Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Kenneth Wolfe: Sadly, the 1962 books have done away with it, but before the mid-20th century reforms, tomorrow (Saturday, Feb. 16) would have actually featured a rare anticipate d Mass. The Sixth...
- JesusFreak84: What ever happened to Sister Agnes? I would imagine she’ s still alive o.o
- TonyO: have huge respect for, both in terms of his orthodoxy and vast intellect, has great respect for von Balthasar and his writings despite some obvious faults and would not dismiss him to the...
- Greg Hlatky: Oh dear. If being grumpy is a reason, I would have to go twice a day.
- TonyO: Ya know what is so great about Starry Night? . . . Yeah, me neither. Sorry, Van, you needed a different line of work. He transcends modern art. That’ ;s about like saying: “Why ,...
- Fr AJ: I was first introduced to Dr. Bergsma and Dr. Pitre at Scott Hahn’ ;s priest conference held each year in Wheeling, WV. Both give presentati ons each day and last year Dr. Bergsma...
- Paul of St Paul: I believe some conservati ve / trad / orthodox priests known for great sermons and great pastoral care have also sinned in this way. Not all of the disgraced are advocates for...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): There was a retired priest in the Pacific Northwest who was a darling of the left. In addition to spearheadi ng the uglificati on of a number of unfortunat e parish church...
- Geoffrey: I would like to see some form of pre-Lent restored to the Ordinary Form. I can see how the season of Septuagesi ma could be confusing, as it looks and sounds a little too much like Lent,...
- will99lang: Father, your making me feel bad, maybe I should go again today just to make sure. Eh? :)
- youngcatholicgirl: I love this. It keeps everyone honest.
- DeGaulle: Taylor and Tony, you may well both be right and I certainly would have no qualificat ion to contradict you, but someone I have huge respect for, both in terms of his orthodoxy and vast...
- HvonBlumenthal: Liberalism insists upon not making judgments. This means that when a priest is accused of indecent activity, whether legal or not, the liberal bishop reacts by not judging which in...
- TonyO: Without silence, a deeper, truly personal relationsh ip with the Lord is also darned near impossible because, without silence, contemplat ion is impossible . And as we’re all called to be...
- msc: Father: I would very much like to read your fuller thoughts on the Akita apparition s. Clearly your quotation above indicates belief. But there seems to be a lot of controvers y about them.
- TonyO: There̵ 7;s no getting around it: with it, we might make it inside the Door. Without it, we are lost. Thank you, Fr. Z and every good priest, for hearing my confession s. I promise to try...
- TonyO: Whether with regards to the Novus Ordo, dialogue, “new catechesis ,” new scholarshi p (that’s not really new or factual), the entire system has greatly hampered the Church’s mission...
- ChrisP: I’m with Scott Hahn on this one. McCarrick gets laicized after his crimes? IE. The laity who suffered get to deal with him? Great, thanks very much. Strip him of his ordained author...
- Semper Gumby: I have this book, hope to get to it soon. HvonBlumen thal: Excellent. acardnal: “Sin ging in the Reign̶ 1; is a good read. I think the author studied under Scott ̶...
- Kevin: Just back. FeelinR 17; so so good. Praise God.
- Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda: We have to watch for the prestige, dont be distractin g by the right hand… ;.watch the left. They’ ;re laicizing McCarrick and it sounds like they are elevat...
- Semper Gumby: Good one. If I understood the PowerPoint better I’d make a handy slide out of that. Wait a minute. *reaches for Etch A Sketch*
- Pius Admirabilis: To be honest, I used to embrace the reforms which did away with Septuagesi ma, thinking it was an unnecessar y extension of Lent, and that the Novus Ordo calendar in this regard...
- taylorhall95: It’s a very interestin g observatio n. And in my book, it’s the correct one. The entire “ref orm” promulgate d after Vatican 2 (and to some degree before) is...
- oldCatholigirl: How people react to regular “ext ra” prayers after Mass seems to partly be affected by their situation. If your parish has happy-clap py Masses in “wor ship...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Interesting observation by @CCPecknold about laicization of McCarrick
- WDTPRS – Septuagesima Sunday: PRE-LENT BEGINS!
- Of Flaring Suns and Starry Nights
- A quick book plug: A Catholic Introduction to the Bible: The Old Testament
- Opportunity: R.I.P.
- POLL: Prayers after Mass
- “Know also this, that, in the last days, shall come dangerous times.”
