Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- LarryW2LJ: I read an article in the Wall Street Journal by C.C Pecknold, that at the time of the 2002 Dallas Conference , Pope John Paul II recommende d that the US Bishops hold a “Day of...
- G1j: The Church is in wait it out mode again. Lay low and offer no pathway to fix the issue. Only monetary contributi ons I will make going forward is with the monthly Fuel Offering envelope. All...
- Prayerful: One particular advantage of an SSPX chapel is that it will be available in a year’ ;s time or whenever a wedding might happen. A diocesan TLM is, in too many places, exists under a...
- Gregg the Obscure: Abp. Samuel Aquila has asked each priest in the Archdioces e of Denver to offer a public Mass of Reparation every month. The request came out earlier this week, so I have not yet...
- Stephanus83: In the Diocese of Richmond, our Bishop announced a Mass of Atonement for victims of abuse two days ago. The invitation doesn̵ 7;t include the word reparation , but atonement is an...
- jaykay: rhhenry: “Why is the dalmatic (I think that’s what is on the far right) in purple? Will the World Family meeting last until Advent? 221; It’s a dalmatic, Jim, but not as we...
- WVC: From the Cathedral of St. Paul’ ;s in Birmingham , AL (Bishop Baker) In response to the recent scandals, the new Saturday morning Mass will be offered for the following intentions : On...
- Semper Gumby: Thank you to Fr. Z and the other signatorie s.
- MrsMacD: Are there pointy hats to match? Humour aside, it’s disgracefu l. They’ ;re purposely making the vestments ugly to get people to associate the Mass with ugliness, to make them,...
- erick: I also hear nothing about seeing that justice be done. It’s an outrage.
- Credoh: To be clear, I don’ t mean at all to advocate maximum force, just that we were taught as teenagers, that if necessary it was morally permissibl e.
- Credoh: In the 70s when I was at school we were taught that it was permissibl e to kill in defence of life and chastity.
- Andreas: Father Z. is spot on with regard to his recommenda tion that all be trained in the fine art of self-defen se. One need only see how, for example, pilots most often respond to emergencie s...
- Imrahil: But it seems like it’s somehow written into church law that these bishops and priests have a life time gig. It doesn’t matter what a failure you are or how guilty you look. You’re there...
- CanukFrank: I would also advise taking a sanctioned and recognized Krav Maga self defence class. With the easy to learn basic techniques these swift, aggressive and emphatic strikes will leave the...
- Thomas: This just in from Rome, the penalty of degradatio n is now “ina dmissible as an attack on the inviolabil ity and dignity of the personR 21;.
- Chuck Ludd: It seems reasonable to me for bishops to call their clergy together for a day of reparation or suggestion a routine of reparation , including mortificat ion of the flesh (I know that is...
- Thomas: I work in corporate America. If you are an executive, I don’ t care how high up, and you get caught in a scandal like this, you get fired immediatel y. As in a security guard ushers...
- Michael Haz: It looks like beachwear. Cover-ups worn to and from the beach on cooler days.
- andia: I am almost crying at this. It hurts to read it, how much more so would it be to have to preform this rite. This type of fortitude is need now.
- veritas vincit: Joy65: I agree with you completely . Now is not the time to cut and run, but to join the battle, on our knees. We need to place our faith in Jesus Christ and His Church, not in weak...
- LA: More than 20 bishops in the various dioceses in the USA already have given this delegation to SSPX priests. Only one or two have caused difficulti es.
- Akita: Indeed, it sounds like you might even attend wearing bells! Promises to be jubilant, solemn and the bride won’t be letting it all hang out!
- Spade: lol, I either posted that as, or didn’ ;t notice, that Father Z had used the same French reference to a Brit admiral.
- Spade: We should have a few of these, or more than a few, done at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception upper church, broadcast live on EWTN pour encourager les autres.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- ASK FATHER: Lethal force against homosexual aggression in seminary?
- Search within the text for the word “reparation”. Zero.
- ASK FATHER: Can I go to a wedding at an SSPX chapel?
- Wherein Fr. Z offers one of the hardest posts he has ever written
- Yeahhh… this is exactly the right time to dress our clergy in pastels.
- The Rite of Degradation From The Order of Priesthood. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Fr Z calls for solidarity
- The PA Grand Jury Report
- AN OPEN APPEAL TO THE CARDINALS OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH
- ASK FATHER: Your questions weigh heavily
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- ASK FATHER: “I now have doubt about sorting the doctrinal from the papal opinion.” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- ASK FATHER: Faithful, active women religious. Where to go?
- Insightful observation about Pope Francis – UPDATES!
