Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- richiedel: I can imagine on some future weekday Low Mass on July 22, Father deciding to give a short homily wherein he mentions how the Creed will be recited shortly and giving the reasons why this...
- JSPizzo: absolutely agree. the question of should in theory is different than in practice
- Fr_Andrew: If we decry the abuses of the Ordinary Form by celebrants making up their own liturgy and ignoring the books, then is it not just as much an abuse to ignore Summorum Pontificum and...
- maternalView: A few courageous priests and Bishops, but no more than we see now addressing today̵ 7;s troubles, will endure the coming trial with the faithful. Most clergy and laity simply...
- Elizabeth D: Last August when students were moving out of their apartments I found a big container of commercial ly made, individual ly wrapped Madeleine cookies. They were a little lemony, they...
- Uxixu: After the reading of Malachi Martin, St. John Paul II should have issued that exact same proclamati on after he recovered from the assassin attempt.
- Charles E Flynn: The attack of 1955 is no more privileged than the later attacks in the 1960s. The unique position of St Mary Magdalene in the life of Christ deserves a unique position in the most...
- Charles E Flynn: Cooking outside of the comfort zone is one of the arts practiced by men who make the effort to avoid being “bea rs with furniture& #8221;. If I recall correctly, you have not...
- The Cobbler: Many of the great figures of the Old Testament are considered saints and have a day in the Roman liturgical book called the Roman Martyrolog y. Father, I once heard, somewhere along...
- Vincent1967: Dear Father, Thank you for this lovely post! I’ve been a little maudlin (and the etymology of that is so apt re St Mary Magdalene! ) recently. The remembranc e of things past...
- benedetta: Looks good Father!
- Hb: Well, many of us follow the pre 62 rubrics as well as use pre 55 Holy Week so I don’ t see the problem since it already exists in earlier rubrics. It would seem to me using a long estab...
- Gabriel Syme: What a disappoint ment the modern Jesuit Order is. I suppose, if you take (what was) a loyal and dynamic order, and set them to a bad task (implement ation of Vatican 2) then this...
- Gabriel Syme: Btw, what a fantastic picture that is of the SSPX men standing in front of the Statue of Archbishop Lefebvre. Argh, I think the statue is actually of Pius X! My bad! D’oh !
- Gabriel Syme: @ HvonBlumen thal It is said that Bp Fellay would have signed the last deal which the Vatican offered, but Bp Gallareta opposed and Bp Fellay wanted unanimity between the SSPX bisho...
- TonyO: The creed would be a good addition to the Mass for Mary Magdalene, but not enough of a good to supercede obedience to the rubrics as written. As p.frank suggested, we have to not only push...
- Unwilling: Yeahbut 230; why not the Doctors?
- APX: I voted yes, but I misunderst ood the question. I assumed it meant, if Rome approved. I don’t think we should just add of our own free will.
- truthfinder: The order of suppressio n stated the Jesuits were abolished ‘for ever’ ; and in some translatio ns “for eternity 8221;. Makes you wonderR 30;
- Dismas: In a word, no. I expect a poorer ratio of courageous , faithful bishops than was tallied in England around 1534. Courage, like any other virtue, becomes flaccid and atrophied when not...
- philosophicallyfrank: We should not be surprised by what is a continuall y growing effort to destroy the Church. There have been two Apparition s of the Blessed Mother since WWII when She foret...
- Dismas: What, no “Meh ” or “I 8217;m not touching this with a thirty foot pole” ; options?
- philosophicallyfrank: We tend to be critical of many who add & subtract from what the Ordinary Form was suppose to be; so, we, who appreciate the Extraordin ary Form, need to seek desired...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): In countries that have purported to outlaw the seal of the confession al it will be even worse than we think. Because the only way for the government to know a priest has...
- teomatteo: On an all together different note: that counter top appears to be, Saint Cecilia, comes outta s.america. i think.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen and Remembrance of Things Past
- 22 July: Mary Magdalene and the Creed at Mass – POLL!
- Can you imagine bishops doing something like this today?
- ASK FATHER: Blessing for a Wheelchair, Stretcher, or Ambulance
- FEAST DAY! 21 July 1773 – Clement XIV suppressed the Jesuits!
- R.I.P. Msgr. Camille Perl, once Secretary of the Pontifical Commission “Ecclesia Dei”
- And now for your Friday SSPX news!
