Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- chantgirl: This sounds like an uncharitab le caricature of Catholics who really believe what Catholics are supposed to believe. “Thi s sectarian tendency to maximize whatever is settled by...
- Ave Maria: Jn 8:  Then Jesus said to those Jews, who believed him: If you continue in my word, you shall be my disciples indeed.  And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you...
- PTK_70: If you acknowledg e “bib liolatry 8221; as a thing, and a condemnabl e thing at that, then you probably understand His Holiness. In other words, what teachermom 24 said. How about...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): teachermom 24 says: Having come into the Catholic Church out of a Protestant denominati on where truth (or their version of being right) was an idol, this makes sense to me....
- Toan: Another way truth can become an idol is when our time analyzing truth (including separating orthodoxy from heterodoxy , and heck, reading blogs) starts to damage our relationsh ip with God by...
- Sawyer: A charitable reading of the pope might propose that what he means is something along the lines of Aquinas 217; propositio n that we cannot know what God is, only what God is not; yet...
- Mike: A way to undo the knot of Pope Francis’ words about “truth idols” Those who live in Truth don’ t need to tie words into knots, any more than Our Lord (Who is Truth) did when He was on...
- WVC: I offer this not as a comment on anyone (including the Pope’ ;s) intelligen ce, but as a possible source of confusion. How many folks have personal experience dealing with Argentinia ns?...
- MrsMacD: Truth could not be an idol. False truth could be an idol. God is Truth. “The truth shall set you free.̶ 1; The modernist might like to frame truth as an idol to distract from all...
- Suburbanbanshee: I forgot to say that the worst cases of false zeal are from people who are actually idolizing themselves , and have their idol threatened . They cover up unholy envy with a false...
- ususantiquor: Father, Compare this from the Cardinal Archbishop of Newark at the pro-Franci s gathering at Villanova last week (from the Catholic Herald): “the Newark archbishop took aim at those...
- Suburbanbanshee: Weeeeeell, I think this is misdiagnos is. Usually when people get weird about pushing orthodoxy down other peopleR 17;s throats (and I speak from personal experience of mysel...
- jaykay: SG: oh no, not being sceptical really – to Tracer, many (if not all, that being proper to the Deity) things are possible! I just wondered whether one could in fact fly Rome-Londo n...
- DeGaulle: JabbaPapa, your interpreta tion may well be right and I hope it is, but I’m afraid that my initial reaction to this statement was to attribute the Sixth Commandmen t to possi...
- teachermom24: Having come into the Catholic Church out of a Protestant denominati on where truth (or their version of being right) was an idol, this makes sense to me. I see the dangers and tempt...
- The Masked Chicken: There is a line in the movie, Airplane, where a hipster is on the plane speaking apparent jibberish and an older older woman stops the stewardess and says, “It okay. I...
- Philippe Martin: I agree that CongarR 17;s theologica l ideas and expectatio ns, are – out of a direct or indirect exposition , who knows? – very much in Francis 217; mind....
- JabbaPapa: We must be careful not to fall into the temptation of making idols of certain abstract truths. They can be comfortabl e idols, always within easy reach; they offer a certain prestige and...
- SimonK: Imagine a person who loves reading theology books, but who doesn̵ 7;t love his neighbour. Whose faith is all in his head, and not at all in his heart. Who would rather read a theol...
- Nan: Most of the snow has melted. Spring adult education starts next week, for the month of May. I have the Catechism, the Ukrainian one because we don’ t have our own. quo vado, more prayers...
- stephen c: Chasjwd – Chesterton was right about a lot of things and wrong about a lot of things. He was wrong about heresy always being an exaggerati on of truth. Some heresies were just...
- stephen c: This has been one of the best threads I have ever read on the internet … My good news is not so personal, except insofar as prayers for those we have never met are personal (I hope...
- GrumpyYoungMan: LarryW2LJ, I’m dealing with the same issues – why not just be clear??? The lack of clarity makes it easy for one to (uncharita bly?) assume that the goal is to “...
- Charles E Flynn: The Roman Catechism, also known as The Catechism of the Council of Trent, is once again available from Baronius Press: https://ww w.baronius press.com/ book.php?w id=56&a...
