Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Vincent1967: I was horrified to see this. I cannot believe that diplomatic niceties trump the defence of the absolute dignity of every human being from conception until natural death. I donR...
- Mat. Anna: These are non-Chalce donions, not Orthodox, just for anyone here who might be confused. [So, even less significan t.] This has been recently addressed in the Orthodox Church: http://...
- tamranthor: For those who would excuse this “hon or” by calling it diplomacy, the Holy See has no business doing business as usual, i.e. secularly. Yes, the Vatican is a City-State ,...
- Imrahil: Dear JonPatrick , the thing is that when Hitler did open war after it had been prolongued by appeasemen t, 1. it was proven as obvious that you couldnR 17;t have peace with Hitler....
- gaudete: ” The press office statement says that this award was part of a routine exchange of honors for diplomatic purposes during a state visit. Therefore, it has nothing to do with Ploume...
- Ave Maria: I have been told that exorcized blessed bells expel the demons in the air. No wonder those of the infidel want them silenced. And as to honoring an abortion supporter& #8230;and an...
- Eugene: I do not recognize the church I was baptized into and adhered to for my life anymore, I am so sick of all these sick happenings . Truly there is an agenda, and its not so hidden anymore. I...
- Fr Martin Fox: If you will forgive me, Father: it occurs to me that some may read this and be unclear on a precise point. Is a confession not valid if the penitent omits these aggravatin g circum...
- Fr Martin Fox: Regarding parish registrati on… My reading of Canon Law leads me to believe that no one is, strictly speaking, required to complete a parish registrati on. But it is a courte...
- Fr Martin Fox: Suburbanba nshee said: My hometown parish used to have a big map of the parish boundaries , in black and white, right up on the wall in the vestibule. So if people had any quest...
- YoungLatinMassGuy: Europe is lost. I have written it off. Don’ t think things like what we’r e seeing today DIDN’ ;T happen in the centuries leading up to the Fall of Constan...
- Suburbanbanshee: Re: reading Aquinas, “it would seem to be” means “thi s is an objection which I am about to demolish, or which is only partially true/appli cable.R 21;
- fishonthehill: So true… ;. “the y will mock” ;! As one who often wears the cassock (which I do not view as traditiona l garb… ; just my everyday wear), I show up at a neighbo...
- jschicago: Father, How much do you think the shoes would cost? €195? I couldnR 17;t find any shoes on the site, but found that price in an article from doing a search, but the article was from...
- David L Alexander: I think the whole idea of papal honors or any bestowal of orders of knighthood has become corrupted. I’ve seen too many instances of people getting awards for little other...
- LarryW2LJ: ” The press office statement says that this award was part of a routine exchange of honors for diplomatic purposes during a state visit. Therefore, it has nothing to do with...
- Michael: St. Catherine of Genoa, ora pro nobis!
- Gregg the Obscure: Archdioces e of Denver is revising and publishing parish boundaries (main revision is using road names and county boundaries instead of surveyor 8217;s descriptio ns so average...
- JonPatrick: This made me think of how over the weekend we watched “Dar kest Hour” ; where newly minted Prime Minister Churchill is almost alone in being determined to stand up to the...
- rtjl: It is getting very difficult to prevent my thoughts from turning in the following direction& #8230;. The abominatio n of desolation stands revealed in the heart of the sanctuary as (adulte...
- ServusChristi: In addition to that, I hear Italian faithful are not allowed to pray the Rosary aloud lest it offend the follower of the Religion of Peace. Or maybe even Earth hour may not be...
- Riddley: Father, you’ ve recommende d a book about Islam and the “War on TerrorR 21; several times. Could you remind us what it was please, as it seems rather germane. [I’l l...
- chantgirl: While I find it easy to believe that some higher up sympathize s with Lilianne Ploumen 217;s abortion and contracept ion “wor k”, I also have to wonder if the award was...
- Philmont237: I spent six months in a Muslim country having to listen to the call to prayer from the loudspeake rs of a mosque right next door to my apartment building. Returning to Germany and...
- thomas tucker: So, I take it the same thing would apply to confessing the enjoyment of something like impure thoughts- would one have to specify that they were impure thoughts about adultery? What...
CLICK and say your daily offering!
- An Armenian bishop “ordains” a deaconette
- Two seriously ugly signs of the times involving papal honors and the silencing of bells
- BOOK RECEIVED about Martin Luther (not King but by “King”)
- ASK FATHER: How do I find out which territorial parish I live in?
- Who cares what libs think? Boldly recover and use great traditional items and vesture of yore.
- ASK FATHER: If I confess to watching porn, must I say it was homosexual porn?
- ACTION ITEM! Petition against removal of historic Cross where Fr. Marquette died
- ASK FATHER: We want our children to have reverent Masses. Can we go to the SSPX chapel?
