Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- quomodocumque: I have I on good authority that the Chinese “bis hops” ; are all unbaptized athiests who were simply hired for the job. The was no consecrati on in either the old rite or...
- Johann: Cardinal Juan Luis Cipriani Thorne banned communion in the hand when he was made Archbishop of Lima, Peru. Cardinals Robert Sarah and Raymond Burke have also called for communion to be...
- chantgirl: Can we ever imagine Cupich locking the doors of a church so that an LGBT group could not celebrate a rainbow Mass? Some Catholics aren’ ;t as welcome as other Catholics.
- chantgirl: If Cupich has the “dut y to ensure that those who serve our faithful are fully able to minister to them in the way our Church expects 221;, then surely his seminarian s are...
- Gregg the Obscure: Leftist language – so well described by George Orwell a few years ago – doesn̵ 7;t call things what they are lest a useful idiot have his or her pwecious feewi...
- Imrahil: Dear KateD, for me, there is only one St Michael prayer that might be called The St Michael prayer, which is: Holy Archangel Michael, defend us in battle, etc. (And only one other I know,...
- KateD: Father, Would you please reiterate the danger of layity praying the Saint Michael PrayerR 30;and make clear the distinctio n between the two prayers, the one we pray after Mass vs. the...
- KateD: Is that available on a mug?
- bibi1003: Finally, he’s said something we don’ t need to fact-check .
- bibi1003: Rob83, that is really scary. That made me think of something similar (and likely diabolical ) that happened to Randall Sullivan, as described in his book The Miracle Detective. Sulli...
- JamesA: “I have kicked myself the times I did not go.” I sincerely hope that means you will go next year, Father, because it is my prayer to be able to go, as well. To see you there...
- Markus: When informed by my parish priest, during a conversati on, that his mentor/fri end/fellow priest instructed him that, as pastor, he could paint the pews purple if he wanted to. I took this...
- Kent Wendler: Would you consider offering this to First Things as a “dai ly article 221;? I think it’s worth it. (You might need to define “Fis hwrap̶ 1; and include...
- Sseprn: Thank you Father for those observatio ns. What a mess we have. We need to stay strong, have faith, and Pray. Along the same lines, over at Crisis, is a piece by Anthony Esolen: https:/...
- TonyO: There isn’ t really any even half-way supportabl e reason to call the cover-up / cabal / homosexual ism crisis by the name of “cle ricalism 8221;. There isn’ t, in fact,...
- excalibur: “Cup ich hole” ; Give yourself a Gold Star, Father Z. Rememberin g what the late Cardinal George said about his successor. Persecuted , but not what we thought over? The Lord...
- mibethda: The Mass paten does appear to have been consecrate d in the ‘Mid dle Ages’ ;. see Guilielmus Durandus, Rationale Divinorum Officiorum , Book I, Chapter 8, Par.24: 24. Further...
- Charlotte Allen: @mcferran Msgr. Pope, author of that blog page you linked, is a great guy. He leads a monthly Saturday-m orning prayer witness at the humongous Planned Parenthood abortion clinic...
- francophile: Fundamenta lly, we are being asked by the Pope and many bishops to accept predatory homosexual behaviour as the norm for clerical life. And we are being asked to “loo k the other...
- JesusFreak84: Even if Francis was TEH BEST POPE EVAH, that kind of remark is foolish. Some things you just don’ t joke about, and some things certain people just shouldn 217;t ever joke...
- JesusFreak84: Our priests have begun to go as “bla nd” and “gen eric” ; as the EF lectionary could allow. I wouldnR 17;t be surprised if the actions of our Cardina...
- Roy Hobbs: FatherR 30; you sure do get around! And what a lovely picture of MSP. Safe travels.
- Ultrarunner: Apparently , it’s far easier to cede papal authority and recognitio n to an athiestic communist state formed in the 20th century than to do so with Christian based denominati ons...
- MissBee: So bad, but so good! And it made me think of this – Vince Lombardi as St. Vince Lombardi (or as I would say, “Vin cent Lombardi of Green Bay). Not entirely improbable , is...
- Fr Martin Fox: My homily title was, “Det achment: what it is, why we need it and how to gain it.” I also talked about Flannery O’Co nnor’ ;s idea of grace not necessaril y...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- When they claim “Clericalism!”, they really mean #sodoclericalism
- My View For Awhile: Humidity Edition
- ASK FATHER: Is a Communion plate or paten a “sacred vessel”?
- OCTOBER – ROME – Annual #SumPont2018 Pilgrimage
- Thanks to Augustus on his birthday and to the Cohors Italicus
- If government leaders in China can now choose bishops, then in these USA…
- Francis trades quips with Polish photographer in Vilnius
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Archbp. Chaput of @ArchPhilly on upcoming Synod’s working document. Concerns.
- UPDATE – @ArchChicago parish burns a “rainbow flag”
- THIS IS WAR! Wherein Fr. Z calls on bishops and priests to FIGHT BACK as priests and bishops!
- Akita, Communion in the hand, and homosexuality
- Card. Zen on the “Provisional Agreement” with the PRC on Bishops
- WDTPRS – 25th Ordinary Sunday: Each love fuels the other, when love of God is first.
- VIDEO: Fr. Murray on aspects of The Present Crisis
- ASK FATHER: Adding water to Holy Water
- ASK FATHER: If in letters Benedict XVI imparts still the Apostolic Blessing…
- A story of spectacular complexity, involving shady people, huge money, interlocking directorates, vast loans, and the Papal Foundation.
- One Mad Mom spanks James Martin, LGBTSJ – UPDATED
- Bishop R. Walker Nickless of Sioux City on #ViganoTestimony
- And now a word from our sponsor…
- BOOKS RECEIVED: Vatican I: The Council and the Making of the Ultramontane Church
- The upcoming Synod’s “working document”
- ASK FATHER: Should we pray for or against the success of the Synod?
- What passes for important today.
- YOU are other people. It’s always someone else… until it’s YOU.
- ASK FATHER: Are we are in the End Times?
- Fr. Murray’s Open Letter to ex-Card. McCarrick. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Cri de Coeur about lost innocence and The Present Crisis
- Card. Müller: “the real danger to today’s humanity is the greenhouse gases of sin and the global warming of unbelief”
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Daily Archives: 20 February 2009
A kind reader sent the following:
Fr. Z –
We were impressed with how nicely a 12 oz beer fit in your large mug!
Thanks guys, and PROSIT!
Upon upon a time when some changes were made to the server hosting this blog, I lost the ability to display certain characters, including Chinese characters.
Hundreds of entries had words that were turned into gobbledygook.
I can’t tell you how irritating … Continue reading
I don’t want to pick on the writer. That is not my purpose.
But more than one person sent me this article with some questions. In The Message Online, for SW Indiana, which is the internet presence of the Diocese … Continue reading
I wonder how much Speaker Pelosi’s trip cost the American people?
What was personal? What was actually on behalf of the American people?
I’m just askin’.
From a priest reader (edited):
With Lent about to begin I have a question regarding Laetare Sunday and what vestments I should wear for the TLM that day.
I will be celebrating a Sung Mass in the EF for Laetare Sunday. … Continue reading
I have had a few e-mails in the last couple days about a very painful topic: parish closings.
People are rightly angry and sad when a parish is closed.
Many factors are involved in a parish closing: shift in demographics, economic downturns, … Continue reading
From a reader:
Fr. Z: I’m a Junior at ___ in the Television Department. I’ve stumbled upon your blog a few times, and I’ve noticed that you celebrate the Latin Mass. (Tridentine?)
I have a question for you. I’ve witnessed a … Continue reading