Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Dimitri_Cavalli: A long time ago, I contribute d some of the short, anonymous “Whi le We’r e at It” articles that appeared in First Things. This is one of my personal favorit...
- Kathleen10: Their bootheels are on our throats. There is nothing earthly to stop them. We better look up.
- JeromeThomas: Just to expand on this a little, Campus Reform is unfortunat ely incorrect in saying that social justice issues are not likely to be discussed at the ICMS. The talks that *were*...
- Kathleen10: A camel is a horse designed by committee. Didn’ ;t you say that, Fr. Z.?
- chantgirl: dbf223- I would usually agree with Janet Smith, but in the case of the nuns, I think she is wrong. The pill does not work merely by preventing ovulation, as breakthrou gh ovulation is...
- Greg Hlatky: This will end only when the last Grievance Studies professor is strangled with the guts of the last Vice Chancellor for Diversity and Inclusion.
- Clinton R.: Great post, Father. We indeed must live each day preparing ourselves for the Bridegroom . Confessing our sins is a great way to cleanse our soul and make it a suitable dwelling place...
- bobbird: Dr. Evan Lenow is a prof at Southwest Baptist Theologica l Seminary in Ft. worth. He was recently a guest on my radio show The Bird’ ;s Eye View. He defends and teaches HV as a course...
- Kerry: Hmm… what about that plague which killed 1/3 of the population , the “Peo ple of Color̶ 1; Death?
- JesusFreak84: Am I the only one who thinks this could pass for an Onion or EOTT article?
- chantgirl: LOL Well, it is cultural appropriat ion for these 21st century profs of non-Europe an descent to even study the medieval era ;) Must this dumbassery infect every area of academia? Is...
- Julia_Augusta: I am reminded of Monty Python’s Holy Grail.
- richiedel: A real medievalis t like Fr. Augustine Thompson, O.P. would be able to dissect this well.
- Augustine Thompson O.P.: As a medievalis t who has taught religious history in state universiti es (Berkeley, Oregon, Virginia) for some 25 years and now teaches that material in a seminary, I...
- Nan: Last night at my little Byzantine Church, we had the vigil liturgy for St Elijah, followed by the blessing of the cars, because Elijah was taken to heaven in a fiery chariot. In Father&...
- Nan: No, they focus on Hildegard being an Abbess and her preaching, St Catherine of Siena telling the Pope what to do, Teresa of Avila for doing what she wanted in reforming the Carmelites but...
- SanSan: This is wonderful blessed news for the faithful in Detroit! Thank you Jesus!
- LeeGilbert: Charles E Flynn, FWIW, The book you link is hardly a case of the Cistercian s “sch olaring on,” for it is the work of David N. Bell, Anglican priest and seminary rector, an...
- Ave Maria: Oh Father, you crack me up! Lets see… I think I shall hopefully identify as a faithful Roman Catholic and I hope that others can tell that! And since this is a day to remember the...
- Fr. Kelly: I too am intrigued by her entry. She comes into the church in much the same way as they young man who becomes a priest does. She is wearing rings on both hands and dressed in a fancy red...
- hwriggles4: Father Z: Yesterday I received The Columbia magazine and skimmed through it this morning before work. The July 2018 issue is solely on Humanae Vitae. I plan to read it cover to cover...
- WmHesch: I’d argue the EF Mass for St. Elias could be said today in any parochial church where a Scapular Confratern ity is erected.
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: Charlotte Allen: I watched the video again It does bear watching more than once! There are fine details which a single viewing might miss. I’m intrigued by the choice to...
- Charlotte Allen: I watched the video again, this time seeing the engagement and wedding rings, which I’d missed the first time around. They do make the woman more mysterious . She looks too...
- Marion Ancilla Mariae II: “Wha t is wrong with the world?R 21; “I am.” – G.K. Chesterton We have the means to combat these evils. I mean, really combat them, and decisi...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- And now for your Friday SSPX news!
- WDTPRS – 16th Ordinary Sunday: The Enemy is hunting YOU
- For your consideration…
- The hurly burly of Medieval Studies!
- FLYING ELECTRIC SPACE SPIDERS!
