HAM RADIO W9FRZ STATUS
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
I had to change the way that people go to amazon to buy things because... you know... why make it easy?. So, just click the link below. Once you're in, you're good to shop.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
My Twitter – @fatherz
Beautiful, heirloom quality Rosaries
Fr. Z’s Blog is a Founding Member of…
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
2020 TLM Pilgrimage to the Holy Land
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Sandy: “Rub rics are in a sense, a matter of moral theology.& #8221; Wonderful statement as is the whole essay, Father. I would love to give it to the new priest at my parish. He has made the...
- Kerry: My dear TonyO. Posted for your enjoyment, this link to Fr. John Hunwicke 8217;s blog, https://li turgicalno tes.blogsp ot.com/sea rch?q=Chri stine+Mohr mann, Mutual Enrichment , for all...
- supercooper: Even more off-puttin g to me than Priest Voice (In the Ordinary Form, I’ve never witnessed any type of priest voice in the Extraordin ary Form) is BishopR 17;s Voice. [It...
- thomistking: ChaputR 17;s letter concerning Fr. Martin is masterful. He is gentle and charitable (perhaps to the point of absurdity) but clear and resolute in laying out the principles of the...
- mo7: OK, I had to look up Tall Poppy Syndrome. Thanks, it’s much better nuanced than the condescend ing ‘ove rachiever& #8217;. [Thank you for looking it up!]
- TonyO: Cobbler, good point about the discrimina tion. But he should definitely get a new job lined up first. Imrahil, I feel much the same way about the words said in secret: if that’ ;s what...
- Grant M: I am Groot.
- The Cobbler: If we’r e getting serious, I should recount the anecdote about an atheist blog I once ran across that ranted against “the animistic fallacy 221;, by which he meant not...
- The Cobbler: FrAnt, I believe the meme goes, “I don’ t want to live on this planet anymore. 8221;
- The Cobbler: The image of the horse costume reminds me of a Dudley Do-Right episode in which Snidley Whiplash, realizing that DudleyR 17;s horse is the competent member of the duo (and indeed of...
- The Cobbler: Lurker 59, If I were in your friendR 17;s position, I’d be mighty tempted to get a new job lined up, then accuse those coworkers of discrimina tion based on their gender...
- Luminis: Thank you Giana Rose!
- The Cobbler: Shatner would have overemphas ized but at least emphasized what makes sense; the typical Novus Ordo lectorR 17;s choice of pauses and emphases seem to be designed, if anything, to...
- Hidden One: Bishops are, in very practical terms, extraordin arily limited in what they can do with regard to institutio ns in their dioceses that are run by religious of pontifical rite. Most of...
- Giana Rose: Luminis, I will remember the faithful in Philly. After a year with no bishop, my diocese got a new bishop right as I moved from the diocese. It was a long year, as our previous bishop...
- ex seaxe: Thank you Father. I find it immensly irritating when people who define themselves as traditiona lists just do as they please without regard the rubrics. About 30 years ago I used to...
- Semper Gumby: jaykay: In Steyn̵ 7;s book America Alone (in which he smites Europe regarding demographi cs, Islamifica tion, etc.) Steyn managed on occasion to find the lighter side of things. I...
- Luminis: Can I ask for prayers for the faithful here in Philly, we are very nervous about what may be coming our way!
- Luminis: Archbishop Chaput is the best!! I have written to him several times via email. He returns the email within the hour!! He is a good leader and priest. We need many more like him. I am so...
- HvonBlumenthal: I was forcibly struck by one glaring omission in Bishop Jenky’s piece: no mention of confession . There isn’t a hope of restoring faith in the Real Presence if people don’t return...
- TonyO: Great commentary Fr. Z, and everyone else. Since Pius XII (maybe even earlier, I don’ t know), the Vatican has found it very, very difficult to muster the courage to punish wayward...
- Josephus Corvus: It’s great so see a couple bishops actually saying something. One thing I’m confused about regarding Archbishop ChaputR 17;s opening paragraph. I thought that there...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): In a not-unrela ted topic, for as long as we have to put up with lectors in the Novus Ordo Missae, they need to knock it off with the dramatic renditions of the readings. In...
- Amerikaner: When I think of certain German prelates, or the overall sense of the German church, in my mind I get the image of the Eye of Sauron for some reason.
- Suburbanbanshee: Of course, a priest with reasonable tone production can always chant the Mass prayers, even in English. And then you don’ t have to worry about personal tone of voice, just...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- An old Jesuit advised Francis: “Think clearly, but speak obscurely.”
