Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- DMorgan: And it goes on. I cannot see a soft landing to this free fall short of Divine interventi on Father. And yet, The Perennial teachings still hold.
- monstrance: What’s motivates a bishop to behave in this manner ? To whom or what is he catering to ? A priest at my previous parish demanded that the Eucharist was received in the hand. If you...
- JustaSinner: Vatican coup d’etat!
- HvonBlumenthal: Can any expert in doctrinal history confirm my suspicion that Francis is the first Pope to use the phrase (or even the concept of) “my magisteriu m?” And if it is “his” magiste...
- grumpyoldCatholic: Thank you Father. To me this reinforces going to confession … I have to admit that I have had a checkered past. I can sleep at night. The protestant s don’ t know...
- Sonshine135: Father, may I recommend that you also sponsor a Chaplet of Divine Reparation before the particular Mass? It should be made clearly known that sacrilege is occurring during that Mass....
- Nicholas: No tail number? Meeting with other, unnamed priests tonight? With an unspecifie d big event tomorrow? Sounds like another Vatican vampire slaying adventure.
- AA Cunningham: I did not suggest that I consider this situation acceptable . jflare29 says: 18 December 2018 at 2:00 AM “Have ushers on either side of the priest distributi ng…..” I understand the...
- Titus: This is why there should be bright-lin e rules, like “no ecclesiast ical funerals for suicides,& #8221; or perhaps, moderated but still bright-lin e, “no homilies at ecclesi...
- William: Is the redundancy “pri est confessor& #8221; a common term? In the context of a church like this, I worry that there may be such a thing as a “lay confessor. ” At least I...
- RKR: Listened , as everyday, via this post. Thank you for doing this!
- semperficatholic: When I attend Mass I sit on the front pew; I was raised on the front pew and I raised my kids and granddaugh ter on the front pew, so it is easy to watch folks as I am speaking to...
- JonPatrick: Thanks Father. The piece by St. John Chrysostom was outstandin g. If only today̵ 7;s preachers were as clear. I listened via the plug-in in the post.
- Suburbanbanshee: Oh, and of course don’ t forget to find out if there are Byzantine Rite kids who have a right to receive, to prevent stopping them. I do not think they are ever the problem.
- Suburbanbanshee: I like Fr. Z’s idea. It is perfectly normal to have one Communion line, even if it is no longer usual. And there is no reason to let it devolve into any kind of passive...
- DMorgan: Thank you Father.
- jflare29: AA, I did not suggest that I consider this situation acceptable . Rather, I’m pointing out how the context indicates that much of the conflict has been resolved already. Negativ...
- Sword40: Look forward to these talks every day. God Bless
- MrsMacD: Thank you for the link to the story, Father. I copied and pasted the prayer of the three men in the fiery furnace and posted it in my bathroom, for the family to read, in order to lift...
- MrsMacD: I suggest Catechizin g parishione rs about why receiving on the tongue was originally instituted and who/what Jesus is in the blessed Sacrament, both as an insert in the bulletin and from...
- jflare29: I’m struck by a thought that, …thi s sort of reaction to a homily helps explain why otherwise good priests may go so terribly bad. In the years since Pope Francis 217;...
- Hidden One: It’s good to see the text. It seems like a pretty good homily! I’m sure I could nit-pick here or there, but I can’ t be certain that any change I might suggest would...
- Hidden One: I like Father Z’s idea. “Und uly prolonged& #8221; is a long time. When distributi ng Communion in the OF, I categorica lly do not distribute the Host to someone until the...
- AA Cunningham: I understand the idea in mind, yet I think this a remarkably bad idea. Negative reinforcem ent in this sort of context usually more provokes battles, not satisfacto ry resolution s....
- John the Mad: At my parish in Ontario one has the option of receiving in the hand or on the tongue. Additional ly, there are prie dieu available to allow parishione rs to kneel to receive on the...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- More news from Rome concerning communications
- My View For Awhile: Penultimate Edition
- Development of Doctrine? Fr. Hunwicke breaks it down barney style.
