BACK TO SCHOOL SHOPPING?
Please, come here first! Enter Amazon through my search box and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see the search box? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
PS: I added Amazon Search Boxes for the UK and for Canada at the bottom of the blog page. Copy and paste titles I mention into those boxes and - BAZINGA! - results appear as if by magic. Kindle? HERE
US Hardcover - HERE
UK Hardcover - HERE
US Paperback - HERE
UK Paperback - not yet
- If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.
- 2 Chronicles 7:14 RSV
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
- robtbrown said What seems to be happening is that Rome is piece b...
- Jenson71 said [Hillary Clinton said last April that Christians m...
- Cincinnati Priest said Ooh rah! Thanks God for a priest who preaches the...
- Benedict Joseph said We need speak truth not only to secular power stru...
- AnnTherese said Speak truth to power: Amen to that!
- The Ubiquitous said From a Maronite friend: Neither the original nor t...
- dn.philip.mathew said I’m not a Maronite and know very little abou...
- gracie said The nuns had us memorize the entire Baltimore Cate...
- Benedict Joseph said Exhibit “A” of the fraudulence riding...
- Augustine Thompson O.P. said *if* this is accurate, the current “English&...
- SKAY said Sandy said: “Regarding the other items, my d...
- Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda said So bad that it is hard to believe.
- Fr Martin Fox said Jenson said: Fr. Martin Fox states: “Citizens Unit...
- The Masked Chicken said frjim4321 wrote: “What a faithful Catholic i...
- Tina in Ashburn said I’m not a Maronite, but I have been under th...
- Kathleen10 said frjim, your rationale for voting in Hillary Clinto...
- Grumpy Beggar said With face firmly in palm, I tried to research this...
- Matthew Gaul said The Maronite church didn’t just discover thi...
- David in T.O. said I am a Maronite by canonical right, it was the rit...
- JabbaPapa said Father Z asked for a time info — the news ab...
- Traductora said They (VII central) have been working very hard on...
- JabbaPapa said This granting by the Holy See of faculties to the...
- RafqasRoad said Fr. Z., ‘Reforms’ began to creap into...
- S.Armaticus said I would suggest a good listening to the end of vid...
- JabbaPapa said According to Rome, SSPX priests are latae sententi...
- CatholicMD said When will these bishops learn? I am glad I wasn...
- Jenson71 said Fr. Martin Fox states: “Citizens United is a...
- frjim4321 said That’s pure speculation. Any elective abortion for...
- Ave Crux said @Papabile: If you listen to the talks you will se...
- ChgoCatholic said When I learned more about Padre Pio, I was really...
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee) and Norcia (beer)!
Without you, there is no blog.
There is a subscription form at the bottom of this page!
Art by D Burkart
- Aedificantium enim unusquisque gladio erat accinctus.
- Nehemiah 4:18
"Where priest and people together face the same way, what we have is a cosmic orientation and also in interpretation of the Eucharist in terms of resurrection and trinitarian theology. Hence it is also an interpretation in terms of parousia, a theology of hope, in which every Mass is an approach to the return of Christ."
Joseph Ratzinger - The Feast of Faith"In those situations where homosexual unions have been legally recognized or have been given the legal status and rights belonging to marriage, clear and emphatic opposition is a duty. ... If all Catholics are obliged to oppose the legal recognition of homosexual unions, Catholic politicians are obliged to do so in a particular way, in keeping with their responsibility as politicians." CDF 2003
One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting. — C. S. Lewis
Ham Radio Stuff
Fr. Z - W9FRZ - OFF
QRV on: 00m 00000
Check Echolink WB0YLE-R - OFF
"One of the few things in life you can be absolutely sure about is that, if Management tells you it doesn't like your Tone, you are getting something right."
"Latin is a precise, essential language. It will be abandoned, not because it is unsuitable for the new requirements of progress, but because the new men will not be suitable for it. When the age of demagogues and charlatans begins, a language like Latin will no longer be useful, and any oaf will be able to give a speech in public and talk in such a way that he will not be kicked off the stage. The secret to this will consist in the fact that, by making use of words that are general, elusive, and sound good, he will be able to speak for an hour without saying anything. With Latin, this is impossible."
- - Giovanni Guareschi
Support them with prayer and fasting.
