Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Click the image below (they took away our search box!). Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's Fr. Z's
"catholic" search for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- The Egyptian: and here I naively thought that our goverment had the only swamp that needed draining, seems the Vatican has a 1800 year head start on DCs foggy bottoms
- Sawyer: @tamrantho r, Gomez has had seven years to improve things. He hasn’ ;t. He demands that politician s take immediate action on political and social causes he cares about, but he has...
- TKS: I had EWTN radio on a couple of hours ago and there was a broadcast from the LA REC. I’m seldom listening to EWTN anymore as more and more of those priests/bi shops/card inals I don...
- TonyO: Emilio, I too had hoped that Archbishop Gomez would turn things around in LA. However, while almost ANY bishop was likely to be a big step up from Cardinal Mahoney, from the moment I heard...
- richiedel: Gotta love the statement by Ambrogetti : “ 230;the last paragraph in no way changes the significan ce of Benedict 8217;s previous comments.& #8221; They weren̵ 7;t previ...
- robtbrown: Msgr. Dario ViganòR 11;or whoever was behind this disaster 8211;is both shrewd and naive-stup id. Shrewd because he knows he is practicing CYA by reading the entire letter, while...
- JustaSinner: Dancing puppets? Wombyn Bishops? A “fab ulous̶ 1; priest fashion show? Did I miss anything? I mean, other than the presence of the Holy Ghost̷ 0;
- Grateful to be Catholic: Does anyone else think it’s strange that, back in the 60s, just as internatio nal travel and satellite communicat ions were becoming common and globalizat ion was...
- tamranthor: I guess it is appropriat e for them to hold this “eve nt” during Lent. Looking at that material is certainly penitentia l. For those who believe the newish Archbishop should...
- QuietContemplative: Conversati ons of this nature always put me to mind of the quote by Chesterton : In the matter of reforming things, as distinct from deforming them, there is one plain and...
- maternalView: One of the ideas I’ve been trying to emphasize to my teen is to judge something by whether it helps you see and strive for the good, the true and the beautiful. I didn’ ;t...
- tho: If you are in hell as an unrepentan t sodomite, or, possibly an adulterer, could it be possible that Cardinal Kasper and Pope Francis will make the forgivenes s of those Mortal sins retroac...
- Peter Stuart: God bless you indeed, Vincent196 7. Characters like Kasper and James Martin make me feel very weird and isolated. As another SSA Catholic struggling to be faithful, it’s very...
- David: The most ominous of the items in that list of interests to me is “Sem inary ReformR 21;. These people know that the single element most destructiv e to their program for the Church...
- TonyO: Egyptian, I think the acronym should be Ass o’US CatP . To pronounce that: (you have to read this phonetical ly) ass o us cat pee. Just doing a public service for geriatrics who...
- Semper Gumby: Fr. Z wrote: …the effect of a Sunday morning Asperges! Amen! [“He y, Scratch! CATCH!R 21;]
- Spade: “Ove r and above that, for a universal Church (in an age of high mobility), the ability to worship in a common language is most important. ” A year or so ago one of my favor...
- Emilio: What I don’t understand is how this event has been allowed to continue all of these years under the leadership of Archbishop Gómez. It’s a yearly nutfest of heterodoxy , disguised as a...
- JesusFreak84: I’m amazed they actually said “ord aining married men” instead of “let ting priests marry.R 21; That’ ;s more accuracy than I would̵ 7;ve expec...
- maternalView: May I suggest that those who wish to be dismissive of your valid points on getting the liturgy right first know exactly what they are doing? They know you are correct. But it takes...
- The Egyptian: [Hey! It’s an abbreviati on!] more like an aberration a departure from what is normal, usual, or expected, typically one that is unwelcome. synonyms: anomaly, deviation, depart...
- Sconnius: Yeah, the Shrine status left IHM when Fr Mersberger was reassigned to a different parish but our current pastor is working on a small side project to get the status back. Alas, the...
- ChiaraDiAssisi: @ The Chicken, God love you, really. Your comments are always quite informativ e and helpful. While I cannot pretend it wasn’ ;t painful to read your original reply, I bet the...
- rcg: Wow! Nice shooting, Ma Z. I guess it really does take a Spartan woman to bear a Spartan man. (“Z” does not stand for “Zeugma”).
- acardnal: I think folks should Tweet EWTN and thank them for NOT broadcasti ng this event this year as they have done in the past. Mother Angelica would be pleased.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Dumb down liturgy. Great idea, right?
