Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- exNOAAman: Rolling into history. Interestin g. http://sym bolic-mira ge.blogspo t.com/2018 /06/its-ti me-to-spec ulate.html ?m=1
- CandS: I looked over the Russian document from the Wilson Center site. I thought it was going to be a scan of handwritte n notes and difficult to read. It is all typed up in a PDF that can be OCRed...
- maternalView: I’m all for being charitable but there does come a time when you do have to call someone out on their behavior. I have family members who decide to ignore questions put to them...
- Dismas: Vatican I detailed the boundaries of infallibil ity. So, if someone (perhaps not even physically manifest) is determined to push for heterodoxy in the Church, yet is cognizant of an impen...
- maternalView: Everyone around him should be scrutinize d as to whether they knew or participat ed in similar behavior. I believe there are more. The Church will not flourish in the US until we root...
- Dismas: As a survivor of the Rembert Weakland episcopate , I must say that Cardinal McCarrick must have had some serious connection s, dirt, and influence at many levels in numerous places. Every...
- maternalView: Thanks be to God! Prayers were heard! Too late of notice for me to get there this weekend. But I’d sure like to be there for FatherR 17;s first Mass back!
- HvonBlumenthal: It is insufficie nt merely to say the right thing. The right thing has to be said at the right time. The right time in this case was before the vote.
- Peter Stuart: What to say. Well, 40 years ago my SSA was busting to get out and the Bishops said I should sing silly songs and vote Democrat (while they were doing all that and God knows what...
- benedetta: Also, I agree with the above poster that an Eastern Catholic patriarch at the helm would be extremely renewing for the universal Church.
- Kathleen10: robtbrown asks the proper question, why is McCarrick still a Cardinal? McCarrick is still a Cardinal because it’s [“it ’s 8221;̷ 0;??] a big boys club of disor...
- benedetta: His whole hearted offering of communion to pro abort pols in DC was suspicious , to say the least, particular ly in that his defense of the practice was incoherent and lacking in reason...
- Joy65: We Ordained 7 men to the Priesthood in our Diocese this morning. This gives me such GREAT hope and joy for Our Church. ALL Priests, Religious Brothers & Sisters, Deacons, Seminarian s,...
- Hidden One: If there̵ 7;s another sexually misbehavin g prelate who “eve ryone̶ 1; knows about̷ 0; I hope “som eone” ; speaks up now.
- Fr. Kelly: Dear Kenneth Since the Diocese of Lincoln is a small diocese, there may or may not be many who interpret it this way, but I am one of them, and in my interpreta tion I am in line with...
- Verygrateful1: Fr. Z, This letter uses exactly the same wording that was used to excuse McCarrick& #8217;s sex with adult men. Here’ ;s the quote from a National Catholic Register Article from...
- PostCatholic: “Unc le Ted” was an open secret for years. Richard Sipe has written extensivel y on his efforts to make the Apostolic Delegation and the Holy See under BXVI aware of very...
- robtbrown: The Astronomer says, It’s an unfortunat e fact that the Lavender Mafia (LM) is a notoriousl y well-known self-prote ctive network of actively sodomite clergy that alternativ ely...
- Amerikaner: He should be required to live out the rest of his days, in prayer and penance, in a monastery, particular ly one with the extraordin ary form.
- NBW: McCarrick should be removed. McCormick will have to stand before God Almighty for his actions, and for the souls he has damaged and scandalize d. God sees all and will judge accordingl y. As...
- robtbrown: Paul of St Paul, Dreher does not point out the high number of vocations. It was someone who commented. The heavy lifting was done in DC by Cardinal Hickey. Anyone ordained there by...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): The Church is infested with filth. (I seem to recall that was Pope Benedict XVI’s word.) But where are we to go? The world is even filthier. [It is horrible, but it is, on...
- David L Alexander: In 2010, I wrote the following: “I predict that in the coming decade, bishops will no longer limit themselves to turning on their priests, but will begin to turn on one...
- Southern Catholic: ” I told him that on the Catholic Right, I found a strong unwillingn ess to contemplat e the possibilit y that mandatory celibacy played a role in creating a culture of...
- Malta: I really admire Rod DreherR 11;but of course he converted to Orthodoxy after investigat ing the priest abuse scandal, and some details I won’ t repeat here. But I have a friend who...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Fr. Phillips of @SJCantius will NOT be allowed to return to public ministry after he was exonerated
- Concerning Card. McCarrick
- URGENT UPDATE – Fr. Phillips EXONERATED! UPDATED!
- Dubious dubia about the Dubia
- JUST TOO COOL: SPACE FORCE!
- ASK FATHER: What can the acolyte do and wear?
