Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Charivari Rob: “You rs sincerely& #8221; Way to stay classy, Maureen. In a civil society, form must be observed. “we can only judge by Maureen’s own account. 8221; Why would anyone...
- BrionyB: Perhaps Fr Rynne does have what some would call a ‘difficult personalit y’ – I have heard he requested to go to this parish knowing that it would be a challenge, which suggests he...
- Fallibilissimo: Well, that’ ;s impressive . Looking at those young people together, holding each other, singing in a great big circle reminds me of something Gustave Doré would engrave from...
- bookworm: Oh wow, I wish I’d been there! There was also a HUGE pro-life rally earlier this week (Wednesday , March 20) that drew over 3,000 peopleR 30;. between that crowd, a smaller...
- MaHrad: All the more reason to make sure we tell good priests how much we appreciate what they do and how they put themselves on the line. A lot of us don’ t realize how much heat they take...
- mo7: She sounds like Susan from the parish council. lol Today the Cardinal Archbishop of New York recommende d a book by Cdl. John Henry Newman and apologized for it Latin title, so Maureen is just...
- aviva meriam: Pray for priests. Exaggerati on and false moral equivalenc e are unhelpful. Jewish Tradition teaches that one of the ways humanity was created in God’ s image is in our ability...
- Beltway Catholic: Maureen’s bile-fille d bitterness is perhaps a necessary, though not a sufficient , condition, to laud the young priest. Her letter is firstly evidence of her own malice ill will...
- Beltway Catholic: Maureen’s bile-fille d bitterness is perhaps a necessary, though not a sufficient , condition to laud the young priest. Her letter is firstly evidence of her own malice ill will...
- CasaSanBruno: “Lov e of God and fellow man is the way to heavenR 21;, so says she. I hope she finds it.
- Beltway Catholic: Maureen’s bile-fille d bitterness is perhaps a necessary, though not a sufficient , condition to laud the young priest. Her letter is evidence of her own malice and I’ll will...
- Spinmamma: I cannot imagine writing such a letter to ANYONE, much less a priest. Perhaps Madame Maureen would feel better if she re read the admonition of St. Paul regarding love. I must say,...
- un-ionized: Threeheart s, you are very brave, I was run out of a parish by receiving something like the letter above from my pastor. The same passive aggressive bullying, with added threats that he...
- Fr. Richard Heilman: For those jumping to the conclusion that the priest handled the situation poorly. Realize this is why many priests choose not to go in the direction this priest did. Why?...
- Fr Richard Duncan CO: From the Doctor Angelicus: Whether railing or reviling is always a mortal sin (II-II:72: 2) Words are injurious to other persons, not as sounds, but as signs, and this signi...
- THREEHEARTS: i have written this on many blogs but would like to add what I missed out on them. I knelt for communion and the feminine schismatic s complained , the priest ordered me to go to...
- Augustine Thompson O.P.: Somehow, in spite of the seeming focus on clerical attire in this letter, I don’ t think that is the central issue provoking such anger. Perhaps the reference to the...
- un-ionized: She plays the anti-Irish card pretty slyly too.
- richiedel: Forgot to mention that the young priest seems to have hit the nail on the head – and struck a chord, for sure – by presenting to his parishione rs, if Maureen 217;s word...
- veritas vincit: Wow, just — wow. I would hate to think this poor woman was abused by a priest, but it’s hard for me to imagine what else produces this level of vitriol toward a Catho...
- APX: Not to discount the evidently sorry state of the parish at which he found himself, but it could be that he has handled the situation poorly. Even if he did, that still doesn’t warrant such...
- Liz: p.s. We will add the first priest to our list of priests we pray for as well.
- richiedel: Maureen is very likely operating from the assumption that the young priest thrives in his orthodoxy by the approval of others around him, as from that from his own little cabal of rad...
- Liz: This is so so awful, and yes, I still want my son(s) to be priest(s) (in “dre sses” ;)! Sometimes my motherR 17;s heart gets a little squeamish, but I know God will take care of...
- Patrick71: Let’ s also pray for Maureen and all our Catholic brothers and sisters who have been so deceived (often by their shepherds) all these years.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Vicious letter to a young, faithful priest
- LENTCAzT 2019 18 – Saturday in the 2nd Week: God chooses the weak
- STOP THE PRESSES: Young people sing in the Illinois State Capitol
- Study Commission: no evidence women were ordained to the diaconate
- Your Good News – UPDATED
- Dots to connect
- STATIONS OF THE CROSS – Audio from Fr. Z
- LENTCAzT 2019 17 – Friday in the 2nd Week: The most efficacious devotion?
