Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- JustaSinner: Something tells me you’ re not stopping at any Mickey Ds this trip… ;
- Fr Martin Fox: The title of my homily was “The Shepherd 8217;s path and same-sex attraction .” I explained the ChurchR 17;s teaching, I addressed how we got where we are, and how...
- capchoirgirl: Calabria! My ancestral homeland! Someday I want to visit̷ 0;
- Cicero_NOLA: I heard Mass at the convent of the Handmaids of the Eucharist (Seitai Hoshikai) in Akita, Japan. The homily was in Japanese, so I read from Mother LoyolaR 17;s excellent “...
- frjim4321: Sheep have good, directiona l hearing; they go in the direction of a friendly voice that brings them together; they are gregarious . If we are to be good sheep, we will hear the voice of...
- KAS: For me, the saddest part of the old translatio n, and the much better new translatio n, is that I find the literal translatio ns you do to be far more meaningful and lovely in very nearly...
- JabbaPapa: You’ ll all *love* the food down in Puglia, Father …
- Fr Martin Fox: Father: Was there anything else in the drink? I am planning to replicate it. [You can add either gin or, less ideally, vodka. I didn’ ;t have any gin in it last night because of...
- Kathleen10: Blessed and safe travels, Fr. Z. Photos of food and travels are welcome. I’ll never go to Europe, so it’s all new and interestin g to me.
- Suburbanbanshee: I remember. I was home from work because I was sick as a dog, projectile vomit and all. I got some sleep with the TV still on, and suddenly there was white smoke! So much joy! Papa...
- Lucas: Ahhhh! Calabria! You’ ll love it there. Great food!
- rwj: The funny thing in that every pizza put in that over simply ‘dis appears 217;. [This mystery requires investigat ion.]
- Antonin: The Pope is the pope, final authority, final arbiter. Period. Full stop. Even if what is being reported is true, the Pope failed in leadership . The mass we have not is the mass of Paul VI
- Marius2k4: At least in September, Naples is hot. Pompeii was awesome, however.
- HighMass: If Paul VI wept then why did he not reverse the Mass?
- Carrie: Wow, time goes fast! I was sitting at a parish staff meeting when someone received a phone call with the news. The array of intense reactions/ emotions around the table was something to...
- David Collins: Thank you! I never heard of this! Please God, may I receive this Apostolic Pardon. Wow!
- dallenl: Excellent. On a side note , it kind of reminds me of the adulation given to Billy Graham on his passing. He emphasized a “dec ision for ChristR 21; but let denominati onal diffe...
- David Collins: I converted to the Church in the 90s at a parish that had an indult Sunday latin mass and vernacular weekday and Sunday masses. The richness of the prayers in the St. Joseph Daily...
- JustaSinner: How about a Kindle Fire 8 HD, Father? I’d recommend the child̵ 7;s edition because it is made stronger 8212;some sort of LCD bumpers, and has a cool drop proof grippy...
- semperficatholic: Petitionin g Our Lady of Loreto
- iamlucky13: This post affected one of the more startling realizatio ns I’ve had that despite being raised in a very dedicated Catholic family and well catechized , being born over a decade...
- HvonBlumenthal: Pilate saith to him: What is truth? And when he said this, he went out again to the Jews, and saith to them: I find no cause in him. But you have a custom that I should release one...
- Andrew: Mezzogiorn o edition also known as “men zijurnu 221; edition.
- TonyO: What I don’t understand is this: we know (from reputable testimonie s such as Fr Wiltgen’s The Rhine Flows Into the Tiber) that Vatican II was manipulate d. … namely that the mis-na...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- WDTPRS 3rd Sunday after Easter (TLM): Be distinguished by your profession of Christ!
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Felix Natalis Dies Roma!
- My View For Awhile: Mezzogiorno Edition
- 20 April 2007 – Msgr. Richard Schuler – RIP
- 19 April 2005: Benedict XVI elected
- “And Paul VI wept”. More fascinating notes about the Pope and the liturgical reform.
- Wherein Fr. Z rants about the Church as “field hospital”. Brutal horror, heroic wonder.
