Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- ChesterFrank: here is the fashion show from the designer: http://wdt prs.com/bl og/2017/06 /another-h uge-reason -summorum- pontificum /
- ChesterFrank: Someone gave reference to the vestment designer Haftina. I remember that name because I had seen it before. It was from a fashion show posted by Fr. Z on this blog! Unbelievab le...
- Fr. Kelly: I highly recommend this Apostolate to all who are willing to take it on. Actually, in my parish 14 ladies stepped up to take me on in prayer, two for each day, since we are a rural...
- Fr. Kelly: I just spent some time looking at Irish Christian uses of the triskelion . The spiral goes either direction (to the right or to the left) but the three spirals are always tied toget...
- ChesterFrank: To add to the confusion here is one that describes the Shinto Trinity: http://www .nihonbunk a.com/shin to/trinity .htm Its not uncommon for identical symbols to have differ...
- Elizabeth D: To anyone else thinking about doing this, it seems like it will be easy to put together, I emailed 16 women friends this afternoon and already have 2 affirmativ e replies and one...
- oldCatholigirl: This is a really practical suggestion . I hope a lot of the bishops, if not all, heed it. Exorcisms would trump commission s, committees , apologies (at least in the modern sense);...
- e.e.: St. Michael the archangel, defend us. …If Card. Wuerl has now backed out of attending, perhaps we can continue to pray that certain other attendees might withdraw and the vestme...
- bartlep: I’m still waiting to see a letter written by my bishop, Bp. McElroy. Since he totally ignored a letter written to him by A.W. Snipe on the state of priestly celibacy, he may be...
- Benedict Joseph: Like I said the other day about something else… ;stuck on stupid. The rich tradition of centuries of liturgical vestments and they come up with this crap. And that is what is....
- maternalView: Whatever it means the vestments are ugly. Why can’ t we have the beautiful? Why don’ t “the y” want us to have the it? I want the good, the true and the...
- Wendy Babiak: No, Satan̵ 7;s not hiding his tail… ;he’ s wearing assless chaps! This is all quite gross. I confess that in my heart of hearts sometimes I thank God that we were...
- PostCatholic: I thought as I began to read this article that the objection was going to be to a pre-Christ ian symbol being used for a Christian purpose. I’ve never seen a BDSM flag a-wav...
- maternalView: @mulieribu s Yes, Catholic weddings have become so very complicate d. And it used to be I could easily determine if I could go based on the venue̵ 1; not in a Catholic church then...
- joekstl: I would suggest that you seek out the letter of Bishop Frank Caggiano of Albany ( a son of Brooklyn, NY- my home Diocese). It is excellent and closes with s prayer to the great Mother of...
- Gab: It still looks like “666 ” to me.
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: More: Hi Father, Thank you for this very brave post. You are quite right about this. One point that adds to what you say is made by this FSSP priest in his sermon (31 mins):...
- Fallibilissimo: I don’ t know about you guys but after the roller-coa ster of emotions of the past few weeks, I feel like a fresh yet ancient wind is blowing on our shores. Yes, I have no...
- Joy65: What the HECK is going on IS that satan is laughing his head off. he doesn̵ 7;t even have to work hard because we are just letting him walk right in and take over. WHO IN THEIR “...
- Charlotte Allen: I can’ t stand those insipid pastels myselfR 11;but actually, the triple spiral, called the “tri skele̶ 1; or “tri skelion 221;– ;is a pagan...
- Chuck Ludd: While I agree that the vestments are hideous, when I first saw the symbol I assumed it was trinitaria n — but a bad modern symbol of the Trinity. The article posted above sugge...
- Suburbanbanshee: The triskelion , triple spiral, etc. are tied together at the center, and often at the rim of the circle also. This creates a feeling of stability. It is also very satisfying to...
- Kathleen10: I agree, it definitely resembles that diabolical flag. I also agree, the devil cannot hide his horns. We saw that at Joseph Sciambra 8217;s site, with the Quest conference highlig...
- LeeGilbert: From the Irish Examiner article Charles Flynn links above, “The papal vestment has a triple Celtic spiral that is associated with Irish ancient manuscript s while some 70 bisho...
- JustaSinner: What the Hell is going on? No, more to the point, who is going TO hell!!!