- Wherein Fr. Z makes an appeal to the readership
- “Dear Fathers, dear seminarians…” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- LENTCAzT 2019 16 – Thursday in the 2nd Week: “Don’t give me heaven! Instead give me…”
- George Weigel on “Two Georges” and future persecution
- Francis’ Triduum Schedule: strange lacuna
- Bp. Schneider: On the question of a heretical pope
- ASK FATHER: Father doses off during Mass
- LENTCAzT 2019 15 – Wednesday in the 2nd Week: Card. Burke
- Officially BADASS CATHOLIC PHOTO
- Germany: More dissent from nuns
- “Te, Ioseph celebrent”, a hymn in honor of the Terror of Demons
- CRISIS: Keen analysis of the implosion of the German Church
- LENTCAzT 2019 14 – Tuesday in the 2nd Week: Glorious St. Joseph!
- Lighter fare
- Wherein Fr. Z rants about Hell and sin and Enemy of the soul
- LENTCAzT 2019 13 – Monday in the 2nd Week: Kneeling at Mass, its actual liturgical function
- “You just want the 1950’s back!”
- ASK FATHER: How can eating desserts during Lent be fasting? Would Jesus eat desserts?
- News from the great Benedictines at Norcia: building, dogs, liturgy, beer
- ASK FATHER: A question about a marriage situation (not mine)
- How to spot a good preacher
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Monthly Archives: May 2009
I wonder about these terms… which we will be hearing and reading often in the coming days. What is the difference of impact between pro-life and anti-abortion What do these terms really say? What are people trying to convey by … Continue reading
From AP via FoxNews: My emphases and comments: Pro-Life Groups Fear Backlash After Tiller MurderMany anti-abortion groups condemned the killing of Tiller, a prominent abortion provider who was shot dead at his church in Wichita, Kansas. But they expressed concern … Continue reading
I await with anxiety the inevitable capture of the person who shot George Tiller to death. Tiller will now be lifted up in mockery of authentic martyrdom. I hope to God his murderer is not Catholic. I am supposing he … Continue reading
All… the NYT has this story. The infamous late-term abortionist Dr. George Tiller was shot and killed today in his church. WDTPRS deplores this violence. Furthermore, this will bring horrific blow-back down on the entire pro-life movement. Abortion Doctor Shot … Continue reading
From a reader: A traditional Latin Missa Cantata (Mass in the Extraordinary Form) has been scheduled for 3:00 PM on Sunday, June 28, 2009 in anticipation of the Feast of Sts. Peter and Paul at the Church of St. Paul, … Continue reading
I wrote about the letter of the Pontifical Commission Ecclesia Dei about the use of the traditional form of the Ambrosian Rite. Now there is an article in Il Giornale about the issue. n. 131 del 2009-05-31 pagina 4 «La … Continue reading
From a skype conversation with one of my witty interlocutors: "[08:31 AM] … : Next week in the Novus Ordo is Trinity Sunday. We hate these dogmatic "theme" Sundays. People could care less about dogma. I wish the Novus Ordo … Continue reading
In this PODCAzT we will look into the new Year of Priests announced by Pope Benedict XVI and the indulgence priests and lay faithful can gain each in their own ways. Then, I will start what I hope to carry … Continue reading
You might have missed had Catholic Church Conservation not been vigilant. Yes, YouTube has video produced by the infamous St. Joan of Arch parish in Minneapolis on the occasion of their Earth Day celebration! Look at it as a sort … Continue reading
Under another entry commenters went down the rabbit… but with a good topic for discussion. Orchestral music for Holy Mass…. Mozart Masses, Schubert, Haydn, Gounod, Faure, Reinberger, etc. Kosher for the Roman Rite? Not Kosher?
Last Thursday was the Feast of the Ascension. Today is the Vigil of Pentecost. The original NOVENA is underway. Pray to the Holy Spirit. Come, Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of Your faithful, and enkindle in them the fire of … Continue reading
Welcome to another installment of What Does the Prayer Really Sound Like? Today we will learn the antiphons, orations and readings, sequence, preface and proper parts of the Roman Canon for Pentecost in the 1962 Missale Romanum. In this installment … Continue reading
From a reader: Rev. Mr. Charles White IV is to be ordained priest for the Archdiocese of Detroit by Archbishop Allen H. Vigneron on Saturday, May 30th. His first Mass as celebrant, will be in the Extraordinary Form – a … Continue reading
On Thursday, 29 May there was a very interesting "discussion" held by Catholic University of America on "The Obama Administration and the Sanctity of Human Life: Is there a common ground on life issue? What is the right response by … Continue reading