Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- adriennep: Yes, even in public schools in the 1960s, Latin was still taught and required for the really smart students, because it was the standard for true education. Even in 1969 Berkeley High....
- teomatteo: ” he has only weakened what little hope LGBTQ Catholics still have for his pontificat e.”& #8211;Jami e The lady doth whineth too much. I heard of a Q-gospel but never heard of no...
- HvonBlumenthal: I was always at the top of my elementary japanese class because the Japanese use of particles placed after the nouns they govern seemed to me not dissimilar to case endings. Thus:...
- ies0716: I first stumbled upon this blog sometime in 2009, if I remember correctly. My wife and I had just gotten married and had started attending St. Agnes in St. Paul, MN (Fr. Z’s home...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: I am really touched people what people have written here. It is good to know that your work makes a difference .
- SanSan: Believe it or not, I went to public school in Southern California (back in the day when CA schools were #1 in the World), and I was required to take Latin I & II during my junior and...
- Philomena Mary: Happy blog anniversar y, Father! I am almost certain I would not be Catholic without your blog – as back in early 2006 it was the first resource I stumbled on when I was...
- Reflector: And one has to greet the horse in particular in spring – “ver e”. There are two stories of an Austrian Bishop who used to speak Latin with his Master of Ceremonies in...
- Kansan: I listen to each ADVENTCAzT 2018 more than once a day. It soothes and reminds me where I was headed. In the secular rush of the season, each one calms my brain. Thank you!
- adriennep: Priests should know Latin because we all came from a classical culture where a true education meant knowing Latin and Greek, along with the study of philosophy , theology, and history...
- Unwilling: There is the old story (via St Boniface d.754) of a priest conferring the Sacrament of Baptism using the words “Bap tizo te in nomine patria et filia et spiritu sancta. 221; It...
- Kathleen10: I’m positive we don’ t stop and consider how much work and effort a blog is. Every day you must feel the responsibi lity to post. It’s like taking care of a child that...
- Greg Hlatky: “In nomine Patris et Filiae et Spiritus SanctiR 30;”
- SanSan: Happy Birthday to your Blog! I have learned so much over the years from you Father Z. You help with the balancing of the Barque of Peter. I love my faith. I love the Mass of the Ages. I...
- SKAY: Thank you Father Z. I listen daily.
- defenderofTruth: Father Z, Congrats on the anniversar y/birthday of this endeavor. Your work has truly blessed me, as it has been instrument al in our work to reestablis h Tradition in this neck of...
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father! Great stuff!
- Gil Garza: Congratula tions, Fr. Z on another year of faithful service on the Interwebs! Thank you for sharing the Gospel and enduring many difficulti es and contradict ions. May God grant you many...
- jaykay: HvonBlumen thal: Hold the horses. I clearly meant “rot ten” in the sense of unsound, as in an unsound structure. Not rotten as in filthy – we knew it was that, altho...
- Markus: Fr. Z, “But I know of great graces that came from those days of Compuserve .” Yes, my wife converted in ’97 (the forum answered a lot of her questions that I could not)....
- HvonBlumenthal: Seriously? You think nobody knew? Not after Hungary 1956, the Bay of Pigs, the Prague Spring, and Solzhenits yn? And now, in our own day, seriously, do you think nobody knows what...
- CaliCatholicGuy: Thank you so much for working so hard for us, your virtual parishione rs after all these years. I thank God that I found the Ask Father? Questionbo x so many years ago and then...
- JamesA: I don’ t know exactly when I first found the blog, Father, but it was very early on, and you accompanie d me as a disillusio ned Anglican to Confirmati on in 2009 and beyond. You have...
- Dimitri_Cavalli: To paraphrase a famous film, “Ano ther Quaalude, and they’ ;ll love the Pope again.R 21;
- Dismas: Considerin g that the ebola virus is now running uncontaine d in a major city, anything goes for how the Lord sorts this mess out, and how long it takes.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Of getting Latin wrong, corrections, and of priests and their Latin or lack thereof
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 08: Egocentrics and God’s gifts
- A conflicted Fishwrap v. Francis on homosexuals in seminary and priesthood
- On this day in 2005 …
- Help a young entrepreneur!