- St. Maximilian Kolbe, priest, martyr, ham radio operator, intercede for dissident ‘c’atholic media!
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Beans in a bottle, and Beans in a bubble.
- A Tale of Two Churches
- Your Good News – Mass for Benefactors
- Non-Catholics and Catholics alike wonder about changes to CCC 2276 on death penalty
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – UPDATE: Photos of seminarians Solemn Mass
- PODCAzT 165: Liturgical battles lost and won… and lost; don Camillo (Part X)
- Super creepy poster for “gay” conference reveals agenda
- Controversy over the Holy Father’s substitution of CCC 2267 continues.
- Omnium Gatherum: Francis falling, beans in flasks, Fishwrap’s Defarge, sexual abuse by nuns
- ASK FATHER: Invalidly married niece coming to visit with husband. What to do?
- ASK FATHER: Our Lady, Queen of the Clergy – “Young priests would like to know more…”
- “Association of the Lord’s Body with the needs of our bodies, and of his Blood with the needs of our souls…”
- “Twelve priests celebrated the traditional Mass for the first time during…”
- Archd. BOSTON – @bostoncatholic – Seminary and Cathedral
- WDTPRS – 19th Ordinary Sunday: trusting audacity and harrowing consolation
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Monthly Archives: May 2010
No frills vespers from the Breviarium Romanum, though I sing the hymn Ave maris stella.
The Blessed Virgin compared to the Air we Breathe.Gerard Manley Hopkins, 1918
Wild air, world-mothering air,Nestling me everywhere,That each eyelash or hairGirdles; goes home betwixtThe fleeciest, … Continue reading
From CNA comes an interesting point about the Four Last Things, which you should be thinking of constantly and your evening examination of conscience.
We have heard straight talk from Msgr. Scicluna before, about graviora delicta committed by priests who harm … Continue reading
This is from National Terror Alert boiling down an article in The Times…
Israel Stations Nuclear Missile Subs off Iran
May 30, 2010 by national
Three German-built Israeli submarines equipped with nuclear cruise missiles are to be deployed in the Gulf near … Continue reading
UPDATE 1 June 0455 GMT:
I have learned that the reporter did not get it wrong. There are indeed bound copies of the new translation of the Roman Missal with gilt-edged pages. There were presentation copies for the Holy Father and … Continue reading
As a follow up to the entry about the problems at the seminary in Maynooth, Ireland.. which if memory serves is triste scriptu the only seminary in Ireland… Ireland…
This is from the VIS:
PRESS RELEASE OF THE HOLY SEE ON THE … Continue reading
Am I simple and unsophisticated, or is this authentically daft?
From the "arts" section of Hell’s Bible…
700-Hour Silent Opera Reaches Finale at MoMA
At 5 p.m. Monday the longest piece of performance art on record, and certainly the one with the largest … Continue reading
I received a note from a Irish priest friend about articles in the Irish Daily Mail concerning problems at the seminary in Maynooth. I had planned to write about it, but others have done some of the heavy lifting already.
This … Continue reading
Consider that this is Memorial Day weekend.
With a biretta tip to Sancte Pater this from the San Diego Union Tribune.
John Finn, hero at Pearl Harbor, dies at 100
Ex-sailor was oldest living Medal of Honor recipient
By Blanca Gonzalez, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF … Continue reading
On Sundays people should, if they can, get together for a nice meal, something a little different.
I didn’t poll on this one, because I knew what I was going to make.
It was time to crack, once again, Julia Child’s Mastering … Continue reading
I will be in NYC from Friday 4 June until Saturday 12 June.
On the evening of Friday 4 June I will have the 6:30 pm Missa Cantata in the Extraordinary Form at Holy Innocents.
On 11 June I will speak … Continue reading
Vor the tired brethren…. Vespers from the older, traditional form of the Office.
No frills… well most of it is no frills…. I sing the hymn, Magnificat antiphon and Magnificat.
It is a feast, after all, and the liturgical (if not calendrical) … Continue reading
No eye has seen and no ear has heard what God has prepared for those who attain the bliss of heaven.
Christ has won for us the most precious gift of all: membership in the Kingdom of God.
It is a membership … Continue reading
From a reader…. it is clearly peony season!
One of these would be perfect for new priests. … older priests too, come to think of it.
Ah peonies…. in the back yard of one of the many places I lived as a … Continue reading
The new issue of New Jesuit Review is available and there are good articles in it.
Lessongs from Matteo Ricci for the Presentby Fr. David A. Brown, SJ
Ignatian Obedience in the Light of the Spiritual Exercisesby Fr. Andrew Garcia, SJ
Ignatius … Continue reading