When you do your Christmas shopping online…
Ham Radio Stuff
Fr. Z - W9FRZ - OFF
QRV on: 00m 00000
Check Echolink WB0YLE-R - OFF
"If I ought to write the truth, I am of the mind that I ought to flee all meetings of bishops, because I have never seen any happy or satisfactory outcome to any council, nor one that has deterred evils more than it has occasioned their acceptance and growth."
St. Gregory Nazianzus ep. 131 - AD 382
"The archaic is not the obsolete."Must read for priests, seminarians, anyone interested in beauty in our sacred liturgical worship of God... Signs of the Holy One: Liturgy, Ritual, and Expression of the Sacred by Uwe Michael Lang [UK link HERE]
God or Nothing: A Conversation on Faith by Robert Card. Sarah
Buy it. Get one for your parish priests. UK HERE
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
- "In those situations where homosexual unions have been legally recognized or have been given the legal status and rights belonging to marriage, clear and emphatic opposition is a duty. ... If all Catholics are obliged to oppose the legal recognition of homosexual unions, Catholic politicians are obliged to do so in a particular way, in keeping with their responsibility as politicians." CDF 2003 and HERE
- You keep this blog, and me, going. I pray for benefactors.
There is a subscription form at the bottom of this page!
- zama202 said It is good to know objectively what issues you fac...
- benedetta said I look at it this way, the Holy Father patiently d...
- PhilipNeri said Polycarpio is exactly right. The Holy Father smack...
- Andrew Saucci said One of my uncle’s favorite admonitions is th...
- MrsMacD said I love Pope Francis, he’s all thumbs and lef...
- The Masked Chicken said “Let’s jump ahead in the America article. Th...
- The Masked Chicken said “When these problems cease to exist, then I...
- frjim4321 said I would take the time to read the article and the...
- Robbie said Writing as a pilot, I would encourage the flight c...
- donato2 said I have long thought that Pope Francis must be on a...
- NBW said Trying to keep calm and praying for the Holy Fathe...
- Bryan D. Boyle said just knowing what your first act would be, if I we...
- Ferde Rombola said Excellent post, Fr. Z. The Pope spoke with clarity...
- jaykay said Polycarpio: yes, I agree. But would that he had cu...
- MAJ Tony said Thomas, I’m pretty sure the Pope gave them f...
- Laura said Thank you, Fr Z. Thanks for reminding me to breath...
- MAJ Tony said I have Catholic friends in Uganda who were our bas...
- Deacon Greg Kandra said Ed… Unless I missed it, Pope John Paul II al...
- benedetta said Thanks for these Fr. Z which help us to “kee...
- benedetta said Could the motu proprio Summorum Pontificum, which...
- Polycarpio said The pope was 100% right. The question was a trap....
- DJAR said Whatever Pope Francis’ motives were during the pre...
- Viva Cristo Rey said Last paragraph! Hahahahaha Oh I needed that!
- Hugh said Dear future Pius X-II, please open your first ency...
- thomas777 said Ann Malley What is an irregular canonical status?...
- TheDude05 said I likes the part where he calls those who endorse...
- discipulus said Just a quick question. Is it a sin to be sick of t...
- LeeF said What the liberals are doing is to take things that...
- Benedict Joseph said The most reserved comment I can offer, and remain...
- anilwang said The only thing I can say is thank goodness for the...
"One of the few things in life you can be absolutely sure about is that, if Management tells you it doesn't like your Tone, you are getting something right."
Most commented in the last 7 days…
- Of scapulars, devotions and Russian jet fighters (44)
- Blue Vestments: wherein Fr. Z rants (40)
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes (24)
- ADVENTCAzT 00: Joyful penance and penitential joy (22)
- ASK FATHER: No Catholic Mass on Sunday. Are we obliged to attend Orthodox Divine Liturgy? (21)
- Papal airplane presser. Wherein Fr. Z rants. (17)
- ACTION ITEM: Pontifical Vestments Fund Raising – PROGRESS UPDATES (16)
- ACTION ITEM UPDATE: Christmas Cards and gloves (12)
- SSPX reacts to Pope Francis concession for the Year of Mercy (12)
- Why the Martyrs of Uganda were killed (11)
Support them with prayer and fasting.
