11 Oct: Blessed John XXIII

BTW… today at the Vatican Basilica it is the feast of Bl. John XXIII.

Today is also the 46th anniversary of the opening of the Second Vatican Council.

This entry was posted in SESSIUNCULA. Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to 11 Oct: Blessed John XXIII

1. Geoffrey says:

Did Blessed John XXIII die on this day, or is it his feast day because he opened the Second Vatican Council on this day?

2. TNCath says:

Just wondering if any of the people in that picture are still living, especially the priests to the far right of the picture (to John XXIII’s left).

3. That man on the far right- does anyone know to what guard he belongs? I’ve seen his uniform elsewhere, and I remember reading somewhere that Pope Paul VI (I believe) abolished two branches of the Holy See’s corps of soldiers.

On a side note, the helmet kind of reminds me of the Elves’ helmets in the prologue to Jackson’s FOTR.

4. Geoffrey says:

That is the Pontifical Noble Guard, made up of Roman or Papal Nobility.

5. Thomas says:

Blessed John XXIII wearing the tiara, fanon, and episcopal gloves?!?!

Next you’ll tell me he only offered the Tridentine Mass!

6. A Random Friar says:

Pope Blessed John XXIII died on 3 June 1963. I believe this date was chosen to commemorate his work for the Council.

7. Howard says:

I wish Popes would go back to wearing the triple tiara and use a crosier that looks like it derives from a shepherd’s staff.

8. dominic1962 says:

The triple cross staff would be better.

9. dcs says:

The Noble Guard and the Palatine Guard were both abolished by Paul VI.

I believe the Noble Guard was only open to members of the Black Nobility (those who supported the Papacy after the unification of Italy).

10. Geoffrey says:

I hate writing long comments, but here are some citations regarding the Pontifical Noble Guard:

“The Noble Guard was a bodyguard of gentlemen established in 1801, of which a detachment was on duty whenever the pope attended a public function. The commandant was always a Roman prince, decorated with the Order of Christ, and every member had to be of a family which had borne 16 quarterings of nobility for not less than 60 years and had to have a certain income and stature, as well as unimpeachable health and character. Their uniform was ordinarily a cuirasser’s helmet with plume, tunic and belts, trousers and saber, but on special occasions a bearskin, white breeches and top boots were worn” (Cf. A Catholic Dictionary, Donald Attwater, 1958).

“From 1485 to today, the designation of the Corps I was honoured to command changed repeatedly in keeping with the requisites of the age and customs of the times: Light Horse Guard, Knights of Our Lord’s Guard, Knights of the Faith, ‘Lance Spezzate’ (Broken Lances Guard), Noble Guard of the Body of His Holiness, and Honor Guard of His Holiness. What never changed was the unbroken tradition of fidelity to the Pope which, over centuries, was sealed in blood and with prison” (Prince Mario del Drago, the last Commandant of the Noble Guard, surrendering the colours of the Corps to the Vatican Secretary of State on 14 November 1970).

You can see them in the films “Scarlet and the Black” and “Shoes of the Fisherman”. Their ceremonial duties have since been taken over by the Swiss Guard.

11. Father Anonymous says:

Not exactly an anniversary day I feel like opening the champagne on.

12. Aine says:

Father Anonymous – I must agree.

13. Wait says:

Me, too!

14. Gio says:

I think the Palatine Guards, though officially abolised, exist in some form to this day.

15. Am I the only one that interprets Father Anonymous’ and Aine’s comments in a way that they are expressing doubt of whether the 21st ecumenical council was being lead by the Holy Spirit? And am I the only one that find that a little problematic? This attitude is the only thing I have against Traditional Catholicism.

16. pjo says:

Since 11 Oct 2008 we have new priest in Poland!

Fr. Grzegorz Sniadoch IBP

here is (then) deacon Sniadoch giving Holy Communnion in Vratislavia (Wroc?aw)

Te Deum!

17. dcs says:

I don’t interpret them in that way, but then I don’t think the Church teaches that general councils are lead (as opposed to protected) by the Holy Ghost. No less an authority than then-Cardinal Ratzinger stated, in reference to the general councils of the Church, “in the last analysis many of them have been just a waste of time.” That could hardly be the case if they were actually lead by the Holy Ghost.

But I suppose this is really a rabbit hole that Fr. Z. would not approve of going down.

18. Woody Jones says:

As I understand it, the Trad argument is that the Council never invoked the protection of the Holy Spirit; I am not sure whether this is said to be because such was never explicitly done, or whether because by declining to speak definitively/infallibly, the guarantee of the Holy Spirit’s protection from error was not there as it was not needed.

I am not in a position to have a view on this; I merely state what I think is said by others.

19. Gustav Ahlman, relax. That’s not what Father Anonymous said.

Don’t read into something that is not there.

20. Gustav Ahlman: Keep in mind that a theologian named Joseph also wrote once that it would have been better has some Council not been held. That doesn’t call into question those Councils. It doesn’t call into question the right of a Church to hold a Council. All it does is indicate that we don’t have to be thrilled with every Council.

21. I’m tired of people painting John XXIII as a liberal. He wasn’t.

22. NY Priest says:

He died on June 3rd – now the feast of St. Charles Lwanga and Companions.
    October 11th is the 2nd Class Feast of Mary Mother of God on the Traditional Calendar.
    If the blessed in heaven could be unhappy, Bl. John XXIII would certainly be so that a feast in his honor has replaced that of our Lady!

23. Mairead says:

Father anonymous.
    You could open the champagne for me and my husband as we celebrated our 28th wedding anniversary on 11th Oct.