20 Aug: St. Samuel, prophet

Today is feast of St. Samuel, the prophet of the Old Testament.

Many people do not realize that Old Testament figures are often considered saints.

Here is the entry for St. Samuel in the Roman Martyrology:

2. Commemoratio sancti Samuelis, prophetae, qui puer a Deo vocatus, dein iudicis in Israel munere fungens, Deo iubente, Saulem unxit regem super populum, sed, illo postea a Domino ob infidelitatem reiecto, regalem unctionem contulit etiam Davidi, cuius ex semine Christus erat nasciturus.

Would some of you like to take a shot at your flawless and smooth translation?

This entry was posted in SESSIUNCULA. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to 20 Aug: St. Samuel, prophet

1. vox borealis says:

“The commemoration of Saint Samuel, the Prophet, who as a boy was called by God, then while performing the office of judge in Israel, as God commanded, he annointed Saul as king over of the people; but afterwards, when that one had been rejected by the Lord on account of his infidelity, Saul then conferred the royal annointing upon David, from whose seed Christ would be born.”

That’s not too shabby, if not too smooth either.

2. gengulphus says:

Forgive me Vox for drawing your attention to a typo – you have inadvertently made Saul the anointer of King David instead of Samuel.

3. gengulphus says:

4. Vox Borealis says:

Oops…that’ll teach me for typing this right before running to catch the bus!

5. Marcus says:

Father John: you say some OT figures are “often considered” saints. I know the Eastern Churches regards many OT people as saints, but my understanding is that Catholics should only reverence people formally declared saints, because their heavenly citizenship has been revealed to us. Otherwise, would it not be mere “wishing” people to be in heaven? Could you explain this a bit?

This caught my eye, because our parish just had a VBS program of saints sharing their stories in heaven (great format). However, the last day had Jonah in heaven telling his story to the other saints. However, it seems that the Book of Jonah ends with him getting a severe butt-chewing from the Almighty. After no little debate, we dropped that day’s program in favor of a cookout.

6. Marcus: Not all saints are officially canonized, but some are considered, and properly, saints from long before the Church’s practice of official canonization. Also, not all saints are celebrated at the altar in the Church’s official calendar in the Missale Romanum or in the calendar in the Ordo. They are, however, found in another of the Church’s official liturgical books, the Roman Martyrology

7. David M.O'Rourke says:

Regarding not all saints being canonized I was surprised about a year ago to learn that St. Albert the Great had never been canonized and was only done (without ceremony) by Pope Pius XI when that Pope was declaring albert to be a Doctor of the Church. One wonders where the Dominicans were all those centuries as Religious Orders are usually anxious to see their members canonized.

About two years ago on a trip to England I visited the magnificent ruins of the Abbey of Rivaulx. The great founder of that Abbey was St. Aelred who among other things is apparently considered the patron saint of Christian friendship.

But I recently read that he has never been canonized. Do you know anything about this Father Z (other than the fact that the Cistercians seem to have been as lax as the Dominicans)?

David M. O’Rourke

8. Derik says:

Dear David M. O’Rourke.

The first step in the canonization of Albertus was taken in 1622 when he was beatified, and then canonized 1931.
    One wishes the process was faster, but I think the fact that even after so many years Albertus was finally awarded sainthood and a Phd :-) means that truth cannot be hidden for ever.
    There problems with both the beatification and canonization process. First because of his tendency to master any branch of the human knowledge, he was accused by his friars of neglecting his duties as dominican monk. Briefly the book of Consitutions and Ordinations, that rules dominican life specifies Theology as the primary subject of study.
    Second, at one point during the canonization process, Albertus was accused of sorcery! You can imagine how hard dominicans had to work for several centuries to maintain Albertus canonization process alive.

God bless.

9. Derik, thanks for filling me in on the saga of the canonization of St. Albert The Great. The process towards canonization can be as interesting as it must (at times) be frustrating.

But I still wonder about St. Aelred. Notice I use the title “Saint”. I have never heard him referred to as other than “Saint” Aelred yet he seems never to have been canonized or, for all I know, beatified. It isn’t as though he was obscure. His books are still read and in his day his counsel was sought by kings and Popes. I believe I stood at the site of his tomb in the east end of the Abbey Church but I suspect that his body was ireverently disposed of when the abbey was dissolved.

Does Father Z know?

10. CPKS says:

“The feast of Saint Samuel, the prophet, called by God when he was yet a boy. As judge in Israel, he anointed Saul by God’s command as king over the people; but when the Lord later rejected Saul because of his faithlessness, Samuel then conferred the royal unction upon David, the one from whose seed Christ would one day be born.”

Smooth? Hairy?