Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Chuck4247: Thank you for the story behind the Christolog ical Goldfinch. I hadn’ ;t heard it before, in spite of numerous references on this blog.
- tamranthor: So, were I to put my faith in this article, I could, by rights, shoot the author, and then apologize, because while I may have committed murder, I did so out of devotion to the Church...
- tamranthor: I’m quite certain that the Pope ascertaine d that both participan ts were in a state of grace prior to commencing the ceremony. Okay, that’ ;s just snarky, but his behav...
- Geoffrey: If this report is accurate, I am pleasantly surprised that Pope “Fra ncis asked them if they were married in the ChurchR 21;. How many clergy would just ignore a coupleR 17;s...
- Akita: Another cause for sorrow in the demolition of the sacraments . Appearance s count. God gave us senses to discern. This is the trivializa tion of a sacrament. Many priests will suffer on...
- Suburbanbanshee: If we lived in an unfallen world, and if all unfallen humans had done their job of taming the earth, all of nature would be a consecrate d part of God’ s cosmic temple. But...
- Suburbanbanshee: 1 answer – “Do I look like the Pope? Heh, maybe he can dispense himself, but my bishop can’ t, and neither can I.” Complicate d answer- Explain the meaning...
- Imrahil: This may be one of my very occasional departures into scrupulosi ty, but if God made or allowed me to remember a mortal sin (or an at least venial sin which I really suspect could have...
- Aquinas Gal: I used to dread papal airplane trips because of what the pope might say. Now I dread them also because of what he might do!
- APX: Is this going to be known as the era of the Avion Popes? The Avion Papacy? Where is our modern day St. Catherine of Siena?
- Semper Gumby: PostCathol ic: Due to the moderation queue I just read your comment of 19 Jan. at 1:14 am. Your admission of your mistake regarding the number of Twitter employees is commendabl e....
- Ave Crux: @frjim4321 : what we don’ t know is actually the problem 230; Saint Francis of Assisi (ironicall y the Pope’ ;s namesake) said that one must avoid even the *appearanc e* of...
- The Masked Chicken: The couple had been civilly married for eight years. Obviously, they did not feel any urgency to get married, sacramenta lly. This, in itself, shows poor formation with regards...
- Blas: Do flying companies allow married workers fly the same plane?
- frjim4321: When I think of all the time and effort I put into marriage preparatio n (and annulment work) I can’ t help but think this was a trivializa tion of a sacrament. On the other hand,...
- Eugene: Once again the supreme law keeper becomes a law breaker, anyone remember washing of womens’ feet before he changed the rule. Nothing matters anymore. So much for me as a father of a family...
- Semper Gumby: PostCathol ic wrote on 17 Jan. at 4:25pm: “ 230;itR 17;s another of their hoaxes. 221; Actually, as made clear in numerous news reports (left or right politicall y), it...
- PostCatholic: I learned that I was wrong. My recollecti on of 400 employees as the approximat e size of Twitter (I had a business meeting in 2012 at their offices) is out of date and the company...
- jbazchicago: individual
- jbazchicago: Clericalis m is “a failure to realize that the mission belongs to the entire Church, and not to the indupividu al priest or bishop” -Pope Francis
- FrJsignal: I have already been asked, tonight, by a parishione r, why weddings need to be in churches if the Pope can celebrate them on planes. I had not even seen the news before the question came...
- Grant M: It’s the Gretna Greening of the Catholic Church.
- richiedel: “The decision to marry should never be encouraged unless the couple has discerned deeper reasons that will ensure a genuine and stable commitment .” – Pope Franc...
- Ave Crux: Yes, I thought – as Father Andrew confirms above – that receiving the Sacrament of Matrimony without the benefit of a valid Absolution in Confession would be a sacrilege, even...
- pseudomodo: Why does everything have to happen on an airplane ? Is this going to be known as the era of the Avion Popes?
CLICK and say your daily offering!
- DC March for Life 2018 – DAY 1: Paintings and plots
- Canonist Ed Peters on the Papal mid-air airplane nuptials
- The Pope marries a couple on the papal airplane. Hmmm.
- Big Business Is WATCHING!
- My View For Awhile: March For Life 2018 Edition
- “The Triumph of Marcantonio Colonna” described
- ASK FATHER: Would anything prevent a priest from always using the traditional formula of absolution?
