Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Kukla65th: At risk of being told later that I didn’ ;t read all the earlier comments closely enough, everyone realizes, don’ t they, that the music in both films is not music from these...
- frjimt: i keep asking our penna attorney general when the grand jury report on abuse of minors by teachers, protestant clergy, law enforcemen t, coaches, health care profession als, scout leaders...
- Adeo3: Oh my! So many beautiful children! So focused and so discipline d
- Eriugena: So married clergy will solve absolutely NO PROBLEMS AT ALL! The Lutherans are all married and are doing terrible things to little boys. If the Pope were to permit Card. Marx to encour...
- GregB: Mark 8:36 would appear to apply to this situation: * RSVCE 36 For what does it profit a man, to gain the whole world and forfeit his life? [KJV: “and lose his own soul?̶ 1;] *...
- rhhenry: Dear BrionyB, For what it’s worth, I (a man) have the same difficulty praying to Mary. She’ s on such a pedestal, so perfect, so set apart, how can she see me as anything other...
- Julia_Augusta: At the Sunday Sung Mass (TLM) in Singapore at the Church of Saints Peter and Paul, we always pray at the end of the Mass, the Litany of Saint Joseph. I did not think much about St....
- Gregg the Obscure: I enjoyed Mr. LileksR 17; site for many years (he was from Fargo and my mother hailed from a nearby small town). Sadly his combox got infected with nasty leftists shortly...
- BrionyB: I can imagine! But this is just the nature of the internet and social media, isn’ t it? Pedants, killjoys, and humourless virtue signallers lurking in every corner. Any Babylon 5...
- BrionyB: I have difficulty with praying to St Joseph. He makes me feel uncomforta bly aware of my failings as a woman and a wife, and I can’ t help feeling he must look on me with repuls...
- Ms. M-S: Thank you, Father Z! St. Joseph is the special friend of our family. There̵ 7;s no better advice than Go to Joseph.
- grateful: And the other way is to make a spelling mistake
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father!
- PTK_70: @TonyOR 30;.I̵ 7;m glad you mention Bishop Sheen. The sooner that New York relents and allows for the transfer of his remains to Peoria, the betterR 30;.in order that the canoni...
- TonyO: part of what happened, I am convinced, is that Billy Graham came along and told us that the ceremony was just so much window dressing. And we believed him, apparently . But why did we...
- MrsAnchor: @Semper Gumby Bravissimo For me your comment had the air of an Evelyn Waugh Novel. With such talent, Do you have any Novels written?
- PTK_70: The background choir and unseen orchestra back then were phenomenal . Ok, a little more seriously& #8230;part of what happened, I am convinced, is that Billy Graham came along and told us...
- P. N: Beautiful – yes! But what happened then? Ten-twenty years after and later? How could these priests (and their bishops) and, yes, all or at least many of these cute kids destroy and desacra...
- OssaSola: I am sure it was not random that the Blessed Mother, in speaking to the modern world at Fatima, lead with a lesson on Hell.
- Kent Wendler: veritas vincit said “ 230; will seem to “fade away into nonentity. ” For some reason this made me think of the damned, after the Last Judgment, falling toward the event...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: ALL: Be careful and reticent to dig too deeply into other peopleR 17;s marriages.
- Irish Timothy: Thank you Father Z for posting this! I watched Michael’s video and he is 100% correct. Scary yes but that’s what hell is – no GOD and no love. I’m going to confession tomorr...
- ppb: Sawyer and s i, with respect, you seem to be reading a lot into Fr. Ferguson 8217;s answer that I don’ t think is there. I didn’ ;t get the impression that Father was making a...
- veritas vincit: In some ways, Pope Francis reflects the heart of a pastor in simply human ways that St John Paul II and Benedict XVI do not (although a strong counterarg ument could be made for St...
- veritas vincit: Father Z, your combox has nothing on the mob-infest ed sewer known as Twitter.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- CRISIS: Keen analysis of the implosion of the German Church
- LENTCAzT 2019 14 – Tuesday in the 2nd Week: Glorious St. Joseph!
