Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- maternalView: I couldnR 17;t help it but as I read the comparison with Cupich I was reminded of this quote from his predecesso r Cardinal George: “I expect to die in bed, my successor will...
- maternalView: I was just thinking about this. I do think terrible times are ahead for Catholics. That was always in the cards but this current mess has helped that along. (As Father suggests ) I...
- Chris Garton-Zavesky: Bishop Barber, St. Margaret Mary, Oakland. Confirmati on sermon, since he didn’ ;t preach during the Mass: Since we were celebratin g the external solemnity of the...
- maternalView: The priest continued on from his homily last weekend, wherein he talked about worthy reception of the Eucharist and the need for confession , and punctuated his thoughts with examp...
- maternalView: The sad thing is there are laity who just don’ t want to admit this has anything to do with sexual morality. Assault and abuse, power and control, and secrecy are their prefer...
- hwriggles4: My dad passed away last night, so after staying up late with my family, I went to the 11 am Mass at a nearby parish. I had never been to this particular parish, and the priest spoke of...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: More feedback: Father Z, You have been a great consolatio n to me through the past several months. I am a new convert, received on Easter Sunday 2016 from a very fundamenta list...
- Chuck Ludd: Bravo. One of the most delightful aspects of the video of the Salve is that he is singing it in a genuinely joyful manner. The Salve is often sung mournfully , solemnly, or in a ̶...
- tamranthor: https://ww w.archbish opetienne. com/a-time -for-actio n-a-call-t o-prayer-p enance-for -healing The letter from our Archbishop . Seriously mealy-mout hed. Not one mention of the actual...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: teomatteo says: Morlino vocations ?, Cupich. ? That is a good question. The other day, I posted that Chicago had ONE guy going into major theology this year. I have since...
- VonOrigen: @joekstl 8230;budge ts? You may have heard that Iraq-istan ate up, and continues to eat up, most of the annual defense budget. Congress thinks the U.S. is still the Navy of ‘...
- jerome623: The pastor at my parish spoke for at least 25 minutes on the situation in the Church today. All of the essential words related to this mess were used, and used properly: sin, evil,...
- jerome623: It’s hard for one to speak out against what one is guilty. I suspect this may be the case for many of the bishops and cardinals who are giving weak responses, if any, at this...
- Southern Catholic: The priest started by saying he is a sinner. Then I heard that the bishops have failed the laity, that the PA is just the tip of the iceberg. He urged everyone to write the...
- ChesterFrank: @Glennonit e: that isn’ t violet or lavender. Its Red. Subliminal ?
- teomatteo: Morlino vocations ?, Cupich. ? Just curious
- TonyO: in age-approp riate sexual relationsh ips as if this is in anyway causative of abuse, is simple projection . Fr. Jim, if a 30-year old priest has sex with a 30-year old person, it is ̶...
- Amerikaner: How is it that cupich is a cardinal and morlino is not? That should be reversed 8230;
- Patrick L.: Gratitude is a virtue. Ingratitud e is a sin. This is one reason Jesus celebrated the response of the Samaritan to His actions. In both this and last week’ ;s Gospel, we hear that...
- clare joseph: On this topic of what the bishops say and don’ t say … I watched and listened to the clip you posted a few days ago of Raymond Arroyo interviewi ng Cardinal Burke. Speak...
- defenderofTruth: In my PA diocese, we were subject to a rather bland video presentati on, in which the main point was “I had nothing to do with it”, and “its for the childre...
- Ave Maria: Read at every Mass at every parish in the archdioces e of Denver: https://ar chden.org/ letter-to- the-archdi ocese-of-d enver-on-t he-abuse-c risis/
- Rob83: One of the priests from the seminary stopped by for a guest sermon. The good news is the number of seminarian s are up from a few years ago and other dioceses are sending men here. It was...
- Gail: The priest talked about the convent of nuns killed right before the end of the French Revolution . Nothing about the scandal per se, but it was all about what our faith is really about, and...
- frjim4321: Fr Martin Fox: As I’ve already seen in a homily of Fr. Kauth, rather than dealing with the real problem (which is the failure of the bishops to police each other) the blame is...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- ASK FATHER: How to support priests? Prepare for underground Church?
- Ex ore infantium perfecisti laudem! 3 year old “priest’s” theological observation and a Salve
- Letters of Bishops compared. Quite a contrast.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- ACTION ITEM! Help the nuns complete their beautiful monastic church!
