HAM RADIO W9FRZ STATUS
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
I had to change the way that people go to amazon to buy things because... you know... why make it easy?. So, just click the link below. Once you're in, you're good to shop.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- pascal788: Why do you need to show you are a man? Ain’ t it obvious?
- pascal788: Why do you need to show you are a man? Ain’ t it obvious?
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): I can’t remember where or when exactly, but I once read a story of a priest who discovered his vocation by means of a beard. As a little boy, he saw a Capuchin with a big,...
- roma247: hmmm… ;am I being obtuse to notice that Cardinal Cupich is the only one who is not vested in one of the matching chasubles? I mean, I’m guessing he was the only Cardinal there,...
- Gregg the Obscure: well, i’ve not been ordained and i very much doubt that i ever would be, but i have worn a beard for 26 years and a bit more than 4 months this time. had one a few other...
- trespinos: I have favored the modern customary usage in the USA of leaving clerical beards to the monks and Capuchins and such like, but if younger diocesan priests have a good reason for tossing...
- youngcatholicgirl: Chris Garton-Zav esky says: “I understand from canons of the Institute of Christ the King that the beard is worn in Africa, where it is a sign of wisdom and authority, but...
- acardnal: Readers please note: a seventh candle was lit and added to the altar mensa and placed in front of the crucifix to note the Mass is being celebrated by the bishop.
- Semper Gumby: “Don ’t dip your beard in the foam, Father! 221; They cried to Thorin. “It is long enough without watering it!”
- Semper Gumby: Good lyrics. There̵ 7;s a rumor going around that the Official Paradohymn odist is re-writing “Okl ahoma̶ 1; as “Met anoia.R 21; Zuhlio: Try a tank of helium....
- Chris in Maryland 2: Cajunpower : Grein does give details that can be verified easily – for example: he says he was in Wisconsin because he was stationed there in the Navy, at age 19. There...
- Dad of Six: Prayers said for the Bishop! I note that the Deacon has a nicely trimmed beard.
- TonyO: There is something inherently natural about wearing a beard, as it certainly denotes a boy coming into his manhood. It is, however, at best a tertiary sign thereof, and thus neither absol...
- Semper Gumby: Hidden One: Have a closer look. Cheers.
- Chris Garton-Zavesky: I understand from canons of the Institute of Christ the King that the beard is worn in Africa, where it is a sign of wisdom and authority, but that the canons who return to...
- Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda: Two of the best local priests I know have beards. The first has a massive devotion to St. Padre Pio. The second followed suit. I think there is also an intentiona l and...
- Kathleen10: Mario Bird, I like that. There is nothing worse than a fussy looking cleric. One looks askance at any hairdo suggesting a bit too much time and attention has been given, hair should...
- davidpaulyoung: Sicut unguentum in capite, quod descendit in barbam, barbam Aaron̷ 0; Ps 132:2
- Supertradmum: The Astronomer , You post is interestin g and useful. However, the informatio n you shared underlines my view of Fr. MartinR 17;s eccentrici ty. Enough said.
- Hidden One: Semper Gumby, I believe you have conflated the presently common notion of a ‘sci ence’ ; with the more ancient notion of science 211;perhap s I should write ‘...
- Mario Bird: AMLETH To beard, or not to beard: this is the quest. Whether tis nobler on the face to sport An ever-growi ng mass of tousled twine, Changing color as age doth wax and wane; Or yet whet...
- Deacon Nicholas: Orthodox (and bearded) deacon here. Also saw service in the Coast Guard before it banned beards in 1986. For years I’ve heard a quotation attributed to St. Athanasius (or...
- de_cupertino: the unseemly garment 230; Seriously though, failing to uphold the ChurchR 17;s moral teaching and the sanctity of life does seem to go hand-in-ha nd with personal depravity.
- MGL: One factoid was that, in one stream of “Alt-Right ” the length of a beard is perceived even to exonerate a man from more and more moral norms, depending on its length. LOL. I suspect this is...
- rcg: “…au stere and despised.” I like that. There is a sign in the Black Rifle Coffe Company that says, “They Don’t Like Us. We Don’t Care.” I need that sign and a Beard. [Shades of Millwal...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- The TMSM welcomes Bp. Hying to @MadisonDiocese – UPDATED
- Aftermath: the modernist star-trek altar from Notre-Dame de Paris
- Clerical beards.
- PARODY SONG ALERT: Amazoniana Synod
- Shades of Windswept House – UPDATED with a new interview about the late Card. Bernardin
- Earthquake at near Rome – 20:43:47 (UTC) Magnitude 3.4 at a depth of 5 KM – @ Colonna, Italy
- VIDEO Fr @GeraldMurray8 and Dr @RobertSRoyal analyze hot-button issues
- ASK FATHER: Can I really fulfill my Mass obligation at an SSPX chapel?