- Tall Poppy Syndrome and two American Bishops
- The priest’s voice and the “priest voice” during Holy Mass. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- The true “pseudo-schismatic” Church in Germany
- Idea for the Pan-Amazonian #Synod2019
- Initiative of Prayer and Fasting from now through October 2019 (and the Synod)
- St. Robert Bellarmine – Pray for us! Help us with your teaching and example!
- ASK FATHER: Did Francis say something heretical about God and our sins?
- Blinky light shoes at Mass
- ASK FATHER: Should I “poison” by Facebook account?
- Of “schism” and the abolition of the USCCB
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Our Lady of Sorrows Project: 7th Sorrow – The Burial of Jesus
- Our Lady of Sorrows Project: 6th Sorrow – The Piercing of the Side of Jesus, and His Deposition.
- Jesuit-run Amerika aims at Francis’ “detractors”. Incoherence ensues.
- @JamesMartinSJ and internet bullying
- Our Lady of Sorrows Project: 5th Sorrow – The Crucifixion of Jesus
- Mind-blowing profundity at the reconstituted John Paul II Institute 2.0
- RECENT POSTS and THANKS!
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- VIDEO: Fr. Murray, Prof. Royal on EWTN on Francis’ latest PPP (Papal Plane Presser) comments
- @FatherZ responds to @PhilipPullella of Reuters about the Holy Spirit and the elections of Popes
- Our Lady of Sorrows Project: 4th Sorrow – Mary meets Jesus on the way to Calvary
- “This is the time God chose for us. Get up off the ground!” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- A roundup on Francis and “schism”
- What is the TMSM up to? Spiffing new BLACK vestments! Photos.
- Australia: New legislation – priests must violate the Seal or face jail
- What the papalatrous are doing with the term “schism”
- Our Lady of Sorrows Project: 3rd Sorrow – The loss of the Child Jesus in Jerusalem
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Daily Archives: 9 February 2009
Can you believe that Huffington Post got a question during Pres. Obama’s presser? I think WDTPRS should have been in the front row… but not anywhere near Helen Thomas, thanks very much. What question should I have asked? Hmmm…. Formulating … Continue reading
A reader, KK, sent this.
Our friends at Rorate found and interview with Card. Castrillon, President of the Pont. Comm. Ecclesia Dei, on a Colombian radio network RCN. The story on RCN. There is an interesting quote. "I have always had truth as a … Continue reading
You might be interested in this story from Inside The Vatican. A reader sent the link. Did you know that the late Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre’s father died in a Nazi concentration camp? Read about it. This is interesting to think … Continue reading
Folks.. I implore you… If you send me things by e-mail you think are good for posting or writing about, or even just reviewing… … send usable texts and working LINKS.
From a reader: The A word was uttered today at the local (n.o.) Mass this morning. Is the A only buried by traditional Catholics on Septuagesima Sunday? (Or can I answer my own question – there is no more Septuagesima … Continue reading
The clerical garb issue is getting interestinger all the time. It started when Fr. Longenecker offered contumacious snark in the direction of all WDTPRSers. But when WDTPRS mentioned ferraiuolo, Fr. L went silent. I think we all know why. Support … Continue reading
Regarding the entry on indulgences, a reader sent this. It is reputed to by Martin Luther’s very own receipt he received at Wittenberg. He wanted evidence against the Church selling plenary indulgences, and all he got was this. Now.. I … Continue reading
In Der Spiegel, a German weekly, Bp. Williamson, the former rector of the SSPX seminary in Argentina, was interviewed. Go to the link to read the whole thing, but here are some of the more interesting points. My emphases and … Continue reading
I often post photos of food prep and presentation. There is another really important part of the process. Cleaning your cutting board…. indeed all surfaces. I was handling some chicken recently. After handling raw meat wash wash wash, hands and … Continue reading
From Hell’s Bible… the floundering New York Times comes this. My emphases and comments. For Catholics, Heaven Moves a Step Closer By PAUL VITELLOPublished: February 9, 2009 The announcement in church bulletins and on Web sites has been greeted with … Continue reading
A really interesting story came to my e-mail. H.E. Most Rev. Daniel Jenky, Bishop of Peoria, ordered that a letter of his composition be read in all churches on Sunday. Some parishes did not comply. The issue? His concern over … Continue reading
This is in from the Cardinal Newman Society: Students and faculty returned to Boston College (BC), a Jesuit Catholic institution, for the Spring 2009 semester to find that crucifixes and icons had been placed in many classrooms that had been … Continue reading