Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Geoffrey: I really expected Archbishop Gomez to reign in this event little by little. It seems like he has done nothing in this regard. Very sad.
- Red A Surcami: Please pray for the soul of Lt Col Ben L who passed two days ago. Also for my wife’s health and for me to have the grace to be a good care giver.
- Bellarmino Vianney: McCarrick should indeed publicly repent for the most grave evils that he has done – up to and including whatever he was involved with at the last conclave. And it is true...
- FrAnt: I went to the video above on YouTube. At this time it has 7609 views, 73 thumbs down, and 2 thumbs up. A majority of the comments are negative. And the best is that it is in the category of...
- iPadre: This event is the liberal love fest. I just don’ t get how it continues to go on.
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: Sawyer: Phyllis Zagano will speak twice at the event on the topic of female deacons. All the usual suspects. Can one hope for honesty about the issues in such a context? I doubt...
- Charles Sercer: Spraffmeis ter, Those sound like some reasonable suggestion s. I have nothing against having a full calendar of saints as long as modificati ons for how each ranking is carried out...
- Sawyer: Oh, I forgot to add that Phyllis Zagano will speak twice at the event on the topic of female deacons. Readers can view workshop titles and read descriptio ns here: http://rec ongress...
- Diana: As a new TLM goer, I found this discussion to be very helpful, as I often ask myself the same thing as I watch what others do: “sho uld I be doing that?̶ 1; “why are they...
- Diana: Please pray for my husband 217;s conversion . Thank you.
- semperficatholic: Holy Office January 28, 1954 Warning of the Holy Office concerning the “Pro mises of St. Bridget 221; In some places, a little work has been disseminat ed called the...
- Sawyer: Mahony has been a frequently scheduled speaker over the past several years. Nothing new there. Usually on the immigratio n topic. Fr. James Martin will speak again, of course. Gomez has...
- SanSan: This is insanely remarkable . Who will take over this train wreck and put a stop to it?!
- teomatteo: With all thats going on in the church Archbishop Gomez does… ;.nothing.
- Semper Gumby: Prayers for all intentions here.
- Semper Gumby: Lurker 59, Grant M, et al: Good points. Fr. Murray wrote an open letter to McCarrick, Fr. Z posted it on 19 September.
- barryaltarserver1985: For me to get a job and for a new (and faithful) Archbishop in Washington
- spraffmeister: I think that an approach similar to that of the “Cur rent Tridentine Ordo” ; would be the best option, i.e. follow the principles of St Pius V, in that the saints on the...
- CradleRevert: Those sound like the Mozarabic chant versions of the Lamentatio ns. They are extraordin arily beautiful versions of the Lamentatio ns. We’v e sang them for Tenebrae the last two...
- frjim4321: We have to not only stand on the altar but also put a ladder on it to cover the crucifix for passiontid e. But the altar cloth and corporal are removed and cardboard is put on the marble...
- JamesF-J: For UK readers could I also highly recommend Sams Rosaries: http://www .samsrosar ies.co.uk/ index.php . I have their black agate and sterling silver rosary (lovely weight to it) and they...
- Bellarmino Vianney: Can anyone actually confirm the letter was really written by Vigano? Some have commented on the oddities of such a public letter. It actually makes Vigano look bad to demand...
- JonPatrick: In 2009 when I decided to get serious about my faith I bought a rosary at the gift shop of the Franciscan Friary in Kennebunkp ort ME. It started to fall apart last year, so I bought...
- Julia_Augusta: Thank you for posting this. The rosary I bought at the Basilica Cathedral of St. Cecile in Albi is about to fall apart. I need a new rosary.
- Clinton R.: “In The Present Crisis we need the Most Holy Rosary now more than ever.̶ 1; Amen, Father.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Public penance and public reparation
- Card. Mahony to speak at the Three Days of Darkness
- UPDATE: “the finest rosaries I’ve ever seen” with a new site
- SOS! New Chant Collection: Prière pour temps de détresse … Prayer in time of distress, suffering, urgency… SOS Chant
- ASK FATHER: St. Gertrude’s Prayer and releasing 1000 souls from Purgatory
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- When tweets become problematic
- 4th Letter from Archbishop Viganò
- 14 January – Happy Feast of the Ass!
