Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- richiedel: Thought-pr ovoking to read this homily wherein ad orientem may be analogousl y interprete d as turning to the light and, versus populum, to the darkness. Given the metaphors for what...
- Ave Maria: Isn’ t that incredible ! Deo gratias for this priest!
- jaykay: Thank you so much for this, Father. I was there with our Irish pilgrimage Chapter, and we got into the Cathedral for the Mass. Unfortunat ely, between extreme tiredness and defici...
- Lorra: “Why aren’t more doing that?̶ 1; Some of us are in dioceses that aren’ ;t friendly to this. We do the best we can. My diocese hasn’ ;t had an ordination now for years due...
- ChrisP: Papabile 8230;compl etely. Please Eternal Trinity – let him be so.
- RichR: In fact, the last thing that MCs need in a Mass is a proactive bishop. LOL! Very true. As a server at our EF Mass and someone who will soon be trained as MC, I would encourage bishops to...
- yatzer: Wow! No wonder someone was moved to tears.
- Ave Maria: Marvelous! I was speaking with a friend yesterday who belongs to a FSSP parish and she was saying what a difference it has made in her spiritual life. She said that she never prayed the...
- Spinmamma: I have always loved T.S. Eliot. One of his poems that has haunted me since I first encountere d it- Lo these many years ago-is “Ash Wednesday. ” Another “Ger ontion&...
- Semper Gumby: sallyr: Good point you make about tornadoes and your facility. It is unfortunat e that after a widespread catastroph ic event (EMP, CME, pandemic, etc.), nursing homes and hospit...
- maternalView: “aft er years of prayer, fasting, fundraisin g, and more prayerR 21; That is the answer. Why aren’ ;t more doing that?
- maternalView: The Church would not teach SSA is disordered if people were “mad e that way” . Spend sometime reading the blogs of SSA people and you will see many many of the same...
- The Masked Chicken: Yet, another school shooting. Yet more explanatio ns. David French cites the Threshold Theory of Mark Granvetter , developed in 1978 as an explanatio n. French writes: “In the...
- Sconnius: Wow… Praise God!
- maternalView: Yes all the things Farher Z suggests are part of the problem. (Also several of these individual s were consumers of pornograph y. ) It is cultural and social problem. People that age...
- The Egyptian: stunning, clean lines yet classical, who says modern architectu re cannot be made to look reverent and holy, and I bet it was not a “mil lion” ; dollar project either Now...
- KAS: I think that primarily the demonic is behind every bit of the social engineerin g that is leading to the violence in society. I do not think it is computer games to blame, I think it is the...
- maternalView: I was happy our prayer of the faithful included a petition that Ireland will vote to retain its 8th amendment and reject abortion.
- maternalView: Our priest recently told the story of the Chinese Eucharisti c martyr who inspired Bishop Sheen to make Eucharisti c holy hours. In China about 1900 an 11-year old discovered 32...
- Benedict Joseph: jhayes: Can anyone imagine his statement being attributed to any other Pope in history and finding it believable ? In the face of being so grossly “misunders tood” one would have...
- Imrahil: I once found a host on the floor myself, after a weekday Mass I attended. I am not quite sure It/it was consecrate d, though, but obviously I don’ t see how an unconsecra ted host...
- Ms. M-S: Should not knowing Latin well appear at first to be a stumbling block, it can be pretty readily dismissed. There are no native speakers of Church Latin so no one has a foreign accent when...
- acardnal: jhayes, in fairness let’ s quote the Catechism in full regarding homosexual ity : Chastity and homosexual ity 2357 Homosexual ity refers to relations between men or between women...
- Fr. Reader: Not related to the homily. I have always loved the vestments of the deacons.
- Fr. Kelly: Fr. Sotelo says: I don’t think he needs to be anonymous, with a nome de plume. He has nothing to be ashamed of, and he cannot be silenced unless he lives in North Korea or Cuba. We have...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Pope’s words about God making someone “gay”
- Some cool stuff, old and new, in Rome and Detroit
- @Card_R_Sarah terrific sermon for Pentecost and pilgrimage
- A Bishop calls on his brother Bishops to celebrate the Traditional Pontifical Mass, TLM
- “I originally sent you this story 8 years ago, for the brick by brick file…” UPDATE
- “Where there is no temple there shall be no homes.”