- ASK FATHER: Mass texts for St. Elijah, Old Testament Prophet
- What could possibly go wrong? – UPDATED
- YOUR GOOD NEWS… and Washington DC’s new Auxiliary Bishop and key priest at Detroit’s major seminary
- Budding young feminist archeologists
- ASK FATHER: Baptism of child of a same-sex couple?
- BOOK RECEIVED: Why Humanae Vitae Is Still Right!
- What the TMSM is doing with your donations
- Who is behind that “Lovely, drippy, syrupy TLM and vocation video” and how are they being treated?
- ACTION ITEM! Pray for Fr. Morris, victim of the homosexualist agenda
- Are we still trustworthy?
- Lovely, drippy, syrupy TLM and vocation video. Then Fr. Z rants about crying.
- The image of the badge of the Vendée came to mind today
- ACTION ITEM! Spiritual Bouquet for Bp. Morlino
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Garofolato!
- ASK FATHER: Cremains in funeral Mass, Traditional Requiem
- Pontifical Mass in Lake Charles. A brief and yet optimistic rant from Fr. Z.
- The last 10 minutes…
- 17 July 1794: “Permission to die, Mother?”
- 17 July 2018 – 100 years after
- Cobblestones, new vestments, and swag for Zed Heads
- More shallow, angry, cliché feminist rubbish from Fishwrap
- The demographics of church participation are shifting.
- ACTION ITEM! Urgent prayer request for a priest
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- “St Swithin’s day if thou be fair…”
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Monthly Archives: June 2009
When I am in St. Paul I sometimes take a break from the good Chinese to stop at a well-known deli, Cecil’s on Cleveland.
If you can’t be in New York, you can come here.
Service is … well, you never know. … Continue reading
From the site of First Things, Michael Novak has a comment about the anticipation felt by liberals over the Holy Father’s upcoming encyclical.
My emphases and comments.
Economic Heresies of the LeftJun 29, 2009Michael Novak
What exactly is in Benedict XVI’s new encyclical … Continue reading
There is a very interesting piece from Sandro Magister’s Chiesa on the new discoveries about St. Paul which have recently come to light.
This is one you want to read carefully… especially you seminarians out there.
My emphases and … Continue reading
Ed Peter’s of In The Light Of The Law has correctly understood a burning issue of our day.
L’OR and the Loss of Reason
For most of my life L’Osservatore Romano has been a sleepy Roman rag that arrived weeks after its … Continue reading
What is your good news today?
More and more I have the impression that "the environment" is rapidly becoming the focus of a new age sort of a religion.
I missed this when it came out, from Catholic World News:
Catholic World News (CWN) Feature Stories US Catholic … Continue reading
People are telling me I must upgrade to Windows 7. Riiiight. Like we had to upgrade to Vista… is that it?
So… asuming for a moment that this is in the cards….
Do you have to upgrade from the same version of … Continue reading
Please pray for the consecrandus.
With a tip of the biretta to Fr. Roderick, I present this great iPhone ap commercial spoof with a Catholic twist.
It was made by P. Camarata.
It looks like that guy needs to charge his iPhone… a common experience we share.
From a reader comes yet another e-mail without a link:
Info from theratzingerforum: Our Pope’s Mosaic in St. Paul’s Outside the Walls hat been altered and shows now the pallium which the Pope is wearing now, no longer the one he … Continue reading
From a reader:
As you know, July 1st is the Feast of the Precious Blood in the pre-1969 calendar. Unfortunately, this is one of the "idea feasts" which didn’t make the "expert" cut in 1969 (and the highest-ranking victim of tinkeritis … Continue reading
Today is the consecration as bishop of Fr. Lee Piche. It will take place in the Cathedral of St. Paul, in St. Paul, Minnesota.
In your charity will you please pray for him?
Perhaps you might stop right now and say, right … Continue reading
On the very day the Year for Priests began, I was happily able to post about a nice thing that happened to me on an airplane.
This now comes from the editors of the National Catholic Register with my emphases and … Continue reading
Can anyone identify this bishop?
I am wondering if this isn’t he.
UPDATE: 1 July
All the photos are here.