HAM RADIO W9FRZ STATUS
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
I had to change the way that people go to amazon to buy things because... you know... why make it easy?. So, just click the link below. Once you're in, you're good to shop.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
Fr. Z’s Blog is a Founding Member of…
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Tina in Ashburn: I never liked grits until I discovered that I had only had BAD grits. Never eat them cold or not freshly made. Grits made correctly are very very close to polenta. Gritty, not...
- Tina in Ashburn: SuperTradM um, teary-eyed to hear your news, fellow commenter. Golly. Prayers and offering up of my sufferings for you. Trust in Jesus no matter what the temptation s are.
- Semper Gumby: This is interestin g, it’s Day 3 of the Great Grit Debate and two hardy readers have pitched their Grit Tent in the Sick-Call Sets post. I gotta admit, ArthurH 217;s first...
- Rob in Maine: We had one around when I? was growing up. When my brother went to college (Stonehill in Massachuse tts) he used to it hide his money.
- Makemeaspark: Praying.
- tho: I know that I harp on this subject, maybe a little too much, but Extreme Unction has a distinct resonance, that Anointing of The Sick doesn̵ 7;t have. After all, everyone has bouts of...
- TonyO: Praying.
- TonyO: Of course there is nothing wrong with preaching on charity to our neighbors – it’s the subject of the Second Great Commandmen t, after all. And the foundation of satisfying the...
- Pearl: A sick call set is our standard wedding gift – whether the couple is married in the Church or not. Usually, the one we give is a little fancier. We have my in-lawR 17;s sick call...
- ArthurH: Never tries sweet grits: Sounds tsaty-deca dent! When I have them, grits with an egg-over-e asy or two on top is my more common version for breakfast, with, of course, some bacon, and...
- HvonBlumenthal: The board game is clearly something to do with the Imperial postal system which was operated by the Thurn und Taxis family. We have yellow postboxes thanks to them, and the flag of...
- hwriggles4: Speaking of southern breakfast cooking (grits are a staple at Waffle House), it wasn’ ;t until about 2004 I noticed on an east coast trip that Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast for...
- Legisperitus: The way to do grits is cheese grits. The grits provide texture, the cheese flavor.
- Suudy: You are still doing grits wrong! A little brown sugar, and let the sugar and molasses melt, then some milk over the top. Heavenly breakfast fare. I reserve the cheese and grits or butter on...
- Mariana2: I had been wondering if we would ever hear from dear Supertradm um again. Very sorry to read this, but daily chaplets of the Divine Mercy coming up from today.
- ArthurH: We have “Ano inting of the sick” ; every first Tuesday at both morning and evening Masses. As an extreme outlier survivor of a bone marrow cancer, I am well past my expec...
- Semper Gumby: Benedictus : Thank you for the CWR article on the Living Martyr of Albania. You raise a good point about “syr upy sermons, 8221; though no doubt you are aware of the richn...
- Bryan D. Boyle: I offer the remaining 8 days of the novena I’m celebratin g to Good St Anne for your intention, Supertradm om.
- Kent Wendler: I ask for this sacrament before I have any medical procedure which requires general anesthesia . My understand ing is that the benefit is not time dependent, that it is not necess...
- oldCatholigirl: Praying for Supertradm um and her son.
- philothea.distracted: Oh, I remember Supertradm um! I will pray!
- RosaryRose: Praying for you Supertradm um and for your son. I will be bold and pray for a miracle healing, God willing. We need your wisdom and strength. If God is calling you now, I pray for a...
- Beltway Catholic: @maryh, I appreciate your comments. So much of my concern is this: there are a lot of sins that can sink our souls. And it is not squishines s on the part of a preacher if he...
- maryh: @Beltway Catholic: Your comment about the Pharisee gives me the idea that you think the original poster, and maybe other followers here, don’ t wrestle with sins of the flesh, or...
- capchoirgirl: Hilltop: I’m reminded of My Cousin Vinny̵ 1;no respecting Southerner would eat instant grits!
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- ASK FATHER: Traditional “Supplied rites” after emergency or modern rite baptism
- Sick-Call Sets and You
- Day 2 – St. Paul Center Priesthood Conference
- 17 July 1794: “Mother, permission to die?”
- URGENT ACTION ITEM: Note from long-time reader who is dying
- 16 July 1969 – #Apollo11 and Our Lady of Mt Carmel
- Day 1 – St. Paul Center Priesthood Conference
- Mark Shea is sad because seminarians are Catholic
- Amazon Prime Day Discounts
- My View For Awhile: To the East and to priests
- Good VIDEO for people who aren’t familiar with the TLM or with our traditions
- ASK FATHER: Sex before Communion
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – GO TO CONFESSION! – VIDEO
- 13 July: St. Ezra (Esdras), Old Testament Prophet and some spectacular baroque musical weirdness
- SSPX video of their amazing new US church project.
- BOOK: In Praise of the Tridentine Mass and of Latin, Language of the Church
- WDTPRS – 15th Ordinary Sunday: Too far right or too far left, we wind up in the ditch in the dark
- “Damn!”, quoth I. “That’s the spirit.” Coasties getting the job done.
- How credible is “credible” in allegations against priests?
- Tour Talk – #TDF2019 @Le_Tour Stage 6
- What the ‘c’atholic Left is up to on Twitter
- ASK FATHER: Should Catholic parents attend wedding of daughter outside the Church?
- ASK FATHER: “Funeral Liturgy Outside Mass”
- @Church_Militant on the public lynching of Fr. Eduard Perrone
- Really old frozen permafrost critters revived. What could possibly go wrong?
- Tour Talk – 2019 Tour de France
- The Church Militant and You
- William F. Buckley and Fulton Sheen on Firing Line! 1970
- BOOK: The Anti-Mary Exposed: Rescuing the Culture from Toxic Femininity
- ACTION ITEM! Help a traditional deacon get to priesthood. Watch marvelous Fulton Sheen video of 1950 Roman Holy Year
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Daily Archives: 12 January 2009
From a priest reader: Fr. Z, Your refrain ‘brick by brick’ has struck a cord with me. A reader recently sent in that he/she noticed the priest purifying his hands after the distribution of Holy Communion. I had started doing … Continue reading
What’s with this?
I mostly use the post-Conciliar Liturgia horarum or Liturgy of the Hours for my office during the week. So here I am on the road and we have a change of volumes, from 1 to 3. On the Novus … Continue reading
Several people alerted me to this interesting note posted by our friends at Rorate, a blog I look at every day, who seem always to be on top of this sort of thing. FSSPX [This is the SSPX] Celebrates Mass … Continue reading
From a reader: Due to an emergency, my family couldn’t attend Mass on Sunday morning and thus had to attend on Sunday evening at a very "progressive" local parish. At the Mass, the priest omitted the Creed. I realize that … Continue reading
From a priest reader: I have a question either for you, or if you choose to publish it on your blog, for anyone who can answer it. In the 3 parishes I’ve been assigned to in my 10+ years of … Continue reading
From a reader: I have been watching the papal liturgies on EWTN for several years. I recently noticed that when the Pope Benedict is wearing the pallium he SEEMS to be missing a pin/nail on the red cross over his … Continue reading
From a reader: Good Morning Fr. Zuhlsdorf, I ordered the booklet from Angleus Press about Laundering Linens. Before I approach the head sacristan, I would like your opinion. When folding the purificator the booklet says that the embroidered cross should … Continue reading
Once again WDTPRS needs your help. Our little project here is a finalist for the 2008 Weblog Awards. The voting is now open. We can vote every day, but only once within a 24 hour period. So vote early and … Continue reading