HAM RADIO W9FRZ STATUS
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
I had to change the way that people go to amazon to buy things because... you know... why make it easy?. So, just click the link below. Once you're in, you're good to shop.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
Fr. Z’s Blog is a Founding Member of…
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): I have one of these crucifixes . It was one of the last gifts my grandmothe r gave me before her death when I was six. She selected it because it most resembled her own,...
- SanSan: I have our familyR 21;sick call” ; crucifix hanging in our kitchen with palms from palm Sunday behind it. So happy it wasn’ ;t lost or discarded.
- Liz: https://ww w.youtube. com/watch? v=FRw-N1z0 bwM&fe ature=yout u.be&f bclid=IwAR 1PzRw3e_pA m8BZV5o6C9 pwqDkVS0jm ogbDatlHSr bW4ibvbjCh APfS-iY
- Liz: Supertradm om, we will add you to our rosaries and I will offer my mass and Holy Communion for you today, for the grace of a happy death. St. Joseph, pray for us!
- Tina in Ashburn: I never liked grits until I discovered that I had only had BAD grits. Never eat them cold or not freshly made. Grits made correctly are very very close to polenta. Gritty, not...
- Tina in Ashburn: SuperTradM um, teary-eyed to hear your news, fellow commenter. Golly. Prayers and offering up of my sufferings for you. Trust in Jesus no matter what the temptation s are.
- Semper Gumby: This is interestin g, it’s Day 3 of the Great Grit Debate and two hardy readers have pitched their Grit Tent in the Sick-Call Sets post. I gotta admit, ArthurH 217;s first...
- Rob in Maine: We had one around when I? was growing up. When my brother went to college (Stonehill in Massachuse tts) he used to it hide his money.
- Makemeaspark: Praying.
- tho: I know that I harp on this subject, maybe a little too much, but Extreme Unction has a distinct resonance, that Anointing of The Sick doesn̵ 7;t have. After all, everyone has bouts of...
- TonyO: Praying.
- TonyO: Of course there is nothing wrong with preaching on charity to our neighbors – it’s the subject of the Second Great Commandmen t, after all. And the foundation of satisfying the...
- Pearl: A sick call set is our standard wedding gift – whether the couple is married in the Church or not. Usually, the one we give is a little fancier. We have my in-lawR 17;s sick call...
- ArthurH: Never tries sweet grits: Sounds tsaty-deca dent! When I have them, grits with an egg-over-e asy or two on top is my more common version for breakfast, with, of course, some bacon, and...
- HvonBlumenthal: The board game is clearly something to do with the Imperial postal system which was operated by the Thurn und Taxis family. We have yellow postboxes thanks to them, and the flag of...
- hwriggles4: Speaking of southern breakfast cooking (grits are a staple at Waffle House), it wasn’ ;t until about 2004 I noticed on an east coast trip that Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast for...
- Legisperitus: The way to do grits is cheese grits. The grits provide texture, the cheese flavor.
- Suudy: You are still doing grits wrong! A little brown sugar, and let the sugar and molasses melt, then some milk over the top. Heavenly breakfast fare. I reserve the cheese and grits or butter on...
- Mariana2: I had been wondering if we would ever hear from dear Supertradm um again. Very sorry to read this, but daily chaplets of the Divine Mercy coming up from today.
- ArthurH: We have “Ano inting of the sick” ; every first Tuesday at both morning and evening Masses. As an extreme outlier survivor of a bone marrow cancer, I am well past my expec...
- Semper Gumby: Benedictus : Thank you for the CWR article on the Living Martyr of Albania. You raise a good point about “syr upy sermons, 8221; though no doubt you are aware of the richn...
- Bryan D. Boyle: I offer the remaining 8 days of the novena I’m celebratin g to Good St Anne for your intention, Supertradm om.
- Kent Wendler: I ask for this sacrament before I have any medical procedure which requires general anesthesia . My understand ing is that the benefit is not time dependent, that it is not necess...
- oldCatholigirl: Praying for Supertradm um and her son.
- philothea.distracted: Oh, I remember Supertradm um! I will pray!
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- ASK FATHER: Traditional “Supplied rites” after emergency or modern rite baptism
- Sick-Call Sets and You
- Day 2 – St. Paul Center Priesthood Conference
- 17 July 1794: “Mother, permission to die?”
