Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Kevin: Without leadership from Rome we are becoming protestant s…we are losing the Sacraments ! Marriage, the Eucharist& #8230;.why do I need to go to Confession if anyone and everyone can...
- teomatteo: Those abandoned homes. I am writing a novel about na almost abandoned catholic church in a desperatel y blighted area of Detroit. The small latin mass parish of 75 families are deeded...
- gretta: People are born with all sorts of issues, both physical and psychologi cal. As someone pointed out above, being born with a heart condition is “nat ural” ; but there is still a...
- GregB: Last year the PBS show “Thi s Old House̶ 1; covered the renovation of two houses in Detroit. They also covered the the local initiative s that are trying to work on neglected homes...
- monstrance: Thank you Fr Z for this post. A breath of fresh air. Sometimes I think our current Holy Father forgets he’s Pope. Maybe a liberal Jesuit just can’t help himself. [To be fair to the...
- maternalView: I know people with this disordered inclinatio n. They are waiting for the church to change. They don’ t see this inclinatio n as something to fight against and overcome. They...
- Grant M: Obi-Wan 217;s costume seems to show mixed Dominican and Franciscan influence. Maybe the designer, like Dante in the Paradiso, was devoted to those two great Saints. That is how you...
- Antonin: Paul VI was in an impossible situation. There was widespread agreement that there needed to be liturgical reform. Nobody disagreed. The cycle of readings and emphasis on the liturgy of the...
- Ave Maria: There has been almost uncountabl e “all eged” ; words from the pontiff that are not in accord with Magisteria l teachings. Why are no denials or clarificat ions forthcomin g?...
- Antonin: I don’ t think anyone can seriously doubt that the Pope said what was reported. Fits the general pattern. But this young man is confused and the guilt for that belongs to the vile...
- teomatteo: A private conversati on with a victim should remain such.
- Peter Stuart: Alleged my foot. If this pope wants to say something straight up, he can do it any time. But no, he deliberate ly distorts and twists words and insults Catholics. I have 0% doubt that...
- aquinasadmirer: Fr Simon, of Relevant Radio, had this to say on the word gay… “Gay ? he’s not even in a good mood!̶ 1;
- robtbrown: Surriter, The General Instructio n of the Roman Missal, found in the first pages, refers to the Octaves of Christmas and Easter. It makes no mention of an Octave of Pentecost.
- Gregg the Obscure: I would add the words of St. Paul “Who , having known the justice of God, did not understand that they who do such things, are worthy of death; and not only they that do...
- Suburbanbanshee: Actually, Dave Filoni rescued Chewbacca& #8217;s original design (as he has done with a lot of the old Ralph McQuarrie concept art), and used it for the character Zeb, in the Star...
- Suburbanbanshee: Since the 16th century or so, there was a secondary use of the word gay to mean basically “fre e with sexual favorsR 21;, and it referred to the French “gai eR...
- karmato: Tip of the old cubs cap to you… . Alas a 10 – 1 loss tonight at the hands of the Indians. But at least it was not 20 degrees at game time.
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): Those devastated houses: what happens everywhere the left runs things.
- comedyeye: I doubt we will ever hear this kind of catechesis in a homily. Probably because there is no parable of Jesus and the gay man. Thank you for making clear what few clergy preach.
- Orlando: It’s time we all realize the pope knows exactly what he’s doing , whether it’s informal, off the cuff or on airplane 8230;he is changing in a very fundamenta l way what the Church has...
- Curate: Very well said. The obvious implicatio n is that “If God made me to have same-sex attraction , then homosexual actions are fine.̶ 1; Suppose we were to grant that premise, it...
- cstei: I am going to Gammarelli ’s on Monday I can’ t wait.
- maternalView: I believe that the key to exposing the agenda of the homosexual culture is to smash that false narrative that people are born “gay ” and instead are actually making a...
- maternalView: @Lorra But prayer and fasting can be done in any diocese And perhaps is needed even more in the less friendly dioceses
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- My View For Awhile: Urban Devastation Edition
- Does Pope Francis have a “long game” strategy?
