Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- stephen c: People should have a way to know if local crazy people are threatenin g , on the internet, to go on a local rampage. There is no easy was, right now, to log in to Facebook or Google and...
- HighMass: The Church is in deep need of Prayer, and another St JPII & Pope Benedict XVI. So much confusion in the Church today Blessed Mother Pray for Us
- APX: if I could be so bold as to ask you and your outstandin g readership base to please pray for us and all Law Enforcemen t at this time. Yes! Please! I recently lost a family member who was a...
- ArthurH: A old HS friend, a big fan of SofG Abp Fulton Sheen, just sent this to me yesterday: One of Sheen̵ 7;s later talks on the nature of the demonic, the diabolical . https://ww w.youtu...
- Kathleen10: Jenson, I don’ t know what you are talking about. Maybe I misunderst and, but in my opinion you have not delved into reality, you are talking pie in the sky daydreams about...
- David: I love Fr. MurrayR 17;s contributi ons to these discussion s, since it is so obvious that he thinks the Vatican has gone off the deep end, but he’s a good priest and doesn̵ 7;t...
- Benedict Joseph: Watching it last Thursday evening was a profound consolatio n. Fr. Murray is truly a superior man. His clarity of thought, his ability to articulate complexiti es with precis...
- Ellen: I work on a college campus and one of the Catholic students said that he got some odd looks because of his ashes and heard someone say: “wha t’s that on his face” ; and the...
- Lorra: God bless the NYPD! I will gladly pray for the NYPD daily, and I am going to place each and every one of them in my spiritual family so that Our Lady can watch over them. Thank you, Father...
- MacCheese: This is well worth viewing, and listening very carefully to what Fr. Murray says. Fathers clarity is exceptiona l.
- Jenson71: One would think the Pope desiring cultures, religions, and countries living peacefully among each other despite their difference s would be rather non-contro versial. St. JPII taught...
- jameeka: Enriching and consoling advice. I love the last lines. “…as far as the past, trust in the Blood of Jesus Christ! 221;
- Semper Gumby: “The Reich began violating the deal almost as soon as the ink on the treaty was dry.” ; Socialists like to sign treaties with disappeari ng ink. Then, if they’ ;re...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: I am confident that readers here will say a prayer to St. Michael for your protection from all spiritual and temporal harm! And tune in to MondayR 17;s podcast for sure!
- Semper Gumby: Excellent, Lentcazts. Thanks Fr. Z.
- catholic patrolman: Hey Father Z, As I informed you when we first met, you are an honorary member of our fair society and we are honored to be able to post your daily podcasts on our Facebook page...
- OldProfK: According to some reports I’ve read, people saw something. And said something. And the FBI apparently couldnR 17;t be bothered. Whatever they had that was better to do̷...
- Elizabeth D: I knew Jacek a bit and have been praying and am praying for him. I did not know Fr Kunz but his murder impacted everyone including me. Very fitting to remember him with a traditiona l...
- PTK_70: @pbnelson& #8230;.You call it “jab ber” , I call it “con sideration -worthy 221;. You like your question, I like mine. In fact, I reject your question and theref...
- acardnal: The MSM jumps to discussion s of gun control immediatel y because that’ ;s their agenda. But HOW did the shooter get into the school?? I have yet to hear anyone discuss this topic....
- Kathleen10: frjim, please see “Par is Isn’ t Paris Anymore 221; and tell us why any nation should want to look like Paris these days. Liberals are so fascist. Raymond Arroyo dares to...
- tho: There was an article that I just read, about a cop killer being escorted through the Cook County jail, where he was applauded by some of the inmates. We are being inundated by people who have...
- Kathleen10: Multi-face ted problems are not solved with single response solutions. These shootings did not happen in the 1950’ ;s. What was better then? Those of us here know. People outside...
- The Masked Chicken: The first thing I must say is that the families of the shooting victims in Florida have my sympathies . Thankfully , I have never been at the scene of a mass shooting, but they...
- LeeGilbert: Without discountin g anything you’ ve said about the MSM, Father, there are several other factors that deserve a very close look, chief among them the imaginativ e formation of...
CLICK and say your daily offering!
- Commandments are NOT mere “ideals” from which some are excused because, “They’re tooo haaard!” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- JUST TOO COOL – Cops, ashes, and podcasts
- VIDEO Fr. Murray and Prof. Royal on some tough issues
- LENTCAzT 2018 04 – Ash Saturday: Getting ready for… it.
