Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Click the image below (they took away our search box!). Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's Fr. Z's
"catholic" search for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Blackfriar: I should qualify my earlier remark: when I wrote “ 230; no different to a priest hearing confession using a hearing aid” I was referring to the question of validi...
- LaPucelle: March 22, 2018, Thursday, 6-7:30 pm, Rosary Rally against Fr. Martin’s Lenten talk. In front of the Holy Name Cathedral. Fr. Martin promotes the acceptance of the LGBTQ lifestyle in the...
- Hans: We will be veiling statues in my parish for the first time in anyoneR 17;s memory, though the veils are still being made.
- teomatteo: Age? All I know if I had to carve that by hand-by my self- i’d be really old.
- maternalView: Inside and outside the church everything is dumbed down lest we offend someone. This holds true whether it’s a moral principle or simply a preference . It affects all ages too....
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): I add the Litany of St. Joseph to my Sunday Rosary, for the intention of the Universal Church, whose patron he is. We could really use his help right now.
- Fr Martin Fox: When I have had occasion to hear a confession through the glass, I cautioned the penitent about the uncertaint y over his confession being overheard. I understand law enforcemen t...
- cengime: Why does face-to-fa ce confession require anyone to drive? Just step outside and walk, or cycle, or ride a horse or horse-draw n vehicle to your parish church, just like everybody did in...
- luciavento: This is one of many pieces of Catholic art that I wish I could visit in a church and not a museum. It is beautiful. [Foster the sacred arts.]
- Riddley: Aha, I called this back when the book first came out on Kindle! How I enjoy being right̷ 0; Now that it’s confirmed as being by Henry Sire I will definitely read it. I’...
- mharden: Wow! His “Pho enix from the Ashes̶ 1; is outstandin g. Any idea of how much revision and additions have been done to “Dic tator Pope” ;, for those of us who previou...
- ManOfCarmel: I have been a parishione r of SJC since 2015 – found out about the Latin Mass shortly after reverting back to Faith in 2014. I attend the 7:30 Low Mass and was stunned when the...
- Fallibilissimo: I don’t know if I’m falling prey to Poe’s law of the internet here. I’m fully appreciati ve of the need for society finding solutions to and fighting the effects of glabal warming...
- JonPatrick: All of our statues, images, and crosses were covered, even the little crosses on the flagpoles. After Jesus says in effect “I AM is my name” ; that is calling himself God, he...
- Deacon Ed Peitler: Looking for reverentia l Catholic liturgies? Come to Front Royal, Virginia. You have your choice of St. John the Baptist Church or, if you child is lucky enough to get into...
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father!
- fishonthehill: In a previous parish I used to hear confession s in a “rea l” confession al that had a telephone receiver from the 1950s for the hearing impaired
- pcharbel: All statues and images were covered except St. Joseph. But don’ t get too comfortabl e, Joe — after we celebrate your feast tomorrow, it’l l be time for a little nap.
- Ultrarunner: Except when it would violate attorney-c lient privilege, prison calls, even face to face on a visitor basis, are almost always monitored and recorded. In the 19th century, telegr...
- JustaSinner: So no confession s from the astronauts on the ISS in low Earth orbit?
- roma247: Before everyone vents spleen over this, please, everybody, reflect: IF–a nd this is a very big IF–t his were any sort of move on the part of the Archdioces e intended to harm...
- Carrie: I wouldn’t assume Cardinal Cupich is out to destroy a priest any more than I would assume an accusation against a priest is true— until there is an investigat ion and verdict. And even...
- Fr. Reader: I wonder if the one hiding, editing and changing the words of our Pope Emeritus wants to lie to us only, or he also is lying to himself. I find really difficult to reconcile the service...
- Fr. Reader: @Mike. Not everything should be mixed with that generaliza tion called “Nov us Ordo” ; that is as imaginary as the “Spi rit of the Vatican II”. There are many...
- MotherTeresa: This is infuriatin g. I know nothing of the situation at St. John Cantius, but I am aware of several outrageous ly scandalous situations that were tolerated and ignored by Bishop...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- ACTION ITEM! Pray for important pro-life SCOTUS case! Arguments on 20 March.