- URGENT: HIDEOUS about SYMBOL on pastel vestments for World Meeting of Families in Dublin @WMOF2018
- Letter of @BishopMorlino of @MadisonDiocese concerning the present crisis
- WDTPRS – 20th Ordinary Sunday: invisible love, pulsing with longing
- Terrific movement of prayer for priests: Seven Sisters Apostolate
- Archbp. Cordileone’s Letter to the people of @ArchdioceseSF Fr. Z kudos and a mini-rant.
- Wherein Fr. Z offers one of the hardest posts he has ever written – UPDATED WITH YOUR COMMENTS
- PROPOSAL to all the Bishops of these USA for your November 2018 Meeting
- Card. Burke interviewed by Raymond Arroyo. The Cardinal’s advice.
- Insightful observation about Pope Francis – UPDATES!
- ASK FATHER: Lethal force against homosexual aggression in seminary?
- Search within the text for the word “reparation”. Zero.
- ASK FATHER: Can I go to a wedding at an SSPX chapel?
- Yeahhh… this is exactly the right time to dress our clergy in pastels.
- The Rite of Degradation From The Order of Priesthood. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Fr Z calls for solidarity
- The PA Grand Jury Report
- AN OPEN APPEAL TO THE CARDINALS OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH
- ASK FATHER: Your questions weigh heavily
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- ASK FATHER: “I now have doubt about sorting the doctrinal from the papal opinion.” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- ASK FATHER: Faithful, active women religious. Where to go?
- St. Maximilian Kolbe, priest, martyr, ham radio operator, intercede for dissident ‘c’atholic media!
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Beans in a bottle, and Beans in a bubble.
- A Tale of Two Churches
- Your Good News – Mass for Benefactors
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Monthly Archives: February 2009
I just had a primordial experience of a deep Northern winter night.
Coming back from a walk… out and around… I turned to look the large yellow crescent of the Moon was about to go down beneath the line of trees … Continue reading
‘Holy Grail of Comic Books’ Looks to Fetch Six-Figures at Auction
Friday, February 27, 2009
An ultra rare copy of the comic book that introduced Superman to the world hits the auction block today and bids could soar as high … Continue reading
The great radio personality Paul Harvey has died. He was 90.
Paul Harvey added elegance and charm to his news roundups and beautifully told tales.
WDTPRSer BSGers will want to discuss the last episodes.
I read an interesting entry at CMR which has a prognostication that seems plausible.
We have reached the last few episodes and the writers are beginning to tie up ends.
If you haven’t yet … Continue reading
From a reader:
In the extraordinary form of the Latin Rite, a priest may vest and serve as a deacon at the celebration of the Mass.
Is there general or particular legislation to prevent a priest from vesting and serving as … Continue reading
From last night’s convergence of the Moon and Venus.
I got this from Rorate:
Local sources in Argentina confirm that Bishop Alfonso de Galarreta, one of the four bishops of the Priestly Fraternity of Saint Pius X, will run the Seminary of Our Lady Co-Redemptrix in La Reja, Province … Continue reading
I received this from a reader. My emphases and comments:
I really enjoy your blog and have learned a lot in reading your posts; however, I’m going to stay away for Lent.
The comments are just too polarizing; the traditionalists and … Continue reading
WDTPRS Friday after Ash Wednesday – Post communionem (2002MR)
I am not sure about the origin of this prayer. It seems to be comprised of prayers in ancient sacramentaries, such as the Gelasian and Veronese and the Hadrianum and Paduense manuscripts … Continue reading
Yesterday there was a bit of a blizzard here.
It came on in the late afternoon. The wind was blowing hard enough that the chickadees were being blown off their perches. They are quite the aeronauts, however.
As darkness came on, they … Continue reading
ALL: Two things.
If there is going to be discussion here, I ask that it be civil.
My mood today, and the list of things to do I face, are such that I will simply lock people out of the blog for … Continue reading
I am reading stories that "the Vatican" has "rejected" Williamson’s recently issued apology.
Fr. Lombardi said:
…Williamson’s statement "does not seem to respect the conditions" set forth by the Vatican on February 4, when it ordered Williamson to "in an absolutely unequivocal … Continue reading
From The Times:
Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O’Connor set to be first Roman Catholic bishop in House of Lords since 16th century
From a reader:
Last night the family that I live with recited the Stations of the Cross together in our home. At the end, we prayed for the intentions of the Holy Father and had a discussion about eternal/temporal punishment, indulgences … Continue reading
The indomitable Raphaela has been busy:
Hello again Father,
Another piece from kath.net, hot off the presses. It seems that the bishop of Linz was called to Rome at short notice, presumably to explain himself. The rest of the Austrian bishops’ conference, … Continue reading