HAM RADIO W9FRZ STATUS
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
I had to change the way that people go to amazon to buy things because... you know... why make it easy?. So, just click the link below. Once you're in, you're good to shop.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
My Twitter – @fatherz
Beautiful, heirloom quality Rosaries
Fr. Z’s Blog is a Founding Member of…
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
2020 TLM Pilgrimage to the Holy Land
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- mo7: OK, I had to look up Tall Poppy Syndrome. Thanks, it’s much better nuanced than the condescend ing ‘ove rachiever& #8217;. [Thank you for looking it up!]
- TonyO: Cobbler, good point about the discrimina tion. But he should definitely get a new job lined up first. Imrahil, I feel much the same way about the words said in secret: if that’ ;s what...
- Grant M: I am Groot.
- The Cobbler: If we’r e getting serious, I should recount the anecdote about an atheist blog I once ran across that ranted against “the animistic fallacy 221;, by which he meant not...
- The Cobbler: FrAnt, I believe the meme goes, “I don’ t want to live on this planet anymore. 8221;
- The Cobbler: The image of the horse costume reminds me of a Dudley Do-Right episode in which Snidley Whiplash, realizing that DudleyR 17;s horse is the competent member of the duo (and indeed of...
- The Cobbler: Lurker 59, If I were in your friendR 17;s position, I’d be mighty tempted to get a new job lined up, then accuse those coworkers of discrimina tion based on their gender...
- Luminis: Thank you Giana Rose!
- The Cobbler: Shatner would have overemphas ized but at least emphasized what makes sense; the typical Novus Ordo lectorR 17;s choice of pauses and emphases seem to be designed, if anything, to...
- Hidden One: Bishops are, in very practical terms, extraordin arily limited in what they can do with regard to institutio ns in their dioceses that are run by religious of pontifical rite. Most of...
- Giana Rose: Luminis, I will remember the faithful in Philly. After a year with no bishop, my diocese got a new bishop right as I moved from the diocese. It was a long year, as our previous bishop...
- ex seaxe: Thank you Father. I find it immensly irritating when people who define themselves as traditiona lists just do as they please without regard the rubrics. About 30 years ago I used to...
- Semper Gumby: jaykay: In Steyn̵ 7;s book America Alone (in which he smites Europe regarding demographi cs, Islamifica tion, etc.) Steyn managed on occasion to find the lighter side of things. I...
- Luminis: Can I ask for prayers for the faithful here in Philly, we are very nervous about what may be coming our way!
- Luminis: Archbishop Chaput is the best!! I have written to him several times via email. He returns the email within the hour!! He is a good leader and priest. We need many more like him. I am so...
- HvonBlumenthal: I was forcibly struck by one glaring omission in Bishop Jenky’s piece: no mention of confession . There isn’t a hope of restoring faith in the Real Presence if people don’t return...
- TonyO: Great commentary Fr. Z, and everyone else. Since Pius XII (maybe even earlier, I don’ t know), the Vatican has found it very, very difficult to muster the courage to punish wayward...
- Josephus Corvus: It’s great so see a couple bishops actually saying something. One thing I’m confused about regarding Archbishop ChaputR 17;s opening paragraph. I thought that there...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): In a not-unrela ted topic, for as long as we have to put up with lectors in the Novus Ordo Missae, they need to knock it off with the dramatic renditions of the readings. In...
- Amerikaner: When I think of certain German prelates, or the overall sense of the German church, in my mind I get the image of the Eye of Sauron for some reason.
- Suburbanbanshee: Of course, a priest with reasonable tone production can always chant the Mass prayers, even in English. And then you don’ t have to worry about personal tone of voice, just...
- TonyO: In particular I remember in prayer His Excellency Most Reverend Robert C. Morlino, the Extraordin ary Ordinary, Bishop of Madison. I am, sincerely, not worried about the state of his soul,...
- Imrahil: Back in the day, moral theologian s agreed that it would be grave sin to recite the whole of the Canon, or just the words of consecrati on, aloud, that is in the clara or conveniens vox,...
- Ellen: Thank you Father Z. I have not been subjected to this in my parish, but I have heard it while travelling . All types of affected voices bother me. There̵ 7;s a Liturgy of the Hours...
- Lurker 59: —> ;is the “priest voice”, which is often pitched higher – not to be better heard but rather for… damn, I dunno why! I think it is a subtle affectatio n. And sometimes it’s not...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Tall Poppy Syndrome and two American Bishops
- The priest’s voice and the “priest voice” during Holy Mass. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- The true “pseudo-schismatic” Church in Germany
- Idea for the Pan-Amazonian #Synod2019
- Initiative of Prayer and Fasting from now through October 2019 (and the Synod)
- St. Robert Bellarmine – Pray for us! Help us with your teaching and example!