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
"We as Catholics have not properly combated (the culture) because we have not been taught our Catholic Faith, especially in the depth needed to address these grave evils of our time. This is a failure of catechesis both of children and young people that has been going on for fifty years. It is being addressed, but it needs much more radical attention... What has also contributed greatly to the situation is an exaltation of the virtue of tolerance which is falsely seen as the virtue which governs all other virtues. In other words, we should tolerate other people in their immoral actions to the extent that we seem also to accept the moral wrong. Tolerance is a virtue, but it is certainly not the principal virtue; the principal virtue is charity... Charity means speaking the truth. I have encountered it (not speaking the truth) many times myself as a priest and bishop. It is something we simply need to address. There is far too much silence — people do not want to talk about it because the topic is not 'politically correct.' But we cannot be silent any longer."
Raymond Card. Burke
Help the Sisters. They have a building project. Get great soap (gifts, etc.) while helping REAL nuns!
Some OBLIGATORY reading…
Leave Voice Mail for Fr. Z
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…... and there will be nearly 1,000,000 page loads this month.
A great hymnal…
Find a Quality Realtor. Support the Gospel of Life!
If you, or someone you know, needs to buy or sell a house, office, or any kind of domestic or commercial property anywhere in the world, call Real Estate For Life on 1-877-LIFE-US1. They connect you with an expert agent with a proven track-record from a local franchised broker or strong independent. When the sale is completed, the agent gives a portion of their fee to Real Estate For Life as a referral fee. Real Estate For Life gives 80% of that fee to one of the pro-life organizations they work with: a house with a value of $150,000 means $1000 goes to the pro-life organization. It doesn't cost you anything.
And for your cybersecurity…
Mystic Monk Coffee also has TEA!
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
My wish lists
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- St. John Paul II
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
A morsel for thought…
"If your work is strong enough for someone to hate you, it's strong enough for someone to love you. The middle is what you should fear."
- Sean McCabe @seanwes
- We are at a “precarious moment in our history” when churches must speak truth to power
- Happy Feast of Our Lady of Walsingham to members of the Ordinariate
- WDTPRS Collect 19th Sunday after Pentecost- “Why did God make you?”
- “O God, you are so big!” Maronite English liturgical translations: Devastation!
- Padre Pio music on his feast day: Musical Setting of his “Prayer” (VIDEO)
- WDTPRS – 26th Ordinary Sunday: Bowels of Mercy
- SSPX Bp. Fellay talks about relations with the Holy See
- September Ember!
- MEXICO: Another priest kidnapped after two were murdered
- Acton on giving the powerful a pass because they are famous
- The Autumnal Tipping Point
- Trump campaign forms Catholic advisory group
- Jesuit Fr James Martin honored by homosexual advocates condemned by Holy See and USCCB
- FOLLOW UP: Fr. Z asks help from priests: Can you take a Gregorian Mass set, stipend?
- ASK FATHER: Confession line very slow and Father looks out at people waiting
- UPDATE Road Warrior Tips: Cheaper data abroad (KeepGo) and soft landings
- ASK FATHER: How to “steel ourselves” and not come down off from our crosses?
- ASK FATHER: Why are we responsible for the sin of Adam and Eve when weren’t there?
- ASK FATHER: Why MUST one be in communion with Rome?
- Recent Islamic terror attacks in NYC and Minnesota
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- This saint, after 1969, never said Mass using the Novus Ordo
- 19 Sept – NAPLES: The blood of St Januarius liquefied!
- PSA: International Talk Like A Pirate Day
- Read the reviews right away before they are removed.
- Ross Douthat on candidate Quisling Kaine (D-VA) and on Francis’ papal doctrine dance
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- ¡Viva Cristo Rey! Mexican bishop persecuted by homosexualists
- WDTPRS – 18th Sunday after Pentecost: Who says mercy has to be gentle? Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- CQ CQ CQ – #HamRadio Saturday – Misc
For your consideration…
"One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting."
- C.S. Lewis
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Please follow me on Twitter!
- "It will never be known what acts of cowardice have been committed for fear of not looking sufficiently progressive."
Charles Pierre Péguy Notre Patrie, 1905"If I ought to write the truth, I am of the mind that I ought to flee all meetings of bishops, because I have never seen any happy or satisfactory outcome to any council, nor one that has deterred evils more than it has occasioned their acceptance and growth."
St. Gregory Nazianzus ep. 131 - AD 382“We will conquer your Rome, break your crosses, and enslave your women. If we do not reach that time, then our children and grandchildren will reach it, and they will sell your sons as slaves at the slave market.”
Reading and gift ideas!