- Concerning the upcoming Synod, Germans and Tapirs
- ACTION ITEM: How you can help defend the Seal of Confession in California
- “This ‘Communion in the hand’ thing needs to stop.”
- #ActonU 2019 Day 4: Great people… great content
- Archd. of Indianapolis says Jesuit school isn’t Catholic
- #ActonU 2019 Day 1 = Day 3: getting up to speed
- ASK FATHER: Do we receive also the Holy Spirit in Communion?
- ASK FATHER: Obligation to attend the local parish instead of going somewhere else
- Online Shopping Reminder and BIRETTA PROJECT
- Blistering NRO piece flames the recent USCCB meeting
- ASK FATHER: Trying to translate prayers into Latin, but I don’t trust Google
- Lib ‘c’atholic outcry in … 3… 2… 1
- 15-18 July 2019: East Coast Priest Conference in Wheeling, WV – looks good!
- Fr Rosica, amazing papal claims, and resignations
- Priest apologizes to traditional Catholics: “The future of the Church is in her past.”
- ASK FATHER: Is a concelebrated Mass just one Mass or several Masses?
- NOVENA FOR SEMINARIANS – from Corpus Christi to Sacred Heart, with a Marian Consecration
- A Solemn Mass in Albany in the presence of the bishop. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Thoughts about the change to CCC 2267 on the death penalty
- Chilean priest’s episcopal consecration axed because of some comments
- Canonist Ed Peters eviscerates bishops – one in particular – who won’t apply law
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Daily Archives: 26 August 2008
This is in the Archdiocese of San Francisco’s newspaper: Pelosi’s nationally aired abortion comments "disgraceful’, "incompetent", "incredible" USCCB corrects House Speaker’s views as "misleading" and outdated By Rick DelVecchio Catholic and conservative commentators reacted with outrage and disbelief to House … Continue reading
Consider that the USCCB the Cardinal Archbishop of New YorkCardinal Archbishop of PhiladelphiaArchbishop of Washington DCArchbishop of Denver all issued statements to correct and redress the falsehoods about Catholic doctrine on the beginning of human life stated on network television … Continue reading
Speaker Pelosi is deep in it now. I am still looking for a link, but Amy reports that Brendan Daly, Nancy Pelosi’s spokesman issued a statement about her remarks on Meet The Press: “The Speaker is the mother of … Continue reading
Here is something just perfect to relieve the pressure of this day’s controversies. For the chant jock in your life This series and more available at The CantemusDomino Store. And when wearing this, be sure to have a coffee mug … Continue reading
Here is something from Politico: August 26, 2008Categories: LeadershipPelosi a ‘religious heretic,’ says former GOP Rep. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) is a “religious heretic” for suggesting that there is disagreement within the Catholic Church over the definition of conception, … Continue reading
The ancient Greeks depicted Kairos, son of Zeus and the god of Opportunity, as as a young man with long hair streaming from his forehead but with shaved head behind. The idea is that Opportunity can only be seized when … Continue reading
This is in from FoxNews: Archbishop of Washington Chides Pelosi; Denver Archbishop Warns Biden to Skip Communion by FOXNews.com Tuesday, August 26, 2008 By Bill Sammon Irked by pro-choice Democrats who tout their Catholicism, the archbishop of Washington is chiding … Continue reading
Republicans in the US House of Representatives have reacted to Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) and her remarks to Tom Brokaw on Meet The Press. I got this from Ed Morrissey at Hot Air: Catholic House Republicans respond to Pelosi’s abortion … Continue reading
What do the American bishops have to say as a body about Speak Pelosi’s remarks? Bishops respond to House Speaker Pelosi’s misrepresentation of Church teaching against abortion WASHINGTON–Cardinal Justin F. Rigali, chairman of the U.S. Bishops’ Committee on Pro-Life Activities, … Continue reading
His Excellency Donald W. Wuerl responds to Speaker Pelosi: Archbishop Wuerl on the Church’s Constant Teaching on Abortion August 25, 2008 The following statement is from Washington Archbishop Donald W. Wuerl: On Meet the Press this past Sunday, August 23, … Continue reading
His Eminence Edward Card. Egan of New York has issued a press release in response to Speak Nancy Pelosi’s (D-CA) remarks on Meet The Press last Sunday. Let’s look with my emphases and comments. Statement on Remarks by Speaker Pelosi … Continue reading
In your handy copy of the 2004 Martyrologium Romanum you find that today is the … well… read it yourself: 1. Commemoratio sancti Melchisedech, regis Salem et sacerdotis Dei Altissimi, qui Abraham benedicens salutavit a victoria regressum, Domino sanctum sacrificum, … Continue reading