Search Fr. Z’s Blog
When you shop…... through Amazon, please, come here first? BACK TO SCHOOL SHOPPING? Enter Amazon through my search box. I'll then get a small percentage of everything you buy. (Pssst - Can't see the search box? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
A search box for Amazon UK is at the bottom of the blog.
- You keep this blog, and me, going. I pray for benefactors.
There is a subscription form at the bottom of this page!
Support them with prayer and fasting.
- marcelus said Pope Francis has said that the Christians of Mosul...
- Pie and Palestrina said I live in central Texas. As is usually the case,...
- Jim in Seattle said The FSSP has called for a day of prayer on August...
- SKAY said danube– “It is no exaggeration to say...
- Ben Kenobi said Thanks for extending the invitation, Father Z. I...
- Rachel K said I am very sorry reading this that the new system i...
- Cantor said Don’t sell yourself short here, Father Z. Th...
- acardnal said “Who is coming across? Why? Are there othe...
- Joseph-Mary said Glad to hear this. A much better than the “...
- JesusFreak84 said If I were a Muslim terrorist, I’d be salivat...
- incredulous said Precisely. We were told outright by Nancy Pelosi...
- Gregg the Obscure said I too am in the habit of saying “for these s...
- Konrad said Don’t call for western intervention, it was...
- Pope Francis Prays for Success of Initiative to Convert Anglicans | Fr Stephen Smuts said [...] above heading caught my attention on the ini...
- St Donatus said Thankfully these ecumenical displays have had many...
- MarkG said Most of our local Churches have moved the tabernac...
- catholicgauze said Pope Francis and Cardinal Muller already have work...
- Mandy P. said Really nice video. I’ve recently watched the...
- Rouxfus said I once had a situation where our associate pastor...
- acardnal said Very good video! I compliment CNS on the improvem...
- Priam1184 said @Chon Where is the witness? What are its accompli...
- jpii_rox said That would be 100 years, not 110 :)
- BLB Oregon said Gracie said: “Meanwhile, most parishes strug...
- Uxixu said I think versus populum COULD be done reverently bu...
- Joseph-Mary said I highly recommend the reading of the life and tho...
- CrimsonCatholic said This is going to come to Europe and the US real so...
- danube-bosphorus-moskva said SKAY, have you ever heard of Thomas Jefferson, and...
- Sonshine135 said In 1787, when Benjamin Franklin was asked what typ...
- Gail F said This has only happened to me twice, both from diff...
- Nerinab said As a DOR resident, let me share some context. I m...
My wish lists
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of They people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Help Monks in Wyoming, Fr. Z, and get great coffee too!
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- St. John Paul II
How about Rome in October?
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…... and there will be nearly 1,000,000 page loads this month.
- 22 July: St. Mary Magdalene (and homonymous cookies!)
- Many illegal aliens flooding across border have criminal records
- Fed Court rules Obamacare subsidies ILLEGAL in 36 states!
- Pope Francis prays for success of initiative to convert Anglicans
- World War I – 100 years out
- ISIS targeting Christians: “The West must step in now… or we will be wiped out.”
- Ex ore infantium… perfecisti laudem!
- “Forward!” he cried, showing them the crucifix, “Victory is ours.” – St. Lawrence of Brindisi
- When the priest confessor doesn’t use the proper Form of Absolution. Wherein Fr. Z advises.
- “the very essence of our republic and our reason are being overturned in the public order”
- Bp. Matano (D. Rochester) ends decades illicit practice of “lay preaching”
- Divide et impera: KGB influence on Middle East violence
- What Did the Imam Really Say? Revisited
- Fishwrap: less than enthusiastic about new ITC document on “sensus fidei”.
- Ecumenical consequences of C of E decision on women bishops (aka “wyshyps”)
- WDTPRS 16th Ordinary Sunday: The Enemy is seeking you!
- BACK TO SCHOOL SHOPPERS REPORT 1
- REVIEW: Movie “Persecuted”
- Malaysian Airlines 17, Death and You
- VIDEO Aurora: just… wow
- Are you Middle Aged yet?
