Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- MrsMacD: Your collar?! Hmmm… ; keeping any illegal substances in your collar Father? I bet the guy was just checking out the collar. I wonder how this thing works? Is it comfortabl e? This...
- Adaquano: Mass in OF… Our pastor ended his homily be reflecting in Mary despite having the Holy Spirit within her from the Annucation , she was present in the Upper room, praying with and for...
- Moro: I used to think this too until I was preparing to serve mass and someone brought to our attention a host that had been left on the floor. That particular chapel had so much foot traffic...
- tominrichmond: Gotta get em young. What a shame to see, year after year, each and every first communican t stick their hands out. I have little doubt that “in the hand” ; is the default...
- Semper Gumby: Great video. Sandy, that’ ;s impressive .
- Semper Gumby: Fr. Z: Indeed. David L Alexander: Great comment. “Whe n surrounded by disorder, a designated routine of prayer brings order to the interior. And, of course, a good and sturdy...
- Fr Martin Fox: My homily emphasized the Fire of the Holy Spirit: the Holy Spirit is given to us not as an ornament or a hobby, but that we may be transforme d. I gave two examples, one to illustr...
- TonyO: My pastor focused not on Pentecost as an event (tongues of fire, other languages, etc), but on the Gospel passage, of Christ giving the power to forgive sins, and absolutely hammered the...
- David L Alexander: hwriggles4 : You will find the NCCS’ ;s position on BSA membership policy decisions, including those removing sexual orientatio n and gender identity as barriers to member...
- Kevin: Top drawer homily from Canon Lebocq Prior of ICRSP here in Ireland. He took each of the gifts of the Holy Spirit given to us in Confirmati on showing how they point us to reject the abort...
- sallyr: I work at a facility with hundreds of developmen tally disabled adults. There is no way we could evacuate them in one of these scenarios you are discussing . Many of them have very complex...
- Carrie: Yes, MrsMacD, the Old Testament is full of stories of righteous battles. That reflected the Jewish understand ing of God. But Jesus came and set us straight (read Mt 5:38-48). As Fr. Z...
- Carrie: And— true. It’s the opinion of most of the world. [?] America has become a joke, that puts guns before life itself. But, “sending thoughts and prayers” takes care of things and absol...
- Andreas: Ave Crux wrote, “It makes you wonder if such correction s harden them and they use it as an excuse to stop coming to Mass altogether , then YOU feel guiltyR 21;. Thank you for...
- Ave Crux: I have three heartbreak ing stories on what Communion in the hand leads to — and they’ ;re reality, not “Tra ditional Catholic hyperbole& #8221; 1) I entered a church for...
- Fr. Reader: @robtbrown I cannot, obviously, affirm the sin of no one. I should have used different words in what I wrote. And yes, the Quo Primus is a very strong text.
- hwriggles4: While I am disgusted with the Boy Scouts at the National Level, I do know some Scout leaders who want to keep their troops intact. One Scout leader a few years ago told me he was going...
- JARay: I am horrified to read of this happening. I well remember procession s in the streets outside our church on the Feast of Corpus Christi when I was a boy. But this never happens now. One big...
- Carrie: USA motto: “In Guns We Trust.” [That̵ 7;s petty and cheap.] I prefer this: “Put away your sword. Those who live by the sword, die by the sword.” (Jesus) Or, “They will beat their swords...
- hwriggles4: While I have not heard of priests refusing to baptize babies (unless the parent (s) did not express a sincere commitment to raise the baby in the faith), I for one didn’ ;t realize...
- Midwest St. Michael: Joy65 says: “Our Lord when received should be received with the recipient on his/her knees. He deserves that much and more.̶ 1; Absolutely ! Or, at the very least,...
- MrsMacD: Carrie, I struggled with this myself, until I read the old testament. Perhaps watching the movie, “The Hidden Rebellion, ” would help you to put things into perspectiv e....
- Joe in Canada: I’m reading “Euc haristic Miracles 8221; by Joan Carroll Cruz. It’s amazing how many of the miracles happened after someone received Communion the way they did...
- Joe in Canada: I guess this means that those in the Ordinary Form can no longer have the option of Pentecost Monday which is mentioned in the Missal. I guess we can take “or even Tuesday...
