Search Fr. Z’s Blog
When you shop…... through Amazon, please, come here first? BACK TO SCHOOL SHOPPING? Enter Amazon through my search box. I'll then get a small percentage of everything you buy. (Pssst - Can't see the search box? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
A search box for Amazon UK is at the bottom of the blog.
- You keep this blog, and me, going. I pray for benefactors.
There is a subscription form at the bottom of this page!
Support them with prayer and fasting.
- Luvadoxi said I found that my diocesan paper fits perfectly in m...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf said acardnal says: I await in great anticipation…...
- acardnal said Fr Z, speaking of your Kindle Wish List, you said...
- raininnewark said Father – this response is much like one you...
- Iconophilios said I got to dig around the vault and storage rooms at...
- CruceSignati said In 2011, I met this guy who was a few years older...
- Sid Cundiff in NC said Some good news for those of us who hate the Ordina...
- philologus said Quidem nonnumquam eos easque audivi infidel?s, te,...
- NYer said The Portiuncola is very dear to my heart. In 1985...
- einkleinerknabe said I don’t mind the sign of peace if it is shor...
- acardnal said “Birettiquette” is in eminent use in t
- Matt R said It would seem it is from the Mass for the 100th an...
- Matt R said If one is traveling and is in the vicinity of Steu...
- Boniface said At OF masses without a choir I’ve attended i...
- FrGriffin said This is not just any old Pontifical Mass, it is th...
- sisu said The form of the sign of peace that is part of the...
- Forth In Praise - Liturgy Commission Music - Organists' Blog said [...] can read more about the Vatican’s plans on F...
- Robbie said The “handshake/hug it out/give me a kissR...
- Boniface said Dear Sid, The statue of St Ignatius is indeed ther...
- JBS said Thanks, Fr. Z.
- Mike said The choir I belonged to as a teenager always sang...
- benedetta said Wonderful, thank you Father Z.!
- benedetta said When they say that their issue is with celibate ma...
- aemmel said A related question, Father, to something you said...
- Polycarpio said @ocleirbj: In Latin America, a song of Peace/Lamb...
- yatzer said I read somewhere that the “fist bump”...
- templariidvm said Celebrating the 22nd anniversay of my marriage to...
- David Wade DeCoste said Hello Father Z, I started a website to help share...
- ofHippo said Ordered! Maybe it’s just a marketing mind at...
- otter said I find your use of the photo of a dead fish wrappe...
My wish lists
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Help Monks in Wyoming, Fr. Z, and get great coffee too!
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- St. John Paul II
How about Rome in October?
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…... and there will be nearly 1,000,000 page loads this month.
- Ebola Virus – No worries! Right?
- ASK FATHER: Should I attend or avoid a civil marriage of a Catholic?
- First of the month “thanks” to donors and senders
- WDTPRS 18th Ordinary Sunday: clear, cold reality
- VIDEO 1950 – Pontifical Mass in Westminster Cathedral
- Cong. for Worship considers (’bout time) more dignified “Sign of Peace”. POLL
- 2 August until midnight: “Portiuncula” Plenary (or Partial) Indulgence
- 31 July: St. Ignatius of Loyola – Of the Church Militant and book shredding
- Nancy Pelosi rides again!
- Meltdown Countdown: Fishwrap on the Synod
- It’s a terrible thought: dying excommunicated…
- INTERNET PRAYER UPDATE: Tagalog AUDIO added (Klingon on the way)
- Card. Pell: Holder of Vatican purse strings, celebrant of Traditional Roman Rite
- JUST TOO COOL: Acuity Flagpole Project
- ACTION ITEM! Book from 5 Cardinals in defense of marriage and tradition
- Dust up in Paraguay
- Some positive items
- Card. Müller’s book-length interview: refutes Communion for divorced and civilly remarried
- His Hermeneuticalness, priest and hacker
- Your Good News
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- 2nd Amendment wins one in DC!
- 28 July 1914 – WORLD AT WAR – 100th anniversay of WWI
- How Fishwrap celebrates Episcopalian “ordination” of women.
- St. John XXIII doesn’t like it when you clap in church. So STOP it! (VIDEO)
- Archbishop Chaput on Pope Francis
- Boy Scout held at gunpoint at Canadian border
- MS-13 gang recruiting among illegals flooding across the border
- Will IRS monitor content of sermons? Do they now?
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
I just bought some candy bars for the chancery staff. Sweeten up someone’s day!
Wyoming Catholic College!
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
I have been giving out these tougher-than-nails, no-nonsense Rosaries:
Please follow me on Twitter!
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
More food for thought…
"All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void."
- Marbury v. Madison, 5 U.S. 137, 176
I use these great cards when I travel
Even More Food For Thought
"Men by their constitutions are naturally divided into two parties: 1. Those who fear and distrust the people, and wish to draw all powers from them into the hands of the higher classes. 2. Those who identify themselves with the people, have confidence in them, cherish and consider them as the most honest and safe, although not the most wise depositary of the public interests."
- Thomas Jefferson to Henry Lee, 1824. ME 16:73
Monthly Archives: April 2008
There is a very interesting story at the National Catholic Register about the Holy Father’s brother Msgr. George Ratzinger. My emphases and comments.
When Your Little Brother Is the Pope
Part I of our exclusive interview with the Holy Father’s sole remaining … Continue reading
Thanks to Hallowed Ground we know that:
There will be a Mass on the Vigil of the Ascension at the Church of Our Saviour at 6:00 (Fulfills the Obligation for Ascension Thursday).
There will be a Mass at Our Lady of Good … Continue reading
Here is an interesting perspective from Spero with my emphases and comments.
For the pope, all questions must be entertained
Much of what Pope Benedict XVI said was obscured by the media’s focus on his response to sexual abuse by clerics. The … Continue reading
I am pretty tired right now.
My mind is flat lined.
I read, … oh how I read, … but I wonder what I am absorbing.
I write, but I wonder if anything I write makes sense.
I am mentally pretty … Continue reading
Rev. Wright is speaking at the NAACP meeting in Detroit.
He is an engaging speaker, though not great or profound. I also wasn’t terrible thrilled by his anti-Catholic comments, but… so what’s new, really. Lana caprina… if that isn’t to European … Continue reading
I posted on this issue back on 17 April, but The Tablet has it now.
Church in the World26 April 2008Peru
Cardinal bans Communion in hand
A Peruvian cardinal has banned the practice of receiving Communion in the hand in his diocese to … Continue reading
Here is part of my article for The Wanderer in which I look at a prayer in the Mass for the coming Sunday:
In the ancient Gelasian Sacramentary today’s prayer was the Collect for the Fourth Sunday after the close of … Continue reading
As familiar as I am with some dimensions of blogging, I am rather more unfamiliar with other personal networking technologies.
For example, what is TWITTER, anyway?
I got interested on knowing about this whole twitter thing because of the following CNN story:
Student … Continue reading
If you haven’t seen this from the Archbishop of Los Angeles, His Eminence Roger Card. Mahony in The Tidings. My emphases, no comment:
Published: Friday, April 25, 2008Reflection: The Pope’s Pastoral VisitBy Cardinal Roger M. Mahony
Pope Benedict XVI came as our … Continue reading
The NYT has an article by Peter Steinfels on the Pope’s visit.
My emphases and comments.
April 26, 2008BeliefsPope Benedict and the Lasting Impact of His U.S. TripBy PETER STEINFELS
Pope Benedict XVI has come and gone. To a population that knew little … Continue reading