- A charming 15th century view of St. Joseph
- My View For Awhile: Northward
- Author of “The Dictator Pope” revealed (officially) and book format now available
- LENTCAzT 2018 34 – Monday – 5th Week of Lent, Passiontide: sin makes you stoopid
- ASK FATHER: Absolution at jail through glass, phone in visitor’s room
- The fruits of dumbing everything down, down, ever down.
- REALLY BAD NEWS from St. John Cantius in Chicago – @SJCantius
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes and Passion Sunday POLL: veils on images
- LENTCAzT 2018 33 – 1st Passion Sunday, 5th of Lent: marked with the light of Thy countenance
- Dumb down liturgy. Great idea, right?
- UPDATE: Even more comes about The Letter™: additional missing text
- FSSP North America Blog
- WDTPRS 5th Sunday of Lent: Undergoing liturgical death
- “Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me,…” The Lorica of St Patrick
- LENTCAzT 2018 32 – Saturday in the 4th Week of Lent: ungenerous, unscrupulous
- UPDATES – More of and about The Letter™ of Benedict XVI on the booklets
- Fr. Stravinskas breaks it down to the essential
- The Three Days of Darkness 2018 are underway in LA!
- STATIONS OF THE CROSS – Audio from Fr. Z
- LENTCAzT 2018 31 – Friday in the 4th Week of Lent: Innocence, Penitence, Priesthood
- ASK FATHER: Blessing objects through plastic wrapper, box, etc.
- UPDATE – JUST TOO COOL! Battle Flag of LEPANTO reproduction available!
- Card. Kasper: homosexual relationships are analogous to marriages
- LENTCAzT 2018 30 – Thursday in the 4th Week of Lent: Priests and confidence
- NEEDFUL BOOKS NOTICE and a maternal CHALLENGE COIN update
- A “digital” Synod?
- LENTCAzT 2018 29 – Wednesday in the 4th Week of Lent: Suicidal Secularization v. The Mass
- My View For Awhile: Maternal Edition
- UK: 29 April 2018 – Rosary on the Coast – London Oratory Trip to Ramsgate
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Daily Archives: 31 May 2008
I got this urgent question by e-mail:
Fr. Z – I am a transitional Deacon preparing for Ordination and First Mass on June 28 and 29 respectively. I would like my friend, who is an installed acolyte and fellow seminarian to … Continue reading
I received this by e-mail from a priest:
Long time reader, first time questioner.
I’ve been celebrating the TLM since Winter ’06.
In my parish, I celebrate the TLM on Tuesdays and Sundays for the faithful. My question … Continue reading
I received word from a close friend, the great Roman, Fabrizio Azzola, who also helps staff the COL Forum, that his latest child, wisely named “John”, has been baptized, the first child to be so brought into the firm embrace … Continue reading
I got this by e-mail. If you have some German, check out this blog!
Dear Fr. Zuhlsdorf,
just wanted to tell you, I liked your "Pope Benedict is changing the conversation" so much, I translated and republished [here].
Keep on your good work!
Mit … Continue reading
Everything is up to date in Kansas City.
They’ve gone just about as far as they can…. with building their beautiful new altars for Old St. Patrick’s Church in downtown KC.
This is the church which H.E. Most Reverend Robert Finn has … Continue reading
The conclusion of the month dedicated to Mary was broadcast, live, this evening from the Piazza of San Pietro.
The Holy Father came at the end and gave a splendid brief reflection.
I got this by e-mail:
Two Masses this Weekend I’m happy to announce that the Extraordinary Form will be available both in Birmingham and in Huntsville this Sunday, June 1.
Bishop David Foley will offer Low Mass in … Continue reading
First things first.
I am very grateful to a couple readers who have enriched my life with new books and … a good thermos!
PP of CA was very kind and found a thermos on my amazon wish list. This … Continue reading
The Liturgical Bee has received a challenge from a waspish, a-liturgical wasp.
This is from KK of KC.
I am reminded of an entry a while back where someone said of another person that s\he was being "waspish". There was a misunderstanding, … Continue reading
From a reader:
Today, during Holy Mass, I went to confession. The priest told me to say my Act of contrition, then he would absolve me. So, as I started to say it, he began to whisper something in Latin. … Continue reading