Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Amerikaner: Just. Plain. Awesome!
- BrEdmund: “Spi ritus sancti gratia illuminet sensus et corda nostraR 21;. “May the grace of the Holy Spirit illuminate our senses and our heartsR 21;. One of the prayers to begin...
- Justalurkingfool: I would never take action against someone with dementia, period. Other than preventing them from doing further damage. Preventing further harm is NOTHING related to punishment . I...
- DebbieInCT: hahahahaha !!! I miss Bob Hope, too.
- Gab: Hope your talk was videoed, Fr Z and that you’ ll let us see it :)
- Facta Non Verba: Bob Hope would not be able to get away with such a line in Hollywood today. He would be black-ball ed and run out of town.
- Spinmamma: Beautiful. I teared up. @SKAY What did you mean by your comment?
- SKAY: Unfortunat ely things are changing in this country.
- SKAY: Thank you, Father. I needed that laugh. I miss Bob Hope.
- The Egyptian: Goal is to make your seat a little smaller
- Sandy: God bless and protect them in their battle against evil! How inspiring that they know better how to worship the Lord than comfortabl e people in our country.
- jjbulano: Brilliant! Spot on!
- Therese: That’ ;s beautiful. St. Peter Damian, pray for us!
- teachermom24: “The Catholic writer Kevin Vost has written several books like “Memorize the Faith!” He mentions an 11 year old boy easily memorized all the Popes. IEW has a series called...
- youngcatholicgirl: So long as we’r e sharing St. Therese stories, I have one that is a bit amusing. A little over a year ago, I was raising money to purchase two statues of Our Lady of...
- BrionyB: Poor St Therese, what horrible bullying of a kind-heart ed, trusting young woman. Just goes to show that fake news and ‘trolling’ are nothing new. I hope he lived to be ashamed of his...
- Ellen: I read a very good biography of St. Therese by Guy Gaucher and he mentioned this incident. The prioress knew about Therese 217;s gift of writing poetry and plays and she wrote this play...
- JARay: Thank you “Gab ” for your explanatio n of the source of the title of the book by Cardinal Sarah. How very apt this title is right now! I have every intention of purchasing this...
- Les Buissonets: Ste Therese was also instrument al in my conversion . Fr Z: when are you going to write your autobiogra phy? You keep referring to isolated incidents, but I’m longing to read...
- JonPatrick: St. Peter Damian, pray for us!
- Gab: acardanl because in Luke Ch 24, ”  And they drew nigh to the town, whither they were going: and he made as though he would go farther.  But they constraine d him; saying: Stay...
- BrerJason: “For God’ s sake, why do you damnable sodomites pursue the heights of ecclesiast ical dignity with such fiery ambition?& #8221;R 21; – Excerpt from Letters of Peter...
- APX: She had been a natural blond. No, she was a brunette. Her hair is on display along with her personal effects. http://nob ility.org/ wp-content /uploads/2 013/09/Her -hair.jpg
- Jerome Charles: Most men– homo or hetero, have a proclivity to sex. That’ ;s why celibacy is so difficult& #8211;and is a charism. Most men don’ t have the charism, and it cannot...
- Fr. Kelly: Imrahil The Three Brothers are of course, Future, Past and Present, the Rulers of Time.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- My View For Awhile: Rapid Western Strike – RETURN TRIP
- Bob Hope makes insightful observation
- These, ladies and gentlemen, are men.
- Mighty St. Thérèse, victim of “fake news” and the cruelty of libs
- New book from Card. Sarah
- Open Letter From Cardinals Burke and Brandmüller to Conferences of Bishops: “The plague of the homosexual agenda has been spread within the Church”
- Fr. Finigan @FatherTF and the importance of memorization
- During the Rome “summit” we celebrate the Feast of St Peter Damian, Doctor of the Church
- Rome abuse “summit”, an SSPX video, and an @fatherz Jeremiad
- The Rome “summit”, “gay” priests, and #sodoclericalism – Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Fr. Rutler’s Weekly Column
- BOOK RECEIVED: 1962 Parish Ritual – HUZZAH!
