Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Mightnotbeachristiantou: Since everyone sins, I am surprised that public pence is not done more often. Especially when the sin is public. In fact even Vigano. If you knew and said nothing you are...
- Liz: We pray for Archbishop Vigano in our daily prayers, often by name (along with Cardinals Sarah, Burke, Pell, and Brandmuell er). I think of him and pray for him frequently at adoration and/li...
- jaykay: Michael: yes, I have on one of those. I can thoroughly recommend them – they are very strong and hard-weari ng. I’ve had mine for about 5 years now and while I don’ t wear...
- Dismas: Space Corps notes: The ISS orbits the Earth every 90 minutes, thus making 16 revolution s per day. As there is no plausible reference time, so the ISS follows the UTC (think GMT) time.
- Komo: Funny, no mention of times available for confession . Oh, that’ ;s right – it’s an outdated sacrament.
- dbf223: “No faithful priest deserves this parish. 221; I concur. There are probably a whole host of other issues the bishop would have to sort through to even begin to address this situa...
- Diana: There are some beautiful scapulars on Etsy, too. I bought some here: https://ww w.etsy.com /shop/InGo ldofOphir? ref=l2-sho pheader-na me
- Massachusetts Catholic: If the archdioces e in St Paul and Minneapoli s has only one parish like this, consider yourself blessed. There are about five parishes like this in the archdioces e of...
- Geoffrey: Thank you for this timely post! My Brown Scapular gave ‘way a few months ago, and I have been at pains finding something similar. It was a somewhat “hea vy” scapul...
- LarryW2LJ: Why have a child baptized if you KNOW your lifestyle is in direct conflict with the Catholic faith and you know you have no intentions of bringing up said child in adherence with that...
- Sawyer: Not that it matters for the main topic, but the “chu rch” setup with the screens looks temporary, like it’s in a gymnasium or a hall. Is the church building being renova...
- Henry Edwards: ” Suppress the place and sow the ground with salt?̶ 1; Why not, PrayTell? Seriously, what good reason might a responsibl e bishop have, for allowing a place like this to...
- hwriggles4: If religious education volunteers and paid staffers are required to attend, they would probably fall asleep during several sessions. If this were me, I would read Daniel Mattson...
- Cafea Fruor: @Amy – Yes, this is so true, and the consequenc es of not having a mother around run deep. My own mother was effectivel y out of my childhood from the time I was about 7 or 8...
- Gab: This infection needs to be stopped before it spreads to other parishes. Although I don’ t know if it’s even possible to stop the spread in these times. Sounds like the church and...
- Amy McSween: Where is the Cross? Where is our Lord?
- Suburbanbanshee: I think Liguori says that travelers are exempted from a lot of fasting regs. Obviously this was partly about moving the body strenuousl y, and partly about uncertaint ies in...
- Hidden One: The pastorR 17;s second six year term expires in July.
- Arcgap: The Bishop should follow the example of Jesus ins such a situation John 2:15
- teomatteo: Child abuse. Pure and Simple. (not the baptism of course).
- Amy McSween: A child has a right, in normal circumstan ces, to his or her mother. Jennifer Roeback Morse has devise excellent rhetorical counterpoi nts to the usual “don ’t judge...
- WmHesch: Under the old rules, New scapulars did not need to be blessed (with the sole exception of the Trinidaria n until Leo XIII). This is because it’s the ENROLLMENT that carries over from one...
- Michael: This company from Michigan makes excellent Scapulars that are both strong and long-lasti ng. Plus, proceeds go towards the formation of religious. The scapular comes with the rite of...
- LA: A couple years back I was flew East across the Atlantic, leaving Atlanta on a Ash Wednesday evening. I could not know when exactly it would turn into Thursday mid-air somewhere in flight, so...
- ChesterFrank: When initiated into the brown scapular in grade school, I recall getting one of plastic with inserts for paper cards. Are the real ones really that much more expensive? Handing out...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Scandalous parish in @ArchdioceseSPM – public celebration of homosexuality, IVR and surrogacy
- ASK FATHER: Where can I get good Brown Scapulars?
