Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- frjim4321: just a few … believe me, I know how to do it … [Until someone shows you a better way.]
- frjim4321: Honestly? You call that a martini? Where is the condensati on? Where is the skim of little ice chips floating on the surface? You need me to make you a proper martini. [Okay̷ 0; we...
- RomualdMonk: So much for having a longer marriage prep formation prior to marriage as Pope Francis pushed a few years back as necessary.
- Grant M: This could become a habit: Flight Attendant: “Holy Father, I’m not baptised or confirmed yet.” Pope grabs a bottle of mineral water and a sachet of olive oil from the trolley. In a...
- Charles E Flynn: In 2017, there were no fatal crashes of commercial airliners. And yet, the outstandin g Smithsonia n Channel program, called “Air Disasters& #8221; in the USA and narra...
- Volanges: The article I read said that they approached him and asked him to “ble ss their marriage 8221;. That’ ;s when he asked if they were married in the Church and they explai...
- SenexCalvus: The Pope used the Power of the Keys to heal and sanctify a relationsh ip between a man and a woman in need of God’s forgivenes s and grace. [Is that so?] To effect such healings is the...
- Joy65: “As this story reverberat es ‘round the world, now, deacons, priests, and bishops who try to uphold Church norms fostering values such as deliberate marriage preparatio n, an eccles...
- Ave Crux: @Akita: unlike some other members of the hierarchy who shall remain unamed for the sake of this post, I have said many times in discussion with others, and still believe, that Pope...
- Southern Catholic: PostCathol ic, Twitter wouldnR 17;t need a copyright to database informatio n that is sent and received on the platform it owns and operates. Can you point me to what law...
- Imrahil: I’m really sorry for the inadverten t paste of something I didn’ ;t even intentiona lly copy. (Though I don’ t think it’s a mortal sin.)
- The Masked Chicken: “Is this going to be known as the era of the Avion Popes? The Avion Papacy? Where is our modern day St. Catherine of Siena?R 21; Well, that won’ t be me. Every...
- Traductora: I read just a little while ago that this was actually arranged in advance with a Francis “advisor,” Francis and the couple. I doubt that they had preparatio n or a resolution of their...
- Chuck4247: Thank you for the story behind the Christolog ical Goldfinch. I hadn’ ;t heard it before, in spite of numerous references on this blog.
- tamranthor: So, were I to put my faith in this article, I could, by rights, shoot the author, and then apologize, because while I may have committed murder, I did so out of devotion to the Church...
- tamranthor: I’m quite certain that the Pope ascertaine d that both participan ts were in a state of grace prior to commencing the ceremony. Okay, that’ ;s just snarky, but his behav...
- Geoffrey: If this report is accurate, I am pleasantly surprised that Pope “Fra ncis asked them if they were married in the ChurchR 21;. How many clergy would just ignore a coupleR 17;s...
- Akita: Another cause for sorrow in the demolition of the sacraments . Appearance s count. God gave us senses to discern. This is the trivializa tion of a sacrament. Many priests will suffer on...
- Suburbanbanshee: If we lived in an unfallen world, and if all unfallen humans had done their job of taming the earth, all of nature would be a consecrate d part of God’ s cosmic temple. But...
- Suburbanbanshee: 1 answer – “Do I look like the Pope? Heh, maybe he can dispense himself, but my bishop can’ t, and neither can I.” Complicate d answer- Explain the meaning...
- Imrahil: This may be one of my very occasional departures into scrupulosi ty, but if God made or allowed me to remember a mortal sin (or an at least venial sin which I really suspect could have...
- Aquinas Gal: I used to dread papal airplane trips because of what the pope might say. Now I dread them also because of what he might do!
- APX: Is this going to be known as the era of the Avion Popes? The Avion Papacy? Where is our modern day St. Catherine of Siena?
- Semper Gumby: PostCathol ic: Due to the moderation queue I just read your comment of 19 Jan. at 1:14 am. Your admission of your mistake regarding the number of Twitter employees is commendabl e....
- Ave Crux: @frjim4321 : what we don’ t know is actually the problem 230; Saint Francis of Assisi (ironicall y the Pope’ ;s namesake) said that one must avoid even the *appearanc e* of...
CLICK and say your daily offering!
- DC March for Life 2018 – DAY 2: Forward MARCH!
- DC March for Life 2018 – DAY 1: Paintings and plots
- Canonist Ed Peters on the Papal mid-air airplane nuptials
- The Pope marries a couple on the papal airplane. Hmmm.
- Big Business Is WATCHING!
- My View For Awhile: March For Life 2018 Edition
- “The Triumph of Marcantonio Colonna” described
- ASK FATHER: Would anything prevent a priest from always using the traditional formula of absolution?
- 2 Feb – MADISON – Candlemas – Pontifical Mass at the Throne
- Card. Müller on authority of Popes, possibility of others correcting contradictory papal teachings
- ASK FATHER: If I remember a sin after confessing, should I interrupt the priest and tell him?
