This blog is NOT a "Safe Space" for catholic Snowflakes!
SHOPPING ONLINE? Christmas is not very far away…
Please, come here first! Enter Amazon through my search box and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see the search box? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
PS: I added Amazon Search Boxes for the UK and for Canada at the bottom of the blog page. Copy and paste titles I mention into those boxes and - BAZINGA! - results appear as if by magic. Kindle? HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
GIFT FOR YOUR PRIESTS AND SEMINARIANS!
PLEASE HELP with a TAX DEDUCTIBLE DONATION for a new set of Pontifical Vestments for the Extraordinary Form in WHITE
Thanks to: JD!, MH!, Fr JZ!, MP, Fr AS, AS!, GG wow!, RH, DH, TP, TP, BC, CU, AC, AW // DK //
“The liturgy is the principal organ of the Church’s Ordinary Magisterium.”
- Pius XI
If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.
- 2 Chronicles 7:14 RSV
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
- Robert of Rome said Gee, I hope they’re not rigid!
- KatieL56 said Just because it’s getting close to Christmas...
- chantgirl said JabbaPapa- That may be the case, but they still en...
- JARay said I echo “Papabile”. I too have been pra...
- oledocfarmer said Our Lady of Akita, please call your office.
- Elizabeth D said Doesn’t that song take on on a whole new dep...
- jameeka said I would like to ask your prayers for a particular...
- MitisVis said Thank you Father, MP3 today, works great. ”...
- jameeka said What an amazing letter! Talk about setting a high...
- polski said This comes at a very interesting time. Recently, a...
- NancyP said I forgot my most important new intention. A young,...
- NancyP said Thank you for praying for L. His burns are not as...
- The Masked Chicken said Dear Henry Edwards, The situation you describe was...
- Semper Gumby said Great excerpt from Fulton Sheen and Letter of Ambr...
- Mary Jane said Kathleen, Mystic Monk? :)
- Kathleen10 said Imagine a fire in the fireplace, a view of the sun...
- Scout said Follow this link to see a photograph of Cdl. Burke...
- John Grammaticus said First Thanksgiving, I passed my exam with a score...
- ReginaO said Please pray for my youngest sister who is struggli...
- Scout said It looks like the video was recorded at the Church...
- Benedict Joseph said We are not only being fed poor reflection but it i...
- KateD said Dear Kiwi, In the NO parishes I have attended, the...
- un-ionized said DcnJohnSaturus, I find the attitude human!
- acardnal said Let’s remember prayerfully those who served...
- SenexCalvus said un-ionized, I stand corrected. Thank you!
- FloridaJoan said I will offer my rosary for each and every prayer r...
- DcnJohnSaturus said I sometimes find myself looking forward to Great L...
- Venerator Sti Lot said Lots of other service music, come to that, at the...
- Venerator Sti Lot said I’ve just noticed there’s all sorts of...
- aliceinstpaul said Our kids’ school is imploding. We don’...
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee) and Norcia (beer)!
Without you, there is no blog.
There is a subscription form at the bottom of this page!
Art by D Burkart
- Aedificantium enim unusquisque gladio erat accinctus.
- Nehemiah 4:18
"Where priest and people together face the same way, what we have is a cosmic orientation and also in interpretation of the Eucharist in terms of resurrection and trinitarian theology. Hence it is also an interpretation in terms of parousia, a theology of hope, in which every Mass is an approach to the return of Christ."
Joseph Ratzinger - The Feast of Faith"In those situations where homosexual unions have been legally recognized or have been given the legal status and rights belonging to marriage, clear and emphatic opposition is a duty. ... If all Catholics are obliged to oppose the legal recognition of homosexual unions, Catholic politicians are obliged to do so in a particular way, in keeping with their responsibility as politicians." CDF 2003
One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting. — C. S. Lewis
Ham Radio Stuff
Fr. Z - W9FRZ - OFF
QRV on: 00m 00000
Check Echolink WB0YLE-R - OFF
"One of the few things in life you can be absolutely sure about is that, if Management tells you it doesn't like your Tone, you are getting something right."