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- ASK FATHER: Standing on altar to change sanctuary lamp.
- ASK FATHER: Feasts of new saints in the Traditional Latin Mass
- Good points in Lawler’s recent book: The Smoke of Satan…
- Two cordial warnings to readers
- ASK FATHER: Excessive pious gestures during Mass
- WDTPRS – Holy Family (1962MR): Families not of blood
- ASK FATHER: Can we use the Breviarium Romanum published by the SSPX?
- FOLLOW UP on Gluten and Celiac post
- ZMIRAK: Hawaii Sen. @maziehirono Is Right. We Must Intern the Knights of Columbus in Camps
- ASK FATHER: Gluten-free madness the work of the Father of Lies?
- Of desecration of liturgy and identity. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- NEW BOOK from William R. Forstchen. “Sauron’s Eye” is about to kill everything on Earth.
- Fun about a box of stuff, a papal tomb and ancient reading glasses (“cheaters”)
- BOOK RECEIVED
- ASK FATHER: “I’m seriously considering adopting some form of sedevacantism”
- ASK FATHER: Advice about homeschooling and High School
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Ready for the Epiphany Blessings
- The Party of Death, having a party at the 116th Congress
- An Argentinian bishop on Communion in the hand
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Daily Archives: 29 January 2009
Now we must all pray that in the near future men of good will can work out differences with humility and charity towards each other.
I’m chillin’ the Widow!
Some say the burger is the perfect food group. So what’s it gonna be? A hamburger? A cheeseburger? Of course, you can add all sorts of other things, such as lettuce or tomato, or a smear of mustard or mayo. … Continue reading
The traditional Catholic paper The Remnant has a piece by a frequent comment writer here, Brian Mershon, about a possible reconciliation of the SSPX with Rome perhaps by Candlemas, 2 February. I will not parse Mershon’s whole piece, for it … Continue reading
I received this very interesting note from a staffer of a US Congressman whom I will not identify for obvious reasons. I have his permission to share this: My emphases Fr. Z: As a Congressional staffer, I am extremely concerned … Continue reading
The johnny-on-the-spot site Rorate has two good pieces you would do well to look at. First, there is an entry called Cardinal Castrillón: Relevant declarations to Corriere della Sera Also check Corriere. Here is a salient point or two: The … Continue reading
And now… another dog bites man story from a washed up dissenter. This is in from ANSA: Liberation theologian and dissenter Leonardo Boff has determined that the lifting of the excommunications of the four SSPX bishops was a mistake. It … Continue reading
Several alert readers have sent me the following which I finally tracked down to our friends at NLM. Go check them out and spike their stats. The piece says it is from The Catholic Herald, the best Catholic paper in … Continue reading
As I have been writing again and again, people of good will can disagree on really hard questions rising from the Council’s documents on points that are not clear. We can argue about how to approach ecumenism or religious liberty. … Continue reading
More from Brisbane on the renegade priest. Fr. Peter Kennedy and St. Mary’s the renegade parish he has distorted. Check for backgroud here and here and here. For this last bit of dross, check out Coo-ees from the Cloister. There … Continue reading
I understand that NBC is refusing to air the CatholicVote pro-life ad. This is in from Free Republic. According to a Jan. 29 press release from CatholicVote.org, “After several days of negotiations, an NBC representative in Chicago told CatholicVote.org late … Continue reading
From a reader: Yesterday my husband (who teaches in a Catholic school …) was having a discussion with the principal of his school regarding having the children write the general intentions for the school Masses. My husband feels strongly that … Continue reading
An interesting sideshow has popped up in the Italian press following the circus train about the statements of SSPX Bishop Williamson about Jews in WWII. In a story in the Tribuna of Treviso, an SSPX priest stationed in Treviso, Italy, … Continue reading
Many thanks to the kind person who sent the bird bath, which I had listed on my amazon.com list. Alas, there was no invoice, so I don’t know who sent it. Also, I can’t put it out at this time, … Continue reading