- VIDEO Bp. Athanasius Schneider interview about “Amoris laetitia” Controversy
- ASK FATHER: Should I tell a noisy penitent that we can hear everything said in the confessional?
- Observing the Feast of the Ass – 14 January
- A false #missilethreat is NOTHING compared to this REAL DEATH THREAT
- 14 Jan – Happy Feast of the Ass!
- Fr. Murray on EWTN with outstanding commentary on recent developments
- Wherein Fr. Z comments on a @RorateCaeli post about priests, permissions and exorcism prayers. Then @fatherz rants.
- Wherein @MassimoFaggioli tosses another nastygram at the “rigorist” straw man
- ASK FATHER: URGENT EMERGENCY PREDICAMENT! Mass in Presence of a Prelate but we don’t have a Pax Brede!
- How bad is the situation of vocations to the priesthood tragic Germany?
- Esolen on virtue and chastity in “Wonder Woman” (not the one you immediately thought of)
- DISGUSTING LBGT story reveals something about homosexualist agenda in the Church. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Irish “Mass Path”, for secret worship, mapped and photographed (and some BOOKS)
- ASK FATHER: SSPX or Diocesan TLM – It is an “undue burden” to have to wait 3.5 hours?
- UDPATED Two stories intersect in Ch 8 of Amoris laetitia: An attack on Humanae vitae and a Cardinal speaks up
- Juxtaposition: Demolition of churches
- Yet another German moral mudslide: bishop proposes blessing homosexual relationships
- More bad art… but this time well-deserved!
- ACTON INSTITUTE is accepting applications for the $15K 2018 Novak Award
- VIDEO about legendary Latinist Fr. Reginald Foster, OCD
- 2 Feb – Rosary To The Interior: For the Purification of the Church
- Travel Vestments Update
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Monthly Archives: October 2009
From the parish church of "Beat Vergine Assunta" in Viguzzuolo, in the Diocese of Tortona, the pastor, Fr. Gino Bava demonstrates to the world that your church doesn’t have to be huge for there to be a Solemn Mass in … Continue reading
From a priest reader:
The Kingston chapter of Juventutem, a group of youth attached to the Roman traditions of the Catholic Church, has organized a special celebration of Mass (Missa Cantata) in the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite for the … Continue reading
Some recent posts not to miss:
Whose ecumenism? (IMPORTANT)
All Souls, 1st Thursday, Year for Priests: A PROJECT
The Nuns’ Story? (about the attack by NYT’s Mo Dowd on Pope Benedict)
“The Anglican experiment … Continue reading
Did any of you see Bill O’Reilly’s show on FNC last night?
He had a segment on Bp. Tobin of Providence who recently slapped down Rep. Patrick Kennedy (D-RI).
In a CNA story we learn that last Friday Bp. Tobin explained the … Continue reading
I have written before about the Sisters who sell soap. And worthy soap it is too.
Just a reminder.
Also, they are peddling some new stuff and they are bubbly with enthusiasm.
The Soap Sisters have been busy in our expanded soap department. … Continue reading
Our friends at Rorate did some heavy lifting for us today about the talks between the SSPX and the Holy See. Drawing on the intrepid Andrea Tornielli’s piece on the same (which I simply don’t have time to translate) we … Continue reading
A friend alerted me to the following:
There will be a Solemn Pontifical Requiem Mass at the faldstool for All Souls Day in Manhattan (37th St. and Broadway) at the Church of the Holy Innocents, Monday, November 2nd at 6:30 PM. … Continue reading
Did you know that there are Catholics in Cuba who desire the older, traditional form of the Roman Rite?
Una Voce is an international group with local and regional chapters. It is dedicated to the cause of traditional Catholic liturgy.
There are some very beautiful photos at Godzdogz of a TLM celebrated at Blackfriars, London for the feast of the English Martyrs.
Here is a sample.
I am watching the launch of Ares via NASA TV.
While watching I am chatting with a friend in Rome.
He just reminded me that the Moon is under the jurisdiction of the Diocese of Rome.
When man colonizes the moon and they … Continue reading
From a reader:
If you are a Catholic of the Latin Rite in an area where there is a Latin Rite church & an Eastern Rite church, might you attend Mass & receive communion in the Eastern Rite church or must … Continue reading
From a reader:
"Beginning this past Sunday St. Paul’s Church, Christian Street in Philadelphia began having a weekly Latin Mass in the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite. The parish is located in South Philadelphia and encompasses both St. Paul’s Church … Continue reading
Vatican begins dialogue with Society of St. Pius X
Vatican City, Oct 26, 2009 / 02:23 pm (CNA).- A meeting today between representatives of the Society of St. Pius X (SSPX) and officials from the Vatican identified the doctrinal differences … Continue reading
So much of what people send me is simply dreadful.
Here is a nice piece to lift the spirit!
[9-year old X’s] 7-year old sister needed a monstrance for her St. Clare costume (for the parish festival alternative to Halloween on Sat. … Continue reading