- “Thanks for your blog. It saved this seminarian from a particularly mortifying purification.”
- Compare and contrast: VIDEO – 1983 Pres. Reagan about Korean Air 007
- “Are you still there? Did I do something wrong? I need to know…”
- Voice of America on Holy Innocents in Manhattan: a vibrant Catholic community
- UPDATE: 2013 Scalfari Interview now BACK on the Vatican website. Why?
- Great article in FIRST THINGS: Correcting Catholic Blindness. ACTION ITEM!
- 30 A.D. INTERVIEW OF SCALFARIUS WITH JESUS OF NAZARETH
- Thom Peters: Progress 1 year after his life-changing accident
- Pew by Pew: a lesson Christian identity suicide
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
I just bought some candy bars for the chancery staff. Sweeten up someone’s day!
Wyoming Catholic College!
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
I have been giving out these tougher-than-nails, no-nonsense Rosaries:
Please follow me on Twitter!
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
More food for thought…
"All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void."
- Marbury v. Madison, 5 U.S. 137, 176
I use these great cards when I travel
Even More Food For Thought
"Men by their constitutions are naturally divided into two parties: 1. Those who fear and distrust the people, and wish to draw all powers from them into the hands of the higher classes. 2. Those who identify themselves with the people, have confidence in them, cherish and consider them as the most honest and safe, although not the most wise depositary of the public interests."
- Thomas Jefferson to Henry Lee, 1824. ME 16:73
Monthly Archives: April 2008
There is a very interesting story at the National Catholic Register about the Holy Father’s brother Msgr. George Ratzinger. My emphases and comments.
When Your Little Brother Is the Pope
Part I of our exclusive interview with the Holy Father’s sole remaining … Continue reading
Thanks to Hallowed Ground we know that:
There will be a Mass on the Vigil of the Ascension at the Church of Our Saviour at 6:00 (Fulfills the Obligation for Ascension Thursday).
There will be a Mass at Our Lady of Good … Continue reading
Here is an interesting perspective from Spero with my emphases and comments.
For the pope, all questions must be entertained
Much of what Pope Benedict XVI said was obscured by the media’s focus on his response to sexual abuse by clerics. The … Continue reading
I am pretty tired right now.
My mind is flat lined.
I read, … oh how I read, … but I wonder what I am absorbing.
I write, but I wonder if anything I write makes sense.
I am mentally pretty … Continue reading
Rev. Wright is speaking at the NAACP meeting in Detroit.
He is an engaging speaker, though not great or profound. I also wasn’t terrible thrilled by his anti-Catholic comments, but… so what’s new, really. Lana caprina… if that isn’t to European … Continue reading
I posted on this issue back on 17 April, but The Tablet has it now.
Church in the World26 April 2008Peru
Cardinal bans Communion in hand
A Peruvian cardinal has banned the practice of receiving Communion in the hand in his diocese to … Continue reading
Here is part of my article for The Wanderer in which I look at a prayer in the Mass for the coming Sunday:
In the ancient Gelasian Sacramentary today’s prayer was the Collect for the Fourth Sunday after the close of … Continue reading
As familiar as I am with some dimensions of blogging, I am rather more unfamiliar with other personal networking technologies.
For example, what is TWITTER, anyway?
I got interested on knowing about this whole twitter thing because of the following CNN story:
Student … Continue reading
If you haven’t seen this from the Archbishop of Los Angeles, His Eminence Roger Card. Mahony in The Tidings. My emphases, no comment:
Published: Friday, April 25, 2008Reflection: The Pope’s Pastoral VisitBy Cardinal Roger M. Mahony
Pope Benedict XVI came as our … Continue reading
The NYT has an article by Peter Steinfels on the Pope’s visit.
My emphases and comments.
April 26, 2008BeliefsPope Benedict and the Lasting Impact of His U.S. TripBy PETER STEINFELS
Pope Benedict XVI has come and gone. To a population that knew little … Continue reading