- WDTPRS – 16th Ordinary Sunday: The Enemy is hunting YOU
- For your consideration…
- The hurly burly of Medieval Studies!
- FLYING ELECTRIC SPACE SPIDERS!
- ASK FATHER: Mass texts for St. Elijah, Old Testament Prophet
- What could possibly go wrong? – UPDATED
- YOUR GOOD NEWS… and Washington DC’s new Auxiliary Bishop and key priest at Detroit’s major seminary
- Budding young feminist archeologists
- ASK FATHER: Baptism of child of a same-sex couple?
- BOOK RECEIVED: Why Humanae Vitae Is Still Right!
- What the TMSM is doing with your donations
- Who is behind that “Lovely, drippy, syrupy TLM and vocation video” and how are they being treated?
- ACTION ITEM! Pray for Fr. Morris, victim of the homosexualist agenda
- Are we still trustworthy?
- Lovely, drippy, syrupy TLM and vocation video. Then Fr. Z rants about crying.
- The image of the badge of the Vendée came to mind today
- ACTION ITEM! Spiritual Bouquet for Bp. Morlino
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Garofolato!
- ASK FATHER: Cremains in funeral Mass, Traditional Requiem
- Pontifical Mass in Lake Charles. A brief and yet optimistic rant from Fr. Z.
- The last 10 minutes…
- 17 July 1794: “Permission to die, Mother?”
- 17 July 2018 – 100 years after
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Daily Archives: 10 June 2009
I had a beautiful note from an SSPX priest (edited):
Father, thanks for the reports on the SSPX – Rome developments. It’s great to be able to watch your blog and Rorate Coeli to get the latest.
As this progresses, I become … Continue reading
His Excellency Most Reverend Robert J. Carlson is now the Archbishop of St. Louis.
In your charity will you pray for him?
Here is his first sermon as Archbishop in case you missed it.
WDTPRS has had something to do with the issue of liturgical translations. But we do like to see the good observations made by others.
His Hermeneuticalness has posted a good entry over at his place.
Many of us will be profoundly … Continue reading
A new visitor to the feeder, whom I have not ever seen.
The Catholic New Media Awards are underway.
We have been nominated for several categories.
VOTING has begun.
Will you help WDTPRS?
People’s Choice Blog
Best Blog by a Cleric
Best Blog by a Religious
Best Blog by a Man
Best Written Blog
Most Spiritual Blog
Most Informative Blog
Most Entertaining … Continue reading
In most cases I refer people with questions about the validity of their marriages directly to a real live parish priest who will be in a position to help them work out any problems they may have.
This question, however, is … Continue reading
Here is an interesting report of the intrepid Andrea Tornielli in my translation (edited):
In the next weeks there will be published a Motu Proprio of Benedict XVI which makes the Commission Ecclesia Dei … an organism of the Congregation for … Continue reading
This last weekend I recovered some relics which a friend had had for some years.
St. Leo the GreatSt. Thomas AquinasSt. DominicSt. Ignatius Loyola
They are all first class relics, from bone.
They join the other great saints in the Sabine … Continue reading
Via a reader, from ASCA (my rapid translation from the rather awkward Italian):
(ASCA) Vatican City 10 June
This morning the Vatican Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith discussed how to begin the doctrinal dialogue with the Lefebvrite Preiestly Fraternity of … Continue reading
I am catching up with the avalanche of news and e-mail by which I have been recently overwhelmed.
In the mix I found some stories and links to the blog of Anglican Fr. Jeffrey Steel, of Durham in the UK called … Continue reading
A friend asked a question by telephone.
A priest in a parish baptized two children using the proper rite for baptism, pouring water properly, but saying "WE baptize you in the name of the Father and of the Son and of … Continue reading
From a reader:
I’m curious about traditional parishes (both those which exclusively use the 1962 liturgical books and those which would self-identify as a traditional parish) and adult converts in the US. I don’t have the official documents ready at hand, … Continue reading
A few notes about the SSPX in Germany.
I am wondering if there isn’t a coordinated effort to spoil the detante and talks which must take place between the SSPX and the Holy See.
First, there comes this from CNS via Catholic … Continue reading
Please pray for a positive outcome to an urgent and important issue.