Sermon: 22nd Sunday of Ordinary Time (2002MR)

I had the honor today to say Holy Mass (Novus Ordo) for the 22nd Sunday of Ordinary Time at the Church of St. John in St. Paul, Minnesota, where my friend of many years Fr. Geo. Welzbacher is the parish priest.  His Pastor’s Page each week is just about the only one I have ever seen on a weekly basis worthy of both the name and of close attention.

Mass at St. John’s is in English with the Novus Ordo, and versus populum, but reverently served by altar boys and there is a communion rail at which 99% percent of the people kneel and receive upon the tongue.

In any event, with not terrible long notice, I did manage to gasp out a sermon today since it was Sunday and, well, people expect that sort of thing on Sunday’s.

[podcast_display]

Another resource.

This entry was posted in Sermons, SESSIUNCULA. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Sermon: 22nd Sunday of Ordinary Time (2002MR)

1. rj57 says:

Excellent sermon, Father. Thank you.

Who is there to harm you if you prove zealous for what is good? But even if you should suffer for the sake of righteousness, you are blessed AND DO NOT FEAR THEIR INTIMIDATION, AND DO NOT BE TROUBLED, but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence; and keep a good conscience so that in the thing in which you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ will be put to shame. For it is better, if God should will it so, that you suffer for doing what is right rather than for doing what is wrong.
    1 Peter 3:13-17

2. PaulK says:

Long time reader Fr. Z, first time poster.

Absolutely amazing sermon. I wasn’t sure where you were taking things until around the 10:00 mark, then it all came together nicely. That line from 1 Peter is so seldom used on the pulpit. I wish we had preaching like that up here in Canada…

3. Anne says:

I enjoyed reading the previous posts. Thank you both.

Father, you explained the position of the Holy Catholic Church with faith, reason, love and AUTHORITY. Enough with the PC nonsense. Fire in your bones – loved it – great crescendo in the middle. I got a kick out of how often you used the word Catholic. The ‘agents’ must have been fuming. I’m glad we’re going to have more of these sermons.

My parish Priest also gave a sermon on abortion on Sunday. His approach was more direct but effective. He explained the topic beforehand while hastily adding that it wasn’t political. Our Priest actually repeated three times, that it wasn’t political, and in a somewhat anxious manner. God bless us all. It was a surreal experience. We must continue to pray hard for our Bishops and Priests because they’re in the front line and under heavy fire.

Democracy has almost gone in this country and Obama will finish it. I have a healthy fear of this man and it’s not totally about his stance on abortion though it’s a big factor. I grew up in Europe and when I visit I see the changes. My family can’t because it happens so insidiously that they automatically adjust, yet at the same time it seems to have happened overnight. There are some who know what’s going on and they’re doing their bit.

Thanks again Father I really appreciated it.

I hope we can have some more threads on Sarah Palin where we can have a discussion which stays on the issues and not get railroaded into their personal life.

Now I’m off to post a blog link promoting pro-lifer Sarah Palin on an Obama pro-abortion blog.

4. Anne: Thanks for that nice comment! It was welcome today.

5. Jeff Pinyan says:

Superb homily, Father. God thanks you!

6. Anne says:

Fire in your bones – Jeremiah. :) The agents know our weak spots Father, they used to read the same Books therefore know how to silence us. They don’t practice the True Holy Roman Catholic faith which is why they’re thoroughly miserable angry individuals. They make Jesus Christ into their own image and then become god. Bow down and conform else we’ll report you. Unbelievable, but I’ve seen it go down that way. God help us.

They need to listen to your sermon Father, and what’s hanging on their mental hooks. I hadn’t thought of a ‘catechistic’ type mental hygiene checkup before but it makes sense. I did a quick check and I’m still a Catholic. Whew! Imagine doing it one day and at the first hook you realized you were a Calvinist – Ooops, wrong Church. One can dream…and pray.

I pray for the Holy Father, our Bishops and Priests.

Our Priests are in the frontline and under heavy fire.

Jesus Mercy, Mary Help.

7. Anne says:

Didn\’t finish it….
    One can dream…and pray….that they get to practice their distorted religion outside the Catholic Church. They\’re poison for the flock.

Vacation over – now back to work. Some people learn from the written word but I do better with audio plus I can use it during the day. I\’m looking forward to listening to your other podcasts as well. It\’ll keep me busy and not posting on WDTPRS too much but I\’ll be reading it. I lapsed a while back and it\’s Priests like you who brought me back. Thank you so much. Wonderful blog and great evangelizing.

God Bless,

Anne

Respect, support and pray for our Priests.

8. Lindsay says:

Thank you for re-posting since I didn’t listen earlier in the week. It sounds like it was a good day for homilies. Our priest told us about Blessed Clemens August Graf von Galen and his fight for the sanctity of life in Nazi Germany. We had not heard of him prior, but his story is quite inspirational in light of recent politics (especially for us given its personal nature in the home state of Senator Biden!).

We are expecting our third any day now, and we were so inspired by this homily, we have considered changing our “boy” name to Clemens (or Clement) August.

Praise God for our priests who continue to inspire us to fight the fight.

9. Immaculatae says:

WOW. listened to this again today and it hits the spot. Downloaded it now. The battle continues!