Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- hwriggles4: My diocese began doing the “Lea ve the Light On” campaign circa 2008, not long after a new bishop arrived. Our newer bishop (arrived last year) is continuing the “...
- YoungLatinMassGuy: It is amazing to me… The Bishops, and the priests and deacons as well, have all managed to turn the Most Epic story in human history, filled with intrigue, betraya...
- Mike: What sells? At least the last time I checked, the posters promoting diocesan vocations and the Retirement Fund for Religious portrayed traditiona l-looking priests, brothers and sisters. Not...
- Antonin: The problem with Spadaro and many of the Italian prelates and western European ones is that they are not accustomed to democracy and the kind of free speech that occurs within the United...
- Fallibilissimo: These discussion s on conscience are all fine and dandy but, speaking of concrete lived experience , maybe it’s time we start hearing something about what obedience and disobed...
- Malta: You are too funny Father! “cat holic Red Guard.R 21; No one who reads your posts could miss that nuance! ToucheR 11;well said!
- Imrahil: Dear JesusFreak 84, or, you could reconsider your position (which is apparently “the State is the Christian& #8217;s enemy̶ 1;) in favor of the Catholic position, which is that...
- Pharisee: Henry VIII didn’ ;t want to keep his wedding vows. What’ ;s happening now is the popularisa tion of that oath-break ing. Christ points towards Calvary. We must renounce sin, and...
- Bunky: My late father, who loved Vatican II, had actually seen the Pope’ ;s demonstrat ion of the New Mass back then. At the time, he said, priests had a question as to who, precisely, would...
- FrankWalshingham: Living in DC, I have seen then let Dominican priests from across the street and FSSP priests say Mass in the Extraordin ary Form at the Basilica. Its a shame they are discrim...
- JARay: I would be quite happy to echo what the writer above me here has written were it not for the last paragraph saying that Pope Pius X was clairvoyan t and Pope Paul VI was destructiv e. Maybe...
- benedetta: Far from “accompani ment”, this seems much more an abandonmen t.
- Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda: What in Hell is Cupich talling about?
- David L Alexander: The experience s of others notwithsta nding (and which from my own experience are quite plausible) , the Chapel of Our Lady of Lourdes has a Traditiona l Mass scheduled for every...
- SenexCalvus: Suburbanba nshee writes: “It’s almost as if rewards and punishment s are part of one’s lived experience . It even seems that rewarding good behavior while repenting and amending from...
- Kathleen10: Sorry, one more thought after the fact. When you stop and consider this is a high ranking priest calling for a man to lose his actual job, his employment , it boggles the mind. Raymond...
- oldCatholigirl: Beautiful music! And elegant Collect from the EF. However, in our culture, tempura could hardly be considered a penitentia l food. For me, anyway, it would be a special treat.
- Sportsfan: G.A. Henty wrote a book on the war in the Vendee called No Surrender! A Tale Of The Rising In La Vendee.
- Kathleen10: So we’r e about to see how EWTN feels about things. It’s not going to be possible to avoid taking a position, for or against. There are a lot of fence sitters but that...
- JonathanTX: I wonder if these Bishops and others in the Church are actively trying to destroy it, or are just completely blind to the logical end that this subjectivi sm leads to. If something as...
- richdel: When using data (what the conscience of those with “liv ed experience ” tells us) to drive decisions (discernin g in what manner doctrine is developing ) we need the proper...
- Mary Jane: Antonin, you have a point about learning to work with all kinds of people and get along. I know that can be a weakness of homeschool ing – there is a possibilit y the homeschool ed...
- Ave Crux: Bishop Serratelli , of the Paterson Diocese in NJ, also asks each year that all the parishes in the diocese schedule Confession s on Monday of each week during Lent in addition to their...
- New Sister: @Suburbanb anshee & @guadete thank you for the informatio n search – I appreciate having it! A colleague also found it here, https://ad oremus.org /2007/12/3 1/Domus...
- Gus Barbarigo: Today (Feb. 21st) is the feast of another very timely saint, Peter Damian: https://ww w.lifesite news.com/n ews/interv iew-how-st .-peter-da mian-confr onted-the- plague-of- homose...
CLICK and say your daily offering!
- Promoted by @JamesMartinSJ – Jesuits have yoga in church sanctuary at a school
- LENTCAzT 2018 09 – Thursday in the 1st Week of Lent: The inexhaustible virtue of the Word
- Fr. Murray on “lived experience”, “accompaniment”, “conscience”
- More news from the New catholic Red Guard
- Making the Church appealing. What “sells”?
- LENTCAzT 2018 08 – Wednesday in the 1st Week of Lent: Never ending combat
- 20 Feb – Feast of Sts Francisco and Jacinta of Fatima
- Of “paradigm shift” interest
- Spain: young people dancing a jota in reparation for blasphemy against the Blessed Virgin
- Mega-Masses and too many Hosts
- The State v. Self-Reliance
- LENTCAzT 2018 07 – Tuesday in the 1st Week of Lent: subtle temptation
- Attacks on the family
- My View For Awhile: Capital Edition
- Books for boys. Suggested titles and an additional point.
- LENTCAzT 2018 06 – Monday in the 1st Week of Lent: “I warned you!”