- Do you know priests who are struggling, under attack? Terrific movement: Seven Sisters Apostolate
- Movement in the causes of Bl. John Henry Newman and Card. József Mindszenty
- ASK FATHER: During sick call, tea and biscuits before administering Communion
- Another look at Catholic/Islamic statement: “diversity of religions … are willed by God in His wisdom”
- Your Good News
- “Rumors that a certain prelate threatens his orthodox priests with institutionalization or laicization are not rumors… they are truth”
- BREAKING: Rubrics and color-blindness
- Card. Kasper attacks Card. Müller who publicly proclaimed Catholic doctrine
- Thoughts about ‘ad orientem’ worship and priests being bullied
- How many baptist pastors are married?
- 10 February – St. José Sánchez del Río, Martyr
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Coda alla Vaccinara with digressions into Roman stuff, like a new old confraternity
- TRANS-NEPTUNIAN COMET APPROACHES EARTH
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- PODCAzT 170: Card. Müller – Manifesto of Faith: “Let not your heart be troubled!”
- WDTPRS: 5th Sunday after Epiphany AND 5th Ordinary Sunday: Familial military or martial family?
- L’Affaire McCarrick: Soon to be “Mister”
- When winter gets reeeeeally long
- PODCAzT 169: Bp. Athanasius Schneider on “the only God-willed religion”
- Card. Burke’s new, official website
- ASK FATHER: Popes in red rather than white?
- St. Francis and the Sultan: What really happened in 1219 in Catholic Muslim dialogue?
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Monthly Archives: November 2009
You may have seen that the Holy Father has a new ferula, in place of the older one from the time of Bl. Pius IX. Pope Benedict began his pontificate using the staff of the late John Paul II. Then … Continue reading
I received this by e-mail from a reader in the UK. I think he puts it well: Dear Father Z I feel moved to comment on the furore concerning Bishop Tobin and Senator Kennedy, <font color="#ff0000"><b>[Representative or Congressman Kennedy. The … Continue reading
An oldie PODCAzT about an Advent hymn. As I wrote back then: I decided during Advent to drill into the hymns in the Liturgia Horarum. We begin today with the hymn for Vespers called Conditor alme siderum, with its variation … Continue reading
Under my entry about the group of political hacks, faux Catholics called Catholic Democrats (aka Sycophantic Toadies), I offered the following: ALL: You will have read in the main entry that Sycophantic Toadies will even write your letter to the … Continue reading
At what became my home parish back in my native place, on Saturday mornings there was always a modest sung Mass in Latin, with incense and Gregorian chant. People would file into the chapel and take from a basket to … Continue reading
NLM has this: Tomorrow Pope Benedict will celebrate Pontifical Vespers as the first Vespers of the first Sunday of Advent, which also marks the beginning of the new liturgical year. On this occasion, the Holy Father will begin to use … Continue reading
Just how deeply sycophantic are the political toadies of the group Catholic Democrats? They are worked up about the interchange between Bp. Tobin of Providence and pro-abortion Rep. Patrick Kennedy (D-RI). The group Catholic Democrats want abortion as part of … Continue reading
Fr. Dwight Longenencker has three very good recent posts on the Anglican Provisions issue: Women’s Ordination in Context The English Ordinariate Anglicanorum coetibus – what next?
In another entry I ask "What’s up with that?" when it comes to the whole vampire thing and movie theatres filled with women. In this week’s Catholic Herald, the best Catholic weekly in the UK, there is an article by … Continue reading
From CNA: Third phase of Catholic/Anglican dialogue to include cooperative investigation of ‘divisive‘ issues Vatican City, Nov 27, 2009 / 02:33 am (CNA).- An interview on Vatican Radio Wednesday morning revealed that the third phase of official dialogue between the … Continue reading
Here is some news in the best Catholic weekly in the UK, The Catholic Herald: Pope Benedict plans to beatify Newman during visit to BritainBy Simon Caldwell 27 November 2009 The Pope is to waive his own rules so he … Continue reading
Okay… what I suspected yesterday seems to be coming to pass. Not feeling well has turned into feeling really sick. Cold sweat, dizzy, weak, all that… So.. prayers, please.
From the site of the White House comes the Thanksgiving Day Proclamation by Pres. Barak Hussein Obama: You will want to read this with your own eye and ear to the sort of language used and the concepts behind that … Continue reading
A Thanksgiving Day Proclamation… just weeks before his death: PROCLAMATION 3560 : THANKSGIVING DAY.NOVEMBER 5, 1963.BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA A PROCLAMATION: Over three centuries ago, our forefathers in Virginia and in Massachusetts, far from home … Continue reading