His Hermeneuticalness has a very good commentary on The Tablet.
Founded in 1840, the Tablet has been through various different hands, being owned by the hierarchy for several decades, sold to a group of laity by Cardinal Hinsley in 1935, and taken on by “The Tablet Trust” in 1976. Its greatest period was under the Douglas Woodruff who edited the paper from 1936 to 1967. Reading through some back numbers from 1967-1968, it is evident that there was increasing pressure for a change in the Church’s teaching regarding the morality of contraception; but the issue of 3 August 1968 marked the definitive break.
Fr. Finigan concludes:
Tabula delenda est.