My friend Fr. Nicholas Schofield of Roman Miscellany has posted very useful information anniversaries we observe this year of salvation 2009.
As usual Roman Miscellany begins the new year by noting some important anniversaries in 2009 that may be of interest to readers:
- 9 January – 1300th Anniversary of the death of St Adrian, the only African Archbishop of Canterbury (so far), and Centenary of the birth of Fr Patrick Peyton, the ‘Rosary Priest.’
- 15 January – Centenary of the death of St Arnold Janssen, founder of Divine Word Missionaries
- 20 January – 300th Anniversary of the death of François de la Chaise SJ, confessor to Louis XIV
- 3 February – 100th birthday of Simone Weil, philosopher and religious writer
- 21 April – 900th Anniversary of the death of St Anselm, Archbishop of Canterbury and Doctor of the Church
- 24 April – 1300th Anniversary of the death of St Wilfrid, bishop of York
- 17 March – 200th birthday of Ambrose Phillipps de Lisle, convert and patron of Pugin
- 31 May – 200th Anniversary of the death of Josef Haydn, composer – for many the anniversary of 2009. Expect some interesting CD releases
- 11 June – 500th Anniversary of the marriage of Henry VIII and Catherine of Aragon
- 22 June – possibly the 1800th Anniversary of the martyrdom of England’s proto-martyr, St Alban (different scholars give different dates)
- 29 June – 500th Anniversary of the death of Lady Margaret Beaufort, mother of Henry VII, patron of the arts and learning and spiritual client of St John Fisher
- 4 August – 150th Anniversary of the death of St John Mary Vianney, patron of parish priests – a jubilee in Ars! Fifty years ago Blessed John XXIII issued Sacredotii Nostri Primordii for the Centenary.
- 18 August – 450th Anniversary of the death of Pope Paul IV (Carafa), who had earlier been first General of the Theatines
- 1 September – 850th Anniversary of the death of Pope Adrian IV (Breakspear), the first (and only) English Pope
- 18 October – Millennium of the destruction of the church of the Holy Sepulchre by Caliph al-Hakim bi-Amr Allah, an event which contributed to the mounting of the Crusades later in the century
- 25 November – 400th birthday of Henrietta Maria, Catholic consort of Charles I
- 25 December – 450th Anniversary of the election of Pope Pius IV (Medici), uncle of St Charles Borromeo
- I’m sure there are many more. Happy New Year!