HAM RADIO W9FRZ STATUS
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
I had to change the way that people go to amazon to buy things because... you know... why make it easy?. So, just click the link below. Once you're in, you're good to shop.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
Fr. Z’s Blog is a Founding Member of…
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- acardnal: I really enjoy reading those humorous church signs. I think I would have posted, “Too Hot to Keep Changing Sign but Remember, Hell is Hotter! 221; Dr. Bergsma is very knowled...
- jaykay: So glad to see from other very interestin g posts that the conference seems to be going so well. CouldnR 17;t resist this take on the post-title – “To Priests: to the East&...
- jaykay: Dear Supertradm um, I will offer the Rosary and Chaplet of Divine Mercy for you and your son. God bless and strengthen you.
- DebbieInCT: Praying the rosary for you, Supertradm um, and your son.
- NancyP: Praying for you and your son, Supertradm um, in gratitude for all you have shared with us here and in hope that God will make His will known to you and that you will be surrounded by love...
- Beltway Catholic: Failure to love one’s neighbors — by withholdin g the offices of friendship without a proportion ate reason, through hatred and vengeance- seeking, through indifferen ce to their...
- Semper Gumby: God bless these nuns. Leftist revolution always leads to slaughter and tyranny. Those who support the “Dem ocrat̶ 1; mob today should give that due considerat ion.
- GHP: Prayers out for you, dear lady! –Guy
- GHP: This clip *always* brings a tear to my eye. … must be dusty in here …..
- robtbrown: Buzz Aldrin is a Presbyteri an–t hus the hosts were not consecrate d.
- Hidden One: We must all remember that then-Abp. Coccopalme rio’ s letter was a letter from an authoritat ive person rather than an authoritat ive letter. As to clerical identity: if the...
- Benedictus: During Albania 217;s communism (which rivaled North Korea), hundreds of priests were murdered. There are 38 blessed martyrs who died shouting “Lon g Live Christ the King....
- KateriK: Dear Supertradm um, Please be assured of my prayers and sufferings offered for you and your son. Please pray for me as well. I hope to meet you someday, God-willin g,in Heaven! May the...
- Mike: Goodness! How sad. I’ve been away from this blog a bit but surely remember STM! I’ll pray for her and her son. O Sacred Heart of Jesus, Hope of those who die in thee, pray for us!
- Kevin: ThanksR 30;.I probably asked the wrong question. :) Which edition is shown in the photo above comparing the hymns?
- TomG: Prayers for this dear lady.
- Semper Gumby: David L Alexander wrote: “Mos t so-called “Catholic vote” groups are little more than shills for the Republican party. If they supported ethnic cleansing, these putzes would...
- aegsemje: I am on my way to adoration now. I will pray for her and her son there.
- benedetta: Praying for you, dear Supertradm um!
- Ellen: I will offer the rosary tonight for you and and your son. May God be with you.
- Zephyrinus: What an utterly marvellous thing The French Revolution was !!! How grateful we should be that such a beautiful “Rev olution 221; showed us how to slaughter innocent Roman...
- BrionyB: I will offer my Rosary and litany for you and your son; may Our Lady comfort and strengthen you both, whatever the coming weeks may bring. “And God shall wipe away all tears from their...
- Charlotte Allen: My prayers.
- Sandy: With tears in my eyes I ask St. Joseph, patron of a happy death, to assist you in this time. May your son be comforted by the Blessed MotherR 17;s arms around him.
- dahveed: Supertradm um, I’m adding you and your son to my regular and Rosary intentions .
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Day – St. Paul Center Priesthood Conference
- 17 July 1794: “Mother, permission to die?”
- URGENT ACTION ITEM: Note from long-time reader who is dying
- 16 July 1969 – #Apollo11 and Our Lady of Mt Carmel
- Day 1 – St. Paul Center Priesthood Conference
- Mark Shea is sad because seminarians are Catholic
- Amazon Prime Day Discounts
- My View For Awhile: To the East and to priests
- Good VIDEO for people who aren’t familiar with the TLM or with our traditions
- ASK FATHER: Sex before Communion
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – GO TO CONFESSION! – VIDEO
- 13 July: St. Ezra (Esdras), Old Testament Prophet and some spectacular baroque musical weirdness
- SSPX video of their amazing new US church project.