- Slithery misdirection from the National Sodomitical Reporter: Bishops who avoid scandal commit scandal
- An Armenian bishop “ordains” a deaconette
- Two seriously ugly signs of the times involving papal honors and the silencing of bells
- BOOK RECEIVED about Martin Luther (not King but by “King”)
- ASK FATHER: How do I find out which territorial parish I live in?
- Who cares what libs think? Boldly recover and use great traditional items and vesture of yore.
- ASK FATHER: If I confess to watching porn, must I say it was homosexual porn?
- ACTION ITEM! Petition against removal of historic Cross where Fr. Marquette died
- ASK FATHER: We want our children to have reverent Masses. Can we go to the SSPX chapel?
- VIDEO Bp. Athanasius Schneider interview about “Amoris laetitia” Controversy
- ASK FATHER: Should I tell a noisy penitent that we can hear everything said in the confessional?
- Observing the Feast of the Ass – 14 January
- A false #missilethreat is NOTHING compared to this REAL DEATH THREAT
- 14 Jan – Happy Feast of the Ass!
- Fr. Murray on EWTN with outstanding commentary on recent developments
- Wherein Fr. Z comments on a @RorateCaeli post about priests, permissions and exorcism prayers. Then @fatherz rants.
- Wherein @MassimoFaggioli tosses another nastygram at the “rigorist” straw man
- ASK FATHER: URGENT EMERGENCY PREDICAMENT! Mass in Presence of a Prelate but we don’t have a Pax Brede!
- How bad is the situation of vocations to the priesthood tragic Germany?
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Monthly Archives: November 2009
You may have seen that the Holy Father has a new ferula, in place of the older one from the time of Bl. Pius IX.
Pope Benedict began his pontificate using the staff of the late John Paul II. Then he … Continue reading
I received this by e-mail from a reader in the UK. I think he puts it well:
Dear Father Z
I feel moved to comment on the furore concerning Bishop Tobin and Senator Kennedy, <font color="#ff0000"><b>[Representative or Congressman Kennedy. The Senator Kennedy … Continue reading
An oldie PODCAzT about an Advent hymn.
As I wrote back then:
I decided during Advent to drill into the hymns in the Liturgia Horarum.
We begin today with the hymn for Vespers called Conditor alme siderum, with its variation … Continue reading
Under my entry about the group of political hacks, faux Catholics called Catholic Democrats (aka Sycophantic Toadies), I offered the following:
ALL: You will have read in the main entry that Sycophantic Toadies will even write your letter to the editor … Continue reading
At what became my home parish back in my native place, on Saturday mornings there was always a modest sung Mass in Latin, with incense and Gregorian chant.
People would file into the chapel and take from a basket to … Continue reading
NLM has this:
Tomorrow Pope Benedict will celebrate Pontifical Vespers as the first Vespers of the first Sunday of Advent, which also marks the beginning of the new liturgical year.
On this occasion, the Holy Father will begin to use a … Continue reading
Just how deeply sycophantic are the political toadies of the group Catholic Democrats?
They are worked up about the interchange between Bp. Tobin of Providence and pro-abortion Rep. Patrick Kennedy (D-RI). The group Catholic Democrats want abortion as … Continue reading
Fr. Dwight Longenencker has three very good recent posts on the Anglican Provisions issue:
Women’s Ordination in Context
The English Ordinariate
Anglicanorum coetibus – what next?
In another entry I ask "What’s up with that?" when it comes to the whole vampire thing and movie theatres filled with women.
In this week’s Catholic Herald, the best Catholic weekly in the UK, there is an article by Sophie … Continue reading
Third phase of Catholic/Anglican dialogue to include cooperative investigation of ‘divisive‘ issues
Vatican City, Nov 27, 2009 / 02:33 am (CNA).- An interview on Vatican Radio Wednesday morning revealed that the third phase of official dialogue between the the … Continue reading
Here is some news in the best Catholic weekly in the UK, The Catholic Herald:
Pope Benedict plans to beatify Newman during visit to BritainBy Simon Caldwell
27 November 2009
The Pope is to waive his own rules so he can preside in … Continue reading
Okay… what I suspected yesterday seems to be coming to pass.
Not feeling well has turned into feeling really sick. Cold sweat, dizzy, weak, all that…
So.. prayers, please.
From the site of the White House comes the Thanksgiving Day Proclamation by Pres. Barak Hussein Obama:
You will want to read this with your own eye and ear to the sort of language used and the concepts behind that language.
I … Continue reading
A Thanksgiving Day Proclamation… just weeks before his death:
PROCLAMATION 3560 : THANKSGIVING DAY.NOVEMBER 5, 1963.BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA A PROCLAMATION:
Over three centuries ago, our forefathers in Virginia and in Massachusetts, far from home in a … Continue reading