert and at my very first confessio...
- Gerard Plourde said I think part of the difficulty lies in the confusi...
- Suburbanbanshee said You’re still eating everything put in front...
- Supertradmum said The Masked Chicken, I have many young friends who...
- Sliwka said I was listening to an old episode of the podcast H...
- Supertradmum said I make a list. I prepare what I am going to say be...
- The Masked Chicken said “My mother grew up Catholic, but is still to...
- little women said As a mother, I make my children eat everything tha...
- Gerard Plourde said Just a quick follow-up to my earlier comments. One...
- Gerard Plourde said Dear aquinas138, I concur that Masses occur with s...
- SanSan said God Bless Michael Voris. I support ($) Michael...
- Mariana2 said Loads of us Scandinavian Catholics have (baptised)...
- Sonshine135 said Chicken, This situation is not strange at all. My...
- Mariana2 said Thanks, Father!
My wish lists
The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but the victory belongs to the LORD.
- Proverbs 21:31
An outstanding opportunity to get into Latin and New Testament Greek
For Easter: another ethereal music CD from the chart-topping nuns…
Support them with prayer and fasting.
"Let God arise! Let His enemies be scattered! Let those who hate him flee before His Holy Face!"
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…... and there will be nearly 1,000,000 page loads this month.
A bit more food for thought…
“Only one sin is nowadays severely punished: the attentive observance of the traditions of our Fathers. For that reason the good ones are thrown out of their places and brought to the desert.”
- Basil of Caesarea - ep. 243
Help Monks in Wyoming, Fr. Z, and get great coffee too!
And they have tea too!
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- St. John Paul II
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
A morsel for thought…
"If your work is strong enough for someone to hate you, it's strong enough for someone to love you. The middle is what you should fear."
- Sean McCabe @seanwes
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- “among so many adversities”
- ASK FATHER: Confessor interrupted and I didn’t get to confess everything
- Lying about Card. Burke
- LENTCAzT 41: Monday of Holy Week
- ASK FATHER: Abstinence from meat difficult when living in parents’ home
- “Pause” for a moment to see Michael Voris’ new project
- Religion of Peace in Nigeria – now beheading with chainsaws
- ASK FATHER: “Mass” with no Collect, readings, etc., but lots of made up stuff
- ASK FATHER: Son married in another church without a dispensation
- LENTCAzT 40: Palm Sunday, 2nd Passion Sunday
- Happy Birthday St. Teresa of Avila!
- LENTCAzT 39: Saturday of the 5th Week of Lent
- WDTPRS: Palm Sunday – The Transforming Example
- An especially virulent case of Burke Derangement Syndrome™
- ASK FATHER: Could a Bishop be consecrated with the “Usus Antiquior”?
- From a Father of the Church to everyone who texts and tweets
- ACTION ITEM! POLL ALERT! Wisconsin Judge strikes down law requiring abortion docs to have hospital privileges
- STATIONS OF THE CROSS (audio from Fr. Z)
- Monthly donations: a request
- ASK FATHER: Holy Ghost or Holy Spirit?
- ASK FATHER: Delaying baptism until after Lent
- ASK FATHER: Do vestments really matter?!?
- LENTCAzT 38: Friday of the 5th Week of Lent – Our Lady of Sorrows
- ASK FATHER: Can a Bishop be a Deacon for a Priest in a Solemn Mass?
- Another Cardinal stands up to Card. Marx and German bishops:
- The silly season is still in full swing!
- Wherein Fr. Z muses on a growing trend
- “Blessed are they who persecute the righteous, for they shall be called the children of God.”
- Card. Müller: Delegate doctrinal decisions to regional conferences? “absolutely anti-Catholic”!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
For your consideration…
"One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting."
- C.S. Lewis
Identity theft is a serious problem that you do NOT want to have. I use Lifelock.
And for your cybersecurity…
Wyoming Catholic College!
A great place in Rome…
See my post about the Domus Australia HERE
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
Be a “Zed-Head”!
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
More food for thought…
"All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void."
- Marbury v. Madison, 5 U.S. 137, 176
Even More Food For Thought
"Men by their constitutions are naturally divided into two parties: 1. Those who fear and distrust the people, and wish to draw all powers from them into the hands of the higher classes. 2. Those who identify themselves with the people, have confidence in them, cherish and consider them as the most honest and safe, although not the most wise depositary of the public interests."
- Thomas Jefferson to Henry Lee, 1824. ME 16:73
Please follow me on Twitter!
Monthly Archives: August 2006
This morning at the Sabine Farm Holy Mass was celebrated with the 1962 Missale Romanum in the presence of both St. Augustine and his mother St. Monica. Before Mass began, the great saint was honored with a parade in … Continue reading
Other saints today:
Today is, incidently, the feast of St. Edmund Arrowsmith, one of the English martyrs. In his entry in the Martyrologium Romanum (below) you will find an item, which refers to entry no. 11 for William Dean and … Continue reading
Fox News’ journalist Steve Centanni and his cameraman have been RELEASED!
Let there be sung Non Nobis and Te Deum.
This is the chapel in the church of St. Augustine in Rome (literally across the street from my back door) on the day when the bones of St. Augustine were brought from their resting place in Pavia to Rome. … Continue reading
Turning again to Serge Lancel’s excellent Augustine, the best biography I know of the great Bishop of Hippo (p. 11 ff) we can get a view of Monica and her son and their relationship (my emphasis):
In the course of … Continue reading
From Serge Lancel’s Augustine, the best biography I know of the great Bishop of Hippo (p. 8 ff):
Before devoting himself entirely to Mother Church, as he approached the age of forty, Augustine had had a concubine for about fifteen years, … Continue reading
Let me ask you. What would the last thirty some years have been like if we had had better translations all along? What would our Church be like today had the mandate of the Council to maintain Latin been obeyed? Would we have a different sense of our identity as Catholics? Would those things have helped us better influence the society we live in? Would we be better prepared to handle the pressures of daily life? Would so many people, including clergy, have been acquiescent in the face of popular cultural trends and the destruction of our education system? I think much of what we see going on today could have been averted. We canÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t know anything for sure, but I have little doubt that things would have been very different indeed. This is because I believe that the true Actor at Mass is Christ Jesus the High Priest. Mass is effective and nourishing. Had things been in better shape, Catholics would be different today. Lex orandi, lex credendi! The way we pray has a reciprocal relationship with what we believe. Continue reading
During today’s Angelus at Castel Gandolofo, the Holy Father spoke about St. Monica and St. Augustine. Pope Benedict is a deeper learner about the Fathers and he is sharing wonderful insights with us now. You can hear the enthusiasm in his voice, even though he stubles in his text once. I think he might have inserted a parenthetical.
Benedict XVI referred to Monica as an example of encouragment to parents who are suffering from watching their children stray on the wrongs paths. Augustine was a long seeker after the truth, even from his youth.
Download the mp3 of his address. I don’t know how long this address will be valid. Probably one week. Continue reading
Reverently opening your copy of the Roman Martyrology you find in the first entry for today
1. Commemoratio sancti Melchisedech, regis Salem et sacerdotis Dei altissimi, qui Abraham benedicens salutavit a victoria regressum, Domino sanctum sacrificium, immaculatam hostiam, offerens, atque … Continue reading