Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Click the image below (they took away our search box!). Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's Fr. Z's
"catholic" search for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- JustaSinner: So no confession s from the astronauts on the ISS in low Earth orbit?
- roma247: Before everyone vents spleen over this, please, everybody, reflect: IF–a nd this is a very big IF–t his were any sort of move on the part of the Archdioces e intended to harm...
- Carrie: I wouldn’t assume Cardinal Cupich is out to destroy a priest any more than I would assume an accusation against a priest is true— until there is an investigat ion and verdict. And even...
- Fr. Reader: I wonder if the one hiding, editing and changing the words of our Pope Emeritus wants to lie to us only, or he also is lying to himself. I find really difficult to reconcile the service...
- Fr. Reader: @Mike. Not everything should be mixed with that generaliza tion called “Nov us Ordo” ; that is as imaginary as the “Spi rit of the Vatican II”. There are many...
- MotherTeresa: This is infuriatin g. I know nothing of the situation at St. John Cantius, but I am aware of several outrageous ly scandalous situations that were tolerated and ignored by Bishop...
- Elizabeth D: The page on the Cantius website that had the Canons Regular comment/st atement about the Fr Phillips allegation s does not have that anymore and just says “For questions and...
- frjim4321: Started homily by reciting the 27 words of Amendment II, which is in the news particular ly due to the support of the Parkland survivors demonstrat ed this past Thursday morning by tens...
- Anchorite: Your assessment of the matter is absolutely on the spot, Fr. Z. I’ve worried about the fate of this parish and anyone involved in running it from the moment Cupich was assigned to...
- Front Pew View: Thank you for including the ellipsis between “jai l” and “aga in” in your penultimat e sentence!
- WmHesch: I’d imagine the problem with confession by telegraph and telephone has to do with jurisdicti on… Both the confession and absolution would literally be traveling thru places the...
- Toan: “I love to see Thee bring to naught the plans of wily men. When simple hearts outwit the wise, O Thou art lovliest then.̶ 1; -Frederick Faber, The Will of God Amazing how this one...
- APX: Our statues were veiled after Mass.
- Michael Haz: I don’ t know Fr. Phillips. I attended Mass at St. John Cantius only once, when I travelled to Chicago for that specific puropse. So I don’ t have an investment in this...
- Matt C. Abbott: I’m keeping the Canons Regular in my prayers. They’ ;re good priests.
- jaykay: Images not yet veiled, but will be next Sunday. The veiling was dropped for a few years (it having always been on first Passion Sunday before that, as long as I could remember – back...
- APX: Another issue that I don’ t know if many priests realize, but in jails (at least the ones in Canada), everything is recorded both via video and audio. I asked a priest about this, who...
- LeeGilbert: Although the confession is sacramenta lly valid, [Which was the point of the question.] the technology lends itself to grave abuse as Fr. Tim Mockaitis from the Archdioces e of Portl...
- Midwest St. Michael: “The Da Vinci Code finally meets the Marx Brothers.& #8221; Oh adriennep, you just made my day and made me LOL. =) Thanks for that in these truly̷ 0; Twilightzo nish™...
- David: +MattR: At the time the explanatio n of this given to me was that since Fr. Phillips was already a member of one Congregati on of priests, he could not be transferre d into another Congreg...
- Bthompson: I’ve not had cause to hear a lot of confession s in jails, but when I do, I make sure to request the “law yer booth̶ 1; (most jails have them. They are closed rooms with...
- Sconnius: The nature of my work takes me to different towns on weekends from time to time. The parish where i was didnt have anything veiled, even though Father made many references to seeing or...
- EC: It might be wise to remind the penitent that in such a situation, there is no privacy at all… The phone system is used, in part, to record conversati ons. (Unless it is turned off for...
- hwriggles4: I will say an intention at Mass tonight for Fr. Phillips. Let’ s pray that he is cleared. A few years back, a good priest in my diocese took leave, and I didn’ ;t believe the...