- Archbp. Viganò offers thoughts on The Present Crisis before the Rome “Summit”
- Suffering and attacks on the Church’s “Eldest Daughter”
- Mister McCarrick
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Shiny little fish!
- Interesting observation by @CCPecknold about laicization of McCarrick
- WDTPRS – Septuagesima Sunday: PRE-LENT BEGINS!
- Of Flaring Suns and Starry Nights
- A quick book plug: A Catholic Introduction to the Bible: The Old Testament
- Opportunity: R.I.P.
- POLL: Prayers after Mass
- “Know also this, that, in the last days, shall come dangerous times.”
- Do you know priests who are struggling, under attack? Terrific movement: Seven Sisters Apostolate
- Movement in the causes of Bl. John Henry Newman and Card. József Mindszenty
- ASK FATHER: During sick call, tea and biscuits before administering Communion
- Another look at Catholic/Islamic statement: “diversity of religions … are willed by God in His wisdom”
- Your Good News
- “Rumors that a certain prelate threatens his orthodox priests with institutionalization or laicization are not rumors… they are truth”
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Monthly Archives: January 2007
This is the feast of St. Marcella, one of the friends of St. Jerome (+420). She died in 410 during invasion of Alaric the Visigoth. We know about her mainly from the letters of her friend St. Jerome. Jerome wrote … Continue reading
Here is the view from my window tonight: However, I am still in touch with the Sabine Farm via webcam when I need a fix. Here is the view I would be seeing from my desk. I have the best … Continue reading
In my fervent blogorial* solicitude for participants, I added a comment preview function. This will give you the chance to make … adjustments… before posting: to content, not just spelling! Enjoy! *A neologism based on the frequent error made by … Continue reading
The Eucharist, its celebration and itself as the extraordinary Sacrament, is the “source and summit of Christian life”. If we really believe that, then we must also hold that what we do in church, what we believe happens in a … Continue reading
In the Sunday Angelus address today, His Holiness lauded St. Thomas Aquinas and spoke of the necessity of reason for the sake of modern society. He mentioned his speech in Regensburg. Benedict spoke of the way St. Thomas was able … Continue reading
In the Sunday Telegraph there is an article by Malcolm Moore about famed Fr. Reginald Foster, OCD, long-time Latinist for the Holy See. In the article Moore quotes Foster about the so-called "Tridentine" indult. Foster is not positive (emphasis mine). … Continue reading
Biretta tip to Catholic Church Conservation for the heads up on a comment made by the director of the German section of Vatican Radio, Fr. Eberhard von Gemmingen SJ. (Emphasis mine) In all probability Pope Benedict will give the permission … Continue reading
What Does The Prayer Really Say? 4th Sunday In Ordinary Time ORIGINALLY PRINTED IN The Wanderer in 2007 I had a lovely experience. I went for supper with a priest and 13 sisters visiting Rome. The Sister Servants of … Continue reading
What Does the Prayer Really Say? Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time ORIGINALLY PRINTED IN The Wanderer in 2001 This prayer comes in a time when we see in the newsworthy activities being covered by the media that love of God … Continue reading
A long time ago, in a parish far far away, I got in terrible trouble on the feast of St. Angela Merici (+1540), foundress of the Ursulines in Brescia and a patroness of Catholic education. I was asked to bless … Continue reading
The Cardinal Secretary of State has a big job, to say the least. But these days, he is busy with book presentations. He had one a couple days ago, for a book on people who helped Jews during WWII. Today … Continue reading
Today is the feast of St. Vitalian, Pope (657-672), who is also a co-patron of the Suburbicarian Diocese of Velletri-Segni. He was born in Segni (where the finest chestnuts of Italy are found). I would be remiss if I did … Continue reading
Claudio Card. Hummes, Prefect of the Congregation for Clergy, has written to all the priests of the world via the website of the Congregation. Let’s look at the central section and pull it apart. I have some obervations along the … Continue reading
Today the great Sts. Timothy and Titus overshadow all others who are listed in the Roman Martyrology. 2. Hippone Regio in Numidia, sancti Theogenis, martyris, de quo sanctus Augustinus sermonem habuit. .. At Hippo Regius in Numidia (N. Africa), [the … Continue reading