- Lighter fare
- Wherein Fr. Z rants about Hell and sin and Enemy of the soul
- LENTCAzT 2019 13 – Monday in the 2nd Week: Kneeling at Mass, its actual liturgical function
- “You just want the 1950’s back!”
- ASK FATHER: How can eating desserts during Lent be fasting? Would Jesus eat desserts?
- News from the great Benedictines at Norcia: building, dogs, liturgy, beer
- ASK FATHER: A question about a marriage situation (not mine)
- How to spot a good preacher
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- CNA Exposé: Archbp. Francis Chullikatt, Holy See’s former Observer at the UN
- St. Patrick’s Breastplate: Armor for our time
- LENTCAzT 2019 – 12 – 2nd Sunday of Lent: God is more lenient than you
- WDTPRS – 2nd Sunday of Lent (NO): a more perfect “view”
- When We are elected Pope…
- LENTCAzT 2019 – 11 – Saturday in the 1st Week of Lent: The imperial epiphany and the tabernacle
- AUDIO: Damian Thompson on boring bishops – @HolySmoke
- 15 March – A ramble about the #IdesOfMarch
- Dems push to save cats after abandoning babies to death
- A “binding” German synod… What could possibly go wrong?
- LENTCAzT 2019 – 10 Friday in the 1st Week of Lent: The involuntary, personal response to a gracious epiphany
- ASK FATHER: We thought we had a valid marriage…
- ACTION ITEM! Support Archbp. Naumann of @archkck
- Wherein Fr. Z recommends and then rants with frustration and sorrow
- LENTCAzT 2019 – 09 Thursday in the 1st Week of Lent: Kneeling expresses what standing does not
- VIDEO: This explains the Church in Germany
- Quo Rev.dus Zed Rev.do Ioanni Hunwicke gratias persolvit
- LENTCAzT 2019 – 08 Wednesday in the 1st Week of Lent: the struggle of a soul against sin
- FATHERS! Traditional Holy Week Call For Help.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Daily Archives: 30 January 2009
The road is long and dusty. You are parched… or you just fancy a sip of something. POLL CLOSED Which refreshing beverage do you prefer? Water (still or sparkling) (43%, 775 Votes) Adult Beverage (includes Irish Coffee & Long Island … Continue reading
Patrick Madrid caught that EWTN will air the CatholicVote.org pro-life ad which NBC refused. Irondale, AL (EWTN) – See the pro-life commercial NBC refused to air during the Super Bowl on EWTN Global Catholic Network this Sunday Feb. 1, beginning … Continue reading
Check John Allen’s piece on the SSPX thing going on. My friend the nearly ubiquitous John L. Allen, Jr. is, of course, the fair-minded columnist for the ultra-lefty National Catholic Reporter. Let’s look, with my emphases and comments. In the … Continue reading
And oldie but a goodie from Creative Minority Report… just to lighten things up a bit.
The excellent blog of the diocesan newspaper of Kansas City, MO, The Catholic Key has an interesting piece. You remember the Apostolic visitation of seminaries? Vatican to Visit U.S. Women Religious Institutes Breaking. Just came across my desk. More to … Continue reading
Thanks to Fr. ER of Orthometer for this! Spurred by this.
From Robert Micken’s of the far-left leaning English weekly, The Tablet. My emphases and comments. Benedict’s high risk strategy Benedict XVI and the Lefebvrists 31 January 2009 Robert Mickens The Pope has described it as an act of paternal mercy. … Continue reading
A reader alerted me to the following from Jesuit magazine America, which I share with my emphases and comments. The Good WordA Blog on Scripture and Preaching South Africa & Liturgical ChangePosted at: 2009-01-27 11:08:00.0Author: Chris Chatteris, S.J. In many … Continue reading
A reader alerted me to this from The Telegraph. Priests [not] stage fashion show The latest fashions among the clergy were on display in Devon as local priests [not] swapped pulpits for the catwalk. Last Updated: 1:40PM GMT 30 Jan … Continue reading
UPDATE: 23:35 GMT Some people have freaked out that I posted some fairly well-founded reports that Bp. Williamson was perhaps gravely ill. I clearly stated where I got the reports and I what my motives were. If his health is … Continue reading