WDTPRS – 23 December – O Antiphon – O Emmanuel

We continue our look at the O Antiphons.   We have to the final full day before the Vigil of Christmas.

LATIN: O Emmanuel, Rex et legifer noster, exspectatio gentium, et Salvator earum: veni ad salvandum nos Domine Deus noster.

ENGLISH: O Emmanuel (God with us), our King and lawgiver, the expectation of the nations and their Savior: come to save us, O Lord our God.

Scripture Reference:

Isaiah 7:14; 8:8
Matthew 1:23
Haggai 2:7

Relevant verse of  Veni, Veni Emmanuel:

O come, o come, Emmanuel,
And ransom captive Israel,
That mourns in lonely exile here,
Until the Son of God appear.

In his Christmas address to the Roman Curia in 2008, His Holiness Benedict XVI speaks of the rules and the order in creation flowing from the "message" in creation.

All thing came into being through the Eternal Word.  The Word, spoken from all eternity by the Father, echoes in all of creation.  A message is written into creation.

The message has consequences, including order in nature, rules for life.

The message, with the laws it conveys, also are the grounds of true freedom.

What so many people can’t grasp today is that submission to the Lawgiver results in true freedom.

This entry was posted in ADVENT, WDTPRS. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to WDTPRS – 23 December – O Antiphon – O Emmanuel

1. Athelstane says:

Truer words were never spoken, alas.

2. Pseudomodo says:

I am almost never satisfied with this antiphon as I seems to be asking God to rejoice that Israel will soon come to Him. It’s most unnerving.

I do seem to recall many years ago that it was sung “”Rejoice, rejoice, O Israel!” // “To thee shall come Emmanuel.”

This seems clearer to my ears. What Does The Prayer Really Say?

3. Dr. Eric says:

Fr. Z,
    Thank you so very much for posting these O Antiphons, they have really helped me to prepare for Our Lord’s Nativity. The meditations, the Scriptures, the Latin and English translations have all really set my mind to contemplate the true meaning of Christmas over and against the world’s view.

4. Dr. Eric: Thanks for that feedback!

5. Brian says:

Dr. Eric,
    My sentiments exactly.
    Merry Christmas Fr. Z,
    Brian

6. Gordon says:

Very impressed with the “O” Antiphon series. Iaways follow them each Advent. What I like especially is the various scriptural references you give, which we don’t normally come across. Lets folks see Holy Church doesn’t just make this stuff up on the hoof, which many seem to think is the case!

7. Genevieve says:

My husband is a convert and these have helped to solidify his understanding of the interplay of the scriptures. They’ve also been great discussion starters for us!