This article from the California Catholic Daily was sent by a reader via e-mail. My emphases and comments:
"A convenient and available church”
San Francisco archdiocese gains Latin Mass, Santa Rosa diocese loses one
The first episcopally-approved Tridentine Mass in the Archdiocese of San Francisco since the late 1960s was said March 2, the Fourth Sunday in Lent, at the Chapel of the Most Holy Rosary in San Rafael. [NB: Since Summorum Pontificum there is no need to have the bishop’s approval, but it is nice to have it!]
The Mass, said according to the 1962 Missale Romanum of Blessed Pope John XXIII, will continue every week and on holy days of obligation at the chapel on the campus of St. Vincent School for Boys “for the immediate future,” according to the Feb. 29 Catholic San Francisco, the archdiocesan newspaper. (Once a Gold Rush-era orphanage, St. Vincent’s today is a residential treatment center for about 60 emotionally troubled boys from 7 to 17 years old.)
The archdiocese chose Most Holy Rosary chapel, archdiocesan chancellor Fr. Michael Padazinski told Catholic San Francisco, because it was "a convenient and available church that provides for the requirements of the traditional Mass."
The new Mass location will kill two birds with one stone, providing an Extraordinary Rite celebration for the archdiocese and for the Diocese of Santa Rosa as well. The celebrant of the San Rafael Mass, Fr. William Young, a retired priest residing at Most Holy Redeemer parish in San Francisco’s Castro district, has been saying the traditional Mass at St. Mary’s Chapel in Petaluma, in the Santa Rosa diocese. That Mass will be discontinued.
The discontinuation of the Petaluma Mass means that the only Extraordinary Rite celebration in the Santa Rosa diocese will be at Holy Family Church in Rutherford. This will unlikely change, as Bishop Daniel Walsh indicated last year. Since “we have the challenge of finding priests who are capable of offering the mass according to the old Missal,” Walsh said in his August “Bulletin from the Diocese of Santa Rosa,” it would be “some time” before the diocese would see what “concretely” Pope Benedict XVI’s permission of the traditional rite would mean for the diocese.
The archdiocesan Mass follows Archbishop George Niederauer’s norms governing the implementation of the pope’s July 2007 motu proprio, Summorum Pontificum allowing priests to say the traditional Latin Mass. Though the motu proprio says a priest saying a private Mass “does not require any permission, neither from the Apostolic See nor his own Ordinary,” to use the Missal promulgated by Pope John XXIII in 1962, Niederauer’s norms lay out competency requirements for priests saying the Mass. [This rather makes it seem as if Summorum Pontificum didn’t exist, doesn’t it?]
In addition, the archbishop’s norms instruct priests that they may not on their “own initiative” schedule public celebrations [I wonder if that is in keeping with Summorum Pontificum.] of the Tridentine Mass, which are only to be celebrated in parishes having “a stable group of the faithful who adhere to the earlier tradition" and who request the extraordinary form. The norms define a “stable group” as at least 30 persons "in the same location and in an ongoing manner." [That sure isn’t in Summorum Pontificum!]