- Day 1 #ActonU – Getting Started – Days and Deaths
- “Disinformation” and some notes about the World Council of Churches
- Catholic? Why?
- “Perdonamose!” Midsummer Snails, John’s Birthday Feast and You.
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: The South
- Pres. Trump and the Brown Scapular
- WDTPRS – 4th Sunday after Pentecost: “HEY YOU!” *smack*
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Surprise article at Commonweal about participation in the Traditional Latin Mass
- Speaking of Eucharistic Processions…
- WDTPRS: 11th Ordinary Sunday – ‘firmness’ and ‘infirmity, ‘intention’ and ‘action’
- QUIZ: What is this thing? – SOLVED!
- “The finest rosaries I have ever seen” have… returned! – UPDATES
- GREEN! Photos of green vestments for Solemn Mass in production, and a pitch
- 14 June – Elisha, Old Testament Prophet: salt, bears and you.
- READER FEEDBACK to post: Why we Say The Black and Do The Red
- ASK FATHER: Validity of sacraments from a schismatic priest
- A great restoration @CathedralStPaul
- Terrific photos of traditional rite ordination in England!
- Concerning @JamesMartinSJ talking at Vatican @LaityFamilyLife sponsored @WMOF2018
- BEER @MONKSOFNORCIA PROGRESS
- Your Sunday Sermon Note Belated
- Are you downsizing? Be careful!
- Just to put your day into perspective
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Monthly Archives: November 2009
You may have seen that the Holy Father has a new ferula, in place of the older one from the time of Bl. Pius IX.
Pope Benedict began his pontificate using the staff of the late John Paul II. Then he … Continue reading
I received this by e-mail from a reader in the UK. I think he puts it well:
Dear Father Z
I feel moved to comment on the furore concerning Bishop Tobin and Senator Kennedy, <font color="#ff0000"><b>[Representative or Congressman Kennedy. The Senator Kennedy … Continue reading
An oldie PODCAzT about an Advent hymn.
As I wrote back then:
I decided during Advent to drill into the hymns in the Liturgia Horarum.
We begin today with the hymn for Vespers called Conditor alme siderum, with its variation … Continue reading
Under my entry about the group of political hacks, faux Catholics called Catholic Democrats (aka Sycophantic Toadies), I offered the following:
ALL: You will have read in the main entry that Sycophantic Toadies will even write your letter to the editor … Continue reading
At what became my home parish back in my native place, on Saturday mornings there was always a modest sung Mass in Latin, with incense and Gregorian chant.
People would file into the chapel and take from a basket to … Continue reading
NLM has this:
Tomorrow Pope Benedict will celebrate Pontifical Vespers as the first Vespers of the first Sunday of Advent, which also marks the beginning of the new liturgical year.
On this occasion, the Holy Father will begin to use a … Continue reading
Just how deeply sycophantic are the political toadies of the group Catholic Democrats?
They are worked up about the interchange between Bp. Tobin of Providence and pro-abortion Rep. Patrick Kennedy (D-RI). The group Catholic Democrats want abortion as … Continue reading
Fr. Dwight Longenencker has three very good recent posts on the Anglican Provisions issue:
Women’s Ordination in Context
The English Ordinariate
Anglicanorum coetibus – what next?
In another entry I ask "What’s up with that?" when it comes to the whole vampire thing and movie theatres filled with women.
In this week’s Catholic Herald, the best Catholic weekly in the UK, there is an article by Sophie … Continue reading
Third phase of Catholic/Anglican dialogue to include cooperative investigation of ‘divisive‘ issues
Vatican City, Nov 27, 2009 / 02:33 am (CNA).- An interview on Vatican Radio Wednesday morning revealed that the third phase of official dialogue between the the … Continue reading
Here is some news in the best Catholic weekly in the UK, The Catholic Herald:
Pope Benedict plans to beatify Newman during visit to BritainBy Simon Caldwell
27 November 2009
The Pope is to waive his own rules so he can preside in … Continue reading
Okay… what I suspected yesterday seems to be coming to pass.
Not feeling well has turned into feeling really sick. Cold sweat, dizzy, weak, all that…
So.. prayers, please.
From the site of the White House comes the Thanksgiving Day Proclamation by Pres. Barak Hussein Obama:
You will want to read this with your own eye and ear to the sort of language used and the concepts behind that language.
I … Continue reading
A Thanksgiving Day Proclamation… just weeks before his death:
PROCLAMATION 3560 : THANKSGIVING DAY.NOVEMBER 5, 1963.BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA A PROCLAMATION:
Over three centuries ago, our forefathers in Virginia and in Massachusetts, far from home in a … Continue reading