- WDTPRS: 4th Sunday of Easter (2002MR) – Mighty humble Shepherd, humble mighty flock
- HUGE Fr. Z kudos to a reader who wrote to bishops about the important Apostolic Pardon
- My View For A While: Mystery City
- Connection of home-schooling and entering seminary
- ASK FATHER: “My 4 year old insists on praying in Latin.” Latin resources for young children?
- A bishop, black vestments and refreshing commonsense!
- ASK FATHER: Priest Mumbles Words of Absolution. Fr. Z says: FATHERS! Stop being JACKASSES and do it right!
- Shamefaced self-promotion with warm thanks to benefactors
- “If it’s just a symbol, then to hell with it!” Wherein a Lutheran tells it as it is and then Fr. Z rants a lot.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – Good Shepherd – AUDIO
- ASK FATHER: Communion twice in a day. But is Communion under both species already twice?
- ASK FATHER: Catholic betrothal rite, ceremony
- WDTPRS – 2nd Sunday after Easter (TLM): joy, devastation and rising
- BOOKS RECEIVED: Two VERY different DAUGHTERS!
- I’ve decided. I’m for arming teachers and the Rule of Law
- Fr. Murray and Prof. Royal opine on latest developments
- 28 April – PONTIFICAL TLM at Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
- St. Michael the Extremely Cool Samurai Archangel, defend us in battle!
- “O my God, make them like a wheel; * and as stubble before the wind.” Consolation from a Psalm.
- “Why Trappist ale tastes better”
- WDTPRS – 3rd Sunday of Easter (Novus Ordo): a candle is honey sweet summons
- @austinruse on “Slippery Jim” @JamesMartinSJ and his non-explanation explanation
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Monthly Archives: June 2010
You should take a moment to read the latest post by His Hermeneuticalness, Fr. Finigan, about liturgical silence.
Here is a bit.
One of the attractions for many people, of the celebration of Mass according to the usus antiquior is that there … Continue reading
I have written before about the iPad app for the Roman Missal (which costs $4.99 through iTunes), iMissal.
Not much reason to write about it again, except for a few details. For example, I wondered what would happen with a new … Continue reading
From Operation Rescue with my edits:
Clinton Era Memo Betrays Kagan’s Extremist Pro-Abortion Thinking
Written by Operation RescuePosted June 30, 2010
Commentary by Cheryl Sullenger, Senior Policy Advisor, Operation Rescue
Washington, DC – Earlier this week, the Clinton Library released a number … Continue reading
The usual stream of pre-summer break appointments is flowing from the Holy See.
The other day, I wrote about what one commentator here quipped could be called the Congregatio pro repropaganda. We weren’t sure what the new dicastery was going to … Continue reading
Did I mention garum?
Buy your garum using amazon (when available)!
From rogueclassicism comes this about that precious liquid garum, in modern terms colatura. (Check here and here.)
Are Classicists aware of this event in Tunisia?
The Garum summer festival was held … Continue reading
What did the Pope of Christian Unity really say to new Archbishops and to the delegate of the Ecumenical Patriarch?
From the website of Vatican Radio here is the English text of the Holy Father’s sermon for the Solemnity of Sts … Continue reading
I had an interesting note from a priest with a question:
I want to put in our sacristy a sign for visiting priests about the name of the bishop so they know what name to say during the Eucharistic Prayer. Since … Continue reading
Today during Holy Mass in the Basilica of St. Peter, near to Peter’s tomb, the Holy Father gave the pallium to new metropolitan archbishops.
The pallium is a sign of the jurisdiction metropolitans have in their provinces and also a … Continue reading
What about those Russian sleepers in the USA!
Ironically, last night I watched the last episode of season 7 of what is called in the USA MI-5 (in the UK Spooks) about the Russians waking up sleepers in UK to launch … Continue reading
On detnews.com (The Detroit News) Fr. Robert Sirico has a column about the terms the ramifications of driving freedom of religion from the public square.
My emphases and comments.
Don’t devalue Christian heritageFr. Robert Sirico
A week or so ago I struck up … Continue reading