- If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.
- 2 Chronicles 7:14 RSV
BACK TO SCHOOL SHOPPING?
Please, come here first! Enter Amazon through my search box and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see the search box? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
PS: I added Amazon Search Boxes for the UK and for Canada at the bottom of the blog page. Copy and paste titles I mention into those boxes and - BAZINGA! - results appear as if by magic. Kindle? HERE
US Hardcover - HERE
UK Hardcover - HERE
US Paperback - HERE
UK Paperback - not yet
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
- un-ionized said Er, I didn’t mean stolen, repurposed.
- un-ionized said Robtbrown, that is not how WB makes the big money....
- un-ionized said Skay, loving money more than anything else is rela...
- robtbrown said un-ionized says: GS and WB got their money in simi...
- Ann Malley said @Fr. Fox, I’m sorry to inform you, but famil...
- CJ said Peter Kreeft occasionally teaches a course on C.S....
- Beth said Maybe this recent piece of news offers some food f...
- asburyfox said thomas tucker says: ” I think his stated rea...
- tzard said It appears Pope Emeritus Benedict thought that the...
- SKAY said “GS and WB got their money in similar ways t...
- Fr Martin Fox said I said: “…Well, actually, there’s more. Mr. Trump...
- APX said SSPX priests are learned and devoted to prayer, e...
- Venerator Sti Lot said I wish Nigel Hawthorne had recorded them – t...
- Absit invidia said Just because Pope John Paul II spearheaded World Y...
- Fr. Kelly said I will say for the record that I miss Pope Benedic...
- excalibur said Maybe WYD should have been done away with. For goo...
- Moro said crownvic- I agree completely with what you are say...
- Thomas Sweeney said Perhaps I am just old and cranky, but we do seem t...
- surritter said Inability to travel doesn’t seem to be a goo...
- THREEHEARTS said Actually Father St Peter was told, “Get out...
- Grumpy Beggar said Bryan D. Boyle says: “I look forward with ea...
- ocsousn said Thinking back to my childhood in the 1950’s I reca...
- Y2Y said “I can’t believe he said that! Joseph Ratzin...
- JesusFreak84 said The Focus on the Family dramatization of Screwtape...
- SKAY said “Well, actually, there’s more. Mr. Trump has...
- thomas tucker said Even though he is saying it is because of his inab...
- colospgs said I think the Church did just fine for centuries wit...
- Manducat in the hat said And don’t forget Focus on the Family’s...
- Semper Gumby said Happy travels Fr. Z. acardnal: thanks.
- Semper Gumby said Prayers for the monks, sisters, and all. That Guy...
Without you, there is no blog.
There is a subscription form at the bottom of this page!
Art by D Burkart
- Aedificantium enim unusquisque gladio erat accinctus.
- Nehemiah 4:18
"Where priest and people together face the same way, what we have is a cosmic orientation and also in interpretation of the Eucharist in terms of resurrection and trinitarian theology. Hence it is also an interpretation in terms of parousia, a theology of hope, in which every Mass is an approach to the return of Christ."
Joseph Ratzinger - The Feast of Faith"In those situations where homosexual unions have been legally recognized or have been given the legal status and rights belonging to marriage, clear and emphatic opposition is a duty. ... If all Catholics are obliged to oppose the legal recognition of homosexual unions, Catholic politicians are obliged to do so in a particular way, in keeping with their responsibility as politicians." CDF 2003
Ham Radio Stuff
Fr. Z - W9FRZ - OFF
QRV on: 00m 00000
Check Echolink WB0YLE-R - OFF
"One of the few things in life you can be absolutely sure about is that, if Management tells you it doesn't like your Tone, you are getting something right."
"Latin is a precise, essential language. It will be abandoned, not because it is unsuitable for the new requirements of progress, but because the new men will not be suitable for it. When the age of demagogues and charlatans begins, a language like Latin will no longer be useful, and any oaf will be able to give a speech in public and talk in such a way that he will not be kicked off the stage. The secret to this will consist in the fact that, by making use of words that are general, elusive, and sound good, he will be able to speak for an hour without saying anything. With Latin, this is impossible."
- - Giovanni Guareschi
Support them with prayer and fasting.
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
"We as Catholics have not properly combated (the culture) because we have not been taught our Catholic Faith, especially in the depth needed to address these grave evils of our time. This is a failure of catechesis both of children and young people that has been going on for fifty years. It is being addressed, but it needs much more radical attention... What has also contributed greatly to the situation is an exaltation of the virtue of tolerance which is falsely seen as the virtue which governs all other virtues. In other words, we should tolerate other people in their immoral actions to the extent that we seem also to accept the moral wrong. Tolerance is a virtue, but it is certainly not the principal virtue; the principal virtue is charity... Charity means speaking the truth. I have encountered it (not speaking the truth) many times myself as a priest and bishop. It is something we simply need to address. There is far too much silence — people do not want to talk about it because the topic is not 'politically correct.' But we cannot be silent any longer."
Raymond Card. Burke
Help the Sisters. They have a building project. Get great soap (gifts, etc.) while helping REAL nuns!
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee) and Norcia (beer)!
Some OBLIGATORY reading…
Leave Voice Mail for Fr. Z
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…... and there will be nearly 1,000,000 page loads this month.
A great hymnal…
Find a Quality Realtor. Support the Gospel of Life!