Monthly Archives: December 2006
We have come to the last days of the Church’s preparation for the feast of the Nativity of the Lord. COLLECT: Deus, humanae conditor et redemptor naturae, qui Verbum tuum in utero perpetuae virginitatis carnem assumere voluisti, respice propitius ad … Continue reading
TodayÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s prayer was, as we read above, among those used to admonish people to fast during the seventh month. We have ancient sermons about this September fast time as well as the Advent fast of the Ã¢â‚¬Å“tenth monthÃ¢â‚¬Â (time was calculated a little differently then because the calendar had little by little drifted). For example, we have the wisdom of Pope St. Leo I (+461), nicknamed Ã¢â‚¬Å“the GreatÃ¢â‚¬Â, about the Advent fast: Ã¢â‚¬Å“What can be more salutary for us than fasting, by the practice of which we draw nearer to God, and, standing fast against the devil, defeat the vices that lead us astray. For fasting was ever the food of virtue. From abstinence there arise chaste thoughts, just decisions, salutary counsels. And through voluntary suffering the flesh dies to the concupiscences, and the spirit waxes strong in virtue. But as the salvation of our souls is not gained solely by fasting, let us fill up what is wanting in our fasting with almsgiving to the poor. Let us give to virtue what we take from pleasure. Let abstinence of those who fast be the dinner of the poor.Ã¢â‚¬Â Another great saint with the nickname Ã¢â‚¬Å“the GreatÃ¢â‚¬Â, St. Basil of Caesarea (+379) hammered home the urgency of Advent almsgiving: Ã¢â‚¬Å“The command is clear: the hungry person is dying now, the naked person is freezing now, the person in debt is beaten now Ã¢â‚¬â€œ and you want to wait until tomorrow?Ã¢â‚¬Â In the ancient Church fasting from good things was closely connected to good works of mercy for the poor, especially almsgiving. Do not forget this, O Catholic reader. Continue reading
What Does the Prayer Really Say? 3rd Sunday of Advent “Gaudete” – Station: St. Peter in the Vatican ORIGINALLY PRINTED IN The Wanderer in 2006 I have had interesting correspondence with a scholar of Latin, Claudia Wick, who works for … Continue reading
Biretta tip to blog participant Cathy of Alexandria for alerting us to a letter of support published in the French daily Le Figaro in favor of the restoration of the "Tridentine" Mass. They actually says, "Gregorian Mass", which we must … Continue reading
Many Old Testament figures are accounted as saints by the Catholic Church. Today is the commemoration of St. Haggai, one of the twelve prophets of the Old Testament. Here is his entry in the Roman Martyrology: 1. Commemoratio sancti Aggaei, … Continue reading
Here is the Collect for the 2nd Week of Advent. This prayer has its roots in Rotulus 19 published with the Veronese Sacramentary. It is also in Gelasian Sacramentary. It was not in any edition of the Missale Romanum before … Continue reading
There is a little-known fact about the order of these ancient O Antiphons. This is not apparent in English, but it can be seen clearly in the official language of the Roman Catholic Church: Latin. The Latin versions of each … Continue reading
Some time ago I made a little webpage about the O Antiphons. If there is any interest I could also do a Patristic O Antiphon Project as I did with the Mysteries of the Rosary. Sound interesting?
Here is the Collect for the 2nd Week of Advent. This prayer was in the ancient Gelasian Sacramentary but not in any edition of the Missale Romanum before the Novus Ordo. COLLECT:Concede, quaesumus, omnipotens Deus, plebi tuaeadventum Unigeniti tui cum … Continue reading
Here is a story from Aci Prensa. They are reporting that the Motu Proprio might come after Christmas. Motu Proprio despuÃƒÂ©s de Navidad, ExhortaciÃƒÂ³n ApostÃƒÂ³lica en Enero REDACCIÃƒâ€œN CENTRAL, 14 Dic. 06 (ACI).- Fuentes cercanas al Vaticano informaron a ACI … Continue reading
I reported the other day that the Holy Father would give links of the chain that bound St. Paul to the Orthodox Archbishop of Athens. Here is the speech, so far in the French version (which is the language it … Continue reading
Here is the Collect for Thursday of the 2nd Week of AdventCOLLECT:Excita, Domine, corda nostraad praeparandas Unigeniti tui vias,ut, per eius adventum,purificatis tibi mentibus servire mereamur.This was in the 1962 Missale for the 2nd Sunday of Advent. Centuries before, the … Continue reading
I know you have seen this already, but we should have some dicussion about it. You know that right wing politics in France is tied to the older form of Mass is. Now Italy? The story is from CWN. If … Continue reading
Departing for the USA…
Here is the Collect for Wednesday of the 2nd Week of Advent. COLLECT:Omnipotens Deus, qui nos praecipisiter Christo Domino praeparare,concede propitius, ut nullis infirmitatibus fatigemur,qui caelestis medici consolantem praesentiam sustinemus.This prayer is ancient, from Rotulus 6 published with the Veronese … Continue reading