- URGENT ACTION ITEM: Note from long-time reader who is dying
- 16 July 1969 – #Apollo11 and Our Lady of Mt Carmel
- Day 1 – St. Paul Center Priesthood Conference
- Mark Shea is sad because seminarians are Catholic
- Amazon Prime Day Discounts
- My View For Awhile: To the East and to priests
- Good VIDEO for people who aren’t familiar with the TLM or with our traditions
- ASK FATHER: Sex before Communion
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – GO TO CONFESSION! – VIDEO
- 13 July: St. Ezra (Esdras), Old Testament Prophet and some spectacular baroque musical weirdness
- SSPX video of their amazing new US church project.
- BOOK: In Praise of the Tridentine Mass and of Latin, Language of the Church
- WDTPRS – 15th Ordinary Sunday: Too far right or too far left, we wind up in the ditch in the dark
- “Damn!”, quoth I. “That’s the spirit.” Coasties getting the job done.
- How credible is “credible” in allegations against priests?
- Tour Talk – #TDF2019 @Le_Tour Stage 6
- What the ‘c’atholic Left is up to on Twitter
- ASK FATHER: Should Catholic parents attend wedding of daughter outside the Church?
- ASK FATHER: “Funeral Liturgy Outside Mass”
- @Church_Militant on the public lynching of Fr. Eduard Perrone
- Really old frozen permafrost critters revived. What could possibly go wrong?
- Tour Talk – 2019 Tour de France
- The Church Militant and You
- William F. Buckley and Fulton Sheen on Firing Line! 1970
- BOOK: The Anti-Mary Exposed: Rescuing the Culture from Toxic Femininity
- ACTION ITEM! Help a traditional deacon get to priesthood. Watch marvelous Fulton Sheen video of 1950 Roman Holy Year
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Daily Archives: 5 December 2008
From the Catholic Key Blog: Spread some Beauty for Christmas Kansas City – St. Joseph’s own Benedictines of Mary, Queen of the Apostles have a new CD out titled "Echoes of Ephesus". This is a very young, rapidly growing and … Continue reading
From a reader: Fr. John Weyer, pastor of St. Vincent de Paul Catholic Church, passed away on Thursday, December 4, 2008. Although Father had been receiving ongoing treatment for cancer, he developed pneumonia and was admitted into ICU. He passed … Continue reading
Have you not yet heard the most recent PODCAzTs? I’d like to have a bump to the stats for a few of them before I settle in to make the next one, which will probably focus on another Advent hymn … Continue reading
The other day, 4 December, the great Fr. Nicola Bux (happy onomasitico in advance) had a piece in L’Osservatore Romano on liturgy. You might remember The Bux Protocol. He is also author of the recent La Riforma di Benedetto XVI: … Continue reading
From a reader: Dear Reverend Father Zuhlsdorf, I was asked and agreed to be an R.C.I.A. sponsor for a family member. The family member is about to marry a Roman Catholic who "Would not personally have an abortion but believes in … Continue reading
Who can educate me about USTREAM.TV?
From ZENIT: Vatican Official Considers Aquinas’ Comeback Recalls How Morality Was Scorned in the 60s By Antonio Gaspari ROME, DEC. 3, 2008 (Zenit.org).- Moral theology based on St. Thomas Aquinas is among one of theology’s most popular branches today, says … Continue reading
From a reader: Just to let you know what is happening in Finland… Yesterday we have opened a new webpage to specifically tell about the activities and visits of the Priestly Fraternity of Saint Peter in Finland: http://fsspfinland.wordpress.com/ The Home … Continue reading
On AsiaNews I read that Pope Benedict spoke to participants in the plenary session of the International Theological Commission. He outlined the guidelines theologians must follow in their work as he discussed the Commission’s own study on the “nature of … Continue reading
[uc] I got this from a reader who is NOT a seminarian at the North American College in Rome. This is actually pretty useful. Deacons out there might want to pay attention. My emphases and comments. First Mass Preparation Program … Continue reading
We continue our look at the Super oblata or "Prayer over the gifts" for Masses during Advent. SUPER OBLATA (2002MR) Placare, Domine, quaesumus, nostrae precibus humilitatis et hostiis, et, ubi nulla suppetunt suffragia meritorum, tuae nobis indulgentiae succurre praesidiis.Today’s Super … Continue reading
From a reader: I was wondering if you would mind announcing this:On December 26th a Solemn High Mass will be celebrated in St. Stephen’s Church in Cleveland, to honor our patron saint. It will be celebrated by the Rev. Bede … Continue reading
If you were to be stranded on an island with a big flat TV screen, … …which THREE TV series on DVD (or other) would you choose to have with you?