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 17: Conscience and You
- ASK FATHER: Even after continuous sacrileges, Bishop forces Communion in the hand
- A Rorate Mass for UW students
- Priest preaches at funeral, world falls on his head – UPDATE – HOMILY TEXT
- 17 Dec: St. Daniel and the Furnace Boys
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 16: O Antiphons
- Advent Penance Service Idiocy
- POLL: Gaudete Rose Vestments and Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- ASK FATHER: Pastor says “Gaudete Sunday, is no more”
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 15: Joyful Longing, Longing Joy
- UPDATE: Sending snail-mail 2018 Christmas cards
- My View For Awhile: Limping Homeward
- Newly born religious groups, strangled in their cradles
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 14: LIBERALS!
- WDTPRS – Gaudete Sunday: “good news” of the chaff’s destiny in “unquenchable fire”
- Fast growth in Paganism, Wicca (the joke that is no joke)
- VIDEO: The new church of Gower Abbey (and the Extraordinary Ordinary)
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 13: The Dirty Bucket
- Priests and bishops who are probably going to Hell
- End of year 2018 charitable giving and YOU. A suggestion.
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 12: Patience
- Holy Face of Manoppello, Sankt Gallen, “designer babies”
- Card. Müller’s interview about Church and theology in Germany
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 11: Hark! a gladsome voice is thrilling
- TERRIFIC! School Choir accomplished, back to back, Solemn Roman and Eastern liturgy!
- NYC Day 1: Of Borscht and Buttons
- “If only women were in leadership positions…”
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Daily Archives: 6 May 2009
From the blog And Sometimes Tea. My emphases:
It has been ten years since photographer Michael Clancy, then pro-choice, took some pictures during a fetal surgery that changed his mind about abortion. And that famous picture is still changing minds and … Continue reading
I think we need some happy news!
From The Washington Post we have this slithery piece from Thomas Reese, SJ:
Memo to Bishops: Most Catholics Aren’t Listening
THIS CATHOLIC’S VIEW
By Thomas J. Reese, S.J.
During the 2008 presidential campaign, there was a steady drumbeat of opposition to Barack Obama from … Continue reading
Have you watched this yet?The Hunt For Gollum
From a reader. My emphases:
I thought you would find the following interesting. I was at a meeting at my NO parish last night and found this small book obviously being used by the youth ccd director. I’m sure it is … Continue reading
Vatican Swiss Guards consider opening to women
By NICOLE WINFIELD, Associated Press Writer Nicole Winfield, Associated Press Writer – Wed May 6, 7:16 am ET
VATICAN CITY – The Vatican’s Swiss Guards will swear in 32 new recruits Wednesday amid suggestions from … Continue reading
A reader sent a question. I consulted a canonist for the answer:
Can you discuss the role that parishes play for most Catholics in worship? In particular, I wanted to know the duty that people had to join their territorial parish, … Continue reading
Have you ever seen a priest/celebrant during Mass receive Communion after everyone else?
I have. And the answer I was given was… I am not making this up… "It is rude not to serve your guests first."
The April Newsletter of … Continue reading
The April Newsletter of the USCCB’s Committee on Divine Worship is out.
There is an interesting article about the new printing of the Missale Romanum. There are corrections of spelling, grammatical and typographical errors.
Holy See Issues Emended Missale Romanum, editio typica … Continue reading
The April Newsletter of the USCCB’s Committee on Divine Worship is out.
Inter alia there is an article entitle, "Ten Questions on Influenza/Swine Flu and the Liturgy"
After Q&A about how influenza is transmitted, in #8 we are told that Ministers of … Continue reading
I mentioned the other day that I had seen Mr. Indigo Bunting.
This morning he showed up again on the farther feeder, but I had the camera with the zoom handy.
He thinks he is an Oriole…
In the meantime, why did the … Continue reading
Among the various bloggy/webby awards out there, don’t forget the Eastern Christian New Media Awards.