- Even more comes about The Letter™: additional missing text
- FSSP North America Blog
- WDTPRS 5th Sunday of Lent: Undergoing liturgical death
- “Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me,…” The Lorica of St Patrick
- LENTCAzT 2018 32 – Saturday in the 4th Week of Lent: ungenerous, unscrupulous
- UPDATES – More of and about The Letter™ of Benedict XVI on the booklets
- Fr. Stravinskas breaks it down to the essential
- The Three Days of Darkness 2018 are underway in LA!
- STATIONS OF THE CROSS – Audio from Fr. Z
- LENTCAzT 2018 31 – Friday in the 4th Week of Lent: Innocence, Penitence, Priesthood
- ASK FATHER: Blessing objects through plastic wrapper, box, etc.
- UPDATE – JUST TOO COOL! Battle Flag of LEPANTO reproduction available!
- Card. Kasper: homosexual relationships are analogous to marriages
- LENTCAzT 2018 30 – Thursday in the 4th Week of Lent: Priests and confidence
- NEEDFUL BOOKS NOTICE and a maternal CHALLENGE COIN update
- A “digital” Synod?
- LENTCAzT 2018 29 – Wednesday in the 4th Week of Lent: Suicidal Secularization v. The Mass
- My View For Awhile: Maternal Edition
- UK: 29 April 2018 – Rosary on the Coast – London Oratory Trip to Ramsgate
- LENTCAzT 2018 28 – Tuesday in the 4th Week of Lent: “They would pay any price for an hour!”
- READER FEEDBACK: “I want to be treated as an adult when it comes to catechesis and the Sacred Liturgy.”
- @CatholicCincy repudiates @JamesMartinSJ et al. homosexualist event
- Priestly Feedback: “entirely familiar realm in an entirely hostile world”
- LENTCAzT 2018 27 – Monday in the 4th Week of Lent: Which of the sons am I?
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes and a ‘Laetare’ Sunday ROSE POLL
- Bulletin blurb from 1967 from a Long Island Parish
- JUST TOO COOL: Unboxing my new portable altar – UPDATED!
- LENTCAzT 2018 26 – 4th Sunday of Lent – Laetare: Benedict XVI on confession
- Communion in the hand. Wherein Fr. Z rants and provokes.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Daily Archives: 26 April 2010
I would like to ask your help.
If you would care to write some reactions to the Pontifical Mass at the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception for the anniversary of the Holy Father’s pontificate… if you watched it on TV or … Continue reading
Many of you have expressed how you wish you could have attended the Pontifical Mass at the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington, D.C. You have probably read various accounts posted in the Catholic blogosphere.
Here is from from The … Continue reading
The Diocese of Tulsa has created a page with Bp. Slattery’s sermon and also a moderated combox for comments. You don’t have to register.
May I request you readers to go over to that site, boost their stats in a way … Continue reading
I read the following from VIS. It is here in Italian:
INHABITING THE DIGITAL UNIVERSE WITH A BELIEVING HEART
VATICAN CITY, 24 APR 2010 (VIS) – This morning the Holy Father addressed participants in the congress: "Digital Witnesses. Faces and languages in … Continue reading
L.A. Catholic wrote about the spectacular Traditional Pontifical Mass at the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington DC and then mused:
Wonder when the Latin Mass will next be celebrated at the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels here … Continue reading
There are advantages to being in Chinatown!
The is a small walkdown place where noodles are made on the spot… right out of central casting: Chinatown Express!
They make dumplings too! Must try soon.
A curious piece in the Financial News with a stupid headline:
Vatican backs new equities index
Phil Craig26 Apr 2010
Investors are being invited to put money into a new Catholic equities index that is being backed by the Vatican, at a time … Continue reading
Our friends at Rorate have captured a photo of what appears to be the prelude to what may be an invasion of Earth by the Zorkons.
The red cube, according to Messa in Latino, is what is currently used as the … Continue reading
From the Laudator:
H. Allen Smith, "The Achievement of H.T. Wensel," in Clifton Fadiman, ed., The Mathematical Magpie (New York: Simon and Schuster, 1962), pp. 141-142 (at 142): The exact temperature of hell cannot be computed, but it must be less … Continue reading
A couple days I noticed a story in the Daily Telegraph about the memos circulating in the UK’s Foreign Office about the Pope’s upcoming visit.
Here is a taste.
Ministers apologise for insult to Pope
The Government has apologised to the Pope over … Continue reading