"Latin is a precise, essential language. It will be abandoned, not because it is unsuitable for the new requirements of progress, but because the new men will not be suitable for it. When the age of demagogues and charlatans begins, a language like Latin will no longer be useful, and any oaf will be able to give a speech in public and talk in such a way that he will not be kicked off the stage. The secret to this will consist in the fact that, by making use of words that are general, elusive, and sound good, he will be able to speak for an hour without saying anything. With Latin, this is impossible."
- - Giovanni Guareschi
Support them with prayer and fasting.
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
"We as Catholics have not properly combated (the culture) because we have not been taught our Catholic Faith, especially in the depth needed to address these grave evils of our time. This is a failure of catechesis both of children and young people that has been going on for fifty years. It is being addressed, but it needs much more radical attention... What has also contributed greatly to the situation is an exaltation of the virtue of tolerance which is falsely seen as the virtue which governs all other virtues. In other words, we should tolerate other people in their immoral actions to the extent that we seem also to accept the moral wrong. Tolerance is a virtue, but it is certainly not the principal virtue; the principal virtue is charity... Charity means speaking the truth. I have encountered it (not speaking the truth) many times myself as a priest and bishop. It is something we simply need to address. There is far too much silence — people do not want to talk about it because the topic is not 'politically correct.' But we cannot be silent any longer."
Raymond Card. Burke
Help the Sisters. They have a building project. Get great soap (gifts, etc.) while helping REAL nuns!
Some OBLIGATORY reading…
Leave Voice Mail for Fr. Z
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…... and there will be nearly 1,000,000 page loads this month.
A great hymnal…
Find a Quality Realtor. Support the Gospel of Life!
If you, or someone you know, needs to buy or sell a house, office, or any kind of domestic or commercial property anywhere in the world, call Real Estate For Life on 1-877-LIFE-US1. They connect you with an expert agent with a proven track-record from a local franchised broker or strong independent. When the sale is completed, the agent gives a portion of their fee to Real Estate For Life as a referral fee. Real Estate For Life gives 80% of that fee to one of the pro-life organizations they work with: a house with a value of $150,000 means $1000 goes to the pro-life organization. It doesn't cost you anything.
And for your cybersecurity…
Mystic Monk Coffee also has TEA!
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
My wish lists
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- St. John Paul II
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
A morsel for thought…
"If your work is strong enough for someone to hate you, it's strong enough for someone to love you. The middle is what you should fear."
- Sean McCabe @seanwes
- Happy Birthday Blog!
- ADVENTCAzT 12: “You are the royal door for the heavenly King…”
- NEW CHRISTMAS CD from the Friars of the Dominican House of Studies
- ADVENTCAzT 11: “Let your words be their own defense”
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- Bp. Schneider: attacks on Four Cardinals, Five Dubia like time of Soviet Union
- 6 Dec – St Nicholas: SNOWFLAKE ALERT! NOT A “SAFE SPACE”!
- ADVENTCAzT 10: Every person is a precious mystery…
- What makes a parish “great”?
- CRUX: An exercise in contrasts concerning ‘Amoris laetitia’
- Send snail-mail Christmas Cards to Fr. Z – 2016
- “People, Look East (except the priest)!”
- ADVENTCAzT 09: Everything can be sanctified
- Fidel’s Ignoble Exit and A Drink Suggestion
- ACTION ITEM! Pontifical Vestments Fund Raising – WHITE
- ASK FATHER: Book recommendations for young men discerning priesthood
- ADVENTCAzT 08: Little drummer boys
- Veneral Sky Show
- WDTPRS – 2nd Sunday of Advent: LIONS!
- What marriage is and what it isn’t
- ADVENTCAzT 07: ‘If only things were different…”
- Leadership in the Church, Reading, and You (Fathers)
- Innovations which Vatican II did NOT call for, but which we got anyway.
- Anthony Esolen is under attack by Providence College
- ACTION ITEM! Petition in support of the Four Cardinals and Five Dubia
- ADVENTCAzT 06: Silence
- Just Too Cool: Measuring instruments altered by electromagnetic disturbances when placed on Christ’s tomb
- Douthat on The End of Catholic Marriage
- Confirmations in the Traditional Form of the Roman Rite
- IMPORTANT UPDATE – Dean of Rota: Pope could strip Four Cardinals of Cardinalate because of Five Dubia
For your consideration…
"One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting."