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- URGENT: HIDEOUS about SYMBOL on pastel vestments for World Meeting of Families in Dublin @WMOF2018
- Letter of @BishopMorlino of @MadisonDiocese concerning the present crisis
- WDTPRS – 20th Ordinary Sunday: invisible love, pulsing with longing
- Terrific movement of prayer for priests: Seven Sisters Apostolate
- Archbp. Cordileone’s Letter to the people of @ArchdioceseSF Fr. Z kudos and a mini-rant.
- Wherein Fr. Z offers one of the hardest posts he has ever written – UPDATED WITH YOUR COMMENTS
- PROPOSAL to all the Bishops of these USA for your November 2018 Meeting
- Card. Burke interviewed by Raymond Arroyo. The Cardinal’s advice.
- Insightful observation about Pope Francis – UPDATES!
- ASK FATHER: Lethal force against homosexual aggression in seminary?
- Search within the text for the word “reparation”. Zero.
- ASK FATHER: Can I go to a wedding at an SSPX chapel?
- Yeahhh… this is exactly the right time to dress our clergy in pastels.
- The Rite of Degradation From The Order of Priesthood. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Fr Z calls for solidarity
- The PA Grand Jury Report
- AN OPEN APPEAL TO THE CARDINALS OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH
- ASK FATHER: Your questions weigh heavily
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- ASK FATHER: “I now have doubt about sorting the doctrinal from the papal opinion.” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- ASK FATHER: Faithful, active women religious. Where to go?
- St. Maximilian Kolbe, priest, martyr, ham radio operator, intercede for dissident ‘c’atholic media!
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Beans in a bottle, and Beans in a bubble.
- A Tale of Two Churches
- Your Good News – Mass for Benefactors
- Non-Catholics and Catholics alike wonder about changes to CCC 2276 on death penalty
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – UPDATE: Photos of seminarians Solemn Mass
- PODCAzT 165: Liturgical battles lost and won… and lost; don Camillo (Part X)
- Super creepy poster for “gay” conference reveals agenda
- Controversy over the Holy Father’s substitution of CCC 2267 continues.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Daily Archives: 11 February 2009
The post by Mosebach got me thinking about something I have drilled at for a while now.
Libs, progressivists, what ever you call them, are functioning within a blinkered paradigm.
They have raised what they imagine the Council was about to … Continue reading
People of good will will note with sorrow that three seminarians of the SSPX, attending the seminary in Ecône, were killed in an avalanche in nearby Nendaz.
I urge you to pray for them and for comfort for their families, friends … Continue reading
The author of the fine The Heresy of Formlessness, Martin Mosebach, has published in Der Spiegel an essay about the lifting of the excommunications of the SSPX Bishops.
I picked up this English translation here, the Society of St. Hugh … Continue reading
To those sending me obtuse e-mail filled with indignation that the POPE would rehabilitate a HOLOCAUST DENIER!, I offer these comments.
To those journalists and columnists out there who are grinding their gears over this issue, please pay attention.
Please read … Continue reading
WHAT: CUA Lecture: "Which Liturgy Is the Church’s Liturgy"?
WHEN: 4:30 p.m., Thursday, Feb. 12WHERE: The Catholic University of AmericaEdward J. Pryzbyla University Center, Great Room620 Michigan Ave., N.E.Washington, D.C.
DETAILS: Monsignor Kevin W. Irwin, dean and Walter J. Schmitz Chair of … Continue reading
From a reader:
In my experience when Masses are celebrated with a children’s choir or a teen band it seems that the focus of the Liturgy shifts from the Sacrifice of the Mass to the children that are singing or the … Continue reading
In the week’s ahead, as we move into Lent, enemies of the Pope will no doubt remember that he changed the Good Friday prayer for Jews in the 1962MR. Then the whole anti-Jewish thing will have another round in … Continue reading
From a reader:
According to a good friend of mine at Notre Dame, the Basilica of the Sacred Heart will be celebrating Easter Mass two weeks before Easter, so that it can be taped and broadcast on NBC on Easter day…
"All … Continue reading
The always interesting Sandro Magister presents us with a piece on the Church in China.
I am sure you will be shocked that the "openness" of the Olympic facade might not have been entirely genuine.
Let’s have a look with … Continue reading
Last night I made melanzane alla parmigiana, that’s eggplant.
I found eggplant on sale for $1.39 each and thought I could get a couple meals out of them.
I also wanted to see how fast I could … Continue reading
From Camille Paglia‘s latest:
Money by the barrelful, by the truckload. Mountains of money, heaped like gassy pyramids in the national dump. Scrounging packs of politicos, snapping, snarling and sending green bills flying sky-high as they root through the tangled mass … Continue reading