If you, or someone you know, needs to buy or sell a house, office, or any kind of domestic or commercial property anywhere in the world, call Real Estate For Life on 1-877-LIFE-US1. They connect you with an expert agent with a proven track-record from a local franchised broker or strong independent. When the sale is completed, the agent gives a portion of their fee to Real Estate For Life as a referral fee. Real Estate For Life gives 80% of that fee to one of the pro-life organizations they work with: a house with a value of $150,000 means $1000 goes to the pro-life organization. It doesn't cost you anything.
And for your cybersecurity…
Mystic Monk Coffee also has TEA!
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
My wish lists
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- St. John Paul II
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
A morsel for thought…
"If your work is strong enough for someone to hate you, it's strong enough for someone to love you. The middle is what you should fear."
- Sean McCabe @seanwes
- PROXIMA b!
- Screwtape’s letter to Bitterwench
- Benedict explains more about why he abdicated
- Si vis pacem, para bellum. If you want peace, ready war.
- Monstrous Soros spent $650K to tame US bishops
- My View For Awhile: Inertia Edition
- ACTION ITEM: Prayers after Earthquake near Norcia, Italy
- Wherein Fr. Z asks readers to offer the Fishwrap some constructive help
- ASK FATHER: Only half-way decent parish near us is still not good. What to do?
- New scientific study concludes NOT “born that way”
- A proposal for wymynpriests
- PRP: 5th Glorious Mystery: The Coronation of Our Lady
- ASK FATHER: Converts trying to make 1st Confession –
- Detroit’s crafty new tax on churches
- 22 August: Immaculate Heart and Queenship of Mary
- Reader Feedback
- Must. Have. One.
- The USA Solar Eclipse of 2017 – signs in the heavens
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- A blast from the not too distant past
- Pope Francis’ Angelus: “our life is not a video game or a soap opera; our life is serious”
- ASK FATHER: People say Mass prayers together with the priest
- POLL: For whom will you vote in the 2016 Presidential Election?
- WDTPRS – 14th Sunday after Pentecost: healths, hands and the finger
- New art from Daniel Mitsui: The Mass of St Gregory
- WDTPRS – 21st Sunday of Ordinary Time: When “values” replace “virtues”
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- Bp. Zubik (D. Pittburgh): “The No. 1 priority has to be, ‘We need to make our worship better.’”
- Pre-Order Pope Benedict’s new book – Last Testament: in his own words
- 14 Sept – Solemn Mass in the Bronx!
For your consideration…
"One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting."
- C.S. Lewis
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Please follow me on Twitter!
- "It will never be known what acts of cowardice have been committed for fear of not looking sufficiently progressive."
Charles Pierre Péguy Notre Patrie, 1905"If I ought to write the truth, I am of the mind that I ought to flee all meetings of bishops, because I have never seen any happy or satisfactory outcome to any council, nor one that has deterred evils more than it has occasioned their acceptance and growth."
St. Gregory Nazianzus ep. 131 - AD 382“We will conquer your Rome, break your crosses, and enslave your women. If we do not reach that time, then our children and grandchildren will reach it, and they will sell your sons as slaves at the slave market.”
Reading and gift ideas!
Monthly Archives: May 2008
Holy Church doesn’t promulgate laws about censures simply for the heck of it. There is long experience behind censures. Laws have theological grounding. The tougher censures are applied when the matter concerns something closer to the heart of who and … Continue reading
Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith General DecreeOn the delict of attempted sacred ordination of a woman The Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, in virtue of the special faculty granted to it by the Supreme Authority of … Continue reading
Taking a hint from a recent entry, this is in from our WDTPRS photoshoper Vincenzo:
Spring at the Sabine Farm seems at last to be in full swing, though the nights are still very chilly indeed. The Red Bellied Woodpecker is getting some high nutrition snacks from the suet cage. Yum. This is not the … Continue reading
People often use the word "schism" to describe the irregular situation of the bishops and priests of the SSPX. They have reason to. In his 1988 Motu Proprio Ecclesia Dei adflicta, Pope John Paul II used the word "schism". Today, … Continue reading
I received this question from a priest: Dear Father Z. A priest friend of mine, who started saying the TLM about 10 years ago, with the old Bishops permission called me this morning. He asked me if Cardinal Hoyos had said … Continue reading
This note has come in: SALINAS — After an absence of forty years, the Traditional Latin Mass according to the Roman Missal of 1962 returns to Mission San Juan Bautista on the Feast Day of Saints Peter and Paul, Sunday, … Continue reading
I am mourning the loss of the KC church signs blog. Pretty fun, creative stuff.
Take this onto the streets! At least that is what one priest is doing. I got this from a reader: You have mentioned my pastor, Rev. Fr. Gerard Saguto, FSSP, a couple of times on WDTPRS: here and here. Fr. … Continue reading
Many thanks to those of you who wished me well for my anniversary of ordination (26 May) posted in comments and sent by e-mail. A couple of you used the donation button, for which I am grateful, and and one … Continue reading
Remember the Potato Head Puppet Mass perpetrated by Call To Action in California? Go here, but not on full stomach. And to think a bishop was involved. BUT WAIT! THERE’s MORE! I had mentioned in that entry about the Call … Continue reading
Over time I have developed some ideas which guide most of what I post here regarding liturgy, liturgical translation, use of the older form of Mass, etc. Let’s review some of the aphorisms and basic starting points I use here … Continue reading
Quantum potes tantum aude This is a line in the sequence Lauda Sion, composed by St. Thomas Aquinas for the Feast of Corpus Christi. “However so much as you are capable of doing, dare to do that much.” More smoothly, … Continue reading
This is in from CWN. I think it is interesting in light of discussion on this blog about Catholics seeking out the Orthodox in times of serious spiritual necessity and how that might be a model for how we think … Continue reading
… down time.