Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- APX: Little by little the thought may gradually prevail: “If even the parish priest does not pay attention to the fragments, if he administer s Communion in such a way that the fragments can be...
- hwriggles4: This reminds me (Yes, Really) of the time our 6th grade CCD class did meditation – it was the late 1970s. We closed our eyes and our instructor led us. As a kid, I didn’ ;t...
- David: Fr. Andrew: People aren’ ;t taking penalties about papal election laws very seriously these days, are they?
- David: Very, very interestin g to me this coming from Cardinal Sarah right after Cardinal MüllerR 17;s splendid remarks about the nature of the papacy. I sense the “bon i” are...
- tho: JARay, I accept your correction . What I was trying to say, in a rather clumsy way, was that allowing the so called spirit of VII to take over the church was very destructiv e.
- S D Molokai: Although not prohibited , I’ve been discourage d from receiving communion on the tongue while kneeling at my parish. Something about not showing unity with the other parishi...
- Sid Cundiff in NC: So good that someone in the upper church hierarchy is against in the hand. I’m not holding my breath for something to be done to stop in the hand.
- The ol catholic try: I think I have finally figured out why Jesuit “pov erty” ; goes a looooooooo oooong way. If they are fudging the numbers this badly then they are bound to tally some...
- rhhenry: Well, seeing as how they’ ;re already contorting themselves doctrinall y . . .
- Ave Maria: I think these truth tellers like Fathers Rutler and Murray need to watch their backs!
- Knight from 13904: I hope Raymond Arroyo covers this story on his show tonight. Ask Fr. Gerald Murray what the heck is going on in this diocese???
- Sawyer: Saint Ignatius Loyoga?
- rtjl: Hmm… .. Well, Dominicans have a way of praying with the body consisting of various prayer postures that is not yoga at all. May I recommend these instead? http://opc entral.org /resou...
- ChrisP: Spadaro, that guy from the IMF, Card Wuerl, PF …and the list goes on. They are all now quite worried, to the point of stoatish apoplexy, as the boat is leaking. Until now, it has...
- lawoski: The teaching of yoga at a Jesuit high school is not a new phenomenon . I attended a Jesuit high school on the west coast in the mid-1980 8217;s where one of the priests taught a class...
- acardnal: Fr. Rutler is likely to get Blocked on Twitter by Fr Spadaro with commentary like that! A badge of honor.
- Kathleen10: I’ve lately heard the excuse that the poses have been stripped of meaning, and are purely exercise. Nah. We had a kerfuffle in my family because someone posted a photo of their 8...
- Antonin: He is actually making excuses for Spadaro and there is no excuse. [NooooR 30; I don’ t think he’s making any excuses for Spadaro. Nope.] Spadaro clearly does not underst...
- Elizabeth D: Notice that the Jesuits are attuned to the fact that a trad looking church helps sell “Ign atian Yoga” ; retreats. Even “Ign atian Yoga” ; retreatant s donR...
- ThePapalCount: “AND THE GATES OF SHALL NOT PREVAIL AGAINST IT…& #8221; well, pretty close though.
- Elizabeth D: If it were men protestant ministers this would be just as wrong. Women can be protestant ministers, it’s just that a protestant minister is not the same thing as a priest of...
- Fr_Andrew: Sadly, that’ ;s quite tame and “con servative& #8221; sacrilege, compared to what I saw during my years in Jesuit schools. One reason I chose a different vocational “...
- Fr_Andrew: Oops! I made a slight mistake in not reading thoroughly enough. Mea culpa. If the women are Catholics (thus subject to Church law), then they, if they knew about the penalty, would...
- Fr_Andrew: Have all of these people, the catholics anyway, just excommunic ated themselves latae sententiae ? There are only nine latæ sententiæ excommunic ations (outside of Papal election law) :...
- kelleyb: God have mercy! This is outrageous and evil behavior.
CLICK and say your daily offering!
- Card. Sarah: return to Communion directly on the tongue while kneeling
- JUST TOO COOL: Recently received missal stand and statue of Our Lady
- Wherein Rutler thrashes @AntonioSpadaro
- BRAZIL: Did these bishops allow women to concelebrate Mass?
- Promoted by @JamesMartinSJ – Jesuits have yoga in church sanctuary at a school
- LENTCAzT 2018 09 – Thursday in the 1st Week of Lent: The inexhaustible virtue of the Word
- Fr. Murray on “lived experience”, “accompaniment”, “conscience”
- More news from the New catholic Red Guard
- Making the Church appealing. What “sells”?