- Wherein Fr Longenecker schools @JamesMartinSJ
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS 1st Sunday of Lent (N.O.): The Lenten “Sacrament”
- LENTCAzT 2018 05 – 1st Sunday of Lent: Anger and Reason
- Commandments are NOT mere “ideals” from which some are excused because, “They’re tooo haaard!” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- JUST TOO COOL – Cops, ashes, and podcasts
- VIDEO Fr. Murray and Prof. Royal on some tough issues
- LENTCAzT 2018 04 – Ash Saturday: Getting ready for… it.
- Pontifical Requiem Mass for a great lover of the Church’s sacred liturgy
- LENTCAzT 2018 03 – Ash Friday: Grant me a little more time
- Role of #MSM in mass shootings: If it bleeds, it leads. Angry @fatherz asks fearful questions
- Wherein Fr. Z rants in the wake of the Florida school mass murder
- Friday after Ash Wednesday: Feast of the Crown of Thorns
- LENTCAzT 2018 02 – Ash Thursday: What you are I was, what I am you shall be.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Monthly Archives: May 2010
No frills vespers from the Breviarium Romanum, though I sing the hymn Ave maris stella.
The Blessed Virgin compared to the Air we Breathe.Gerard Manley Hopkins, 1918
Wild air, world-mothering air,Nestling me everywhere,That each eyelash or hairGirdles; goes home betwixtThe fleeciest, frailest-flixedSnowflake; … Continue reading
From CNA comes an interesting point about the Four Last Things, which you should be thinking of constantly and your evening examination of conscience.
We have heard straight talk from Msgr. Scicluna before, about graviora delicta committed by priests who harm … Continue reading
This is from National Terror Alert boiling down an article in The Times…
Israel Stations Nuclear Missile Subs off Iran
May 30, 2010 by national
Three German-built Israeli submarines equipped with nuclear cruise missiles are to be deployed in the Gulf near … Continue reading
UPDATE 1 June 0455 GMT:
I have learned that the reporter did not get it wrong. There are indeed bound copies of the new translation of the Roman Missal with gilt-edged pages. There were presentation copies for the Holy Father and … Continue reading
As a follow up to the entry about the problems at the seminary in Maynooth, Ireland.. which if memory serves is triste scriptu the only seminary in Ireland… Ireland…
This is from the VIS:
PRESS RELEASE OF THE HOLY SEE ON THE … Continue reading
Am I simple and unsophisticated, or is this authentically daft?
From the "arts" section of Hell’s Bible…
700-Hour Silent Opera Reaches Finale at MoMA
At 5 p.m. Monday the longest piece of performance art on record, and certainly the one with the largest … Continue reading
I received a note from a Irish priest friend about articles in the Irish Daily Mail concerning problems at the seminary in Maynooth. I had planned to write about it, but others have done some of the heavy lifting already.
This … Continue reading
Consider that this is Memorial Day weekend.
With a biretta tip to Sancte Pater this from the San Diego Union Tribune.
John Finn, hero at Pearl Harbor, dies at 100
Ex-sailor was oldest living Medal of Honor recipient
By Blanca Gonzalez, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF … Continue reading
On Sundays people should, if they can, get together for a nice meal, something a little different.
I didn’t poll on this one, because I knew what I was going to make.
It was time to crack, once again, Julia Child’s Mastering … Continue reading
I will be in NYC from Friday 4 June until Saturday 12 June.
On the evening of Friday 4 June I will have the 6:30 pm Missa Cantata in the Extraordinary Form at Holy Innocents.
On 11 June I will speak … Continue reading
Vor the tired brethren…. Vespers from the older, traditional form of the Office.
No frills… well most of it is no frills…. I sing the hymn, Magnificat antiphon and Magnificat.
It is a feast, after all, and the liturgical (if not calendrical) … Continue reading
No eye has seen and no ear has heard what God has prepared for those who attain the bliss of heaven.
Christ has won for us the most precious gift of all: membership in the Kingdom of God.
It is a membership … Continue reading
From a reader…. it is clearly peony season!
One of these would be perfect for new priests. … older priests too, come to think of it.
Ah peonies…. in the back yard of one of the many places I lived as a … Continue reading
The new issue of New Jesuit Review is available and there are good articles in it.
Lessongs from Matteo Ricci for the Presentby Fr. David A. Brown, SJ
Ignatian Obedience in the Light of the Spiritual Exercisesby Fr. Andrew Garcia, SJ
Ignatius … Continue reading
From a reader:
Help, my daughters wedding was yesterday and I was stuck, what is an appropriate tip or gratuity for the our parish Priest, besides what the parish charges, 20 50 100 I’m lost. After the Mass I just stood … Continue reading
From a reader:
I was at Mass today. It was a First Holy Communion. There were many things that were obviously not right, but one thing stood above the rest of the usual novelties and abuses. It was the Eucharistic Prayer. … Continue reading
Please pray for David, who died recently.
When ever I go to a ball game, or turn on a ball game… that by default that is of course baseball… I always thing… maybe this time… who knows….
Will I see an unassisted triple play?Will I see the cycle?Will … Continue reading
From the the Enchiridion of Indulgences, #25:
A partial indulgence is granted to the Christian faithful who, in a spirit of filial devotion, devoutly recite any duly approved prayer for the Supreme Pontiff (e.g., the Oremus pro Pontifice):
V. Let us … Continue reading
No frills 1st Vespers with the Breviarium Romanum for the tired brethren.