HAM RADIO W9FRZ STATUS
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
I had to change the way that people go to amazon to buy things because... you know... why make it easy?. So, just click the link below. Once you're in, you're good to shop.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
Fr. Z’s Blog is a Founding Member of…
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- fr.ignatius: Historical ly this event was one of the greatest disasters in the history of our ChurchR 30; perhaps many Jesuits have lost the plot today, but historical ly they were the impetus...
- JuliB: I used to follow his blog, and thought he was a pretty decent apologist. I don’ t expect to agree with anyone 100% of the time, so tended to overlook some of his opinions. Howev...
- jaykay: Elizzabeth : you are of course correct. In fact, I had heard them before, as part of John Elliott Gardner 217;s choirs in his great 1989 recording of the Monteverdi Vespers in St....
- JonathanTX: Perhaps it’s time to begin preparing our conscience s for the day that some bishops 217; conference tries to ordain women and the Vatican declines to correct them, or even...
- L.: Of course, we need reform. In my own diocese, reform will begin with the appointmen t of a new bishop. I was impressed, Fr. Z, that when you were here recently for the conference at Oglebay...
- ChrisP: mcferran: check your assumemora lhighgroun d.exe file. It failed. The world is populated by grown ups – welcome to join it.
- Jacob: For those who don’ t want to stay up to watch walking on the moon later tonight US time, CBS News is streaming its coverage all in one go, the landing and then the walk, on Youtube. So...
- Gab: This post and the “Rig ht now you are being huntedR 21; post should be merged … or read with the other post in mind. “Joh n Paul II declared in his 1994 Apostolic Letter...
- Hidden One: Neque “Chr istus̶ 1; neque “viv it”.
- thomas777: I love the off label use of this photo. Everyone knows that Gandalf does not always drink coffee but when he does Gandalf makes it a Mystic Monk coffee!!!
- Andreas: I’m listening/ watching the ‘Apo llo 11 in Real Time’ ; website right now; the LM has just landed. It is addictive and I am loathe to break away and head off for bed...
- BrionyB: It’s striking how “servants” , “grace”, and “commands” were all neatly removed from the old translatio n. Nicely sums up the problems with the mindset that produced it! Also, seeing the...
- Gregg the Obscure: i remember the day well. we went to “Aun t” Clara̵ 7;s (really my mom’ s second cousin who we didn’ ;t see all that often). she hosted a pretty big...
- Bob B.: When I see Apollo 13 and the scene where everyone is watching Neil Armstrong walk on the Moon, I remember my family gathered around the TV, as well. My father had worked at Cape Canave...
- mcferran: It’s just plain uncharitab le to make fun of somebody 8217;s name. The fact that Professor Faggioli may be uncharitab le to others (even his own ordinary) does not give license to...
- Jacob: Apollo 11 in Real Time https://ap olloinreal time.org/ Apollo 11 Live TV (Cronkite) Coverage https://ko ttke.org/a pollo-11/
- Kathleen10: I totally heard that with his voice, fantastic. Oh, if only! I have come to realize fully in the last couple of days there really is such a thing as TDS and it’s pretty incredi...
- Semper Gumby: That was great, thanks Fr. Z. Hmm… By the shores of the Red Sea c. 1250 BC… A man in a robe with a distinctiv e hairstyle climbs up on a rock and addresses a crowd of...
- BrionyB: This is so sad and frustratin g. It’s obvious that all these events and synods are biased from the start and set up to reach a foregone conclusion , but although we can all see it,...
- APX: And here I thought this would be a post on a great, yet frugal, beans and rice dish you came up with. *disappoin ted* [Yes, Beans does disappoint .]
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: TxLurker: I’ve written more in depth about this HERE. I wrote inter alia: If the water does not touch the head, at least the hair of the head, the baptism is inval...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): Of course the Internatio nal Youth Forum was filled with plants.
- TxLurker: “The re is a trinitaria n form while water is delivered by pouring, sprinkling , immersing, on the skin of the head or, if absolutely necessary and the head can’t be reach...
- AA Cunningham: The real question is whether or not the diminutive Cruise will have to sit on phone books while being filmed in the Super Hornet cockpit as he did in the Tomcat cockpit.
- SKAY: “I read that some people think that the movie caves into the ChiComs because the original patches on Maverick’s jacket were changed: no more Taiwan. Fluctus in simpulo? 8221; This is...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- FEAST DAY! 21 July 1773 – Clement XIV suppressed the Jesuits!