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
"We as Catholics have not properly combated (the culture) because we have not been taught our Catholic Faith, especially in the depth needed to address these grave evils of our time. This is a failure of catechesis both of children and young people that has been going on for fifty years. It is being addressed, but it needs much more radical attention... What has also contributed greatly to the situation is an exaltation of the virtue of tolerance which is falsely seen as the virtue which governs all other virtues. In other words, we should tolerate other people in their immoral actions to the extent that we seem also to accept the moral wrong. Tolerance is a virtue, but it is certainly not the principal virtue; the principal virtue is charity... Charity means speaking the truth. I have encountered it (not speaking the truth) many times myself as a priest and bishop. It is something we simply need to address. There is far too much silence — people do not want to talk about it because the topic is not 'politically correct.' But we cannot be silent any longer."
Raymond Card. Burke
The Catholic Church is the exponent of Reality. It is true. Its doctrines in matters large and small are statements of what is. . . .My conclusion – and that of all men who have ever once seen it – is the faith. Corporate, organized, a personality, teaching. A thing, not a theory. It.”
Hilaire Belloc to G.K. Chesterton
"In assessing Our duty and the situation now prevailing, We have been weighed upon by the thought that a matter of this kind [i.e. error in respect of the Faith] is so grave and so dangerous that the Roman Pontiff, who is the representative upon earth of God and our God and Lord Jesus Christ, who holds the fullness of power over peoples and kingdoms, who may judge all and be judged by none in this world, may nonetheless be contradicted if he be found to have deviated from the Faith.
Cum ex Apostolatus Officio (On Error in Respect of the Faith) Apostolic Constitution of Pope Paul IV, 15 Feb 1559 (Roman Bullarium IV, I, 354-357)
Some current reading… review and a new novel…
Leave Voice Mail for Fr. Z
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…... and there will be nearly 1,000,000 page loads this month.
Help Monks in Wyoming, Fr. Z, and get great coffee too!
And they have tea too!
And for your cybersecurity…
Wyoming Catholic College!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch!
New Gregorian Chant CD by the Benedictines of Norcia!
Identity theft is a serious problem that you do NOT want to have. I use Lifelock.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
My wish lists
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- St. John Paul II
A bit more food for thought…
“Only one sin is nowadays severely punished: the attentive observance of the traditions of our Fathers. For that reason the good ones are thrown out of their places and brought to the desert.”
- Basil of Caesarea - ep. 243
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
A morsel for thought…
"If your work is strong enough for someone to hate you, it's strong enough for someone to love you. The middle is what you should fear."
- Sean McCabe @seanwes
- Papal airplane presser. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Suggestions for charitable giving for “Giving Tuesday”
- More theological gobbledygook about degrees of doctrinal authority
- ADVENTCAzT 03: O Mountain ever blessed!
- Why the Martyrs of Uganda were killed
- SSPX reacts to Pope Francis concession for the Year of Mercy
- Cyber Monday Online Shopping?
- ASK FATHER: Father denies Communion to girl who was “rebaptized”
- ADVENTCAzT 02: God has things to tell us
- Fr. Z’s Voice Mail: A wish for a dying seminarian – ACTION ITEM! #wookies4wes
- ADVENTCAzT 01: God is the God of the second chance
- ACTION ITEM: Pontifical Vestments Fund Raising – PROGRESS UPDATES
- ASK FATHER: Use of the Advent Preface in the TLM, Extraordinary Form
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Blue Vestments: wherein Fr. Z rants
- ADVENTCAzT 00: Joyful penance and penitential joy
- ACTION ITEM UPDATE: Christmas Cards and gloves
- WDTPRS: 1st Sunday of Advent (Novus Ordo) – “they are His while they are ours”
- “Admonish the sinner” reappears
- Giving thanks, with Mass, for benefactors and donors
- Of scapulars, devotions and Russian jet fighters
- Of wheels and mystical marriages
- ASK FATHER: No Catholic Mass on Sunday. Are we obliged to attend Orthodox Divine Liturgy?