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 07: “If she had not given her ‘Fiat!’…”
- 7 Dec – Titanic, intriguing St Ambrose of Milan, bishop and doctor
- UPDATE on injuries and recovery with heartfelt thanks
- Solemn Requiem for @BishopMorlino in @MadisonDiocese
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 06: Our Lord will appear in His humanity so that He can be seen by the just and the wicked
- VIDEO – Funeral of @BishopMorlino of @MadisonDiocese
- Latin Mass Society of England & Wales @latinmassuk – Re-upping!
- Recent Registration
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 05: The priest, John the Baptist, points toward Jesus
- New art from Daniel MITSUI – great gift idea
- After the funeral of @BishopMorlino of @MadisonDiocese
- ASK FATHER: Can we cook with or drink Holy Water?
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 04: Your God of the Second Chance
- Sending snail-mail 2018 Christmas cards
- TAMPA: A TLM at a Jesuit school?!?
- The Exequies for @BishopMorlino in @MadisonDiocese
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 03: “take heed of the example of the prince of rebellion”
- And now a message from fictional priest Fr. Charles “Chuck” O’Malley
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 02: The time of silent apostasy
- My View For Awhile: Au revoir Edition
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 01: Exceeding great Love
- ASK FATHER: Why should a Protestant convert and join the Catholic Church?
- Francis: Homosexuals “should not be accepted into the ministry or consecrated life.”
- Prayer Request from Fr. Z – UPDATE
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 00: The mysteries don’t change, but each year we are different
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Daily Archives: 18 March 2009
Wall-E’s got nuthin’ on these guys!
This is from the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif.
18 March 2009
One Mars Rover Sees a Distant Goal; The Other Takes a New Route
PASADENA, Calif. — On a plain that stretches for miles in every … Continue reading
The other day the Pope wrote this:
At times one gets the impression that our society needs to have at least one group to which no tolerance may be shown; which one can easily attack and hate. And should someone dare … Continue reading
On the site of the liberal US News & World Report another of the progressivist element’s useful idiots blasted away at the Holy Father because of what is now becoming a spittle-flected talking point for the left.
Bonnie Erbe, whoever … Continue reading
Do you remember how I wrote here that lefties the won’t be satisfied until the Pope stands on the balcony of St. Peter’s Basilica and showers the crowds with condoms?
Newsweek posted an op-ed of anti-Catholic religious bigotry on the Guest Spot of "On Faith" written by Robert S. McElvaine, a professor at Millsaps College, associated with the United Methodist Church.
Arter reading this, ou will probably agree that this man’s … Continue reading
I received by mail a book from The Continuum Publishing Group of London who have reprinted The Layman’s Missal and Prayer Book originally printed by Burns & Oates.
This is very compact volume which has the texts for Holy Mass and … Continue reading
The ultra-lefty dissenting NCR has a story in defensive of – gasp – someone who seems to be a dissenter.
My emphases and comments.
Wisconsin parish worker fired for feminist views
Allowed no opportunity for defense … Continue reading
I received this from a reader. Fascinating!
According to the web site of Una Voce Rhode Island, there will be a Procession and Mass in the Rite of Braga.
This will take place on April 5, 2009, Palm Sunday, at 11:00am. … Continue reading
A great story. I think it defines the sides pretty well.
I reproduce this from Rorate:
Former Prime Minister of France speaks his mind to France Culture about Benedict XVI
Former Prime Minister Alain Juppé (UMP), interviewed Wednesday by France Culture … Continue reading
My energies and time are rather limited at the moment, so I may not give much space to issues of the Holy Father’s trip to Africa.
Still… the relative lack of interest shown by the secular media is interesting.
I suspect there … Continue reading