- StephenCordova: The hymns for the office of readings and matins are Latin translatio ns of lines 1-39 from canto 33 of Dante’s _Paradiso_ , Bernard of Clairvaux’ s salutation of the Virgin.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- WDTPRS – Pentecost Sunday: that strong stable edge
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- BACK IN PRINT! The Heresy of Formlessness
- My View For Awhile: Creston Edition
- “I used to think hosts found on floors was Traditional Catholic hyperbole…”
- Monday after Pentecost: Memorial of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of the Church – TEXTS
- Bp. Schneider’s terrific talk in Rome – ACTION ITEM!
- ASK FATHER: As a lay woman, should I have a “Mass kit” in my “Bug Out Bag”?
- @JamesMartinSJ can also amuse
- I have bad news and good news: Scouts and Troops
- Darío Card. Castrillón Hoyos, former Pres. of the Pont. Comm. “Ecclesia Dei” – RIP
- Bp. Schneider on the Met “Gay-la”
- BOOKS RECEIVED: Peter Kreeft and 2018 Ignatius Pew Missal
- VIDEOS: Lessons in how properly to fold a cassock
- VIDEO: Military pilgrimage to Lourdes
- Fascinating and sad: transcript of 1976 meeting of Paul VI and SSPX Archbp. Lefebvre
- A light TEOTWAWKI moment
- @ArchbishpSample to make liturgical changes in the @archpdx
- “The Council that might have been…” but wasn’t.
- INTERNET PRAYER UPDATE: MALAYALAM
- Justice Thomas delievers commencement address
- ASK FATHER: Timing of announcements during Holy Mass
- ASK FATHER: Religious Ed teacher controls First Communion
- My View For Awhile: Domum
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Sad: “Cranmer tables” in the Pantheon and many great Roman churches
- ¡Hagan lío! Wherein Fr. Z is pretty angry and wants to fight back
- ASK FATHER: Stuck at work for all Sunday obligation Masses
- Some Views From The Journey: Rome again – UPDATED
- Beans, the Lord’s Ascension and You
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Monthly Archives: September 2007
I posted this last year. But I put so much work into it that it deserves recycling.
Some time ago, there was a discussion on one of our splendid Catholic blogs making mention of the burial place of St. Jerome perhaps … Continue reading
His Excellency Most Reverend John T. Steinbock of the Diocese of Fresno has made a statement about the application of the provisions in the Pope’s Motu Proprio Summorum Pontificum.
My emphases and comments.
Mass in Latin
Pastoral Message … Continue reading
I tip my biretta to the always engaging Diogenes for the links to what follows.
Another Episcopalian has decided he can no longer endure the self-destruct mode that Church is vigorously wrapped up in. So, he is swimming the Tiber. … Continue reading
Corriere della Sera‘s Luigi Accatoli has an article about the possibility of Pope Benedict celebrating Mass in the Basilica of St. Peter with the extraordinary use of the Roman Rite he derestricted with Summorum Pontificum.
Accatoli raises the interesting … Continue reading
The Jersey Journal has an article on the implementation of the Motu Proprio Summorum Pontificum in
My emphases and comments.
Church celebrates a return to traditional mass in LatinMonday, September 24, 2007By CHARLES HACKJOURNAL STAFF WRITER
At a solemn Latin Mass yesterday, … Continue reading
Here is an interesting piece from the Pawtucket Times.
My emphases and comments.
09/28/2007Introibo ad altare Dei (I will go in to the altar of God)By DONNA KENNY KIRWAN
[CLICHE ALERT!] PAWTUCKET – St. Leo the Great Church will be going back in … Continue reading
Here is an interesting piece from the nearly ubiquitous John L. Allen, Jr., the former Roman correspondent for the lefty NCR. Get this.
Benedict XVI’s approval rating in America is 73 … Continue reading
That might be a little exaggeration, but the Italian journalist Andrea Tornielli has posted on his blog Sacri Palazzi:
The nomination of Msgr. Guido Marini, of the clergy of Genoa, as head of the Office of liturgical celebrations of the Pope, … Continue reading
Today, as last year, in the chapel of the Sabine Farm, Holy Mass was celebrated with the 1962 Missale Romanum. The vestments were appropriately angelic and festive. After all, the chapel was filled also with angels.
Here is a little … Continue reading
Here is a nice article from Catholic New York.
My emphases and comments.
Traditional Latin Mass community celebrates pope’s decree
By CLAUDIA McDONNELL
Reverence and devotion filled the air like incense [There is really something very different about the atmosphere of … Continue reading