- Pontifical Requiem Mass for a great lover of the Church’s sacred liturgy
- LENTCAzT 2018 03 – Ash Friday: Grant me a little more time
- Role of #MSM in mass shootings: If it bleeds, it leads. Angry @fatherz asks fearful questions
- Wherein Fr. Z rants in the wake of the Florida school mass murder
- Friday after Ash Wednesday: Feast of the Crown of Thorns
- LENTCAzT 2018 02 – Ash Thursday: What you are I was, what I am you shall be.
- Your #AshWednesday Sermon Notes #ashtag – AUDIO Fr Z
- Ash Wednesday, Fasting, Abstaining, and You – with notes on alligator, endothermic moonfish, and muskrat
- LENTCAzT 2018 01: Ash Wednesday – Unto dust thou shalt return.
- Fun with @OneMadMomBlog – BuzzFeed – Alt-Right and @SebGorka
- LENTCAzT 2018 00: Shrove Tuesday – Get out your armor, pilgrim’s shoes and cloaks
- Singing and confession – Just Too Cool!
- Writing to Fr. Z
- Excellent Letter for Lent from Archbp. Chaput of @ArchPhilly – Fr. Z rants, gives 3 points of advice about sin.
- ASK FATHER: Why can lay people read at Mass?
- ASK FATHER: When should babies be baptized?
- OLYMPICS 2018 12 Feb: CURLING!
- BOOKS RECEIVED: @DouthatNYT on state the Church under Francis (terrific) – John Rist in Reading Augustine series (a scream)
- Benedict XVI’s resignation 5 years on. Your thoughts.
- Carmelite Nuns seeking Priest Chaplain
- JUST TOO COOL! Wherein Fr. Z is AMAZED at … coincidences? I think not.
- Concerning lying by omission, the perils of words, and the advantages of silence
- WDTPRS – 6th Sunday of Ordinary Time: “kissing the porch”
- Wherein Fr. Hunwicke explained and explains today’s “Festum Ovorum”
- ASK FATHER: Could a diocesan priest choose to say only the TLM?
- Your parish priest and YOU.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Daily Archives: 21 April 2008
RealClearPolitics has an interesting piece by E.J. Dionne which I share with you along with my usual emphases and comments.
April 18, 2008 The Pontiff’s CountercultureBy E. J. Dionne
WASHINGTON — The most jarring word that Pope Benedict XVI is using during … Continue reading
There is a useful article at Slate. Nota bene: this was from before the Pope’s visit. I wonder how it stands up in the wake of the Pope time in the USA.
My emphases and comments.
"God’s Rottweiler" Becomes the Church’s "Beloved … Continue reading
Great news was sent to me from Nashville! This is on the website of the Diocese of Nashville. My emphases and comments:
April 18, 2008
Priests receive training in celebrating Tridentine rite
Andy Telli, Tennessee Register
Father William Fitzgerald’s interest in the so-called Tridentine … Continue reading
I got this piece of news via e-mail:
Dear Fr Z.,
The chaplaincy set up in the archdiocese of Dublin to cater for those attached to the Mass and sacraments in the extraordinary form goes from strength to strength.
Daily Mass is celebrated … Continue reading
The Whapping Shriners have a really funny pic:
Many years ago, when I was at first in Rome, when I strove to acquire Italian, learn a new home, and fight terrible loneliness in exile from my patria, living with Italians only, I was desperate to hear or read … Continue reading
During a recent visit to Kansas City, MO, I had the privilege to chat briefly with H.E. Most Reverend Robert Finn. Though the conversation was short, his bearing and comments impressed me. I have also read some of his things. … Continue reading
Here are President Bush’s remarks at the National Catholic Prayer Breakfast. My emphases and comments.
Washington Hilton HotelWashington, D.C.8:33 A.M. EDT
THE PRESIDENT: Thank you for the gracious welcome. Austin, thanks for your kind introduction. Thanks for giving me this unusual … Continue reading
Here is a good piece by Kathleen Parker of National Review, with my emphases and comments.
April 18, 2008, 0:00 a.m.
‘Out of Step’ In praise of criticism.
By Kathleen Parker
Pope Benedict XVI’s visit to the U.S. has afforded the … Continue reading
First, let me say that I don’t know much about US or diplomatic protocol for visits and departures by heads of state, but I thought Vice President Cheney and his wife staying for the until the papal airplane actually pulled … Continue reading
I am still digesting.
Are you still digesting?
Such rich fare over the last few days.