- C.S. Lewis
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Please follow me on Twitter!
- "It will never be known what acts of cowardice have been committed for fear of not looking sufficiently progressive."
Charles Pierre Péguy Notre Patrie, 1905"If I ought to write the truth, I am of the mind that I ought to flee all meetings of bishops, because I have never seen any happy or satisfactory outcome to any council, nor one that has deterred evils more than it has occasioned their acceptance and growth."
St. Gregory Nazianzus ep. 131 - AD 382“We will conquer your Rome, break your crosses, and enslave your women. If we do not reach that time, then our children and grandchildren will reach it, and they will sell your sons as slaves at the slave market.”
Reading and gift ideas!
Monthly Archives: September 2007
I posted this last year. But I put so much work into it that it deserves recycling. Some time ago, there was a discussion on one of our splendid Catholic blogs making mention of the burial place of St. Jerome … Continue reading
His Excellency Most Reverend John T. Steinbock of the Diocese of Fresno has made a statement about the application of the provisions in the Pope’s Motu Proprio Summorum Pontificum. My emphases and comments. Mass in Latin Pastoral Message aired … Continue reading
I tip my biretta to the always engaging Diogenes for the links to what follows. Another Episcopalian has decided he can no longer endure the self-destruct mode that Church is vigorously wrapped up in. So, he is swimming the Tiber. … Continue reading
Corriere della Sera‘s Luigi Accatoli has an article about the possibility of Pope Benedict celebrating Mass in the Basilica of St. Peter with the extraordinary use of the Roman Rite he derestricted with Summorum Pontificum. Accatoli raises the interesting question … Continue reading
The Jersey Journal has an article on the implementation of the Motu Proprio Summorum Pontificum in My emphases and comments. Church celebrates a return to traditional mass in LatinMonday, September 24, 2007By CHARLES HACKJOURNAL STAFF WRITER At a solemn Latin … Continue reading
Here is an interesting piece from the Pawtucket Times. My emphases and comments. 09/28/2007Introibo ad altare Dei (I will go in to the altar of God)By DONNA KENNY KIRWAN [CLICHE ALERT!] PAWTUCKET – St. Leo the Great Church will be … Continue reading
Here is an interesting piece from the nearly ubiquitous John L. Allen, Jr., the former Roman correspondent for the lefty NCR. Get this. My emphases. Benedict XVI’s approval rating in America is 73 percent, poll finds By John … Continue reading
That might be a little exaggeration, but the Italian journalist Andrea Tornielli has posted on his blog Sacri Palazzi: The nomination of Msgr. Guido Marini, of the clergy of Genoa, as head of the Office of liturgical celebrations of the … Continue reading
Today, as last year, in the chapel of the Sabine Farm, Holy Mass was celebrated with the 1962 Missale Romanum. The vestments were appropriately angelic and festive. After all, the chapel was filled also with angels. Here is a little … Continue reading
Here is a nice article from Catholic New York. My emphases and comments. Solemn Joy Traditional Latin Mass community celebrates pope’s decree By CLAUDIA McDONNELL Reverence and devotion filled the air like incense [There is really something very different about … Continue reading
It has been almost a month since the last PODCAzT. My travels and time restrictions have kept me busy. But today we listen to St. Augustine of Hippo talk about shepherds in union with Christ. Also, I have provided a … Continue reading
It has been a while since I’ve posted one of these "where are you" entries. Here is a snapshot of the last few minutes. These places are not precise. Someone living in St. Ipsidipsy might actually be registered on the … Continue reading
The Bishops of Germany have issued a statement about the implementation of the Motu Proprio Summorum Pontificum. It is available at kreuz.net. The following translation is from cathcon. My emphases and comments. Guidelines of the German Bishops for the … Continue reading
In the continuing drama of the "Fourth Secret" of Fatima (that is, the part of th Third Secret which hasn’t been revealed by the Holy See) read this from CWN: Italian journalists protest exclusion from Fatima discussion Rome, Sep. 27, … Continue reading
His Excellency Most Rev. Kevin J. Farrell, Bishop of Dallas has issued a letter to priests of that diocese about the Holy Father’s provisions in Summorum Pontificum. My emphases and comments. Bishop Farrell’s letter to the priests August 24, 2007 … Continue reading