- High praise for Card. Sarah from Archbp. Gänswein
- UPDATE: Bishops of England, Wales v. SSPX? Request for review of Good Friday Prayer for Jews
- Earth Might Have Hairy Dark Matter!
- 1st Bishop appointed for an Anglican Ordinariate
- Sam Gregg on the rise of young, fearless, dynamically orthodox Catholicism… in FRANCE!
- ACTION ITEM: Christmas Cards 2015 and ADVENT MUSIC CDs
- UK READERS: LONDON EVENTS
For your consideration…
"One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting."
- C.S. Lewis
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Be a “Zed-Head”!
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
More food for thought…
"All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void."
- Marbury v. Madison, 5 U.S. 137, 176
Even More Food For Thought
"Men by their constitutions are naturally divided into two parties: 1. Those who fear and distrust the people, and wish to draw all powers from them into the hands of the higher classes. 2. Those who identify themselves with the people, have confidence in them, cherish and consider them as the most honest and safe, although not the most wise depositary of the public interests."
- Thomas Jefferson to Henry Lee, 1824. ME 16:73
Please follow me on Twitter!
Daily Archives: 22 December 2008
The number of Twitter followers has grown a bit. We are up to 279 – very sloooow growth. I have a sense that not many of you use Twitter. It is strange, I admit.
We are closing in on our goal. Let’s look at the Collect for 22 December in the 2002MR. The Roman Station today is the Basilica of the Twelve Apostles. COLLECT: Deus, qui, hominem delapsum in mortem conspiciens, Unigeniti tui adventu … Continue reading
Years ago, I made a little webpage for the O Antiphons. It might be useful. Also, on this blog 17 December – O Sapientia 18 December – O Adonai 19 December – O Radix Iesse 20 December – O Clavis … Continue reading
A continuation of our look at the O Antiphons for these last few days before Christmas… LATIN: O Rex gentium, et desideratus earum, lapisque angularis, qui facis utraque unum: veni, et salva hominem, quem de limo formasti. ENGLISH: O King … Continue reading
I have known a couple people who make rosaries. The finest I have seen, used and given as gifts to newly ordained were from Queen of Peace Rosaries. However, there is a blog called Paternosters, which is a truly fascinating … Continue reading
My friend the nearly ubiquitous Mr. John L. Allen, Jr., the fair-minded former Rome correspondent for the ultra-lefty National Catholic Reporter has a good article on the today’s annual "state of the Church" address by the Holy Father to the … Continue reading
… there is also "stone by stone", though in a more literal and less metaphorical sense. Not everything in the National Catholic Reporter is worthy of vituperation. I just found an article on attempt to reconstruct a 12th-century chapter house … Continue reading
From a reader: I have been asked to coordinate the creation of a Schola Cantorum at a church in our diocese that plans to offer the Extraordinary Form of the Mass beginning on First Friday in February. (They have not … Continue reading
There is an Ordo for the older, traditional liturgy of the Roman Rite available online and in book form through Rinascimento Sacro. The Ordo Missae celebrandae et divini Officii persolvendi secundum antiquam vel extraordinariam ritus romani formam for 2009 looks … Continue reading
Archbp. Marini: Pope Benedict… Joseph Ratzinger! I am Piero, descendant of Bugnini. I challenge you! Mons. Marini: No! You’ll fight me. I am Guido, descendant of Siri. I challenge you to Immortal Kombat!