- LENTCAzT 2018 08 – Wednesday in the 1st Week of Lent: Never ending combat
- 20 Feb – Feast of Sts Francisco and Jacinta of Fatima
- Of “paradigm shift” interest
- Spain: young people dancing a jota in reparation for blasphemy against the Blessed Virgin
- Mega-Masses and too many Hosts
- The State v. Self-Reliance
- LENTCAzT 2018 07 – Tuesday in the 1st Week of Lent: subtle temptation
- Attacks on the family
- My View For Awhile: Capital Edition
- Books for boys. Suggested titles and an additional point.
- LENTCAzT 2018 06 – Monday in the 1st Week of Lent: “I warned you!”
- Wherein Fr Longenecker schools @JamesMartinSJ
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS 1st Sunday of Lent (N.O.): The Lenten “Sacrament”
- LENTCAzT 2018 05 – 1st Sunday of Lent: Anger and Reason
- Commandments are NOT mere “ideals” from which some are excused because, “They’re tooo haaard!” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- JUST TOO COOL – Cops, ashes, and podcasts
- VIDEO Fr. Murray and Prof. Royal on some tough issues
- LENTCAzT 2018 04 – Ash Saturday: Getting ready for… it.
- Pontifical Requiem Mass for a great lover of the Church’s sacred liturgy
- LENTCAzT 2018 03 – Ash Friday: Grant me a little more time
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Monthly Archives: November 2009
Bp. Tobin… Chris Matthews… you decide.
Coffee… good coffee… is a sine qua non for me. I suspect some of you feel the same way. Do any of you have experience of these new "k-cup" single serve machines? There is a WSJ story … Continue reading
Based on your response to PODCAzT 93 & 94, and my own desire to drill more deeply into the issue, we welcome back as our guest Pope Paul VI (+1978).
In PART I we explored Paul’s General Audience of 26 November … Continue reading
Tell us about your good news!
We could all use it.
I hear that this new vampire flick is bringing in money by the coffin load.
I hear also that most of the audience in these theaters are female.
What’s with that?
On 24 Nov, Wednesday, Bishop Tobin of Providence, Rhode Island will be on Bill O’Reilly’s show on FoxNews.
USNews & World Report has a POLL on Bishop Tobin’s decision to ask pro-abortion Catholic Rep. Patrick Kennedy not to receive Holy Communion.
You know what to do.
Here is the question:
Should America’s Roman Catholic bishops ask elected officials who support abortion … Continue reading
Vatican City, Nov 23, 2009 / 01:22 pm (CNA).- Cardinal Walter Kasper, president of the Pontifical Council for Christian Unity, explained last week that the entrance of Anglicans into the Catholic Church is the fruit of authentic ecumenism inspired … Continue reading
From a reader:
My son is due to make his First Communion next spring. Since our family attends the extraordinary form of the Mass at St Kevin’s in Dublin, I was concerned that his teacher might not understand the differences between … Continue reading
From a reader:
Father Z,I’m not sure if you saw it, but there’s an interesting quote from Mario Cuomo in an article of fox news. "In 1984, former Democratic New York Gov. Mario Cuomo, a Catholic who supported abortion rights and … Continue reading
A friend of mine in the Oxford Newman Society alerted me to pics online of their Mass for the term. It was the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
This Mass was in the chapel of Corpus Christi College, Oxford.Check them … Continue reading
I posted about the decision of Bp. Tobin of Providence, Rhode Island to ask pro-abortion Catholic Rep. Patrick Kennedy (D-RI) not to present himself for Holy Communion.
Bishop Tobin has pointed out that Rep. Kennedy’s pro-abortion stance is incompatible with … Continue reading
I had some bad news tonight, and ask for the support of prayers.
Not only for me.
You know how in some feature films when there is a disaster or an asteroid is about to wipe out the earth, they flash various shots of different religious communities praying in the face of impending doom?
In Apollo 13 we … Continue reading
Do you have your Ordo for the new liturgical year?
In an AP story we read about the next step in the Catholic Church’s reclamation of the public square.
We have read about Bp. Tobin of Providence and Rep. Patrick Kennedy (D-RI) before.
My emphases and comments.
RI bishop asked Kennedy in 2007 … Continue reading
Vespers having been recited, I am now enjoying a fire and British detective series on DVD.
I can’t believe that photo is from my phone…. anyway…
And it’s deer season!
It sounds like a war zone around here … Continue reading
From today’s meeting between His Holiness the Vicar of Christ and the Anglican Archbishop of Canterbury:
From The Catholic Key of Kansas City, MO.
The National Catholic Youth Conference is in full swing.
In another entry, about the priest/penitent privilege and a state’s violation of the same we read:
I don’t believe it is likely that secret eavesdropping on conversations between priests and penitents is a growing trend in this country, but the … Continue reading