- ASK FATHER: Did Francis say something heretical about God and our sins?
- Blinky light shoes at Mass
- ASK FATHER: Should I “poison” by Facebook account?
- Of “schism” and the abolition of the USCCB
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Our Lady of Sorrows Project: 7th Sorrow – The Burial of Jesus
- Our Lady of Sorrows Project: 6th Sorrow – The Piercing of the Side of Jesus, and His Deposition.
- Jesuit-run Amerika aims at Francis’ “detractors”. Incoherence ensues.
- @JamesMartinSJ and internet bullying
- Our Lady of Sorrows Project: 5th Sorrow – The Crucifixion of Jesus
- Mind-blowing profundity at the reconstituted John Paul II Institute 2.0
- RECENT POSTS and THANKS!
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- VIDEO: Fr. Murray, Prof. Royal on EWTN on Francis’ latest PPP (Papal Plane Presser) comments
- @FatherZ responds to @PhilipPullella of Reuters about the Holy Spirit and the elections of Popes
- Our Lady of Sorrows Project: 4th Sorrow – Mary meets Jesus on the way to Calvary
- “This is the time God chose for us. Get up off the ground!” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- A roundup on Francis and “schism”
- What is the TMSM up to? Spiffing new BLACK vestments! Photos.
- Australia: New legislation – priests must violate the Seal or face jail
- What the papalatrous are doing with the term “schism”
- Our Lady of Sorrows Project: 3rd Sorrow – The loss of the Child Jesus in Jerusalem
- “How are they down, how have they fallen down Those great strong towers of ice and steel”?
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Daily Archives: 26 February 2009
Bishop Martino of Scranton is really defining the issue … AGAIN: Bishop Again Voices Concern Regarding Sen. Casey’sMexico City Policy Vote The following letter has been sent to Sen. Bob Casey: Dear Senator Casey, It is a matter of deep … Continue reading
His Excellency John Vlazny of Portland, Oregon, has made comments about the lifting of the excommunications of the four SSPX bishops. Let’s have a look with my emphases and comments. All in the familyBy Archbishop John Vlazny The first two weekends … Continue reading
Feel free to send photos and accounts of your Roman Stations during Lent! I’ll make sure you are anonymous if you wish to be.
We are having a bit of a blizzard. Supplies have been laid up. I jarred some very spicy homemade mostarda last week for such an occasion. I made a batch of oranges and lemons, and a batch of carrots, celery … Continue reading
A reader read a piece on this blog about the washing of the feet of women on Holy Thursday and decided to approach the liturgy office of his local diocese. He received this response. For now I will edit out … Continue reading
From a reader: I have a quick question if I may. Do you what the differences are, if any, between The New Missal for Every Day and The New Roman Missal by Fr. Lasance? I have the New Roman Missal, … Continue reading
From The Catholic Spirit of the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis comes this statement of the Chancellor of the Archdiocese about the SSPX. My emphases and comments. Lifting of bishops’ excommunication doesn’t mean they are in full communion with … Continue reading
I received the following e-mail: Maybe this is a dumb question, but in a recent survey in our diocese, the priests stated that one of the most stressful problems for them were what the survey question called "expectations of the … Continue reading
This is in from The Catholic Herald. Documents show Pius saved Jews from NazisBy Ed West27 February 2009 Documents discovered in the Vatican Secret Archives prove that Pope Pius XII helped to save thousands of Jews during the Second World … Continue reading
Quite often of late and by many we have had opportunity to discuss the "communications skills" of Holy Mother the Catholic Church in its "official" voice. I found this interesting entry at ragan.com. Some of the language is a little … Continue reading
For your Lenten spiritual warfare, here are two version of the Via Crucis, the Way or Stations of the Cross, by St. Alphonsus Liguori. If people a truly impeded from going to a church, chapel or place where the Stations … Continue reading
REPOST: Are you thinking about what you will do for this season of spiritual warfare? Here is the Holy Father’s message for Lent 2009 My emphases and comments. Dear Brothers and Sisters! At the beginning of Lent, which constitutes an … Continue reading
Here is a Declaration from SSPX Bp. Williamson released by the Pontifical Commission Ecclesia Dei. DECLARATION The Holy Father and my Superior, Bishop Bernard Fellay, have requested that I reconsider the remarks I made on Swedish television four months ago, … Continue reading
Scranton’s Bishop, His Excellency Most Reverend Joseph Martino keeps firing on all cylinders. This is in from CNA with my emphases and comments. Bishop asks university to consider closing Diversity Institute Scranton, Pa., Feb 26, 2009 / 03:06 am (CNA).- … Continue reading