- 2 Feb – MADISON – Candlemas – Pontifical Mass at the Throne
- Card. Müller on authority of Popes, possibility of others correcting contradictory papal teachings
- ASK FATHER: If I remember a sin after confessing, should I interrupt the priest and tell him?
- Slithery misdirection from the National Sodomitical Reporter: Bishops who avoid scandal commit scandal
- An Armenian bishop “ordains” a deaconette
- Two seriously ugly signs of the times involving papal honors and the silencing of bells
- BOOK RECEIVED about Martin Luther (not King but by “King”)
- ASK FATHER: How do I find out which territorial parish I live in?
- Who cares what libs think? Boldly recover and use great traditional items and vesture of yore.
- ASK FATHER: If I confess to watching porn, must I say it was homosexual porn?
- ACTION ITEM! Petition against removal of historic Cross where Fr. Marquette died
- ASK FATHER: We want our children to have reverent Masses. Can we go to the SSPX chapel?
- VIDEO Bp. Athanasius Schneider interview about “Amoris laetitia” Controversy
- ASK FATHER: Should I tell a noisy penitent that we can hear everything said in the confessional?
- Observing the Feast of the Ass – 14 January
- A false #missilethreat is NOTHING compared to this REAL DEATH THREAT
- 14 Jan – Happy Feast of the Ass!
- Fr. Murray on EWTN with outstanding commentary on recent developments
- Wherein Fr. Z comments on a @RorateCaeli post about priests, permissions and exorcism prayers. Then @fatherz rants.
- Wherein @MassimoFaggioli tosses another nastygram at the “rigorist” straw man
- ASK FATHER: URGENT EMERGENCY PREDICAMENT! Mass in Presence of a Prelate but we don’t have a Pax Brede!
- How bad is the situation of vocations to the priesthood tragic Germany?
- Esolen on virtue and chastity in “Wonder Woman” (not the one you immediately thought of)
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Daily Archives: 6 May 2009
From the blog And Sometimes Tea. My emphases:
It has been ten years since photographer Michael Clancy, then pro-choice, took some pictures during a fetal surgery that changed his mind about abortion. And that famous picture is still changing minds and … Continue reading
I think we need some happy news!
From The Washington Post we have this slithery piece from Thomas Reese, SJ:
Memo to Bishops: Most Catholics Aren’t Listening
THIS CATHOLIC’S VIEW
By Thomas J. Reese, S.J.
During the 2008 presidential campaign, there was a steady drumbeat of opposition to Barack Obama from … Continue reading
Have you watched this yet?The Hunt For Gollum
From a reader. My emphases:
I thought you would find the following interesting. I was at a meeting at my NO parish last night and found this small book obviously being used by the youth ccd director. I’m sure it is … Continue reading
Vatican Swiss Guards consider opening to women
By NICOLE WINFIELD, Associated Press Writer Nicole Winfield, Associated Press Writer – Wed May 6, 7:16 am ET
VATICAN CITY – The Vatican’s Swiss Guards will swear in 32 new recruits Wednesday amid suggestions from … Continue reading
A reader sent a question. I consulted a canonist for the answer:
Can you discuss the role that parishes play for most Catholics in worship? In particular, I wanted to know the duty that people had to join their territorial parish, … Continue reading
Have you ever seen a priest/celebrant during Mass receive Communion after everyone else?
I have. And the answer I was given was… I am not making this up… "It is rude not to serve your guests first."
The April Newsletter of … Continue reading
The April Newsletter of the USCCB’s Committee on Divine Worship is out.
There is an interesting article about the new printing of the Missale Romanum. There are corrections of spelling, grammatical and typographical errors.
Holy See Issues Emended Missale Romanum, editio typica … Continue reading
The April Newsletter of the USCCB’s Committee on Divine Worship is out.
Inter alia there is an article entitle, "Ten Questions on Influenza/Swine Flu and the Liturgy"
After Q&A about how influenza is transmitted, in #8 we are told that Ministers of … Continue reading
I mentioned the other day that I had seen Mr. Indigo Bunting.
This morning he showed up again on the farther feeder, but I had the camera with the zoom handy.
He thinks he is an Oriole…
In the meantime, why did the … Continue reading
Among the various bloggy/webby awards out there, don’t forget the Eastern Christian New Media Awards.