Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Click the image below (they took away our search box!). Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's Fr. Z's
"catholic" search for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Fallibilissimo: I don’t know if I’m falling prey to Poe’s law of the internet here. I’m fully appreciati ve of the need for society finding solutions to and fighting the effects of glabal warming...
- JonPatrick: All of our statues, images, and crosses were covered, even the little crosses on the flagpoles. After Jesus says in effect “I AM is my name” ; that is calling himself God, he...
- Deacon Ed Peitler: Looking for reverentia l Catholic liturgies? Come to Front Royal, Virginia. You have your choice of St. John the Baptist Church or, if you child is lucky enough to get into...
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father!
- fishonthehill: In a previous parish I used to hear confession s in a “rea l” confession al that had a telephone receiver from the 1950s for the hearing impaired
- pcharbel: All statues and images were covered except St. Joseph. But don’ t get too comfortabl e, Joe — after we celebrate your feast tomorrow, it’l l be time for a little nap.
- Ultrarunner: Except when it would violate attorney-c lient privilege, prison calls, even face to face on a visitor basis, are almost always monitored and recorded. In the 19th century, telegr...
- JustaSinner: So no confession s from the astronauts on the ISS in low Earth orbit?
- roma247: Before everyone vents spleen over this, please, everybody, reflect: IF–a nd this is a very big IF–t his were any sort of move on the part of the Archdioces e intended to harm...
- Carrie: I wouldn’t assume Cardinal Cupich is out to destroy a priest any more than I would assume an accusation against a priest is true— until there is an investigat ion and verdict. And even...
- Fr. Reader: I wonder if the one hiding, editing and changing the words of our Pope Emeritus wants to lie to us only, or he also is lying to himself. I find really difficult to reconcile the service...
- Fr. Reader: @Mike. Not everything should be mixed with that generaliza tion called “Nov us Ordo” ; that is as imaginary as the “Spi rit of the Vatican II”. There are many...
- MotherTeresa: This is infuriatin g. I know nothing of the situation at St. John Cantius, but I am aware of several outrageous ly scandalous situations that were tolerated and ignored by Bishop...
- Elizabeth D: The page on the Cantius website that had the Canons Regular comment/st atement about the Fr Phillips allegation s does not have that anymore and just says “For questions and...
- frjim4321: Started homily by reciting the 27 words of Amendment II, which is in the news particular ly due to the support of the Parkland survivors demonstrat ed this past Thursday morning by tens...
- Anchorite: Your assessment of the matter is absolutely on the spot, Fr. Z. I’ve worried about the fate of this parish and anyone involved in running it from the moment Cupich was assigned to...
- Front Pew View: Thank you for including the ellipsis between “jai l” and “aga in” in your penultimat e sentence!
- WmHesch: I’d imagine the problem with confession by telegraph and telephone has to do with jurisdicti on… Both the confession and absolution would literally be traveling thru places the...
- Toan: “I love to see Thee bring to naught the plans of wily men. When simple hearts outwit the wise, O Thou art lovliest then.̶ 1; -Frederick Faber, The Will of God Amazing how this one...
- APX: Our statues were veiled after Mass.
- Michael Haz: I don’ t know Fr. Phillips. I attended Mass at St. John Cantius only once, when I travelled to Chicago for that specific puropse. So I don’ t have an investment in this...
- Matt C. Abbott: I’m keeping the Canons Regular in my prayers. They’ ;re good priests.
- jaykay: Images not yet veiled, but will be next Sunday. The veiling was dropped for a few years (it having always been on first Passion Sunday before that, as long as I could remember – back...
- APX: Another issue that I don’ t know if many priests realize, but in jails (at least the ones in Canada), everything is recorded both via video and audio. I asked a priest about this, who...
- LeeGilbert: Although the confession is sacramenta lly valid, [Which was the point of the question.] the technology lends itself to grave abuse as Fr. Tim Mockaitis from the Archdioces e of Portl...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- A charming 15th century view of St. Joseph
- My View For Awhile: Northward
- Author of “The Dictator Pope” revealed (officially) and book format now available
- LENTCAzT 2018 34 – Monday – 5th Week of Lent, Passiontide: sin makes you stoopid
- ASK FATHER: Absolution at jail through glass, phone in visitor’s room
- The fruits of dumbing everything down, down, ever down.
- REALLY BAD NEWS from St. John Cantius in Chicago – @SJCantius
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes and Passion Sunday POLL: veils on images
- LENTCAzT 2018 33 – 1st Passion Sunday, 5th of Lent: marked with the light of Thy countenance
- Dumb down liturgy. Great idea, right?
- UPDATE: Even more comes about The Letter™: additional missing text
- FSSP North America Blog
- WDTPRS 5th Sunday of Lent: Undergoing liturgical death
- “Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me,…” The Lorica of St Patrick
- LENTCAzT 2018 32 – Saturday in the 4th Week of Lent: ungenerous, unscrupulous
- UPDATES – More of and about The Letter™ of Benedict XVI on the booklets
- Fr. Stravinskas breaks it down to the essential
- The Three Days of Darkness 2018 are underway in LA!
- STATIONS OF THE CROSS – Audio from Fr. Z
- LENTCAzT 2018 31 – Friday in the 4th Week of Lent: Innocence, Penitence, Priesthood
- ASK FATHER: Blessing objects through plastic wrapper, box, etc.
- UPDATE – JUST TOO COOL! Battle Flag of LEPANTO reproduction available!
- Card. Kasper: homosexual relationships are analogous to marriages
- LENTCAzT 2018 30 – Thursday in the 4th Week of Lent: Priests and confidence
- NEEDFUL BOOKS NOTICE and a maternal CHALLENGE COIN update
- A “digital” Synod?
- LENTCAzT 2018 29 – Wednesday in the 4th Week of Lent: Suicidal Secularization v. The Mass
- My View For Awhile: Maternal Edition
- UK: 29 April 2018 – Rosary on the Coast – London Oratory Trip to Ramsgate
- LENTCAzT 2018 28 – Tuesday in the 4th Week of Lent: “They would pay any price for an hour!”
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Daily Archives: 7 January 2010
Here on WDTPRS we had a POLL about whether or not the sedia gestatoria should be revived for the sake of the security of the person of the Roman Pontiff, at least in the Basilica of St. Peter.
* … Continue reading
I was surfing around looking for some information and found this (the internet is so fascinating) on the blog After Existentialism, Light.
“[Doubt] is altogether a pernicious companion which has its origin not in the good creation of God but in … Continue reading
From a reader:
I must drive 1.5 hours minimum (in good driving conditions) to attend an EF mass. There is only the […] offering it before noon. I have 7, soon to be 8 children. There are easily 12 parishes within … Continue reading
From a reader:
But I can’t post to your forum. I am an extraordinary minister of the Eucharist for my parish, serving the homebound. I receive communion at mass, then take the Eucharist to those who are sick. Sometimes they cannot … Continue reading
I had a note from someone this morning saying that the writer’s parish priest in his parish bulletin had urged people to fight against the new English translation of the Roman Missal and sign the a dissenting online petition.
Perhaps parish … Continue reading
Check these out…
Msgr. Guido Marini on liturgical issues: active participation
Bp. Vasa: excommunication can be appropriate
President Obama, the Vatican and ‘Common Ground’: His First Year in Review [important]
QUAERITUR: Holy Communion twice in one day… did I sin?
QUAERITUR: about what a priest … Continue reading