- Pastor Iuventus on the appalling Met “Gay-la”
- Chilling – probably correct – explanation of mass school shootings
- A Pentecost Monday lesson: “And Paul VI wept.”
- WDTPRS – Pentecost Sunday: that strong stable edge
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- BACK IN PRINT! The Heresy of Formlessness
- My View For Awhile: Creston Edition
- “I used to think hosts found on floors was Traditional Catholic hyperbole…”
- Monday after Pentecost: Memorial of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of the Church – TEXTS
- Bp. Schneider’s terrific talk in Rome – ACTION ITEM!
- ASK FATHER: As a lay woman, should I have a “Mass kit” in my “Bug Out Bag”?
- @JamesMartinSJ can also amuse
- I have bad news and good news: Scouts and Troops
- Darío Card. Castrillón Hoyos, former Pres. of the Pont. Comm. “Ecclesia Dei” – RIP
- Bp. Schneider on the Met “Gay-la”
- BOOKS RECEIVED: Peter Kreeft and 2018 Ignatius Pew Missal
- VIDEOS: Lessons in how properly to fold a cassock
- VIDEO: Military pilgrimage to Lourdes
- Fascinating and sad: transcript of 1976 meeting of Paul VI and SSPX Archbp. Lefebvre
- A light TEOTWAWKI moment
- @ArchbishpSample to make liturgical changes in the @archpdx
- “The Council that might have been…” but wasn’t.
- INTERNET PRAYER UPDATE: MALAYALAM
- Justice Thomas delievers commencement address
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Monthly Archives: April 2009
From the "Letter to Benefactors" of the SSPX from SSPX Superior Bp. Bernard Fellay.
Some of the usual stuff, some very good points and finally a great idea.
My emphases and comments.
LETTER TO FRIENDS AND BENEFACTORS … Continue reading
From The New York Post
My emphases and comments:
‘TAMPER WITH MARRIAGE & WE’RE IN BIG TROUBLE’
By DAN MANGAN
April 23, 2009 —
Archbishop Timothy Dolan yesterday said advocates of gay marriage "are asking for trouble," arguing that traditional, one-man/one-woman marriage is rooted in … Continue reading
I had this from a reader, with my emphases and comments.
Does this eye-opening piece by Jeffrey Tucker … at NLM bear further comment?
Can Hymns Licitly Replace Propers?
In short, in 1969 the [Bugnini] Consilium was asked this question. Their … Continue reading
From a reader:
How many parishes observed this feast day of St. Mark with the traditional procession chanting the litany of the saints?
Ours followed a sung ad orientem Novus Ordo Mass with incense and Kyrie (Gr.), Sanctus, Mysterium Fidei, Per … Continue reading
This is in The Telegraph:
Cardinal John Newman poised for beatification after rulingThe Vatican has cleared the way for the beatification of John Henry Newman, the English Roman Catholic Cardinal.
By Simon CaldwellLast Updated: 4:29PM BST 24 Apr 2009
A panel of theological … Continue reading
The other day we were talking about candles and their composition.
You know the old phrase… don not try this at home?
From a priest reader:
Fr Z. now that altars are becoming higher and higher, so to speak, some practical difficulties ensue. I … Continue reading
On the blog Ten Reasons I learned of the following.
I had posted about "Catholic Democrats" here. This is a group that sets polling over doctrine.
Now something is brewing in Ohio.
First, we look at this story in the Cincinnati Enquirer.
Archbishop … Continue reading
I want one of these. I will use it while driving the 789.
While the US Air Force is dead set on shooting down missiles with airborne lasers, it looks like their colleagues in the Army are busy cooking up a … Continue reading
NOTE CONCERNING PUBLICATION OF DOCUMENTS ON PIUS XII
VATICAN CITY, 24 APR 2009 (VIS) – The Press and Information Office of the Society of Jesus (Jesuits) today issued a note concerning a news item carried by certain communications media … Continue reading