- Unwilling: “I would like to mention my surprise 8221; that the in re Hunermann paragraph, that seems to explain away what would have been a discomfiti ng gesture supporting P Francis...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- LENTCAzT 2018 34 – Monday – 5th Week of Lent, Passiontide: sin makes you stoopid
- ASK FATHER: Absolution at jail through glass, phone in visitor’s room
- The fruits of dumbing everything down, down, ever down.
- REALLY BAD NEWS from St. John Cantius in Chicago – @SJCantius
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes and Passion Sunday POLL: veils on images
- LENTCAzT 2018 33 – 1st Passion Sunday, 5th of Lent: marked with the light of Thy countenance
- Dumb down liturgy. Great idea, right?
- UPDATE: Even more comes about The Letter™: additional missing text
- FSSP North America Blog
- WDTPRS 5th Sunday of Lent: Undergoing liturgical death
- “Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me,…” The Lorica of St Patrick
- LENTCAzT 2018 32 – Saturday in the 4th Week of Lent: ungenerous, unscrupulous
- UPDATES – More of and about The Letter™ of Benedict XVI on the booklets
- Fr. Stravinskas breaks it down to the essential
- The Three Days of Darkness 2018 are underway in LA!
- STATIONS OF THE CROSS – Audio from Fr. Z
- LENTCAzT 2018 31 – Friday in the 4th Week of Lent: Innocence, Penitence, Priesthood
- ASK FATHER: Blessing objects through plastic wrapper, box, etc.
- UPDATE – JUST TOO COOL! Battle Flag of LEPANTO reproduction available!
- Card. Kasper: homosexual relationships are analogous to marriages
- LENTCAzT 2018 30 – Thursday in the 4th Week of Lent: Priests and confidence
- NEEDFUL BOOKS NOTICE and a maternal CHALLENGE COIN update
- A “digital” Synod?
- LENTCAzT 2018 29 – Wednesday in the 4th Week of Lent: Suicidal Secularization v. The Mass
- My View For Awhile: Maternal Edition
- UK: 29 April 2018 – Rosary on the Coast – London Oratory Trip to Ramsgate
- LENTCAzT 2018 28 – Tuesday in the 4th Week of Lent: “They would pay any price for an hour!”
- READER FEEDBACK: “I want to be treated as an adult when it comes to catechesis and the Sacred Liturgy.”
- @CatholicCincy repudiates @JamesMartinSJ et al. homosexualist event
- Priestly Feedback: “entirely familiar realm in an entirely hostile world”
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Daily Archives: 12 January 2009
From a priest reader:
Your refrain ‘brick by brick’ has struck a cord with me. A reader recently sent in that he/she noticed the priest purifying his hands after the distribution of Holy Communion. I had started doing this some … Continue reading
What’s with this?
I mostly use the post-Conciliar Liturgia horarum or Liturgy of the Hours for my office during the week.
So here I am on the road and we have a change of volumes, from 1 to 3. On the Novus … Continue reading
Several people alerted me to this interesting note posted by our friends at Rorate, a blog I look at every day, who seem always to be on top of this sort of thing.
FSSPX [This is the SSPX] Celebrates Mass at … Continue reading
From a reader:
Due to an emergency, my family couldn’t attend Mass on Sunday morning and thus had to attend on Sunday evening at a very "progressive" local parish. At the Mass, the priest omitted the Creed. I realize that on … Continue reading
From a priest reader:
I have a question either for you, or if you choose to publish it on your blog, for anyone who can answer it.
In the 3 parishes I’ve been assigned to in my 10+ years of Priesthood, I’ve … Continue reading
From a reader:
I have been watching the papal liturgies on EWTN for several years. I recently noticed that when the Pope Benedict is wearing the pallium he SEEMS to be missing a pin/nail on the red cross over his right … Continue reading
From a reader:
Good Morning Fr. Zuhlsdorf,
I ordered the booklet from Angleus Press about Laundering Linens. Before I approach the head sacristan, I would like your opinion.
When folding the purificator the booklet says that the embroidered cross should face the … Continue reading
Once again WDTPRS needs your help.
Our little project here is a finalist for the 2008 Weblog Awards.
The voting is now open.
We can vote every day, but only once within a 24 hour period.
So vote early and often (every day) until … Continue reading