- ASK FATHER: Friday penance on flight across International Date Line
- Public penance and public reparation
- Card. Mahony to speak at the Three Days of Darkness
- UPDATE: “the finest rosaries I’ve ever seen” with a new site
- SOS! New Chant Collection: Prière pour temps de détresse … Prayer in time of distress, suffering, urgency… SOS Chant
- ASK FATHER: St. Gertrude’s Prayer and releasing 1000 souls from Purgatory
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- When tweets become problematic
- 4th Letter from Archbishop Viganò
- 14 January – Happy Feast of the Ass!
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- ASK FATHER: Standing on altar to change sanctuary lamp.
- ASK FATHER: Feasts of new saints in the Traditional Latin Mass
- Good points in Lawler’s recent book: The Smoke of Satan…
- Two cordial warnings to readers
- ASK FATHER: Excessive pious gestures during Mass
- WDTPRS – Holy Family (1962MR): Families not of blood
- ASK FATHER: Can we use the Breviarium Romanum published by the SSPX?
- FOLLOW UP on Gluten and Celiac post
- ZMIRAK: Hawaii Sen. @maziehirono Is Right. We Must Intern the Knights of Columbus in Camps
- ASK FATHER: Gluten-free madness the work of the Father of Lies?
- Of desecration of liturgy and identity. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- NEW BOOK from William R. Forstchen. “Sauron’s Eye” is about to kill everything on Earth.
- Fun about a box of stuff, a papal tomb and ancient reading glasses (“cheaters”)
- BOOK RECEIVED
- ASK FATHER: “I’m seriously considering adopting some form of sedevacantism”
- ASK FATHER: Advice about homeschooling and High School
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Daily Archives: 7 August 2009
"It is fully time to take action and stand with our Holy Father who is himself so admirably peaceful and coherent in fulfilling all his duties. We are greatly blessed by the quality of his teaching." I had the chance … Continue reading
“More tears are shed over answered prayers than unanswered ones.” St. Theresa of Avila (+1582)
PENJING REPORT Penjing still thrives and still has very little to say. Time to get out the clippers. The Chinese Elm, Penzai, has leafed out very well. A trim will be necessary soon. I’ll have to read up on this … Continue reading
It is always a matter of fascination to me that, as technology advances, we find more and more interesting in venerable old "relics" about which extravagant claims have been made. For example, with the development of photography we found that … Continue reading
First, many thanks again to all of you who helped me go to England for Fr. Finigan’s 25th Jubilee celebration. It meant a lot to be able to go. Also, many thanks to Fr. Basden of St. Bede’s for the … Continue reading
A long-time reader and WDTPRSer GS sent this useful e-mail: Reverend Sir: I just came across a concise roundup of currently published hand missals for the usus antiquior. Although the post is almost a year old, I don’t know of any new players in the … Continue reading
What should worry readers in the following is the unavoidable conclusion that The Tablet can’t stand Pope Benedict. The editors of "the Bitter Pill" hold Pope Benedict in such contempt that the editors are willing to objectify even the new … Continue reading
We all know from some of our less frequently self-editing brethren that it is clearly a MORTAL SIN for women not to have a head covering in church and that all women are all REQUIRED always to have a head … Continue reading
Looking for an image which describes the feelings of many in our own time? There is a photo on the blog A Catholic Life…
In solidarity with our friends at Rorate, and with all Catholics in the region of the Italian Bishops Conference, I bring you this, which you may judge on your own. The blog Messa in latino reports on the thoughts of … Continue reading
From a reader who is interested in what the prayer really says. Dear Father Zuhlsdorf, Happy Feast Day! From Vespers for today’s Feast of the Transfiguration: Christe, qui in monte illuminástifáciem tuam super Móysen et Elíam,orámus te pro Iudæis,pópulo acquisitiónis … Continue reading