- BOOK: In Praise of the Tridentine Mass and of Latin, Language of the Church
- WDTPRS – 15th Ordinary Sunday: Too far right or too far left, we wind up in the ditch in the dark
- “Damn!”, quoth I. “That’s the spirit.” Coasties getting the job done.
- How credible is “credible” in allegations against priests?
- Tour Talk – #TDF2019 @Le_Tour Stage 6
- What the ‘c’atholic Left is up to on Twitter
- ASK FATHER: Should Catholic parents attend wedding of daughter outside the Church?
- ASK FATHER: “Funeral Liturgy Outside Mass”
- @Church_Militant on the public lynching of Fr. Eduard Perrone
- Really old frozen permafrost critters revived. What could possibly go wrong?
- Tour Talk – 2019 Tour de France
- The Church Militant and You
- William F. Buckley and Fulton Sheen on Firing Line! 1970
- BOOK: The Anti-Mary Exposed: Rescuing the Culture from Toxic Femininity
- ACTION ITEM! Help a traditional deacon get to priesthood. Watch marvelous Fulton Sheen video of 1950 Roman Holy Year
- 07/07/07 – 12th Anniversary of Summorum Pontificum – Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Daily Archives: 18 May 2009
From the site Rinascimento Sacro … this is great, even if you don’t understand Italian. A little boy named "Beniamino", an altar boy, received his 1st Holy Communion. [youtube:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3wBYs2hun0]
Thank you to Vincenzo:
Ventures ‘Neath Aeviternity This reminds me of my drillings into sempiternitas.
This weekend I zoomed to help sick priest who called me a plea for help. In I came for some innings of relief pitching: the Sunday Masses. After the Sunday Masses, in casual conversation, I found three alumni of Notre … Continue reading
I urge all priests and bishops who read this blog with any slight quaver of resonance or benevolence, to consider this with care:
If you sense that something quite serious and important is going on right now, for the love of God rethink your approach to how you foster Holy Church’s proper public worship.
Do all in your power and through your influence to foster a worship of God which conforms not to worldly goals – as praiseworthy as they may be in a world still dominated by its dire prince – but rather to the real point of religion: an encounter with mystery.
Our worship must become more and more focused on the one who is Other. Seek what is truly above in your rites and raise people to encounter mystery.
You will be challenged and reviled, blocked and attacked as you do. You will be worn down and afraid under the weight of resistance.
But I think that to save the world we must save the liturgy.
Sunday reaffirmed this for me.
They can’t compete with the fullness of Catholic liturgy and sound preaching.
Reforming the liturgy along the lines Pope Benedict has proposed may be the most loving and effective option we have in these ever hotter times.
People will have to keep working very much in the sphere of the secular. Of course! Our inward Catholic Christian identity must find outward expression and bring concrete fruits.
But I think the real work now – where we will make some effective headway – must be done at the level of our public worship.
In the present circumstances, we are not going to argue most people out of danger or error. But together we can draw them in and along and back through worship.
So long as we remain doctrinally faithful and active in works of mercy both spiritual and especially temporal, if we get our public worship together we will have a strong bastion against error.
Holy Catholic worship will be an attractive force for conversion.
We need to foster worship which stuns, which leaves the newcomer, long-time practicing Catholic, above all the fallen-away simply thunder stuck. Worship must at some point leave people speechless in awe. We need language and music and gesture which in its beauty floods the mind with light even while it swells the heart to bursting.
The more people encounter mystery through liturgy, the more hollow will clang the false or incomplete messages of those who have strayed from the good path, either to the left or to the right.
Our goal must be that which is good and beautiful because it is true, that which reflects what is of God, not man’s image merely. Give us mystery, not fabrications smacking of the world, fallen and transitory.
Fathers, and you Reverend Bishops, if anything of alarm has sounded in your hearts and minds of late, rethink your approach to our worship. Examine your approach with an eye on the signs of the times. Take a new approach.
The approach we have had least last few decades isn’t getting it done. Really … it isn’t
Going neither left nor right along the road toward the Lord, even as He comes to us, take the flock now deeper, now higher on that path, but always to encounter the mystery which distinguishes truly Catholic liturgy… and therefore true Catholics.
Lines are being drawn, sides taken, choices made.
More than ever we need what Christ, the true Actor of our liturgy, desires to offer us through Holy Church’s worship. Continue reading