- WDTPRS – 16th Ordinary Sunday: Right now you are being hunted
- Mass texts for St. Elijah, Prophet – 20 July
- 20 July 1969 – Man on the Moon – 50 years ago
- Beans, beans, the musical fruit
- Pres. Trump running for Pope
- Building recruits for the New catholic Red Guards!
- New music from the London Oratory: Sacred Treasures of Spain!
- Toxic Masculinity and Sequels
- What a difference a day made
- ASK FATHER: Traditional “Supplied rites” after emergency or modern rite baptism
- Sick-Call Sets and You
- Day 2 – St. Paul Center Priesthood Conference
- 17 July 1794: “Mother, permission to die?”
- URGENT ACTION ITEM: Note from long-time reader who is dying
- 16 July 1969 – #Apollo11 and Our Lady of Mt Carmel
- Day 1 – St. Paul Center Priesthood Conference
- Mark Shea is sad because seminarians are Catholic
- Amazon Prime Day Discounts
- My View For Awhile: To the East and to priests
- Good VIDEO for people who aren’t familiar with the TLM or with our traditions
- ASK FATHER: Sex before Communion
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – GO TO CONFESSION! – VIDEO
- 13 July: St. Ezra (Esdras), Old Testament Prophet and some spectacular baroque musical weirdness
- SSPX video of their amazing new US church project.
- BOOK: In Praise of the Tridentine Mass and of Latin, Language of the Church
- WDTPRS – 15th Ordinary Sunday: Too far right or too far left, we wind up in the ditch in the dark
- “Damn!”, quoth I. “That’s the spirit.” Coasties getting the job done.
- How credible is “credible” in allegations against priests?
- Tour Talk – #TDF2019 @Le_Tour Stage 6
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Monthly Archives: November 2009
I see that Damian Thompson has his blade sharpened: My emphases and comments: November 30th, 2009 Happy 40th birthday, Novus Ordo! It is 40 years ago today since the New Mass of Paul VI was introduced into our parishes, writes … Continue reading
Today is my day trip to Cape Canaveral and the Kennedy Space Center! I had been here many years ago. how things have changed! I did enjoy the Rocket Park. I thought the Soviet era Soyuz was pretty interesting. And … Continue reading
Do any of you have an iPhone and have iBreviary installed? I do. I don’t know if any of you have the same experience, but I don’t think it is being updated. More often than not, I refresh and there … Continue reading
Some recent posts: NYT Op-Ed on 40 years of the Novus Ordo Whatever it is we’re doin’… ain’t workin’! My view of Benedict’s XVI’s sermon for 1st Vespers in this new liturgical year Australia: Holy See tells http://wdtprs.com/blog/wp-admin/post-new.phpCatholic diocese not … Continue reading
As you start your new work week, tell us all some of your good news.
I understand that Fr. Rawley Myers has died. Requiescat in pace.
I understand that Fr. Robert Fox has passed away on (U.S.) Thanksgiving Day. May he rest in peace. Fr. Fox was a great apostle of Our Lady of Fatima and her message.
Every once in a while, walking about in Rome you come across a forlorn little ex-church or chapel, now serving as a nightclub or art gallery or worse. It’s like something out of a cartoon. I know of a once … Continue reading
Yes, you read that correctly. I picked up this story from an Australian source theage.com.au. I get the sense that, in the past, the local Catholic diocese in Victoria had allowed Anglicans to have ordinations in a My emphases and … Continue reading
Our friend John Sonnen at Orbis Catholicus has posted a nice photo of one of the purple dalmatics made for the pontificate of Benedict XVI. These are the purple vestments used at Vespers at the beginning of Advent. Here is … Continue reading
In no special order here are a few images and notes from Florida and a maternal visit. I made some spaghetti … nothing special. Just good ingredients combined and presented in simplicity. Nice to have fresh basil off a plant … Continue reading
You may know that when he was Archbishop of Munich, Pope Benedict gave series of sermons on the Sundays of Advent. He has spent significant time reflecting on this season. But year and each change in our lives, changes our … Continue reading
I don’t know how many times my own proposals, or those of others I have heard about, were rejected because of "young people". "No, no. We have to do [FILL IN BLANK] for young people". Pretty much you know in … Continue reading
From the op-ed page of Hell’s Bible comes this from a name that some of you will recognize NEW YORK TIMES OPINION By KENNETH J. WOLFEPublished: November 29, 2009 Washington WALKING into church 40 years ago on this first Sunday … Continue reading
I don’t know, but does this seem like a pretty good summation to you?