- JustaSinner: Going home to see my family.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- 25 April – St. Mark and Major Rogation Day
- A way to undo the knot of Pope Francis’ words about “truth idols”?
- Know the truth and the truth will make you … an idolator?
- Your Good News
- “the worthy deeds and prayers of thy blessed martyr George”
- WDTPRS 3rd Sunday after Easter (TLM): Be distinguished by your profession of Christ!
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Felix Natalis Dies Roma!
- My View For Awhile: Mezzogiorno Edition
- 20 April 2007 – Msgr. Richard Schuler – RIP
- 19 April 2005: Benedict XVI elected
- “And Paul VI wept”. More fascinating notes about the Pope and the liturgical reform.
- Wherein Fr. Z rants about the Church as “field hospital”. Brutal horror, heroic wonder.
- WDTPRS: 4th Sunday of Easter (2002MR) – Mighty humble Shepherd, humble mighty flock
- HUGE Fr. Z kudos to a reader who wrote to bishops about the important Apostolic Pardon
- My View For A While: Mystery City
- Connection of home-schooling and entering seminary
- ASK FATHER: “My 4 year old insists on praying in Latin.” Latin resources for young children?
- A bishop, black vestments and refreshing commonsense!
- ASK FATHER: Priest Mumbles Words of Absolution. Fr. Z says: FATHERS! Stop being JACKASSES and do it right!
- Shamefaced self-promotion with warm thanks to benefactors
- “If it’s just a symbol, then to hell with it!” Wherein a Lutheran tells it as it is and then Fr. Z rants a lot.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – Good Shepherd – AUDIO
- ASK FATHER: Communion twice in a day. But is Communion under both species already twice?
- ASK FATHER: Catholic betrothal rite, ceremony
- WDTPRS – 2nd Sunday after Easter (TLM): joy, devastation and rising
- BOOKS RECEIVED: Two VERY different DAUGHTERS!
- I’ve decided. I’m for arming teachers and the Rule of Law
- Fr. Murray and Prof. Royal opine on latest developments
- 28 April – PONTIFICAL TLM at Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Monthly Archives: May 2008
I received a question from a reader…. a very long, convoluted question (please keep them short or I just can’t wade through them), and so I edited it:
Dear Fr. Z, In my home parish we are trying to get some … Continue reading
Prayer for Priests
Lord Jesus, present in the Most Blessed Sacrament,and living perpetually among us through Your Priests,grant that the words of Your Priests may be only Your words,that their gestures be only Your gestures,and that their lives be a true … Continue reading
Vatican Congregation for the Clergy Theme for World Day of Prayer for the Sanctification of Priests May 30, 2008 by Cardinal Claudio Hummes
Reverend and dear Brothers in the Priesthood, On the Feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus let us fix the … Continue reading
DECREE ON CELEBRATION OF THE CONVERSION OF ST. PAUL
VATICAN CITY, 30 MAY 2008 (VIS) – The Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments today published a decree authorising the celebration, on 25 January 2009, of Mass for … Continue reading
I’ll begin putting up some images. Comments to follow.
Let it be said that I am grateful grateful grateful that they simply broadcast the live feed, without commentary over it!
Thank you EWTN. Thank you!
First, I don’t think … Continue reading
Holy Church doesn’t promulgate laws about censures simply for the heck of it. There is long experience behind censures. Laws have theological grounding.
The tougher censures are applied when the matter concerns something closer to the heart of who and what … Continue reading
Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith
General DecreeOn the delict of attempted sacred ordination of a woman
The Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, in virtue of the special faculty granted to it by the Supreme Authority of the Church … Continue reading
Taking a hint from a recent entry, this is in from our WDTPRS photoshoper Vincenzo:
Spring at the Sabine Farm seems at last to be in full swing, though the nights are still very chilly indeed.
The Red Bellied Woodpecker is getting some high nutrition snacks from the suet cage.
… Continue reading
People often use the word "schism" to describe the irregular situation of the bishops and priests of the SSPX. They have reason to. In his 1988 Motu Proprio Ecclesia Dei adflicta, Pope John Paul II used the word "schism".
Today, … Continue reading