- Interview about Honduran Card. Rodriguez Maradiaga
- Canadian Jesuit Archbp. Prendergast comments on crazy German bishops’ scheme
- Pope’s words about God making someone “gay”
- Some cool stuff, old and new, in Rome and Detroit
- @Card_R_Sarah terrific sermon for Pentecost and pilgrimage
- A Bishop calls on his brother Bishops to celebrate the Traditional Pontifical Mass, TLM
- “I originally sent you this story 8 years ago, for the brick by brick file…” UPDATE
- “Where there is no temple there shall be no homes.”
- Pastor Iuventus on the appalling Met “Gay-la”
- Chilling – probably correct – explanation of mass school shootings
- A Pentecost Monday lesson: “And Paul VI wept.”
- WDTPRS – Pentecost Sunday: that strong stable edge
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- BACK IN PRINT! The Heresy of Formlessness
- My View For Awhile: Creston Edition
- “I used to think hosts found on floors was Traditional Catholic hyperbole…”
- Monday after Pentecost: Memorial of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of the Church – TEXTS
- Bp. Schneider’s terrific talk in Rome – ACTION ITEM!
- ASK FATHER: As a lay woman, should I have a “Mass kit” in my “Bug Out Bag”?
- @JamesMartinSJ can also amuse
- I have bad news and good news: Scouts and Troops
- Darío Card. Castrillón Hoyos, former Pres. of the Pont. Comm. “Ecclesia Dei” – RIP
- Bp. Schneider on the Met “Gay-la”
- BOOKS RECEIVED: Peter Kreeft and 2018 Ignatius Pew Missal
- VIDEOS: Lessons in how properly to fold a cassock
- VIDEO: Military pilgrimage to Lourdes
- Fascinating and sad: transcript of 1976 meeting of Paul VI and SSPX Archbp. Lefebvre
- A light TEOTWAWKI moment
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Monthly Archives: June 2009
From a reader:
As you know, July 1st is the Feast of the Precious Blood in the pre-1969 calendar. Unfortunately, this is one of the "idea feasts" which didn’t make the "expert" cut in 1969 (and the highest-ranking victim of tinkeritis … Continue reading
Today is the consecration as bishop of Fr. Lee Piche. It will take place in the Cathedral of St. Paul, in St. Paul, Minnesota.
In your charity will you please pray for him?
Perhaps you might stop right now and say, right … Continue reading
On the very day the Year for Priests began, I was happily able to post about a nice thing that happened to me on an airplane.
This now comes from the editors of the National Catholic Register with my emphases and … Continue reading
Can anyone identify this bishop?
I am wondering if this isn’t he.
UPDATE: 1 July
All the photos are here.
In December of 2006 I attended a presser on the unearthing, but not opening, of the tomb of St. Paul, Apostle, in the Basilica of St. Paul outside-the-walls.
At that time questions were raised about the opening of the tomb, but … Continue reading
From CNA with my emphases and comments:
Italian newspaper reveals key paragraphs from Pope’s upcoming social encyclical
Rome, Italy, Jun 28, 2009 / 09:45 am (CNA).- The upcoming social encyclical of Pope Benedict XVI "Caritas … Continue reading
From a reader:
Hello Fr. Z,
Just in case no one has sent this to you yet, here is a link to one of many great videos just up on YouTube of the Sacred Music Colloquium in Chicago, done by the the … Continue reading
From a priest reader:
I am a priest in my 60’s I remember serving the Tridentine mass. I am interested in celebrating mass ad orientem but I was wondering how. I have some questions.
1. At the beginning of the mass … Continue reading
First, let me say that I was weary of the Michael Jackson coverage before it began.
People are gushing about how Michael Jackson broke racial barriers. "Before there was Oprah… before there was Obama…" blah blah blah.
Have people forgotten Jesse … Continue reading
As you know, the SSPX has the German bishops in a Tizzy because of the ordinations at their German seminary in Zaitzkofen.
To be clear, the SSPX does not have permission from the Church to ordain anyone. The SSPX are suspended … Continue reading